Am I the only athiest on here, who when...

what the big bang is... is interesting... because if you read A Brief History of Time, then the big bang as discussed in that book is actually quite compatible with religious beliefs..... unless of course one takes the bible literally, which was never intended.

Yes.

And people look at me all the time going "huh?" When I try to talk to them about it.

what the big bang is... is interesting... because if you read A Brief History of Time, then the big bang as discussed in that book is actually quite compatible with religious beliefs..... unless of course one takes the bible literally, which was never intended.

Yes.

And people look at me all the time going "huh?" When I try to talk to them about it.

huh?

Yes.

huh?

Make me a mod so I can lock YOU out, ya bastid.

Yes.

that's because people believe what they want to. there are belief systems which are quite literal. but for the four thousand years jews had the bible before christianity came around, no one viewed it as a literal work. and viewing something literally which isn't even 100% accurately translated from its original makes no sense to me.

the bible is a mixture of history and allegory... it was supposed to teach life lessons to a rowdy desert people.

*edit* actually, let me rephrase, MOST didn't view it as a literal work. there have always been fundamentalists in every religious group.

I don't understand atheist who feel the need to tell everyone they are an atheist.
Why?

At the same time it is annoying as hell that forums everywhere have these same tired threads where someone proclaims "I am an athiest...look at me!" all the while making comments about how stupid everyone else is for believing in a God.

Why not STFU and let people believe what they want? Belief in God comforts millions of people everyday...I think that is great. Better than popping pills to make you feel better.

i suspect if the uber religious stopped trying to use their religious beliefs as a basis for law and policy, then we'd all ignore them. :)

but feel free to tell THEM to STFU and it's all good.

I have, and will likely do so again.
However, when a religious person knocks on our door and invites us to their church I thank them, afterall they have nothing but positive intent.
But an atheist has nothing positive to offer. Their intent is rarely positive, usually ranging from smug self promotion or just plain insulting.

I don't understand atheist who feel the need to tell everyone they are an atheist.
Why?

At the same time it is annoying as hell that forums everywhere have these same tired threads where someone proclaims "I am an athiest...look at me!" all the while making comments about how stupid everyone else is for believing in a God.

Why not STFU and let people believe what they want? Belief in God comforts millions of people everyday...I think that is great. Better than popping pills to make you feel better.

i suspect if the uber religious stopped trying to use their religious beliefs as a basis for law and policy, then we'd all ignore them. :)

However, when a religious person knocks on our door and invites us to their church I thank them, afterall they have nothing but positive intent.
But an atheist has nothing positive to offer. Their intent is rarely positive, usually ranging from smug self promotion or just plain insulting.

Offering to brainwash you is a positive intent?:cuckoo:

Athiests are doing you and the world a service by attempting to make the human species smarter by pointing out that basing one's life on fantasy is childish and ultimately dangerous. That is a positive effort.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

However, when a religious person knocks on our door and invites us to their church I thank them, after all they have nothing but positive intent.

Offering to brainwash you is a positive intent?:cuckoo:

Athiests are doing you and the world a service by attempting to make the human species smarter by pointing out that basing one's life on fantasy is childish and ultimately dangerous. That is a positive effort.

People get smarter on their own in a free society.
You look at America just 25 - 30 years ago - evolution was this blasphemes-evil scheme to remove religion from our children. Today evolution is accepted by religious and non-religious people.
Another example - the bible itself. 50 years ago the bible was accepted as the absolute unquestionable word of God. Today, most religions see it for what it is - a general guide that is known to have been altered many times throughout history.
Religion if allowed to do so - can be the bane of a society. it can and will create unbearable conditions where death is the alternative to believing...accept it or die.
However, religion can and does create very positive conditions in a successful society. If people believe they will be rewarded by living in paradise forever by being a good person, and burn in an eternal fire if they harm others...this benefits society greatly.

Last edited:
You look at America just 25 - 30 years ago - evolution was this blasphemes-evil scheme to remove religion from our children. Today evolution is accepted by religious and non-religious people.
Another example - the bible itself. 50 years ago the bible was accepted as the absolute unquestionable word of God. Today, most religions see it for what it is - a general guide that is known to have been altered many times throughout history.
Religion if allowed to do so - can be the bane of a society. it can and will create unbearable conditions where death is the alternative to believing...accept it or die.
However, religion can and does create very positive conditions in a successfull society. If people believe they will be rewarded by living in paradise forever by being a good person, and burn in an eternal fire if they harm others...this benefits society greatly.

people don't get smarter. presumably they get more educated. but only if they actually learn from the people who have knowledge. right now, amazingly, in this country, 70% of the populaiton does not believe in evolution. that is a travesty. and to exacerbate that atrocious number, the extremists want to blur the lines between science and religion further by pretending that 'intelligent design' (nothing more than a deceptive way of saying 'creationism') is equally valid and should be taught as science. they want to use 'vouchers' to send their children to parochial schools with our money... and they rail against the separation of church and state.

religion can be a comfort and a curse. it is a comfort if used as a means to one's own spiritual journey. it is a curse if it is imposed on others.

However, religion can and does create very positive conditions in a successfull society. If people believe they will be rewarded by living in paradise forever by being a good person, and burn in an eternal fire if they harm others...this benefits society greatly.

people don't get smarter. presumably they get more educated. but only if they actually learn from the people who have knowledge. right now, amazingly, in this country, 70% of the populaiton does not believe in evolution. that is a travesty. and to exacerbate that atrocious number, the extremists want to blur the lines between science and religion further by pretending that 'intelligent design' (nothing more than a deceptive way of saying 'creationism') is equally valid and should be taught as science. they want to use 'vouchers' to send their children to parochial schools with our money... and they rail against the separation of church and state.

religion can be a comfort and a curse. it is a comfort if used as a means to one's own spiritual journey. it is a curse if it is imposed on others.

