Addicts Should Be Able to Shoot Up Legally in Safe-Injection Facilities

It's been successful in hundreds of cities in Europe and Canada.

To fight the opioid crisis, let users shoot up under medical supervision

Annual opioid fatalities have now surpassed the yearly number of deaths from AIDS at the height of that epidemic in the mid-1990s. In 2016 drug overdose deaths numbered 63,000, more than the U.S. death toll from the entire Vietnam War. The trend is terrifying: the problem is getting worse each year.

Cities and states reeling from opioid deaths need to give serious consideration to setting up safe injection rooms, which could significantly reduce fatalities. These are places where a drug user can go to consume illegal drugs under the supervision of health workers. They have been used in Europe, Canada and Australia for decades, and evidence and experience have shown that they are very effective. This may not seem like an obvious way to fight an abuse epidemic, but few other options exist. In the U.S., many cities' efforts to establish such sites have stalled, but now multiple cities have plans to open the country's first officially sanctioned injection sites. Philadelphia expects to do so in 2019. San Francisco, too, hopes to overcome legal and siting obstacles and open its first facilities this year. New York City's mayor has also endorsed setting up multiple sites at current needle-exchange programs.
<more>
I would think that there might be a person in the site to counsel the addicts about quitting. I do think that there will be far fewer od's and transferred disease.

This will work out right up until someone dies and their family realizes they can sue the city/state for it.

We had the same thing happen up here in Anchorage when we gave out apartments to homeless [aka drunken natives if we're going to be bluntly honest.] One of them died and the family sued the city, and won. There are no more apartments for the homeless here now.

In fact, in the same vein, we don't have an overnight shelter for them anymore because some lazy employee of the shelter didn't properly deal with blood after a drunken/stoned homeless fight - the insurance companies and city said no more overnighting there because they weren't going to risk the liability.

Now we go back to how it was before, when the homeless folks freeze to death on the streets. ~shrug~
That is just sad.

This will work out right up until someone dies and their family realizes they can sue the city/state for it.

We had the same thing happen up here in Anchorage when we gave out apartments to homeless [aka drunken natives if we're going to be bluntly honest.] One of them died and the family sued the city, and won. There are no more apartments for the homeless here now.

In fact, in the same vein, we don't have an overnight shelter for them anymore because some lazy employee of the shelter didn't properly deal with blood after a drunken/stoned homeless fight - the insurance companies and city said no more overnighting there because they weren't going to risk the liability.

Now we go back to how it was before, when the homeless folks freeze to death on the streets. ~shrug~
That is just sad.

It is in a way, but that's the reality in.... idk "hyper-entitled" America today. The gov is ultimately held responsible for every single thing that goes wrong, especially when you get a lawyer involved, they know where the real money in "liability" is.

Handing out needles is probably fine, but having safe houses is just asking for a lawsuit. I personally gotta wonder what fucking insurance company would cover this shit, makes me opinion that there has got to be some kind of backroom bribe/assurance going on in the background somewhere.

Annual opioid fatalities have now surpassed the yearly number of deaths from AIDS at the height of that epidemic in the mid-1990s. In 2016 drug overdose deaths numbered 63,000, more than the U.S. death toll from the entire Vietnam War. The trend is terrifying: the problem is getting worse each year.

Cities and states reeling from opioid deaths need to give serious consideration to setting up safe injection rooms, which could significantly reduce fatalities. These are places where a drug user can go to consume illegal drugs under the supervision of health workers. They have been used in Europe, Canada and Australia for decades, and evidence and experience have shown that they are very effective. This may not seem like an obvious way to fight an abuse epidemic, but few other options exist. In the U.S., many cities' efforts to establish such sites have stalled, but now multiple cities have plans to open the country's first officially sanctioned injection sites. Philadelphia expects to do so in 2019. San Francisco, too, hopes to overcome legal and siting obstacles and open its first facilities this year. New York City's mayor has also endorsed setting up multiple sites at current needle-exchange programs.
<more>

Folks that receive opioids in hospitals, returning Vietnam vets, none of these folks had problems.

Addiction is in the mind, it is not a physical problem, this is propaganda.

Yep. Most people don't like it, it feels nasty and you feel like crap, and it constipates you. It isn't something normal healthy people would find addictive.

And besides, junkies will still just go hang out at their usual spots. My last visit to Switzerland I still saw lots of junkies on the streets and in the parks. Same in assorted German towns. Only fools think they are going to go sit in some waiting room all day and night.

