Am I the only athiest on here, who when...

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
...they read posts by the true-blue god botherers (ie, The Light), it only reinforces the fact there is no god? And if by some minor miracle it turns out that there is some sort of god out there, he or she would be sorely disappointed with the quality of his or her recruits

Last edited:
I'm not an atheist, but my thinking brain is agnostic and my feeling brain believes in a god.

My feeling brain believes in a god because it works for me - makes me feel better - and that is just so subjective that it's not even worth my arguing one way or the other about it. It's like arguing with someone as to why a certain color is their favorite. There is little logical to it, so using logic to argue it one way or the other is an effort in futility.

So, I usually use my agnostic side when discussing this topic. My agnostic side, says that one cannot prove the existence or the nonexistence of a god. The agruments for the existence of a god seems to depend on non-falsifiabilty. The arguments for the non-existene of a god do, too.

It's not all that challenging to me.

When I do get in some sort of discussion about it it is to defend a person's right to a belief or non-belief.

Grump, people like to think they think - I think it was Nietzsche who said, never look too close at an experience you may see its emptiness.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." Abraham Lincoln

Karen Armstrong: Let's revive the Golden Rule | Video on TED.com

Rick Warren on a life of purpose | Video on TED.com
Dan Dennett's response to Rick Warren | Video on TED.com

The Brights' Net - Frequently Asked Questions

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." Anais Nin

Nobody gives a crap what Dr. Chump believes or doesn't believe.

Is there divine Creator? I don't know for sure. It's all a matter of belief and/or faith.

One can Believe in God and get ridiculed by some pompous asshole like Dr. Chump.

One may be an agnostic (i.e., admit that he or she doesn't "know" and choose to express such doubt).

Or one may be an atheist and express the belief (but again, it's JUST a belief) that there is no God.

Why atheists pretend that their mere belief is superior to the beliefs of people of religious faith is a bit of a mystery.

People like Dr. Chump are just arrogant pantloads.

Si

I'm pretty much the same as you with regard to belief. I just find the real holy rollers turn offs and do nothing to advance their cause...

Grump, people like to think they think - I think it was Nietzsche who said, never look too close at an experience you may see its emptiness.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." Abraham Lincoln

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." Anais Nin

I agree with Anais

Hey speaking of Nietzsche. When I just left school I worked in a book store. One of the books was on great lines of graffiti.

One such piece of graffiti scrawled on some wall somewhere went something along the lines of: "God is dead" - Nietzsche. Written underneath, in different handwriting/spray was "Nietzsche is Dead" - God.

Is there divine Creator? I don't know for sure. It's all a matter of belief and/or faith.

One can Believe in God and get ridiculed by some pompous asshole like Dr. Chump.

One may be an agnostic (i.e., admit that he or she doesn't "know" and choose to express such doubt).

Or one may be an atheist and express the belief (but again, it's JUST a belief) that there is no God.

Why atheists pretend that their mere belief is superior to the beliefs of people of religious faith is a bit of a mystery.

And yet here you are contributing to this thread..

...I'm not so much arrogant as surprised....

I don't think my belief is superior, just right - and there is a difference.

Well, the thing is, I'll take my chances when the time comes...
Then you are likely more accurately an agnostic.

Atheists are convinced that there is no god. Which, is sort of ironic to me. The word itself means 'the opposite of a believer in a god'. Just as one believes there is God, one must also believe that there is no God. I say that because beliefs are brains processes not based on proof. As one can neither prove the existence of a god nor the nonexistence of one, being an atheist seems to be just as much a belief.

I know that pisses off atheists to say that (and that is not my intent), but I do believe that my argument is sound on that until I see a counter that has a great logical foundation.

Last edited:
Si

I'm pretty much the same as you with regard to belief. I just find the real holy rollers turn offs and do nothing to advance their cause...
I understand. They are turnoffs to me, too. That's probably why I stay out of those threads for the most part

It just gets so emotional. Futile.

Responding doesn't mean I care about YOUR expressed opinion. I have other motivations to respond. Like, for example, pointing out your hypocrisy is an enjoyable passtime.

And unless you think that a correct belief is not better than an incorrect belief, then of course you think your belief is superior, you mental midget.

Are you always this dishonest?

Your belief isn't "right." It MIGHT be but then again it might not be.

Lots of simpletons with a small measure of knowledge pontificate as you do. Such schmucks love to lecture in their supercilious way that "there is no valid scientific reason to presume the existence of a divine (supernatural) Creator. Science has informed us of the Big Bang, after all!"

