Those Who Fear A Moral Government Over A Secular One

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Bonnie, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Just what specifically are you realistically afraid will happen to you personally if the lines between a secular government and a moralistic governement were melded together somehow??

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Can you give me an example of what you mean? I guess I look back to the first 'public schools' in America, those teaching King James version of the Bible. There was a lot of anti-Catholocism there, enough that we started our wide-spread parochial schools. I can't imagine what school must have been like for the handful of Jews, atheists, etc.

I'm not an extremist, one way or the other, but would NOT like a state religion.

3. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Im asking the folks on the board who are very afraid of any Christianity seeping into government what specifically are they afraid would happen to them or change their lives so drastically from what it is now??

Like you Kathianne I believe in common sense when it comes to this subject, but I don't fear religious people in government bringing their christian faith to their jobs as many others do, and I just wonder?

4. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm not afraid of it. I just think it wouldn't be as fair as it should be. I think a slightly mixed government with moral and secular could work depending on the subjects. But a total secular society just would feel weird and a total moral society would just feel like being caught in a modern medieval foothold that society.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bonnie, common sense and tolerance are required. I think in this country, it's best to stay with 'Our Father' or 'Divine Being'. Those who are not Christian are also Americans. I think there should be as much tolerance for Christianity as for Islam, Atheism, Wiccan, Vegetarianism, etc. However, to 'sanction' Christianity for the 'state' would be a mistake, IMO. Believe it or not, there are quite a few 'Christians' who would say that Catholics are not 'Christians'.

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    To which I would say I agree! :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1