Afraid of the future

You people wanna cry cause the Boomers blew the dough of the greatest generation? All I can say is..there was no fortune to pass on.......in my family, so you can take it from me, if you want anything in life, don't mind workin' for it...
Stop trying to pass the buck and shift the blame. That 18 trillion in national debt is on your generation.
I bet you won't find my signature on the loan...
Nor mine.

Fortunately I have another passport, so if either country goes to hell - I have an exit plan.
The sail boat plan is my exit plan.

You people wanna cry cause the Boomers blew the dough of the greatest generation? All I can say is..there was no fortune to pass on.......in my family, so you can take it from me, if you want anything in life, don't mind workin' for it...
Stop trying to pass the buck and shift the blame. That 18 trillion in national debt is on your generation.
Why doesn't your generation grow up and own its mistakes?

The problem with boomers is they lack introspection and criticize millennials for the flaws they possess as well, only we have it much worse off than you guys.

The problem with boomers is they lack introspection and criticize millennials for the flaws they possess as well, only we have it much worse off than you guys.
My Ma was a boomer also, she didn't get nothin' either...derp....

for the last 5 or 6 years of my life I have not learned a single useful thing from our education system....

That's your fault, dope. You won't get less stupid by avoiding school.
I could present a few arguments against that but am pretty sure you would ignore me, as to your accusation that I am a dope and that I am the problem not our education system, I consistently had the highest grades on my tests, except for Spanish, I have no talent for foreign languages its true, this was without doing homework because it was trivial and bored me, and I would sit through classes all day either sleeping or messing around on my phone. Myself and another student had to teach our physics class because our teacher was a narcissistic compulsive liar (she told us on numerous occasions that she was a general in the air force, no such thing, spoke 15 different languages, never heard more than the most basic phrases that even I could pick up, worked for the cia and nasa, well you get my drift.) My college philosophy course even was little more than memorizing the arguments of the Greek and Roman philosophers. My grades always suffered from my refusal to do homework but I could manage mostly b's and a's due to my test scores. I acknowledge that test scores are not everything, hell I think we need a lot less testing in our school system, our school system has become little more than a fact regurgitation factory which is utterly worthless in the modern age with information available at the tips of your fingers. Give me a school that teaches critical thinking and life skills and I will be happy to learn, until then I will settle for learning from the world around me.
I wouldn't go back to school unless you want to go into the STEM's. Otherwise, I think you should go into one of the trades. It is one of the few remaining professions that still provides a steady middle class income without a college degree, and you don't get the tens of thousands in debt. Another option is going to the oil fields in West Texas or North Dakota. The hours are hell and the work is grueling but people there can make high five figures starting out an with experience and no college degree still make six figures all said and done and leave after a couple years with significant savings and no debt.

There are plenty of options for success outside of going the 4-year college route.
I agree completely, I am currently unable to work because of a concussion from a car accident about a month ago but up until then I was working full time as a server at a casual upscale steakhouse, making pretty good money and working my way towards getting in to management, my current plan is to work for the restaurant for a few years, not a bad gig for a kid in his 20's with no real commitments, put away some money and then either start my own business or part of me would be satisfied with outfitting a sail boat to live on and just sailing around the world going wherever the wind takes me, though the starting my own business is the more likely of the two sadly.
You aren't in bad shape for your age. Do you live with your parents or have your own place? At this point, what you need to do is keep living costs(food, entertainment, rent etc) down as much as possible and stacking cash.

My only recommendation would be to make sure you are moving on the management track and not get caught for too long in the server gig. If you work hard you should be in management by your mid 20s.
I am living with my parents right now due to a long and complicated story involving the trap that is student housing, so I am paying 500 a month for an apartment that no one is living in, thankfully next month is the last month of that bs, as to the management track, our chain is still in the process of expanding and I have been talking to my assistant manager about being his assistant manager when he gets his own restaurant in the next year or two, its not a done deal but we have a pretty good relationship and a lot of respect for each other, so its a start.

Cry me a river, my Papa was sod buster in Texas and worked 12 hours a day Until WWI....

I personally am a lot less concerned with the national debt, still pretty concerned but not as much, as I am with the state of our nations politics and its reliance on big business and religion.
I'd be less concerned about organized religion(which is declining, and I think for the worse), which is almost non-existent on a political level(outside of lobbying for Israel), and more concerned about corporate influence, which is secular if anything at the moment(look at the corporate boycott in reaction to the Indiana law for example). Corporate power is subverting our republican(small r) institutions of government.

Cry me a river, my Papa was sod buster in Texas and worked 12 hours a day Until WWI....
At least he had a job, boomers shifted most middle class jobs overseas through free trade.

