Air Force Party, Pretty Great Night

I went to the recruiters one day took the tests about 4 days later, went to Meps the following week and left from there to Basic.

Thats what I'm saying, my experience was very similar. My original plan was to wait until August and spend some more time partying since I finished high school and work on my car, but I got a call from my recruiter 5 days before July 4th and he told me my ship out was scheduled for the 4th. In retrospect I am glad I just went ahead and got basic over with.

Wow, I wish I could say our's is that quick, we actually spend a lot of time with our recruiter, he is a really great guy, he pushes us hard.

Matter fact, our recruiter was the only one who's DEP got him presents, my old recruiter who is in charge of the old dep before they switched us to a closer DEP, the current one I am in, didn't get any, and his DEP is like 2x our size nearly. The other recruiters eyed their dep the whole night while our's was really surprised, he didn't think the DEP would get him anything, but we'd all chipped in for him a shaving kit with airforce emblem on it, and then I got him a Georgia Bulldogs shirt, and another DEP'er got him a shirt of his accent lol.

Thanks for Serving High_Gravity, I know their had to be rough times, but no matter what, you kept going .

Definently hard times but I tell you what, I made friends for life in the AF and I still keep in touch with them to this very day, especially the people I met on my deployment to Kuwait. Everyday in the Air Force is not a party but you will meet some of the finest people and experience things you will never forget.

Yea, we have had 1 bad day, that was a day we ran in the rain it was really cold (for Tennessee that is like 28-30 Farenheit) and it started raining, we only did 2 miles [as opposed to the 4 1/2 the PT before] but I twisted my ankle and fell on the last spring [we sprint for the finish, if we don't get their fast enough, we have to run another mile lol]. That was the only bad time, but it wasn't because of anything other then my ankle getting hurt and rolling on cement lol.

Yo be easy with that, you don't want to injure yourself before you show up to basic training. You will have plenty of PT tests there and you will do PT everyday, if you get hurt and they decide you need to placed on a waiver you can get recycled and spend more time in basic than you want to, just something to keep in mind.

Definently hard times but I tell you what, I made friends for life in the AF and I still keep in touch with them to this very day, especially the people I met on my deployment to Kuwait. Everyday in the Air Force is not a party but you will meet some of the finest people and experience things you will never forget.

Yea, we have had 1 bad day, that was a day we ran in the rain it was really cold (for Tennessee that is like 28-30 Farenheit) and it started raining, we only did 2 miles [as opposed to the 4 1/2 the PT before] but I twisted my ankle and fell on the last spring [we sprint for the finish, if we don't get their fast enough, we have to run another mile lol]. That was the only bad time, but it wasn't because of anything other then my ankle getting hurt and rolling on cement lol.

Yo be easy with that, you don't want to injure yourself before you show up to basic training. You will have plenty of PT tests there and you will do PT everyday, if you get hurt and they decide you need to placed on a waiver you can get recycled and spend more time in basic than you want to, just something to keep in mind.

Yea, my Cardio is 2 miles of light jogging 3x a week, I am trying to get more in, but right now I am just trying to get used to doing Cardio, I promise to not hurt it, that time was just a insane night.

I don't believe we even had a DEP back when...........................

You might not have, but I am not sure when DEP started. I know that the chances of getting the AFSC you want is much better the earlier you sign up. I signed up July 1st, and went to meps July 11th, and since I did it early, I am more likely to get a job I want, because I can wait longer for it to come up.

Yea, my Cardio is 2 miles of light jogging 3x a week, I am trying to get more in, but right now I am just trying to get used to doing Cardio, I promise to not hurt it, that time was just a insane night.

I wouldn't work out alot right now unless you absolutely need to get in shape or to lose weight to get in, you will get PT every morning when you get to Lackland so you don't need to over exert yourself now, when I was in the main qualifying PT test wasn't until 4th week I believe.

Last edited:

I wouldn't work out alot right now unless you absolutely need to get in shape or to lose weight to get in, you will get PT every morning when you get to Lackland so you don't need to over exert yoursle now, when I was in the main qualifying PT test wasn't until 4th week I believe.

Well, I still have about 5 months to wait, and I keep ending up overweight, he says it's cause my weight lifting regime [6 days a week] but I think it's mainly cause I allowed myself to go off my diet for a bit. I am back on it now, thank god.

I wouldn't work out alot right now unless you absolutely need to get in shape or to lose weight to get in, you will get PT every morning when you get to Lackland so you don't need to over exert yoursle now, when I was in the main qualifying PT test wasn't until 4th week I believe.

