Afraid of the future

You people wanna cry cause the Boomers blew the dough of the greatest generation? All I can say is..there was no fortune to pass on.......in my family, so you can take it from me, if you want anything in life, don't mind workin' for it...
Stop trying to pass the buck and shift the blame. That 18 trillion in national debt is on your generation.
I bet you won't find my signature on the loan...
Why doesn't your generation grow up and own its mistakes?

The problem with boomers is they lack introspection and criticize millennials for the flaws they possess as well, only we have it much worse off than you guys.
Not true.

Most millennials I have met, being a millennial myself, are either self-centered, politically apathetic, against compromise, totally brainwashed into the neo-liberal economic dogmatism of the 80s and 90s, or just don't have a single independent thought in their brain.

Contrast that with the boomers, who actually did stuff to improve the country, land on the moon, and at least some of the time could balance the books, even if they did disagree with each other over their choice of Presidents and political party.

Millennials have no political figures to trust, no sense of civic duty, no faith in the government, and are more interested in an Xbox or an iPhone, than in alleviating poverty or fixing the issues with the economic system.

So, which generation is the mistake? Definitely the one you were born into.
"self-centered, politically apathetic, against compromise, totally brainwashed into the neo-liberal economic dogmatism of the 80s and 90s, or just don't have a single independent thought in their brain. "

Sound like boomers to me. Like father like son as they say.

"Contrast that with the boomers, who actually did stuff to improve the country, land on the moon,"

Boomers were at Woodstock, having hedonistic sex, dropping acid and smoking shitty pot while the gg and silents were putting men on the moon.

"Millennials have no political figures to trust, no sense of civic duty, no faith in the government, and are more interested in an Xbox or an iPhone, than in alleviating poverty or fixing the issues with the economic system."

I don't see how the political corruption of boomers and how they eroded the social capital of the nation is the millennials fault. No wonder a good chunk of millennials engage in pathetic forms of escapism. We live in a sick society.
I can't decide between hitting thank you and agree, why o why can I not hit both?

I am a 20 year old college drop out that looks at the path this country is headed down and I do not know whether to cry from sorrow or to run away in fear, before you try to recruit me to your side, if you pledge allegiance to the republicans, the democrats, or big business don't waste your breath on me. We have hard times ahead of us but I really want to believe that we can save ourselves before it is too late.
This is certainly not the first generation that saw gloom and destruction ahead. Surveys of college graduates in the early 1960's reveal most graduates didn't believe they would see their grandchildren because the world would not last that long. Kids in 1930's faced not just hunger, homelessness, and joblessness but the real possibility that the nation would be overrun. Every generation faces what seems like insurmountable challenges but somehow we survive as we have for over 235 years and we will continue to do so.

to my test scores. I acknowledge that test scores are not everything, hell I think we need a lot less testing in our school system, our school system has become little more than a fact regurgitation factory ....

= you were too stupid to learn anything, and too dishonest to admit why

to my test scores. I acknowledge that test scores are not everything, hell I think we need a lot less testing in our school system, our school system has become little more than a fact regurgitation factory ....

Nice ad homs, give me a chance to heal up and I will be more than happy to destroy you in any school related subject, again with the exception of foreign languages, which is the one that I really do wish I was good at.

Nice ad homs, give me a chance to heal up and I will be more than happy to destroy you....

Yeah, heal up. Not your fault that you are lazy and stupid. Enjoy that teat.

. Give me a school that teaches critical thinking and life skills ....

You had those things available to you, but you were too stupid to make the most of them. Again, the fault lies with YOU.
When was the last time you were in a public school?

6 hours ago.
Where do you go to school might I ask? State, I don't care for actual specifics, not trying to creep on you

You had those things available to you, but you were too stupid to make the most of them. Again, the fault lies with YOU.

6 hours ago.
Where do you go to school might I ask? State, I don't care for actual specifics, not trying to creep on you

I don't "go," I teach.

Nice ad homs, give me a chance to heal up and I will be more than happy to destroy you....

You mean having a bruise on my brain from being hit by a car? Yeah so lazy, and while I have that bruise on my brain I have still gone in and worked because the medical system in Florida is almost as shitty as the education.

6 hours ago.

I don't "go," I teach.
Okay well then where do you "teach"

You mean having a bruise on my brain from being hit by a car? Yeah so lazy, and while I have that bruise on my brain I have still gone in and worked because the medical system in Florida is almost as shitty as the education.

Think you are the first person to ever have a concussion, Nancy? Suck it up.

6 hours ago.

I don't "go," I teach.

In a densely populated urban school district.

I bet you won't find my signature on the loan...
I personally am a lot less concerned with the national debt, still pretty concerned but not as much, as I am with the state of our nations politics and its reliance on big business and religion.
I'd be less concerned about organized religion(which is declining, and I think for the worse), which is almost non-existent on a political level(outside of lobbying for Israel), and more concerned about corporate influence, which is secular if anything at the moment(look at the corporate boycott in reaction to the Indiana law for example). Corporate power is subverting our republican(small r) institutions of government.
It may be declining, but with over 3/4ths of Americans identifying as Christians and basing their vote on a candidate's religion or based on religious issues it is still scary to me, mind you I have nothing against the faith itself just its presence in government and its influence on our society. All of that being said I am right alongside you in that corporate power is definitely the more scary of the two.
I guess I don't see this religious influence in the government, or where it is adversely affecting the society. I am definitely not for a state church by any means, but it seems to me corporate influence has grown as our society has become more materialistic and secular. That is my read at least. I don't think there is anything wrong per say with a morality informed by Christian values and this influencing government policy.
Forgive me that my memory recall is absolute shit right now and I can only come up with stem cell research for an example of scientifically holding us back and the losing battle of gay rights that is not really much of an issue anymore. There are parts of Christian values that hit the nail right on the head and I completely agree with, there are other things not so much, our government was set up to be free from regulations brought on by faith, the baby boomers seemed to have forgotten that as there are a decent amount that would try to claim we are a Christian nation. The big difference though is that the Christian's are well intentioned while the corporations are just driven by greed, there is a quote, I forget who its by and will probably jumble it some but the basic meaning of it is that; I fear those who have nothing but good intentions, for those that mean harm will tire or bore or become distracted while those who have nothing but good will in their hearts will be relentless in their efforts to bring it forth.
From what I understand, embryonic stem cell research is not illegal, but not publicly funded(or funded at the levels proponents would like). But if you have further information on the matter I would be happy to read it. I think there are ethical questions beyond religious lobbying that are holding back more funding, and they are legitimate in my view. What I would say to you, who come from a more secular background, is to not only have skepticism on religion, but be skeptical of science, and perhaps not all scientific advancement is ideal for humanity, and in some instances can be very dehumanizing(like negative eugenics for example). I was confirmed Catholic, but was agnostic for many years before coming back, but I understand your world view because I was there at one point.