Also, your dad's generation moved up the standard of living, you guys screwed the pooch as far as that goes. Don't blame us for being entitled when your generation is responsible for the current decline in the standard of living.

That's your fault, dope. You won't get less stupid by avoiding school.
I could present a few arguments against that but am pretty sure you would ignore me, as to your accusation that I am a dope and that I am the problem not our education system, I consistently had the highest grades on my tests, except for Spanish, I have no talent for foreign languages its true, this was without doing homework because it was trivial and bored me, and I would sit through classes all day either sleeping or messing around on my phone. Myself and another student had to teach our physics class because our teacher was a narcissistic compulsive liar (she told us on numerous occasions that she was a general in the air force, no such thing, spoke 15 different languages, never heard more than the most basic phrases that even I could pick up, worked for the cia and nasa, well you get my drift.) My college philosophy course even was little more than memorizing the arguments of the Greek and Roman philosophers. My grades always suffered from my refusal to do homework but I could manage mostly b's and a's due to my test scores. I acknowledge that test scores are not everything, hell I think we need a lot less testing in our school system, our school system has become little more than a fact regurgitation factory which is utterly worthless in the modern age with information available at the tips of your fingers. Give me a school that teaches critical thinking and life skills and I will be happy to learn, until then I will settle for learning from the world around me.
I wouldn't go back to school unless you want to go into the STEM's. Otherwise, I think you should go into one of the trades. It is one of the few remaining professions that still provides a steady middle class income without a college degree, and you don't get the tens of thousands in debt. Another option is going to the oil fields in West Texas or North Dakota. The hours are hell and the work is grueling but people there can make high five figures starting out an with experience and no college degree still make six figures all said and done and leave after a couple years with significant savings and no debt.

There are plenty of options for success outside of going the 4-year college route.
I agree completely, I am currently unable to work because of a concussion from a car accident about a month ago but up until then I was working full time as a server at a casual upscale steakhouse, making pretty good money and working my way towards getting in to management, my current plan is to work for the restaurant for a few years, not a bad gig for a kid in his 20's with no real commitments, put away some money and then either start my own business or part of me would be satisfied with outfitting a sail boat to live on and just sailing around the world going wherever the wind takes me, though the starting my own business is the more likely of the two sadly.
You aren't in bad shape for your age. Do you live with your parents or have your own place? At this point, what you need to do is keep living costs(food, entertainment, rent etc) down as much as possible and stacking cash.

My only recommendation would be to make sure you are moving on the management track and not get caught for too long in the server gig. If you work hard you should be in management by your mid 20s.
I am living with my parents right now due to a long and complicated story involving the trap that is student housing, so I am paying 500 a month for an apartment that no one is living in, thankfully next month is the last month of that bs, as to the management track, our chain is still in the process of expanding and I have been talking to my assistant manager about being his assistant manager when he gets his own restaurant in the next year or two, its not a done deal but we have a pretty good relationship and a lot of respect for each other, so its a start.
Stay in your parents' place as long as they let you. Don't waste money on rent as long as you can. Ideally until you get married. Otherwise you seem on a good track.

I personally am a lot less concerned with the national debt, still pretty concerned but not as much, as I am with the state of our nations politics and its reliance on big business and religion.
I'd be less concerned about organized religion(which is declining, and I think for the worse), which is almost non-existent on a political level(outside of lobbying for Israel), and more concerned about corporate influence, which is secular if anything at the moment(look at the corporate boycott in reaction to the Indiana law for example). Corporate power is subverting our republican(small r) institutions of government.
It may be declining, but with over 3/4ths of Americans identifying as Christians and basing their vote on a candidate's religion or based on religious issues it is still scary to me, mind you I have nothing against the faith itself just its presence in government and its influence on our society. All of that being said I am right alongside you in that corporate power is definitely the more scary of the two.

Stay in your parents' place as long as they let you. Don't waste money on rent as long as you can. Ideally until you get married. Otherwise you seem on a good track.
I love my parents but for sanity's sake I will probably have to move out sooner rather than later.

Also, cut back on the pot. That is a money sink hole if there ever was one. Not to say you have to give it up all together, though it wouldn't hurt. But ideally you shouldn't pay for it and should smoke off friends.

Also, cut back on the pot. That is a money sink hole if there ever was one. Not to say you have to give it up all together, though it wouldn't hurt. But ideally you shouldn't pay for it and should smoke off friends.
I am not gonna sugar coat it, my family has a long history of enjoying their vices, I pretty much quit drinking a bit over a year ago, I was a borderline functioning alcoholic by 17, because it was too expensive of a habit to maintain, by making smart investments, I have a small convenient vaporizer and a butter maker, I have been able to cut down on my costs and get the most out of the money that I do spend on it.