Maybe my knowledge of heroin users is not the same as opioid addicts but no one feels like crap when high. The worst side effect is vomiting.
I think the vets that come home from abroad in combat are prime for addiction as it eliminates thought.

That is just sad.

It is in a way, but that's the reality in.... idk "hyper-entitled" America today. The gov is ultimately held responsible for every single thing that goes wrong, especially when you get a lawyer involved, they know where the real money in "liability" is.

Handing out needles is probably fine, but having safe houses is just asking for a lawsuit. I personally gotta wonder what fucking insurance company would cover this shit, makes me opinion that there has got to be some kind of backroom bribe/assurance going on in the background somewhere.
Perhaps a waiver of liability could be used.

“Addicts Should Be Able to Shoot Up Legally in Safe-Injection Facilities”

They should – but the authoritarian right would never allow such programs to be put into place.

For conservatives it’s about punishment and compelling conformity, not seeking out solutions to address a problem.

That is just sad.

Perhaps a waiver of liability could be used.

Maybe to get the insurance company out of it yeah, but I suspect any the city/state wrote up would be considered as unconstitutional under like "general welfare" in court. I'm no expert, but I mean giving them clean needles is a hell of a lot closer to the "acceptable practice" to keeping them from spreading diseases to each other, but offering them shelter to do what is largely considered a destructive lifestyle, and is in fact an actual crime, is outside the norm that a court really considers as "general welfare." ~shrug~

I'm keen to just let the loopies kill themselves off if they wish, but the population in general doesn't agree with that idea - because yeah, the majority of folks consider wasting ones life addicted to drugs as a bad thing. Which ultimately (I suspect) will lead straight back to the general impression of the courts being that "enabling" the behavior in such a manner does create liability for the city/state "facilitating" it. Something along the lines of aiding and abetting a criminal, I'd imagine.

As an addendum to the above, we also have stuff like this - https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-lots-from-man-in-feud-with-city-over-shelter

Where a company is suing the city because homeless crime around the homeless shelter scared off his customers and drove his property values into the shit can. The city ended up buying his land, but he's still suing for lost revenue.

I have no doubt you'll see similar cases around these "safe houses"

<more>

Folks that receive opioids in hospitals, returning Vietnam vets, none of these folks had problems.

Addiction is in the mind, it is not a physical problem, this is propaganda.

Yep. Most people don't like it, it feels nasty and you feel like crap, and it constipates you. It isn't something normal healthy people would find addictive.

And besides, junkies will still just go hang out at their usual spots. My last visit to Switzerland I still saw lots of junkies on the streets and in the parks. Same in assorted German towns. Only fools think they are going to go sit in some waiting room all day and night.

Maybe my knowledge of heroin users is not the same as opioid addicts but no one feels like crap when high. The worst side effect is vomiting.
I think the vets that come home from abroad in combat are prime for addiction as it eliminates thought.

Actually many people have a bad reaction to heroin and cocaine as well, and the hangovers are worse. Since they don't turn into junkies of course you're not going to hear about it. Who whines and snivels about not having any problems??? I mean besides teenagers.

The harm done by drug users is done to pay for outrageous prices charged by dealers. Theft and homelessness are the result.

Why not lock these people up and treat their addiction, rather than enabling it?

If only it were that easy. The thing is forcing addicts to get better doesn’t guarantee that once they’re clean and return to the real world they won’t use right away. An addict has to WANT to get better, otherwise once he has his freedom he’ll go straight for his drug.

If they go back to it. We let them OD. Problem solved.

<more>
And I bet you expect the tax payer to foot the bill. Fuck that.

<more>

They already do it's called the state of California.

<more>
The tax payer will pay far less than they do now.

<more>

<more>
That is a massive assumption with no evidence backing it up and no logic behind it.

Many were told that passing out free needles would cost less but that never materialized

The harm done by drug users is done to pay for outrageous prices charged by dealers. Theft and homelessness are the result.

It is way more far-reaching than that. They have children. They use drugs while pregnant.

Injecting houses sanctioned by the state is the ultimate in speciousness.

Either recreational drugs are criminalized or they are not. The weapons-grade hypocrisy of government sanctioned drug use for some and criminal records for others could only seem reasonable to someone with no morality at all.

It's part of a system and is used in conjunction with decriminalization of smaller amounts of drugs.

Forum List

Back