Algebra and Geometry now required for High School graduation! What do you think?

They use public funds to teach them how to put on a condom, after all... :rolleyes:

You should see some of the fluff classes they have these days. A bunch of touchy feely female nonsense.

College prep? Algebra and geometry?! Where the hell did YOU go to school? Where I went to school, we began learning geometry in the seventh grade and algebra in the eighth. It was considered basic education. At my local community college, they're considered remedial math, taken by people who don't meet the minimum requirements for the basic general ed courses on their degree program.

What use are they for most people? Gee, I don't know. Ever try to carpet a bedroom and figure out how much you need? Or do you just pay extra to have someone else handle it? I used geometry not that long ago to plan a vegetable garden for my yard. Yeah, I could pay a gardener to do it, but why? And basic algebraic principles are applied every time you work an equation requiring you to find a variable. I do it several times a day without even thinking about it. We're not talking about rocket science here.

Hello, you don't need advanced geometry to plan out a vegetable garden. That would require rather basic math learned by 7th grade. :doubt: Or, are they calling that geometry these days? They didn't inflate things back in my day like they do now.

Hello! Where did I say "advanced"? Perhaps you should have spent some more time in English class too, to improve your reading comprehension.

And no, it doesn't "require basic math", dumbass. It's geography. Basic geography, but geography nevertheless. And how advanced it is depends on the topography of the yard. Maybe "back in your day", someone should have defined "geography" for you so you wouldn't sound like such a fool now.

By the way, Einstein. You were just bitching and moaning about schools not teaching carpentry. Perhaps someone should have mentioned to you that carpenters use both the algebra and the geometry that you hold in such contempt.

Moron.

Do you know the definition of geography, per chance? :lol:

Hint: it has nothing to do with mathematics...:eusa_shhh:

I went to my daughter's orientation for incoming Freshmen at her high school. They mentioned that new standards required the completion of Algebra and Geometry for High School graduation.

I was surprised. When I went to school we took those courses as prereqs for college. Now, my kids are all pretty good to excellent at math. One of my sons won 12th place in the State Math bowl, and is basically a math genius.

But, what use, actually, is it for many people to know geometry and algebra? Some people struggle in math, in spite of being very capable.

I wonder, also, if High School has not become too college-prep oriented. One of my sons went to Technical College and has done very well in the Refrigeration/Heating/Air Conditioning field, making good money. What about so many other fields of endeavor that our High Schools seem to ignore?

What do you all think of this subject?
Mathmatics has always and will always give agida. I hated it then, I hate it now.

As far as high schools being 'too' college-prep oriented ... I don't have a problem with it. Mostly because my HS senior is taking 4 AP classes this semester. He took two in his junior year and aced both AP final exams which has given him several credits toward college already.

Hello, you don't need advanced geometry to plan out a vegetable garden. That would require rather basic math learned by 7th grade. :doubt: Or, are they calling that geometry these days? They didn't inflate things back in my day like they do now.

Hello! Where did I say "advanced"? Perhaps you should have spent some more time in English class too, to improve your reading comprehension.

And no, it doesn't "require basic math", dumbass. It's geography. Basic geography, but geography nevertheless. And how advanced it is depends on the topography of the yard. Maybe "back in your day", someone should have defined "geography" for you so you wouldn't sound like such a fool now.

By the way, Einstein. You were just bitching and moaning about schools not teaching carpentry. Perhaps someone should have mentioned to you that carpenters use both the algebra and the geometry that you hold in such contempt.

Moron.

Geometry - a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement, properties, and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids; broadly : the study of properties of given elements that remain invariant under specified transformations

Hint: They have these books, called "dictionaries", that tell you the definitions of words. Your daughter's school probably uses them. Try not to have a conniption over it.

They use public funds to teach them how to put on a condom, after all... :rolleyes:

You should see some of the fluff classes they have these days. A bunch of touchy feely female nonsense.

You think they should teach them to put on a condom using a pair of pliers?

Ouch.

Moron.

Geometry - a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement, properties, and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids; broadly : the study of properties of given elements that remain invariant under specified transformations

Hint: They have these books, called "dictionaries", that tell you the definitions of words. Your daughter's school probably uses them. Try not to have a conniption over it.

OK, here's another test. Compare and contrast geometry and geography...:eusa_whistle: You get extra credit if you can do so without using the word 'moron' or 'idiot'.:lol:

algebra and geometry was required to graduate high school, when I went to school as well.