To be clear, the 1st Amendment says the government is not to respect an establishment of religion, meaning a state church, not that legislators or voters cannot be informed by their morality which has basis in their faith(Christian or otherwise). We have freedom of religion, not freedom from, a very key difference in my opinion. I think there is confusion on this christian nation thing. We were a nation of Christians at our founding, most of our population if not all of it outside of a few jews were Christian, as were most of our founders(outside of Jefferson). So they don't mean, I think, that we have a state religion, but that our culture is fundamentally rooted in the Christian world view because the founding stock was 99% Christian.

I agree with that quote. I wish it was as simple that our government was run by an evil conspiracy. Than you could just remove the conspirators. But it is a mindset that pervades government, corporations, academia, etc. I think many of these people genuinely think they are doing the right thing or are so out of touch, this is the problem. Are there bad actors? Yes of course, but not most of the ruling elite in my opinion.

No I do not think that I am, that doesn't change that the only way I can form a coherent thought right now is by writing it down, or that I can barely eat at all, never mind the constant pain in my head, though I am starting to adjust to that aspect.

fuck off faggot.

6 hours ago.

I don't "go," I teach.

In a densely populated urban school district.
Again all I want is the state that you teach in.

for the last 5 or 6 years of my life I have not learned a single useful thing from our education system....

That's your fault, dope. You won't get less stupid by avoiding school.
I could present a few arguments against that but am pretty sure you would ignore me, as to your accusation that I am a dope and that I am the problem not our education system, I consistently had the highest grades on my tests, except for Spanish, I have no talent for foreign languages its true, this was without doing homework because it was trivial and bored me, and I would sit through classes all day either sleeping or messing around on my phone. Myself and another student had to teach our physics class because our teacher was a narcissistic compulsive liar (she told us on numerous occasions that she was a general in the air force, no such thing, spoke 15 different languages, never heard more than the most basic phrases that even I could pick up, worked for the cia and nasa, well you get my drift.) My college philosophy course even was little more than memorizing the arguments of the Greek and Roman philosophers. My grades always suffered from my refusal to do homework but I could manage mostly b's and a's due to my test scores. I acknowledge that test scores are not everything, hell I think we need a lot less testing in our school system, our school system has become little more than a fact regurgitation factory which is utterly worthless in the modern age with information available at the tips of your fingers. Give me a school that teaches critical thinking and life skills and I will be happy to learn, until then I will settle for learning from the world around me.
for the last 5 or 6 years of my life I have not learned a single useful thing from our education system....

That's your fault, dope. You won't get less stupid by avoiding school.
I could present a few arguments against that but am pretty sure you would ignore me, as to your accusation that I am a dope and that I am the problem not our education system, I consistently had the highest grades on my tests, except for Spanish, I have no talent for foreign languages its true, this was without doing homework because it was trivial and bored me, and I would sit through classes all day either sleeping or messing around on my phone. Myself and another student had to teach our physics class because our teacher was a narcissistic compulsive liar (she told us on numerous occasions that she was a general in the air force, no such thing, spoke 15 different languages, never heard more than the most basic phrases that even I could pick up, worked for the cia and nasa, well you get my drift.) My college philosophy course even was little more than memorizing the arguments of the Greek and Roman philosophers. My grades always suffered from my refusal to do homework but I could manage mostly b's and a's due to my test scores. I acknowledge that test scores are not everything, hell I think we need a lot less testing in our school system, our school system has become little more than a fact regurgitation factory which is utterly worthless in the modern age with information available at the tips of your fingers. Give me a school that teaches critical thinking and life skills and I will be happy to learn, until then I will settle for learning from the world around me.
I wouldn't go back to school unless you want to go into the STEM's. Otherwise, I think you should go into one of the trades. It is one of the few remaining professions that still provides a steady middle class income without a college degree, and you don't get the tens of thousands in debt. Another option is going to the oil fields in West Texas or North Dakota. The hours are hell and the work is grueling but people there can make high five figures starting out an with experience and no college degree still make six figures all said and done and leave after a couple years with significant savings and no debt.

There are plenty of options for success outside of going the 4-year college route.
I agree completely, I am currently unable to work because of a concussion from a car accident about a month ago but up until then I was working full time as a server at a casual upscale steakhouse, making pretty good money and working my way towards getting in to management, my current plan is to work for the restaurant for a few years, not a bad gig for a kid in his 20's with no real commitments, put away some money and then either start my own business or part of me would be satisfied with outfitting a sail boat to live on and just sailing around the world going wherever the wind takes me, though the starting my own business is the more likely of the two sadly.

Neither one is likely, kid. Grow up.

Forum List

Back