Those Who Fear A Moral Government Over A Secular One

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Just what specifically are you realistically afraid will happen to you personally if the lines between a secular government and a moralistic governement were melded together somehow??

Bonnie said:
Just what specifically are you realistically afraid will happen to you personally if the lines between a secular government and a moralistic governement were melded together somehow??
Can you give me an example of what you mean? I guess I look back to the first 'public schools' in America, those teaching King James version of the Bible. There was a lot of anti-Catholocism there, enough that we started our wide-spread parochial schools. I can't imagine what school must have been like for the handful of Jews, atheists, etc.

I'm not an extremist, one way or the other, but would NOT like a state religion.

Kathianne said:
Can you give me an example of what you mean? I guess I look back to the first 'public schools' in America, those teaching King James version of the Bible. There was a lot of anti-Catholocism there, enough that we started our wide-spread parochial schools. I can't imagine what school must have been like for the handful of Jews, atheists, etc.

I'm not an extremist, one way or the other, but would NOT like a state religion.

Im asking the folks on the board who are very afraid of any Christianity seeping into government what specifically are they afraid would happen to them or change their lives so drastically from what it is now??

Like you Kathianne I believe in common sense when it comes to this subject, but I don't fear religious people in government bringing their christian faith to their jobs as many others do, and I just wonder?

Bonnie said:
I'm not afraid of it. I just think it wouldn't be as fair as it should be. I think a slightly mixed government with moral and secular could work depending on the subjects. But a total secular society just would feel weird and a total moral society would just feel like being caught in a modern medieval foothold that society.

Bonnie said:
Im asking the folks on the board who are very afraid of any Christianity seeping into government what specifically arre they afraid would happen to them or change their lives so drastically form what it is now??

Like you Kathianne I believe in common sense when it comes to this subject, but I don't fear religious people in government bringing their christian faith to their jobs as many others do, and I just wonder?

Bonnie, common sense and tolerance are required. I think in this country, it's best to stay with 'Our Father' or 'Divine Being'. Those who are not Christian are also Americans. I think there should be as much tolerance for Christianity as for Islam, Atheism, Wiccan, Vegetarianism, etc. However, to 'sanction' Christianity for the 'state' would be a mistake, IMO. Believe it or not, there are quite a few 'Christians' who would say that Catholics are not 'Christians'.

Kagom said:
I'm not afraid of it. I just think it wouldn't be as fair as it should be. I think a slightly mixed government with moral and secular could work depending on the subjects. But a total secular society just would feel weird and a total moral society would just feel like being caught in a modern medieval foothold that society.[/QUOTE]

My point is that's what we have now, a mix which leans mostly secular, whereas the founding fathers had a much more moral deist government set in place. We have steadily moved away from that now to the point where the ACLU is doing everything it can wipe out public displays and other associations with religion mostly Christianity.
Which leads me back to my original question mainly to those who support the aspirations of the ACLU and others is what specifically do you fear to have a government more akin to the way it was origianlly set in place by our founders??

Probably should have worded my question better

Kathianne said:
Bonnie, common sense and tolerance are required. I think in this country, it's best to stay with 'Our Father' or 'Divine Being'. Those who are not Christian are also Americans. I think there should be as much tolerance for Christianity as for Islam, Atheism, Wiccan, Vegetarianism, etc. However, to 'sanction' Christianity for the 'state' would be a mistake, IMO. Believe it or not, there are quite a few 'Christians' who would say that Catholics are not 'Christians'.

To which I would say I agree! :)

Forum List

Back