OK, here's another test. Compare and contrast geometry and geography...:eusa_whistle: You get extra credit if you can do so without using the word 'moron' or 'idiot'.:lol:

And the poo slinging begins.............................

<<<<<sigh>>>>>

I'm wonder why Algebra and Geometry are considered 'core' courses, but culinary arts, child development, basic carpentry, are not. I believe the latter are really more applicable to daily living.

Also, I'm continually amazed that my teenagers lack certain basic knowledge in Math, Geography, etc, yet all this emphasis on algebra? I got an A in algebra and geometry, but frankly, don't see much use for it for most professions. Yes, it gives one a better understanding of the universe, but in daily living basic Math really does suffice. And, as Foxfyre point out, our young people are often lacking in those basic skills.

I use algebra a lot sometimes just to buy groceries. Is the large economy size a better deal that the small size that is marked 15% off? If I want to scale down a recipe intended to produce 20 servings to a recipe that will serve 7 people, how much do I proportionately reduce the amount of each ingredient? And geometry? As an insurance adjuster in my not so distant past, I can't tell you all the ways I found to use geometry as well as in calculating how much paint or varnish or floor covering or something else to buy as Cecile pointed out. I didn't know that I would be an insurance adjuster sometime in my life. I wasn't thinking about buying groceries when I was taking 9th grade algebra.

Basic skills to me, however, involved balancing a checkbook, figuring out a household or personal budget and knowing whether you're staying within it, knowing whether you got the right change back from a $5 bill, understanding how much money is being deducted from your paycheck each week, taking notes at a trainng session, knowing where to look to get instructions for something and understanding the instructions when you read them, some basic chemistry skills--no, you don't mix Clorox with the Lime Away--yes you can substtitue baking soda for baking powder but you need to calculate a different quantity--okay I have X number of square feet of wall space to cover so I need X gallons of paint, etc. etc. etc.

And yes, algebra, geometry, and what I think should be other core curriculum all contribute to general education providing the basics that allow us to do ordinary daily tasks expediently and efficiently. And as for learning some basic history, social studies/government, basic reading comprehension and basic English skills, having to do at least some memory work, master some composition skills, etc. all so contribute to the person's quality of life and ability to be an informed and productive citizen, it simply goes without saying.

I always thought the rule in my husband's school that girls couldn't take shop and guys couldn't take Home-ec was stupid. On the other hand, the college bound kid might need advanced math and science courses more than s/he needs those more practical courses. I think a good school is flexible that way.

Ouch.

I think if you're too dumb to figure out how to use a condom, you should have a chastity device surgically applied to your privates to protect the gene pool.

Excuse me? You misidentify geometry as having "nothing to do with mathematics", refuse to acknowledge it when you're proven to be wrong AND full of shit, and you think YOU are giving ME tests? Buy a clue . . . assuming you can figure out how much it costs, given your shoddy mathematics education.

By the way, I haven't called you an idiot yet that I can recall, but if you want to cop to it, far be it from me to stop you.

Ouch.

I think if you're too dumb to figure out how to use a condom, you should have a chastity device surgically applied to your privates to protect the gene pool.

You're going to have to stay after class, my dear, and finish your geometry/geography comparison and contrast assignment. :razz:

I think Middleman has had geometry and algebra, but has blacked it out.

I have taken geometry, which I loved...and lots and lots of algebra. I took lots and lots because I kept flunking it. It's way more work than I'm accustomed to having to put out to get an A, and homework is something you can't fudge on in higher math. So naturally I didn't do well.

But I got the basics, and I'm glad I did.

Genetics are also all about high math and algebra. It's fascinating.

Excuse me? You misidentify geometry as having "nothing to do with mathematics", refuse to acknowledge it when you're proven to be wrong AND full of shit, and you think YOU are giving ME tests? Buy a clue . . . assuming you can figure out how much it costs, given your shoddy mathematics education.

By the way, I haven't called you an idiot yet that I can recall, but if you want to cop to it, far be it from me to stop you.

Excuse me, my dear, but you are the one who told everyone here how important geography is to mathematics. Also, your deportment on this thread is less than exemplary. I think you need to see the counselor regarding your inability to discuss things in class without resorting to insults. ;)

Ouch.

I'd be interested in hearing how you knew how to put on a condom the first time you used one.

I'm listening.:cool:

I'm wonder why Algebra and Geometry are considered 'core' courses, but culinary arts, child development, basic carpentry, are not. I believe the latter are really more applicable to daily living.