Not sure where the "70%" deal comes from, I don't buy that. Evolution is undeniable and even fits in with religious beliefs.
Other than that, there isn't much of what you say here I disagree with.

What is the definition of intelligent design that you are using? Mine is different.

There are times in my life when I can relate to those that believe in god. When I first start to wake up...before my eyes are open ...and I am still in that half dream state where I must say goodbye to the babes and the sparkling beaches. It is very comfortable believing even for a few moments more the fantasies that carried me through the night.

There are times in my life when I can relate to those that believe in god. When I first start to wake up...before my eyes are open ...and I am still in that half dream state where I must say goodbye to the babes and the sparkling beaches. It is very comfortable believing even for a few moments more the fantasies that carried me through the night.

This is what I am talking about.
And the kind of person that gives atheist a bad name.
This false sense of righteousness that because he proclaims a disbelief in a deity he is above all of these ignorant fools.

Atheism is not an honor badge. It doesn't make you smarter.
There are assclowns and morons everywhere - and the ranks of atheist are not immune to them.

Of course, you have exactly zero way of explaining where the STUFF that exploded in the instant of Big Bang Creation CAME FROM.

Good scientists are perfectly capable of admitting this much. But arrogant twits like you cannot.

(BTW, saying this does not mean that there "must be a Divine Creator" either. For, either way we get left with the puzzle in one form or another. But to flatly deny something without admitting that there is no factual predicate for that denial is just so Chumpish of you, Dr. Chump.)

you know... i'm not quite sure why the namecalling. nor am i sure why you think his 'opinion' doesn't matter. if you go there, then none of our opinions parricularly matter, yet we all state them with impugnity. no?

now, i believe in g-d... but i don't think g-d is a guy with a beard in a white robe on a throne somewhere anymore than i believe the messiah was a rabbi from nazareth. i also happen to believe that what we think we know about G-d is very limited and we only are given the information that our limited brains can comprehend. I think making G-d human does him a disservice.

YOU are not quite sure "why the namecalling." So? That means only that you are unfamiliar with the history between Dr. Chump and me (and between him and others).

His opinion -- and the expression of his mere opinion -- is all well and good as far as declaring where he stands on this issue of beliefs. Where his opinion ceases to matter is at that point where -- being the arrogant cock that he is -- he finds it necessary to denigrate the religious beliefs of folks who disagree with him. If you cannot track that part of it, then it's entirely on you, Jilly.

You have "a" belief in God. That's nice. Yours differs from mine, perhaps. That too is fine.

And the author of A Brief History of Time has also opined a bit differently on this very topic since that book was written.

This means that even the unnaturally smart people are subject to changing their opinions/beliefs. That, too, is fine.

But when anybody (a religious zealot or an antagonistic atheist) insists that his and only his belief is logical or rational or reasonable or well-founded, then they deserve to be subject to a bit of ridicule.

I am not very religious, myself. But I am curious why you think you can claim (without support) that the Bible was never intended to be taken literally. I happen to agree that it is a mistake to assume that it was intended to be taken literally. But I don't know that the Bible stories were not INTENDED to be taken seriously when crafted or written. It appears to me that many of those stories were intended to be taken literally.

But when anybody (a religious zealot or an antagonistic atheist) insists that his and only his belief is logical or rational or reasonable or well-founded, then they deserve to be subject to a bit of ridicule.

I don't think that's what Dr Grump did...Do you???

Atheists are convinced that there is no god. Which, is sort of ironic to me. The word itself means 'the opposite of a believer in a god'. Just as one believes there is God, one must also believe that there is no God. I say that because beliefs are brains processes not based on proof. As one can neither prove the existence of a god nor the nonexistence of one, being an atheist seems to be just as much a belief.

Being an atheist may be a belief, but it is based on a mountain of evidence, IDers have yet to formulate a theory of...anything substatial really; other than trying to chip away at one or two insignificant aspects of evolution (irriducible complexity/flagelum) which doesn't really answer anything.

if ID wants to be taken seriously then it will have to ante-up big time with contrary evidence...:eusa_pray:

True blue atheist here.

And comfortable with the notion that people can be privately superstitious. I even enjoy a ritual or two with them.

Am I the only athiest on here, who when......they read posts by the true-blue god botherers (ie, The Light), it only reinforces the fact there is no god? And if by some minor miracle it turns out that there is some sort of god out there, he or she would be sorely disappointed with the quality of his or her recruits

Si

I'm pretty much the same as you with regard to belief. I just find the real holy rollers turn offs and do nothing to advance their cause...

Maybe posters like THE LIGHT are really poking fun at religious people on purpose with satirical sock puppets trying to give the impression that religious people are nutjobs just for the fun of it...?

I don't think that's what Dr Grump did...Do you???

You don't pick up nuance all that well, do you?

No, I missed where he denigrated anyone's beliefs here...

Maybe you can "track" it for me?

His opinion -- and the expression of his mere opinion -- is all well and good as far as declaring where he stands on this issue of beliefs. Where his opinion ceases to matter is at that point where -- being the arrogant cock that he is -- he finds it necessary to denigrate the religious beliefs of folks who disagree with him. If you cannot track that part of it, then it's entirely on you, Jilly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back