Abortion

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Kagom, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Alright, I have to say that I am pro-life. I think abortion is disgusting and very unfair to life.

But I have to ask all you other pro-lifers a question that's been bugging me: Why do you want to get rid of institutionalized abortion?

I've examined it this way: It's safter for people than going into back alleys and having rusty coat hangers and vasoline being used, only in turn to have those young women go to the hospital bleeding profusely (as one nurse reported) and on death's door. Do we really want to go back to that?

I think we should teach more in sexual education and offer up an easier access to contraception. Also, teach that it would be better to go to term and put the child up for adoption, that way the child wins out and the mother won't regret the decision as much as she would with an abortion. It kinda boils down to getting slightly more promiscuous people or having more dying/hurt people. I'm not saying that either one is moral/ethical, but one is the less of two evils.

2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I see it as those who want to eliminate institutionalized abortion do not want to deal in reality. I've heard so many arguments about "sluts" and "whores" who are degrading society and that abortion is evil...whether or not you believe this or not shouldn't render your decision on this issue. If you eliminate institutionalized abortion there will be more deaths due to "dirty" practices...that's the reality. You can't preach that sexual promiscuity is evil and expect everyone to follow along.

I will say this, though: education should promote abstinence and effective birth control. And for those who are so strongly against abortion, they should promote the widespread use of contraceptives because thinking that you can get everyone to conform to abstinence until marriage is not realistic.

3. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    That's exactly the point my ex brought up.

4. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,361
    So libby,your saying the ADULT female who should by now have enough education about what creates a baby, that HER life IS MORE important than this innocent child she just went out and created? NICE!: :lame2: Typical liberal, only think about themselves. You have no heart or a soul :banned:

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I am against abortion. I am very against government supported abortion. First off, I'm against the federal government continuing to grow by mandating that everyone who wants an abortion gets one. There are many other, more vital medical procedures that people don't get. Get over it. Abortion needs to go back to pre-Roe v. Wade, in that states decide.

Second, I have a problem with the fact that many loving, but infertile, couples are forced to sit on waiting lists for 5+ years trying to adopt a kid while down the street, 100 potential adoptees die every day. I also have a problem with the father being given NO say in the abortion. Now, I think he needs to back that up with, at the very least, child support, but a mother shouldn't be able to get an abortion as a way of hurting the father.

All of the extreme arguments for abortion (except life-threatening, which I have no problem with) can be solved with adoption. People keep mentioning rape. Well, lots of people have to suffer for crimes, and that's why they're crimes. Should your baby really suffer death because you don't want to carry around a reminder for nine months until adoption can be finalized?

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I am pro-life. But I am not pro-life because 'people are going to do it anyway, so let's make it safer for them.' I'm pro-life because I believe that it is morally wrong to kill an innocent person - in this case, an unborn baby.

While there is certainly room in the cirriculum for birth control techniques, I believe the focus of sex ed ought to be on abstinence. It is a crock to say that 'kids are gonna have sex anyway, let's just give them condoms.' Teenagers need to learn the consequences of sex, which include STDs, pregnancies, broken relationships, etc., and they need to be challenged to abstain (ideally until marriage, but at least until they are adults and able to make more rational decisions).

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You didn't pay attention to one word I wrote...In my comment, I wasn't attacking it as a "moral" issue. I was looking at it from a pragmatic standpoint (something you and many conservatives fail to do with so many issues). We cannot stop women from getting abortions-- whether we reverse Roe v. Wade or not, it will still happen. The least we can do is provide a sanitary institution for the practice to continue: For the woman's protection and for that "innocent child" that you cry about. If the practice is being done illegitimately, isn't it more likely for the "child" to suffer through inadequate and underground medical practices?

Also, health classes do promote abstinence, but they are not stupid and they realize that those things called hormones in the bodies of teenagers are going to react. The school system won't stop kids from having sex (even with the warnings of STDs-- (lol, I'm sorry the new politically correct term is "STI")) and other ramifications. Kids will have sex and that's the bottom line. If we promote both abstinence and contraceptives (and the effective use of them) with a rigorous curriculum, we will then limit the number of abortions.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    If you had the power to stop 10,000 murders this year, would you 'not' use that power because there's NO way you could stop "all murders"?

9. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Abortion:

One dead; one wounded

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    To look at the pragmatic side of abortion and ignore the moral ramifications is foolish. Pragmatically speaking, it could be agrued, it's best for us to systematically kill all people who are drains on tax money: the mentally and physically disabled, the elderly, welfare moms, etc. By your logic (i.e. ignoring the morality of the action), we should start lining them up, Adolf Hitler style.

The school system may not stop kids from having sex, but 1) they shouldn't encourage sex, and 2) parents can stop their kids, if they have the willpower. And to throw your hands up in the air and say "Oh, they'll just do it anyway" is both saddening and ridiculous.