Also, I'm continually amazed that my teenagers lack certain basic knowledge in Math, Geography, etc, yet all this emphasis on algebra? I got an A in algebra and geometry, but frankly, don't see much use for it for most professions. Yes, it gives one a better understanding of the universe, but in daily living basic Math really does suffice. And, as Foxfyre point out, our young people are often lacking in those basic skills.

I use algebra a lot sometimes just to buy groceries. Is the large economy size a better deal that the small size that is marked 15% off? If I want to scale down a recipe intended to produce 20 servings to a recipe that will serve 7 people, how much do I proportionately reduce the amount of each ingredient? And geometry? As an insurance adjuster in my not so distant past, I can't tell you all the ways I found to use geometry as well as in calculating how much paint or varnish or floor covering or something else to buy as Cecile pointed out. I didn't know that I would be an insurance adjuster sometime in my life. I wasn't thinking about buying groceries when I was taking 9th grade algebra.

Basic skills to me, however, involved balancing a checkbook, figuring out a household or personal budget and knowing whether you're staying within it, knowing whether you got the right change back from a $5 bill, understanding how much money is being deducted from your paycheck each week, taking notes at a trainng session, knowing where to look to get instructions for something and understanding the instructions when you read them, some basic chemistry skills--no, you don't mix Clorox with the Lime Away--yes you can substtitue baking soda for baking powder but you need to calculate a different quantity--okay I have X number of square feet of wall space to cover so I need X gallons of paint, etc. etc. etc.

And yes, algebra, geometry, and what I think should be other core curriculum all contribute to general education providing the basics that allow us to do ordinary daily tasks expediently and efficiently. And as for learning some basic history, social studies/government, basic reading comprehension and basic English skills, having to do at least some memory work, master some composition skills, etc. all so contribute to the person's quality of life and ability to be an informed and productive citizen, it simply goes without saying.

I always thought the rule in my husband's school that girls couldn't take shop and guys couldn't take Home-ec was stupid. On the other hand, the college bound kid might need advanced math and science courses more than s/he needs those more practical courses. I think a good school is flexible that way.

Never crossed my mind to have any of my kids take Home Economics. By the time they reach high school - my middle one is a freshman now - they know how to cook several basic meals, how to clean a house effectively, how to do laundry, and the basics of money management. Be damned if I'm going to do all that shit for them all by myself!

My son has elected to take wood shop and auto shop in school this year, and plans to take welding next year. If he hadn't, he would still have learned the basics of auto maintenance and home repair at home, because I have no intention of sending my kids out into the world to be ripped off. He'll be fifteen this fall, and his father and I plan to give him an older-model car, basically sound but needing repairs, as a 16th-birthday present, and my friend, Sean, and my husband will be helping him to fix it up.

I went to my daughter's orientation for incoming Freshmen at her high school. They mentioned that new standards required the completion of Algebra and Geometry for High School graduation.

I was surprised. When I went to school we took those courses as prereqs for college. Now, my kids are all pretty good to excellent at math. One of my sons won 12th place in the State Math bowl, and is basically a math genius.

But, what use, actually, is it for many people to know geometry and algebra? Some people struggle in math, in spite of being very capable.

I wonder, also, if High School has not become too college-prep oriented. One of my sons went to Technical College and has done very well in the Refrigeration/Heating/Air Conditioning field, making good money. What about so many other fields of endeavor that our High Schools seem to ignore?

What do you all think of this subject?

Algebra and geometry are essiental root skills for many career paths in life now. Technologies that we did not have when I went to school.
Such as computers and their software. Both the manufacture of and programming of requires these basic skills.

Shall I quote you again, sweetheart? Note the bolded statements by you. :eusa_whistle:

College prep? Algebra and geometry?! Where the hell did YOU go to school? Where I went to school, we began learning geometry in the seventh grade and algebra in the eighth. It was considered basic education. At my local community college, they're considered remedial math, taken by people who don't meet the minimum requirements for the basic general ed courses on their degree program.

What use are they for most people? Gee, I don't know. Ever try to carpet a bedroom and figure out how much you need? Or do you just pay extra to have someone else handle it? I used geometry not that long ago to plan a vegetable garden for my yard. Yeah, I could pay a gardener to do it, but why? And basic algebraic principles are applied every time you work an equation requiring you to find a variable. I do it several times a day without even thinking about it. We're not talking about rocket science here.

Moron.

So, what did you mean, geography or geometry? Do you know the difference between these two disciples? How about geology, do you know what that is? :eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back