After The Public Schools Collapse--What Then?

teachers / union workers have been bashed and demeaned by right wingers for quite a while now.... who the heck would want their low paying job, with that kind of abuse and belittling? :dunno:

I have little use for the unions for political reasons and do not belong to mine. But you are correct in that teaching is of so little value that almost no college students want to go into it. The very best, professional teachers I work with--and I work in one of the top districts in my state--are not allowing their children to go into it. Or I should say, they won't pay for their children's education if they do.

I mean, that's where we are.
I am friends with many teachers and they find it difficult with what they are paid to even send their own kids to college.

When your suggestion is homeschooling, that's not really a practical suggestion for fixing the ills of the public education

I wasn't suggesting how to fix public school education. My child didn't go to public school, secondary or post-secondary. I don't have a stake in the perpetuation of the public school system personally. I'm merely suggesting that if it does collapse, it won't as severely effect children of responsible parents.
What percentage of parents are that responsible?

When your suggestion is homeschooling, that's not really a practical suggestion for fixing the ills of the public education

I wasn't suggesting how to fix public school education. My child didn't go to public school, secondary or post-secondary. I don't have a stake in the perpetuation of the public school system personally. I'm merely suggesting that if it does collapse, it won't as severely effect children of responsible parents.

Doesn't matter. As long as my kinds are in that percentage.

Conservatives love these "accountability" measures. When they're tied to standardized tests they are laughable. They are generally laughable when tied to humans, but whatever.I often compare them to driver education schools. How bout we did that with driver's training? Let's say we held driver instructor's "accountable" for how their students did on the road. They would correctly cite all kinds of extenuating circumstances, not the least of which is the personal accountability of the driver, not JUST how he/she was taught.But no latitude is given teachers. If the kids aren't producing, it's all on us. Parenting, socioeconomic factors, nothing else comes into play. Those kids are widgets and THEY WILL PRODUCE
`
I support the teachers. They went to school to learn how to teach, not play nanny, personal counselor, moral instructor, diaper changer, socio-ethical judge, behavior modifier, etc. The good teachers have for the most part, fled the public school insanity.
`

If I had but a few years left I would have to. So, many of the younger teachers are. Many many more are not going into it.

People do not realize what teachers are asked to do. Sane people do not do what teachers are asked to do for the money teachers make. You can whine about that, call us selfish or whatnot, but the truth is, you get what you pay for. That's all there is.

Conservatives love these "accountability" measures. When they're tied to standardized tests they are laughable. They are generally laughable when tied to humans, but whatever.I often compare them to driver education schools. How bout we did that with driver's training? Let's say we held driver instructor's "accountable" for how their students did on the road. They would correctly cite all kinds of extenuating circumstances, not the least of which is the personal accountability of the driver, not JUST how he/she was taught.But no latitude is given teachers. If the kids aren't producing, it's all on us. Parenting, socioeconomic factors, nothing else comes into play. Those kids are widgets and THEY WILL PRODUCE
`
I support the teachers. They went to school to learn how to teach, not play nanny, personal counselor, moral instructor, diaper changer, socio-ethical judge, behavior modifier, etc. The good teachers have for the most part, fled the public school insanity.
`
I went through the government schools and saw the insanity first hand, a long time ago. I vowed then that my kids would never walk the halls of a p school and they never did. They have successful careers going now and I am most proud.

Everyone needs Jesus, but some need Jesus more than most.

He is sadly lacking in your worldview.

But go your way.

`
`
I went through the government schools and saw the insanity first hand, a long time ago. I vowed then that my kids would never walk the halls of a p school and they never did. They have successful careers going now and I am most proud.

To be fair. You did not go through the halls of "the government schools". You went through the halls of SOME government schools. And they sounded bad. And they can be bad.

I went to public schools in a small town and had a good to great experience. I teach in a very good district, where my kids attended. They are doing splendidly in college; my son is a senior in a top-notch competitive program in a Big 10 university. Dean's List every semester. My daughter goes to a smaller university where many of her classes are EASIER than her high school advanced classes were.

But go your way.

Yea ... folks have been telling me that as long as I can remember. And leaving these silly things in my mail box

the%20nervous%20witch.gif

But go your way.

Yea ... folks have been telling me that as long as I can remember. And leaving these silly things in my mail box

the%20nervous%20witch.gif

Who says basically, my kind gets theirs, so I don't care?

