Algebra and Geometry now required for High School graduation! What do you think?

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
I went to my daughter's orientation for incoming Freshmen at her high school. They mentioned that new standards required the completion of Algebra and Geometry for High School graduation.

I was surprised. When I went to school we took those courses as prereqs for college. Now, my kids are all pretty good to excellent at math. One of my sons won 12th place in the State Math bowl, and is basically a math genius.

But, what use, actually, is it for many people to know geometry and algebra? Some people struggle in math, in spite of being very capable.

I wonder, also, if High School has not become too college-prep oriented. One of my sons went to Technical College and has done very well in the Refrigeration/Heating/Air Conditioning field, making good money. What about so many other fields of endeavor that our High Schools seem to ignore?

What do you all think of this subject?

We had to have algebra and geometry to graduate from high school when I went...and that was in the 80s.

Algebra and geometry apply themselves to all things. They really do. You don't realize it until you learn them, though, and I'm not good enough to explain it.

We had to have algebra and geometry to graduate from high school when I went...and that was in the 80s.

Algebra and geometry apply themselves to all things. They really do. You don't realize it until you learn them, though, and I'm not good enough to explain it.

What State did you graduate in?

I took Algebra in the 8th grade, then took geometry in the 9th, I think. Then I took Algebra again, in h.s. this time.

I had 4 years of Algebra, and used it a lot working in Communications.

Geometry I can see uses for all over the place. Even in the kitchen.

How many tomatoes can we can in a quart jar...........

umm i would hope its required. in good high schools calculus is taken in the senior year as well

Interesting. I've taken both courses, plus in college. Algebra was useful in Chemistry. Geometry was just fun and interesting to me, like doing Sudoku.

I graduated from a top public High School, in a wealthy, academically high achieving community in the 1970s, and Geometry and Algebra were not graduation requirements. Most people took them because they were required by colleges admissions standards.

Having a BS Chem Engr, and Secondary Certification to teach Math, Physics, and Chemistry in Texas, as well as having worked in both fields, and having kids taking Algebra and Geometry, plus having worked in the capacity of a public school administrator, raising the graduation standards for Public High School is a GOAL.

Given any goal, there will be pessimists and optimists.

Frankly, I lean toward pessimism, but not heavily.

On the one hand, I approve of raising goals.

On the other hand, I don't see making silk purses out of sows ears as being a realistic goal.

Parents, including myself, want their kids to take a LOT of MATH, in hopes that they will be part of the HIGHLY SKILLED workforce that will be the only individuals that will be employable in the future. We, including myself, will not stop short of diluding ourselves in our belief that the fruit of our loins are capable.

The public school responds to parents, and adds the courses to the curriculum......but, who teaches the classes? Do good teachers take the extraordinary battery of college math courses needed to become certified? After taking all the math necessary to get an engineering degree I had to take ANOTHER math class to be certified!!!! WTF?

And then public schools expect to retain math teachers in an economy that pays them X2 or X3 if they work in private industry?

This in only the tip of the iceberg of problems that arise when you increase the graduation requirements with additional math classes.

Last edited:
I don't, however, agree that Geometry and Algebra are pre-reqs to obtain a well-paid job. There are many fields that don't require mastery of this facet of academia.

i went to high school in nyc and i took algebra and geometry and had to do regents in both. that might have been the particular program i was in, though. i don't know what the basic requirements were for graduation

I don't, however, agree that Geometry and Algebra are pre-reqs to obtain a well-paid job. There are many fields that don't require mastery of this facet of academia.

I'm going on information published recently, predicting that after this recession, job growth will be limited to those that are Highly Skilled or menial labors, with few jobs in between.

I also agree that Mastery of Geometry is not necessary to become a lawyer (athough the logic taught is a plus) or Physician, or even an Engineer.

However, we're talking about what the PUBLIC thinks. The PUBLIC equates raising the bar on PUBLIC High School Graduation requirements in MATH with a more highly skilled graduate. Whether or not this is a fact is quite immaterial.

i went to high school in nyc and i took algebra and geometry and had to do regents in both. that might have been the particular program i was in, though. i don't know what the basic requirements were for graduation

Well, you are extraordinary, regardless of whatever program public school may have offered.

Well, you are extraordinary, regardless of whatever program public school may have offered.

awwww... shucks. lol.. :redface:

you're just sayin' that.

Because my parents moved one summer when I was away from home, I attended two different highschools. In both schools, Algebra I and Geometry were part of the core curriculum and required for all students to graduate. Ditto for when my kids were in school. I guess it never occurred to me that those were not requirements for graduation these days.

awwww... shucks. lol.. :redface:

you're just sayin' that.

To an extent....but in a broader sense, I'm serious: The very small fraction of the population that passes through public high school to excel in colleges and universities, and then to become the most productive citizens, often are the product of circumstance and excellent genetics that impart both emotional and intellectual intelligence.

These qualities are quite independent of public school offerings.

I went to my daughter's orientation for incoming Freshmen at her high school. They mentioned that new standards required the completion of Algebra and Geometry for High School graduation.

I was surprised. When I went to school we took those courses as prereqs for college. Now, my kids are all pretty good to excellent at math. One of my sons won 12th place in the State Math bowl, and is basically a math genius.

But, what use, actually, is it for many people to know geometry and algebra? Some people struggle in math, in spite of being very capable.

I wonder, also, if High School has not become too college-prep oriented. One of my sons went to Technical College and has done very well in the Refrigeration/Heating/Air Conditioning field, making good money. What about so many other fields of endeavor that our High Schools seem to ignore?

What do you all think of this subject?

Stop telling your kids Geometry and Algebra are hard. They are not. They are as useful as figuring gas mileage and knowing how much paint to cover the outside of your house. A few simple rules. Easier than adding a colume of numbers. People use simple rules every day. Do you use your toaster to open a can of chili? Simple rule...use the can opener. Same thing.

Forum List

Back