Addicts Should Be Able to Shoot Up Legally in Safe-Injection Facilities

It's the harm reduction method. Either embrace the whole model or don't. Don't do it half ass.

It cuts down on HIV and Hep C drastically--which society most often picks up the tab for via taxes.

Also, people need to start recognizing that some of these deaths are suicide. They are trying to kill themselves.
No, this is poking holes into a sinking ship in order to let the water out.

No. The harm reduction method is about harm reduction to the rest of society. Needle exchange programs are simply one piece.

It's the harm reduction method. Either embrace the whole model or don't. Don't do it half ass.

It cuts down on HIV and Hep C drastically--which society most often picks up the tab for via taxes.

Also, people need to start recognizing that some of these deaths are suicide. They are trying to kill themselves.

No. The harm reduction method is about harm reduction to the rest of society. Needle exchange programs are simply one piece.
And it plays to encourage more usage. It’s a self-perpetuating and exacerbating concept.

And it plays to encourage more usage. It’s a self-perpetuating and exacerbating concept.

No. They simply keep people from overdosing and that needles are disposed of properly and drop the levels of HIV and Hep C transfers through needle sharing.

Americans love their drugs and booze. It's an escape from their hectic sacked lives. I'm the end can we blame them? Gotta relax some way. Imagine the millions of functional alcoholics and drug users who hold management positions and are highly effective.

Blame them for what? It doesn't affect the nation in the very end. Legalize and tax. Imagine the revenue. This is america. The dollar rules above all else.

For being fuck heads. It affects everything from arrests, court costs, jail time, medical problems (hospitals, medication), foster care, children's medical issues etc. and so on. Not to mention these clowns steal from someone to support habits.

So legalize and tax and the problems go away because of the money to be made. The drug war is over and lost. This is America and drugs are commonplace. No big deal.

Could use the drug tax money to get treatment for those who actually want out of the cycle. At least that'd be worth "more" to the American public than the waste of money we spend on the absolutely failure of the "war on drugs."

Yep.....some think the drug war is a great cause. It's over. Drugs are a part of our culture now. I accept it. I don't hide them so I have no vested interest in seeing it stopped.

It's been successful in hundreds of cities in Europe and Canada.

Addicts Should Be Able to Shoot Up Legally in Safe-Injection Facilities

To fight the opioid crisis, let users shoot up under medical supervision

Annual opioid fatalities have now surpassed the yearly number of deaths from AIDS at the height of that epidemic in the mid-1990s. In 2016 drug overdose deaths numbered 63,000, more than the U.S. death toll from the entire Vietnam War. The trend is terrifying: the problem is getting worse each year.

Cities and states reeling from opioid deaths need to give serious consideration to setting up safe injection rooms, which could significantly reduce fatalities. These are places where a drug user can go to consume illegal drugs under the supervision of health workers. They have been used in Europe, Canada and Australia for decades, and evidence and experience have shown that they are very effective. This may not seem like an obvious way to fight an abuse epidemic, but few other options exist. In the U.S., many cities' efforts to establish such sites have stalled, but now multiple cities have plans to open the country's first officially sanctioned injection sites. Philadelphia expects to do so in 2019. San Francisco, too, hopes to overcome legal and siting obstacles and open its first facilities this year. New York City's mayor has also endorsed setting up multiple sites at current needle-exchange programs.
<more>
I would be great if they sold the pot, heroin, speed, super meth, at the same location. Yep, you could call the place" THINNING OF THE HERD.

We have drug treatment centers.

Admittedly I'm not into that scene, but maybe you have info? So do the addicts actually know about these places and are they free?

Not all of them are for free. Few are free although there is a small amount of money available and more so for women with children than men. They know they exist. There are programs out there. Lots of addicts fall into the category of dual diagnosis. That means they have mental health issues like.......bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc. Not a whole lot out there that is equipped to deal with that. Even so, there's no money for prescription medication when they exit----a lot like prison. Many are intellectually disabled which is also difficult.

And you aren't just dealing with the addiction but with trauma, legal issues, lack of skills or inability to gain employment due to a record. Many have children.

Addicts have to change the way they think of EVERYTHING. They have to develop new coping mechanisms. They have to move past the whole.........there is a life beyond partying. They have to drop most of their friends and, in a lot of cases, their family. And then deal with home, transportation, job, etc.

And sometimes it takes a long freaking time for them to come around......if they do. Funds often don't exist for that length of time.

Admittedly I'm not into that scene, but maybe you have info? So do the addicts actually know about these places and are they free?

Not all of them are for free. Few are free although there is a small amount of money available and more so for women with children than men. They know they exist. There are programs out there. Lots of addicts fall into the category of dual diagnosis. That means they have mental health issues like.......bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc. Not a whole lot out there that is equipped to deal with that. Even so, there's no money for prescription medication when they exit----a lot like prison. Many are intellectually disabled which is also difficult.

And you aren't just dealing with the addiction but with trauma, legal issues, lack of skills or inability to gain employment due to a record. Many have children.

Addicts have to change the way they think of EVERYTHING. They have to develop new coping mechanisms. They have to move past the whole.........there is a life beyond partying. They have to drop most of their friends and, in a lot of cases, their family. And then deal with home, transportation, job, etc.

And sometimes it takes a long freaking time for them to come around......if they do. Funds often don't exist for that length of time.

I agree, and it's up to them, individually, to /decide/ to change. Thus I argue, what's the point of throwing them in jail over it? It's clearly /not/ making them want to change here. Better to let them do what they want and hope that eventually they "grow out of it" or something. Else let them OD and be done with them.

I agree, and it's up to them, individually, to /decide/ to change. Thus I argue, what's the point of throwing them in jail over it? It's clearly /not/ making them want to change here. Better to let them do what they want and hope that eventually they "grow out of it" or something. Else let them OD and be done with them.

I agree with decriminalization for smaller amounts. The States have moved in that direction for almost a decade. However, .these clowns aren't just meandering through life solo with harming no one but themselves. They inflict damage on others.

Forum List

Back