It may be declining, but with over 3/4ths of Americans identifying as Christians and basing their vote on a candidate's religion or based on religious issues it is still scary to me, mind you I have nothing against the faith itself just its presence in government and its influence on our society. All of that being said I am right alongside you in that corporate power is definitely the more scary of the two.
I guess I don't see this religious influence in the government, or where it is adversely affecting the society. I am definitely not for a state church by any means, but it seems to me corporate influence has grown as our society has become more secular and thus more materialistic. That is my read at least. I don't think there is anything wrong per say with a morality informed by Christian values and this influencing government policy.

1984 WILL be shtf. When the foreigners see the martial law, they'll stop buying our debt, wjhich means collapse of the $, which means nobody will work and there will be no trade, domestic or foreign. Why would anyone work for toilet tissue? thats what the $100 bill will be if nationwide martial law lasts for more than a week or so.
Not sure what shtf means

I am not gonna sugar coat it, my family has a long history of enjoying their vices, I pretty much quit drinking a bit over a year ago, I was a borderline functioning alcoholic by 17, because it was too expensive of a habit to maintain, by making smart investments, I have a small convenient vaporizer and a butter maker, I have been able to cut down on my costs and get the most out of the money that I do spend on it.
I would just recommend doing some introspection on why you smoke pot and genuinely ask if you need it.

I use to smoke as well, so I am not coming from the position of some "square" with no experience. Now I am 24 and have several friends that smoke still but have no interest in it myself.

Not true.

Most millennials I have met, being a millennial myself, are either self-centered, politically apathetic, against compromise, totally brainwashed into the neo-liberal economic dogmatism of the 80s and 90s, or just don't have a single independent thought in their brain.

Contrast that with the boomers, who actually did stuff to improve the country, land on the moon, and at least some of the time could balance the books, even if they did disagree with each other over their choice of Presidents and political party.

Millennials have no political figures to trust, no sense of civic duty, no faith in the government, and are more interested in an Xbox or an iPhone, than in alleviating poverty or fixing the issues with the economic system.

So, which generation is the mistake? Definitely the one you were born into.

Not true.

Most millennials I have met, being a millennial myself, are either self-centered, politically apathetic, against compromise, totally brainwashed into the neo-liberal economic dogmatism of the 80s and 90s, or just don't have a single independent thought in their brain.

Contrast that with the boomers, who actually did stuff to improve the country, land on the moon, and at least some of the time could balance the books, even if they did disagree with each other over their choice of Presidents and political party.

Millennials have no political figures to trust, no sense of civic duty, no faith in the government, and are more interested in an Xbox or an iPhone, than in alleviating poverty or fixing the issues with the economic system.

So, which generation is the mistake? Definitely the one you were born into.
"self-centered, politically apathetic, against compromise, totally brainwashed into the neo-liberal economic dogmatism of the 80s and 90s, or just don't have a single independent thought in their brain. "

Sound like boomers to me. Like father like son as they say.

"Contrast that with the boomers, who actually did stuff to improve the country, land on the moon,"

Boomers were at Woodstock, having hedonistic sex, dropping acid and smoking shitty pot while the gg and silents were putting men on the moon.

"Millennials have no political figures to trust, no sense of civic duty, no faith in the government, and are more interested in an Xbox or an iPhone, than in alleviating poverty or fixing the issues with the economic system."

I don't see how the political corruption of boomers and how they eroded the social capital of the nation is the millennials fault. No wonder a good chunk of millennials engage in pathetic forms of escapism. We live in a sick society.

I guess I don't see this religious influence in the government, or where it is adversely affecting the society. I am definitely not for a state church by any means, but it seems to me corporate influence has grown as our society has become more materialistic and secular. That is my read at least. I don't think there is anything wrong per say with a morality informed by Christian values and this influencing government policy.
Forgive me that my memory recall is absolute shit right now and I can only come up with stem cell research for an example of scientifically holding us back and the losing battle of gay rights that is not really much of an issue anymore. There are parts of Christian values that hit the nail right on the head and I completely agree with, there are other things not so much, our government was set up to be free from regulations brought on by faith, the baby boomers seemed to have forgotten that as there are a decent amount that would try to claim we are a Christian nation. The big difference though is that the Christian's are well intentioned while the corporations are just driven by greed, there is a quote, I forget who its by and will probably jumble it some but the basic meaning of it is that; I fear those who have nothing but good intentions, for those that mean harm will tire or bore or become distracted while those who have nothing but good will in their hearts will be relentless in their efforts to bring it forth.

Forum List

Back