Well, I still have about 5 months to wait, and I keep ending up overweight, he says it's cause my weight lifting regime [6 days a week] but I think it's mainly cause I allowed myself to go off my diet for a bit. I am back on it now, thank god.

Well just make sure you do what you have to do to keep the necessary weight, trust me when you get to Lackland and you work out everyday and eat nothing but healthy foods, you will lose weight very quickly. A couple people in my flight lost 20 pounds in just being at basic for 3 weeks.

Well just make sure you do what you have to do to keep the necessary weight, trust me when you get to Lackland and you work out everyday and eat nothing but healthy foods, you will lose weight very quickly. A couple people in my flight lost 20 pounds in just being at basic for 3 weeks.

Yea, I am just focusing on staying under my max weight, and getting my weight lifting stats way higher. My goal is to bench 2x my body weight. Thanks for all the help high_gravity.

Yea, I am just focusing on staying under my max weight, and getting my weight lifting stats way higher. My goal is to bench 2x my body weight. Thanks for all the help high_gravity.

No problem, any idea when you ship out?

Supposedly between June-August of 2011. Although, that depends really on when I get assigned my job, they PROMISE me up and down I'll get Security Forces, cause it is a huge area, but I am cautious before trusting anyone.

Supposedly between June-August of 2011. Although, that depends really on when I get assigned my job, they PROMISE me up and down I'll get Security Forces, cause it is a huge area, but I am cautious before trusting anyone.

If Security Forces is what you want you will get it, there are usually plenty of positions open for that.

If Security Forces is what you want you will get it, there are usually plenty of positions open for that.

Yea, that is what he said, but that sort of worries me, I have a cousin in Security Forces, my recruiter was Security Forces, and I have met a really good friend online who is Security Forces. I have heard, it's a hard job, you rarely get any vacation time, and if someone is getting off for holidays, probably not you.

All that, is fine with me, it really is, I mean, I probably wouldn't go home for the holidays anyways. I am just wondering, if this job is truly what I want. What I want, is to be in combat, and be basically a Air Force Grunt. I know, being a "grunt" sucks, but really, that is fine with me, I know its a job that I can handle and be great at, if just given the chance.

Yea, that is what he said, but that sort of worries me, I have a cousin in Security Forces, my recruiter was Security Forces, and I have met a really good friend online who is Security Forces. I have heard, it's a hard job, you rarely get any vacation time, and if someone is getting off for holidays, probably not you.

All that, is fine with me, it really is, I mean, I probably wouldn't go home for the holidays anyways. I am just wondering, if this job is truly what I want. What I want, is to be in combat, and be basically a Air Force Grunt. I know, being a "grunt" sucks, but really, that is fine with me, I know its a job that I can handle and be great at, if just given the chance.

That is true about security forces, they usually work fixed schedules 3 days on 3 days off and the shifts are usually 12 hours, if not more for guard mount, which is a meeting security forces do before and after their shifts. If you want to get holidays off you will have to put in leave for them way in advance, but yes Security Forces work long hours and usually deploy alot depending what base they are at, I can tell you at Vandenberg Security Forces deployed alot and the base actually hired civilian contractors to guard the base since their Security Forces were always gone. If you want to be a Air Force "grunt" though that is the right place to start and than you can retrain into the Paratroopers or TACP (Tactical Air Control Party) if thats route you want to go with it.

Air Force Special Operations Command - TACP

That is true about security forces, they usually work fixed schedules 3 days on 3 days off and the shifts are usually 12 hours, if not more for guard mount, which is a meeting security forces do before and after their shifts. If you want to get holidays off you will have to put in leave for them way in advance, but yes Security Forces work long hours and usually deploy alot depending what base they are at, I can tell you at Vandenberg Security Forces deployed alot and the base actually hired civilian contractors to guard the base since their Security Forces were always gone. If you want to be a Air Force "grunt" though that is the right place to start and than you can retrain into the Paratroopers or TACP (Tactical Air Control Party) if thats route you want to go with it.

Air Force Special Operations Command - TACP

Yea, my friend Umbrae who is SF, told me to do TACP, but I think I should train in SF first, wouldn't that seem like the better idea? That way I have 6 years to get ready for TACP, I mean, fitness wise. I plan to keep up my weight lifting though, the recruiter doesn't like that I do it so much [gain weight], but he said once your in, it's fine.

Forum List

Back