I will leave the answer....unanswered

But go your way.
You wrote him off just like that?

teachers / union workers have been bashed and demeaned by right wingers for quite a while now.... who the heck would want their low paying job, with that kind of abuse and belittling? :dunno:

I have little use for the unions for political reasons and do not belong to mine. But you are correct in that teaching is of so little value that almost no college students want to go into it. The very best, professional teachers I work with--and I work in one of the top districts in my state--are not allowing their children to go into it. Or I should say, they won't pay for their children's education if they do.

I mean, that's where we are.
I am friends with many teachers and they find it difficult with what they are paid to even send their own kids to college.

The pay differs greatly by state and, of course, by seniority. I am shocked by how little teachers get paid in some states. It's abysmal. It's insulting. No one should do it for how hard we work, and how difficult the work has always been, but now more than ever.

No one should do it, and I love teaching.

But go your way.

Write some more in your diary about me Erin, just maybe not here

Well i feel your pain Sue.

Anyone who's had kids go through the system in the new millenium isn't quite offering stellar reviews.

Many lay blame to teachers, unions, or the kids, none of which fits or provides an RX

That our illustrious potus simply expects that you'll be dressed up and armed like Annie Oakley, or that private industry is now making millions providing security to the educational system screams it's devolution from educational to penal model.

But you'd like an RX.

EASY.....

Mandate all incumbents enroll their spawn in the public educational system

you asked.....:2cents:~S~

Well i feel your pain Sue.

Anyone who's had kids go through the system in the new millenium isn't quite offering stellar reviews.

Many lay blame to teachers, unions, or the kids, none of which fits or provides an RX

That our illustrious potus simply expects that you'll be dressed up and armed like Annie Oakley, or that private industry is now making millions providing security to the educational system screams it's devolution from educational to penal model.

But you'd like an RX.

EASY.....

Mandate all incumbents enroll their spawn in the public educational system

you asked.....:2cents:~S~

Thank you for addressing the issues.

As to the meat of your OP, what has really happened is the breakdown of society in general is manifesting itself in the schools. Small children's brains burnt out on technology has only made the breakdown spiral further at a faster pace. The schools: teachers, admin, the Dept of Ed, are just one more institution to blame. I'm not saying we're without fault or couldn't do better. But the majority of the problem really doesn't belong to us, it belongs to society.

I don't think there are solutions for the schools as they are. Again...I'm just wondering what takes their place.

But go your way.

To be honest, really not that interesting, Sue. Which is why I comment on USMB and reply to you.

But go your way.

To be honest, really not that interesting, Sue. Which is why I comment on USMB and reply to you.

I agree I'm not that interesting. Which is why it's puzzling that so many of your comments are addressed to me directly about me, rather than what I have said.

I'm right now engaged in a conversation with the poster you said I wrote off. So maybe read that and respond.

As to the meat of your OP, what has really happened is the breakdown of society in general is manifesting itself in the schools
Indeed so Sue

The schools: teachers, admin, the Dept of Ed, are just one more institution to blame. I'm not saying we're without fault or couldn't do better
It's just too easy to blame the components of a failed system, than addressing it in it's entirety
Now the Gub'Mit has interviened many times, i won't repeat the points others have made here.
But the one think the Gub'Mit consistently fails to do is walk the walk along w/their talk

But the majority of the problem really doesn't belong to us, it belongs to society.

True, but my point is the minority with $$$ in a dualopoly can exerzice privledges the majority can not . Ergo the addage taxation w/representation can start with our elected leaders committing their kids by proxy.
How Many Politicians Send their Kids to Public Schools? | PublicSchoolReview.com
Why Do So Few Presidents and Political Leaders Send Their Kids to Public School? - The Atlantic
Where Did the 115th Senate Go to High School? | PrivateSchoolReview.com
How Members of Congress Practice Private School Choice
~S~

Graduating HS means nothing today. Many graduate yet can’t read or write above third grade levels.Graduating from a failed system, doesn’t prove anything.
`
You are right. One of the worst laws in education ever passed was the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB). It tied together test scores with arbitrary graduation rates. In order to receive and government assistance, which schools became dependent on, they had to graduate X amount of students per year. This in turn put heavy pressure on teachers to pass or graduate students who were just marginally literate, or they would lose the feds grant money.

Graduating from an urban high school means nothing these days.
`
My son attended one of the top engineering schools in the country. He befriended several blacks his freshman year, while in the dorm. He told me nearly all washed out of the program, because they weren’t prepared. This is a terrible disservice to those kids. They graduated HS at the top, but this did little for them. The corrupt system screwed them.

My son on the other hand, breezed through the first two years and graduated Summa Cum Laude.

Forum List

Back