Of course, you have exactly zero way of explaining where the STUFF that exploded in the instant of Big Bang Creation CAME FROM.

Good scientists are perfectly capable of admitting this much. But arrogant twits like you cannot.

(BTW, saying this does not mean that there "must be a Divine Creator" either. For, either way we get left with the puzzle in one form or another. But to flatly deny something without admitting that there is no factual predicate for that denial is just so Chumpish of you, Dr. Chump.)

Last edited:
Si

I am totally convinced there is no god, but if by some minor miracle there is, I reckon I can talk him or her around...heh..

Interesting re beliefs, and it actually makes sense.

Jillian

I concur!!!

Off now, late here

laters

Si

I am totally convinced there is no god, but if by some minor miracle there is, I reckon I can talk him or her around...heh..

Interesting re beliefs, and it actually makes sense.

Jillian

I concur!!!

Off now, late here

laters
Cool! I sort of like that argument, too.

Responding doesn't mean I care about YOUR expressed opinion. I have other motivations to respond. Like, for example, pointing out your hypocrisy is an enjoyable passtime.

And unless you think that a correct belief is not better than an incorrect belief, then of course you think your belief is superior, you mental midget.

Are you always this dishonest?

Your belief isn't "right." It MIGHT be but then again it might not be.

Lots of simpletons with a small measure of knowledge pontificate as you do. Such schmucks love to lecture in their supercilious way that "there is no valid scientific reason to presume the existence of a divine (supernatural) Creator. Science has informed us of the Big Bang, after all!"

Of course, you have exactly zero way of explaining where the STUFF that exploded in the instant of Big Bang Creation CAME FROM.

Good scientists are perfectly capable of admitting this much. But arrogant twits like you cannot.

(BTW, saying this does not mean that there "must be" a Divine Creator" either. For, either way we get left with the puzzle in one form or another. But to flatly deny something without admitting that there is no factual predicate for that denial is just so Chumpish of you, Dr. Chump.)
Grump has just as much a right not to believe as you do to believe. At least, here in the USA, he does.

See, cognitively, his thinking is sound as is mine. That doesn't make me superior nor him, because we are not talking about cognitive thoughts. This is an emotional argument on its face. It's subjective. You believe because it works for you, it's right for you. He doesn't because it works for him, it's right for him. And there can be two rights as it cannot be proven one way or the other.

Live and let live.

Last edited:

(BTW, saying this does not mean that there "must be a Divine Creator" either. For, either way we get left with the puzzle in one form or another. But to flatly deny something without admitting that there is no factual predicate for that denial is just so Chumpish of you, Dr. Chump.)

you know... i'm not quite sure why the namecalling. nor am i sure why you think his 'opinion' doesn't matter. if you go there, then none of our opinions parricularly matter, yet we all state them with impugnity. no?

now, i believe in g-d... but i don't think g-d is a guy with a beard in a white robe on a throne somewhere anymore than i believe the messiah was a rabbi from nazareth. i also happen to believe that what we think we know about G-d is very limited and we only are given the information that our limited brains can comprehend. I think making G-d human does him a disservice.

what the big bang is... is interesting... because if you read A Brief History of Time, then the big bang as discussed in that book is actually quite compatible with religious beliefs..... unless of course one takes the bible literally, which was never intended.

I don't understand atheist who feel the need to tell everyone they are an atheist.
Why?

At the same time it is annoying as hell that forums everywhere have these same tired threads where someone proclaims "I am an athiest...look at me!" all the while making comments about how stupid everyone else is for believing in a God.

Why not STFU and let people believe what they want? Belief in God comforts millions of people everyday...I think that is great. Better than popping pills to make you feel better.

I agree with Anais

Hey speaking of Nietzsche. When I just left school I worked in a book store. One of the books was on great lines of graffiti.

One such piece of graffiti scrawled on some wall somewhere went something along the lines of: "God is dead" - Nietzsche. Written underneath, in different handwriting/spray was "Nietzsche is Dead" - God.

to be is to do- socrates

to do is to be-sartre

do be do be do- sinatra

I don't understand atheist who feel the need to tell everyone they are an atheist.
Why?

At the same time it is annoying as hell that forums everywhere have these same tired threads where someone proclaims "I am an athiest...look at me!" all the while making comments about how stupid everyone else is for believing in a God.

Why not STFU and let people believe what they want? Belief in God comforts millions of people everyday...I think that is great. Better than popping pills to make you feel better.

i suspect if the uber religious stopped trying to use their religious beliefs as a basis for law and policy, then we'd all ignore them. :)

but feel free to tell THEM to STFU and it's all good.

Forum List

Back