Afraid of the future

to my test scores. I acknowledge that test scores are not everything, hell I think we need a lot less testing in our school system, our school system has become little more than a fact regurgitation factory ....

= you were too stupid to learn anything, and too dishonest to admit why
Nice ad homs, give me a chance to heal up and I will be more than happy to destroy you....

Yeah, heal up. Not your fault that you are lazy and stupid. Enjoy that teat.
Coming back to the lazy thing, I was a dual sport athlete, that didn't know what an off season was until my senior year when I quit football after a concussion from spring football took me out of school for a month and a half, I am an Eagle scout, I was a leader in my church's youth group and performed community service 2 to 3 times a week, this is on top of going to school full time and taking a full load of ap courses, so try that argument again, I will own that I do not do nearly as much now but forgive me for being just a little bit burned out.

I personally am a lot less concerned with the national debt, still pretty concerned but not as much, as I am with the state of our nations politics and its reliance on big business and religion.
I'd be less concerned about organized religion(which is declining, and I think for the worse), which is almost non-existent on a political level(outside of lobbying for Israel), and more concerned about corporate influence, which is secular if anything at the moment(look at the corporate boycott in reaction to the Indiana law for example). Corporate power is subverting our republican(small r) institutions of government.
It may be declining, but with over 3/4ths of Americans identifying as Christians and basing their vote on a candidate's religion or based on religious issues it is still scary to me, mind you I have nothing against the faith itself just its presence in government and its influence on our society. All of that being said I am right alongside you in that corporate power is definitely the more scary of the two.
I guess I don't see this religious influence in the government, or where it is adversely affecting the society. I am definitely not for a state church by any means, but it seems to me corporate influence has grown as our society has become more materialistic and secular. That is my read at least. I don't think there is anything wrong per say with a morality informed by Christian values and this influencing government policy.
Forgive me that my memory recall is absolute shit right now and I can only come up with stem cell research for an example of scientifically holding us back and the losing battle of gay rights that is not really much of an issue anymore. There are parts of Christian values that hit the nail right on the head and I completely agree with, there are other things not so much, our government was set up to be free from regulations brought on by faith, the baby boomers seemed to have forgotten that as there are a decent amount that would try to claim we are a Christian nation. The big difference though is that the Christian's are well intentioned while the corporations are just driven by greed, there is a quote, I forget who its by and will probably jumble it some but the basic meaning of it is that; I fear those who have nothing but good intentions, for those that mean harm will tire or bore or become distracted while those who have nothing but good will in their hearts will be relentless in their efforts to bring it forth.
From what I understand, embryonic stem cell research is not illegal, but not publicly funded(or funded at the levels proponents would like). But if you have further information on the matter I would be happy to read it. I think there are ethical questions beyond religious lobbying that are holding back more funding, and they are legitimate in my view. What I would say to you, who come from a more secular background, is to not only have skepticism on religion, but be skeptical of science, and perhaps not all scientific advancement is ideal for humanity, and in some instances can be very dehumanizing(like negative eugenics for example). I was confirmed Catholic, but was agnostic for many years before coming back, but I understand your world view because I was there at one point.

To be clear, the 1st Amendment says the government is not to respect an establishment of religion, meaning a state church, not that legislators or voters cannot be informed by their morality which has basis in their faith(Christian or otherwise). We have freedom of religion, not freedom from, a very key difference in my opinion. I think there is confusion on this christian nation thing. We were a nation of Christians at our founding, most of our population if not all of it outside of a few jews were Christian, as were most of our founders(outside of Jefferson). So they don't mean, I think, that we have a state religion, but that our culture is fundamentally rooted in the Christian world view because the founding stock was 99% Christian.

I agree with that quote. I wish it was as simple that our government was run by an evil conspiracy. Than you could just remove the conspirators. But it is a mindset that pervades government, corporations, academia, etc. I think many of these people genuinely think they are doing the right thing or are so out of touch, this is the problem. Are there bad actors? Yes of course, but not most of the ruling elite in my opinion.
My personal belief is that the opposition to stem cell research is very similar to the church's opposition of Da' Vinci and the likes dissecting of human corpses, we look at it now and see two very different circumstances yes, but what is it really other than an attempt to better understand how the human body works and what those applications could be for medicine. The government funding does fall into a grey area I will agree, I personally believe in government funding for medical research and the like but I understand that not every American feels that way and that is their right.
I guess we have different interpretations of the first amendment from one another but I can respect that that is how you read it.
I also wish that it was that simple, I believe there is a decent amount of evil present in the government I just don't think they all coordinate with each other in any way which makes them that much harder to get rid of.
Edit* I too grew up in the church, protestant but church, I have settled in to agnosticism fairly well, it suits me.

to my test scores. I acknowledge that test scores are not everything, hell I think we need a lot less testing in our school system, our school system has become little more than a fact regurgitation factory ....

Nice ad homs, give me a chance to heal up and I will be more than happy to destroy you....

Coming back to the lazy thing, I was a dual sport athlete, that didn't know what an off season was until my senior year when I quit football after a concussion ...

Oh look, another concussion... :rolleyes:

Coming back to the lazy thing, I was a dual sport athlete, that didn't know what an off season was until my senior year when I quit football after a concussion ...

Both of which have been diagnosed by doctors and have had scans done of my brain, not sure what you are trying to imply there?

How about you let the grown ups continue with their actual conversation?

Both of which have been diagnosed by doctors and have had scans done of my brain, not sure what you are trying to imply there?

I'm "implying" nothing. I saying you are being a little pussy about it and making excuses for your laziness.

If you want to last on this forum, I advise either not taking rebuttals too seriously, or learning to use the ignore feature.

