Addicts Should Be Able to Shoot Up Legally in Safe-Injection Facilities

a high number of homeless are former vets
The word high is very subjective.

Some homeless are vets to be sure ( former vet is redundant ) but not as many as homeless advocates would have us believe.

Vets are historically smarter healthier and more motivated to succeed than others in general.

There are exceptions of course but the problem is most often exaggerated.

I would be OK with that if ....

The money to create and maintain those injection sites doesn't come from the taxpayer.
It'd cost the government many times less than the present situation.

Personal addiction .. personal habits of any kind, shouldn't be causing a burden on the taxpayer.

On principle, I oppose both the criminalization of recreational drugs as well as tax-payer funding of any rehab programs.

You oppose criminalization of all drugs? It’s not like addicts are only harming themselves

The money to create and maintain those injection sites doesn't come from the taxpayer.

Personal addiction .. personal habits of any kind, shouldn't be causing a burden on the taxpayer.

On principle, I oppose both the criminalization of recreational drugs as well as tax-payer funding of any rehab programs.

You oppose criminalization of all drugs? It’s not like addicts are only harming themselves
I agree with him.

It's not like drunks are only harming themselves but criminalizing alcohol made it worse just as criminalizing drugs is making it worse.

We can still prosecute those who do harm to others while letting those who choose to abuse drugs to do so legally and pay the consequences.

Trying to have it both ways has failed long ago.

The harm done by drug users is done to pay for outrageous prices charged by dealers. Theft and homelessness are the result.

I agree with him.

It's not like drunks are only harming themselves but criminalizing alcohol made it worse just as criminalizing drugs is making it worse.

We can still prosecute those who do harm to others while letting those who choose to abuse drugs to do so legally and pay the consequences.

But that’s also a cost burden on society. If all drugs become legal, more people are going to do them, resulting in more and more crime

"A free place to shoot up"????
You heartless thug!!
Do this and not supply the drugs and needles???? What is wrong with you?
And what about clothing? You wanna have them naked and freeze the death??
And these drug safehouses... no beds?? No cable TV?? No chef provided nutritious meals??
No wonder these people use drugs!! With heartless people like you only willing to give them meager shelter to just do drugs and then a big fuck you after that!!

Wow just wow!!

:rolleyes:

No doubt, those heartless SOB"s won't want to give them free college as well.

No doubt, those heartless SOB"s won't want to give them free college as well.

Only if they want to.
I mean, wouldn't want to put any pressures on them.
What I don't understand is why these heartless people want to build these drug houses when all they got to do is open their front door and wave them in???

The criminalization of alcohol in the US for 13-years was based on the exact same argument. The destruction of the family and particularity it's effect on the women and children. The legislation to criminalize alcohol and to give women the vote were inextricably linked. Suffragettes were universally prohibitionists.

During the 13-years where alcohol was illegal in the US, we say an unprecedented rise in gang warfare and violent crime. Families suffered the most as the price of alcohol the drinkers continued to use skyrocketed 1500%. Alcohol related deaths skyrocketed because, to squeeze every cent out of the illegal trade, bootleggers sold liquid poison to their desperate customers who were willing to pay anything for the privilege. Those same bootleggers, from dealing in illegal liquor, became millionaires and it launched the careers of more than a few 20th century politicians.

Since the 'War on Drugs' began in the '70s, American taxpayers shell out $50 Billion a year for the effort to stop illegal drugs. $2.5 TRILLION for 50 year war in which we haven't won a single battle. In fact, at times, the American government was simultaneously fighting drug trafficking and engaging in drug trafficking.

Speaking a human toll of drugs. Millions of otherwise law-abiding US citizens have been incarcerated or received criminal records for partaking of a substance no more noxious than legal alcohol. Our major cities have murder rates comparable to war zones due almost solely to illegal drug trafficking. Our neighbor to the south, Mexico, is a failed state with not a single judge, mayor, federal, state or city official who isn't beholding to drug cartels who enforce their power with murder. All of things things happen are exclusively due to the concept that recreational drugs are illegal.

There isn't a person today who wants to take drugs who isn't already doing so illegally. Legalization wouldn't lead to Scouts and Choir Boys suddenly becoming heroin addicts because it's now legal to do so anymore than the decriminalizing of alcohol led to a rise in alcohol consumption in the US when Prohibition was repealed.

I agree with him.

But that’s also a cost burden on society. If all drugs become legal, more people are going to do them, resulting in more and more crime
That is an assumption with no evidence nor is it very logical.

It turns out that when prohibition ended and alcohol became legal use and abuse of alcohol did not suddenly increase in fact the opposite happened. Of course this did last forever and alcohol consumption and related problems increased dramatically during WWII. However for a few years after legalization there were fewer rates of drunk driving and alcohol related injuries and illnesses.

Some people will do drugs most will not.

What prevents most people from doing so is that we simply know that use leads to bad consequences.

The criminalization of alcohol in the US for 13-years was based on the exact same argument. The destruction of the family and particularity it's effect on the women and children. The legislation to criminalize alcohol and to give women the vote were inextricably linked. Suffragettes were universally prohibitionists.

During the 13-years where alcohol was illegal in the US, we say an unprecedented rise in gang warfare and violent crime. Families suffered the most as the price of alcohol the drinkers continued to use skyrocketed 1500%. Alcohol related deaths skyrocketed because, to squeeze every cent out of the illegal trade, bootleggers sold liquid poison to their desperate customers who were willing to pay anything for the privilege. Those same bootleggers, from dealing in illegal liquor, became millionaires and it launched the careers of more than a few 20th century politicians.

Since the 'War on Drugs' began in the '70s, American taxpayers shell out $50 Billion a year for the effort to stop illegal drugs. $2.5 TRILLION for 50 year war in which we haven't won a single battle. In fact, at times, the American government was simultaneously fighting drug trafficking and engaging in drug trafficking.

Speaking a human toll of drugs. Millions of otherwise law-abiding US citizens have been incarcerated or received criminal records for partaking of a substance no more noxious than legal alcohol. Our major cities have murder rates comparable to war zones due almost solely to illegal drug trafficking. Our neighbor to the south, Mexico, is a failed state with not a single judge, mayor, federal, state or city official who isn't beholding to drug cartels who enforce their power with murder. All of things things happen are exclusively due to the concept that recreational drugs are illegal.

There isn't a person today who wants to take drugs who isn't already doing so illegally. Legalization wouldn't lead to Scouts and Choir Boys suddenly becoming heroin addicts because it's now legal to do so anymore than the decriminalizing of alcohol led to a rise in alcohol consumption in the US when Prohibition was repealed.
Absolutely true

We spend a lot on education for the threat of drugs.

Education is good but has it's limits.

Virtually everyone knows the dangers of drugs, if your abusing them you are just will fully ignoring the facts and nothing can be done to stop it.

How? If they OD and kill themselves, where is the additional cost to the government, i.e. the taxpayers.

BTW, you loons need to look up the definition of "enabler".

The harm done by drug users is done to pay for outrageous prices charged by dealers. Theft and homelessness are the result.

Why not lock these people up and treat their addiction, rather than enabling it?
As far as I can tell no treatment has a success rate of better than one in ten.

Meaning maybe ten percent of addicts recover the rest continue to relapse and abuse drugs.

This success rate is about the same for people who seek no treatment but simply stop abusing and will themselves to clean up.

We can't lock them up for life unless they commit murder. Volunteers and charities can continue to do what they can but ultimately such addicts need to be left to their own devices unless they harm others.

Why not lock these people up and treat their addiction, rather than enabling it?
As far as I can tell no treatment has a success rate of better than one in ten.

Meaning maybe ten percent of addicts recover the rest continue to relapse and abuse drugs.

This success rate is about the same for people who seek no treatment but simply stop abusing and will themselves to clean up.

We can't lock them up for life unless they commit murder. Volunteers and charities can continue to do what they can but ultimately such addicts need to be left to their own devices unless they harm others.

Bullshit! Lock them up until they are no longer addicted. Then, if they relapse, lock them up again. They will get tired of it soon enough.

I agree with the premise but i dont want to pay for people to get high.

Just decriminalize all drugs

The so called war on drugs is an abject and utter failure

It's been successful in hundreds of cities in Europe and Canada.

Addicts Should Be Able to Shoot Up Legally in Safe-Injection Facilities

To fight the opioid crisis, let users shoot up under medical supervision

Annual opioid fatalities have now surpassed the yearly number of deaths from AIDS at the height of that epidemic in the mid-1990s. In 2016 drug overdose deaths numbered 63,000, more than the U.S. death toll from the entire Vietnam War. The trend is terrifying: the problem is getting worse each year.

Cities and states reeling from opioid deaths need to give serious consideration to setting up safe injection rooms, which could significantly reduce fatalities. These are places where a drug user can go to consume illegal drugs under the supervision of health workers. They have been used in Europe, Canada and Australia for decades, and evidence and experience have shown that they are very effective. This may not seem like an obvious way to fight an abuse epidemic, but few other options exist. In the U.S., many cities' efforts to establish such sites have stalled, but now multiple cities have plans to open the country's first officially sanctioned injection sites. Philadelphia expects to do so in 2019. San Francisco, too, hopes to overcome legal and siting obstacles and open its first facilities this year. New York City's mayor has also endorsed setting up multiple sites at current needle-exchange programs.
<more>
Who gives a shit?

Forum List

Back