That way there is no interaction between people you don't want to talk to, and people that don't want to talk to you.

Otherwise, you will get bored and leave fairly soon.

I'm "implying" nothing. I saying you are being a little pussy about it and making excuses for your laziness.
O yeah cause quitting football, which I really mostly did to stay in shape for lacrosse, was so lazy, the only which I did quit due to my first injury. As for right now I can barely function and my sole escape from the dark quiet room that I have to stick myself in to keep from having migraines 24/7 is using my computer for a couple hours each day with the brightness all the way down and sunglasses on, meanwhile my general physician refuses to even talk to me about my condition because of insurance policies and it being related to a car accident, the concussion clinic that I went to for my first can't see me either for insurance purposes, the only referral I have been able to get from anyone waited two weeks before sending me to get an mri done, and the only thing he will do for me is to have me come to joke physical therapy 3 times a week.
So in short, go fuck yourself.
Though please, try not to enjoy it.

If you want to last on this forum, I advise either not taking rebuttals too seriously, or learning to use the ignore feature.

That way there is no interaction between people you don't want to talk to, and people that don't want to talk to you.

Otherwise, you will get bored and leave fairly soon.
oo thank you for the suggestion, was getting kind of sick of this ass, though I do like it here in general, seem to be a good place to discuss ideas. (other than the occasional ass)

I am a 20 year old college drop out that looks at the path this country is headed down and I do not know whether to cry from sorrow or to run away in fear, before you try to recruit me to your side, if you pledge allegiance to the republicans, the democrats, or big business don't waste your breath on me. We have hard times ahead of us but I really want to believe that we can save ourselves before it is too late.
Ignorant, unfounded, hyperbolic nonsense.
Clayton I get that you know a few words, do you know any other ones so that we could maybe have a conversation as to how it is ignorant unfounded hyperbolic nonsense as you are so fond of calling all of my posts?
Educate yourself so you're no longer ignorant.

Research for objective, documented facts to support your positions.

Stop with the ridiculous hyperbole: 'big business,' 'hard times,' 'save ourselves.'

I am a 20 year old college drop out that looks at the path this country is headed down and I do not know whether to cry from sorrow or to run away in fear, before you try to recruit me to your side, if you pledge allegiance to the republicans, the democrats, or big business don't waste your breath on me. We have hard times ahead of us but I really want to believe that we can save ourselves before it is too late.
The only thing we need you to do is pay back the loans you took out.
I only have 1000 left and am working on paying them back, I have been out of work for over a month now due to a concussion from a car accident.
If you can post on the internets you can work.

it's a fact that the economy is in the toilet, that foreigners hold way too much of our debt and that there are fewer and fewer people paying into Social Security and that SS and medicaid/care are costing FAR more than the pr

I only have 1000 left and am working on paying them back, I have been out of work for over a month now due to a concussion from a car accident.
There is a big difference between typing a sentence and being on my feet running around for 4 hours.

Ignorant, unfounded, hyperbolic nonsense.
Clayton I get that you know a few words, do you know any other ones so that we could maybe have a conversation as to how it is ignorant unfounded hyperbolic nonsense as you are so fond of calling all of my posts?
Educate yourself so you're no longer ignorant.

Research for objective, documented facts to support your positions.

Stop with the ridiculous hyperbole: 'big business,' 'hard times,' 'save ourselves.'
Do you know what a hyperbole is? Big business is just that, business that is big, no exaggeration there, stating that there are hard times is also not an exaggeration, the prison guy that was talking about the survival scenarios, now that was hyperbole, okay I will concede that save ourselves may have been a bit of an exaggerated rally cry but I still stand by it.
As to my "ignorance" I am more than happy to share all of the things that lead me to these conclusions, you never asked for them though. Have a good day.

Welcome to our Board. You seem to have a lot of fear about the future. Hope you find a safe place to hide......

don't be shy, find a topic and post away....:)

O yeah cause quitting football, which I really mostly did to stay in shape for lacrosse, was so lazy, the only which I did quit due to my first injury. As for right now I can barely function and my sole escape from the dark quiet room that I have to stick myself in to keep from having migraines 24/7 is using my computer for a couple hours each day with the brightness all the way down and sunglasses on, meanwhile my general physician refuses to even talk to me about my condition because of insurance policies and it being related to a car accident, the concussion clinic that I went to for my first can't see me either for insurance purposes, the only referral I have been able to get from anyone waited two weeks before sending me to get an mri done, and the only thing he will do for me is to have me come to joke physical therapy 3 times a week.
So in short, go fuck yourself.
Though please, try not to enjoy it.

That sure was a lot of whining and making excuses, you pussy.

There is a big difference between typing a sentence and being on my feet running around for 4 hours.
Agreed. Get a job where you type things.

Welcome to our Board. You seem to have a lot of fear about the future. Hope you find a safe place to hide......

don't be shy, find a topic and post away....:)
He has a very good reason to fear the future as any thinking american should the fact BOTH parties are corrupt and neither represent the people.there is no hope for the future of america or the world as long as we have this corrupt two party system of demopublicans and reprocrats.we need a third party president,one who will serve the people instead of the bankers which by the way i hope that avatar is sarcastic since if you vote for another bush or another clinton,you are part of the problem why america has been ruined.

the last REAL president we had who did not tow the party line and served the people instead of the bankers paid the price for it on nov 22nd 1963. so of course he fears the future.

It'll only get worse, much worse, unless voters wake up and smell the coffee. As long as voters continue to elect and to re-elect professional politicians to run this once great nation, don't look for any improvement to take place. It's sad but true. I see no other avenue for us to take.

welcome-402x84_zpsrm8expdr.gif

Forum List

Back