Abortion access threatened

What a way to get someone to birth a child for you!!

Do childless couples have trouble adopting now? Have we run out of orphans?

Yes, we have. Why do you think so many people go out of the country?

* Less than 3% of white unmarried women and less than 2% of Black unmarried women. (Mosher and Bachrach, 1996)
* Of Black women with premarital births,
From 1952 to 1972, 1.5% placed their children for adoption.
From 1973 to 1981, this percentage fell to .2%
From 1982 to 1988, it rose to 1.1%.

* Of White women with premarital births,
From 1952 to 1972, 19.3% placed their children for adoption.
From 1973 to 1981, this percentage fell to 7.6%.
From 1982 to 1988, it fell further to 3.2%. (Bachrach, Stolley, London, 1992)
Adoption Statistics: Placing Children
People go out of the country because they want infants. There are plenty of older children and children with disabilities who need foster care and parents. If there are childen out of the country who need homes why ruin their chances by forcing homegrown baby production?

Yes they want infants, and going out of the country to adopt is very, very expensive as I'm sure you know. If these women don't want their children, they should give them up at birth.

No one is forcing homegrown baby production Ang. These unwanted pregnancies aren't forced upon anyone. Except in the case of rape.

Being pregnant isn't fun, but that's the risk you take if you aren't extra careful. Abortion shouldn't be the only choice for unwanted children.

This is nothing but a supply and demand issue.
Follow the money. If there is money to be made in it, it will be done.
Yes, the adoption industry is a money maker for the brokers. Selling babies can get you a comfortable income. Even when you sell your own.

Not sure if you understood I was referring to "access" to Abortion or not or just being a smart ass.
But you are correct and the same theory applies.

Abortion shouldn't be the only choice for unwanted children.

Has it ever been?

Adoption within the US is not very cheap either. Unless you are willing to take a less than perfect child, then it's a bit more affordable.

You call it a silver lining that more restrictions on abortion may increase the up for adoption baby pool. I hope you do not think of it as a selling point. I'm sure many do.

Following the current zeitgeist, most American women bearing children they can't afford will do their utmost to hold onto them. Who could blame them? The maternal instinct is a very strong one. Welfare will continue to support them and even if that were cut it will mean many costly and emotional battles by Family Services to wrest children from their parent's arms. In most cases then you will still end up with older children with issues to be dealt with.

I think that women who must give up their children to someone else through no fault of her own but that they were denied abortion and now can't afford to feed their kids, must be among the most unfortunate and most cruely wronged women in the world. I don't see any silver lining in situations like this.

Children being raised by parents who want and love them is never a bad thing.

But I doubt that's the goal of the protestors. I just mentioned it as a possible unintended consequence. Personally I'd prefer if people who dont want kids got a fricken shot. But that would make too much sense.

Has it ever been?

Adoption within the US is not very cheap either. Unless you are willing to take a less than perfect child, then it's a bit more affordable.

You call it a silver lining that more restrictions on abortion may increase the up for adoption baby pool. I hope you do not think of it as a selling point. I'm sure many do.

Following the current zeitgeist, most American women bearing children they can't afford will do their utmost to hold onto them. Who could blame them? The maternal instinct is a very strong one. Welfare will continue to support them and even if that were cut it will mean many costly and emotional battles by Family Services to wrest children from their parent's arms. In most cases then you will still end up with older children with issues to be dealt with.

I think that women who must give up their children to someone else through no fault of her own but that they were denied abortion and now can't afford to feed their kids, must be among the most unfortunate and most cruely wronged women in the world. I don't see any silver lining in situations like this.

I see your point... keep someone shielded from a possibly tough life by killing them.

Nice plan.

What people are these?

Well, your typical liberal environmentalists. Not ALL of them, of course, because I try not to make absolute statements like that. But I'm sure there are many...enough to make pointing out the irony worthwhile.

You don't find it strange that a person would argue against something for environmental reasons because living things are potentially killed in the process, and simultaneously support killing a fetus simply because it's an inconvenience?

I'm only speaking about the matter of convenience in this case, not a rape, or something else that might provide a more justified reason for an abortion.
No, I don't find that strange at all. In fact, if every fetus were to turn into a human being that lived an average life span and procreated the environment, and thus the future of our species, would be in grave danger. Get back to to when there is a shortage of fetuses and then I will be concerned about them.

Ouch Ang.

So the value of living things correlates directly to the amount of each in existence?

Children being raised by parents who want and love them is never a bad thing.

But I doubt that's the goal of the protestors. I just mentioned it as a possible unintended consequence. Personally I'd prefer if people who dont want kids got a fricken shot. But that would make too much sense.
As long as those children came to their parents by honest means and there was no forced birth due to abortion being denied then forced release for adoption. Women are not breeding stock.

I don't understand what you said about people who don't want kids. They should be shot?

Are you serious? I meant Depro Provera! To be perfectly honest, if I had a teen daughter, I'd prob give her the shot in the ass as she slept just as a precaution.

There are ways to prevent pregnancy. 99 percent of the time.

Are you serious? I meant Depro Provera! To be perfectly honest, if I had a teen daughter, I'd prob give her the shot in the ass as she slept just as a precaution.

There are ways to prevent pregnancy. 99 percent of the time.
You said it yourself, 99% of the time.

Well, your typical liberal environmentalists. Not ALL of them, of course, because I try not to make absolute statements like that. But I'm sure there are many...enough to make pointing out the irony worthwhile.

You don't find it strange that a person would argue against something for environmental reasons because living things are potentially killed in the process, and simultaneously support killing a fetus simply because it's an inconvenience?

I'm only speaking about the matter of convenience in this case, not a rape, or something else that might provide a more justified reason for an abortion.
No, I don't find that strange at all. In fact, if every fetus were to turn into a human being that lived an average life span and procreated the environment, and thus the future of our species, would be in grave danger. Get back to to when there is a shortage of fetuses and then I will be concerned about them.

Ouch Ang.

So the value of living things correlates directly to the amount of each in existence?
That's how things work in the natural word, Paulie. Excess children used to be disposed of by leaving them out in the elements or selling them off as slaves. We aren't like some species like kangaroos which can reabsorb fetuses when environmental conditions change. Now we can slow down the birthrate and children can come into existence at a rate which alows us to give thm th very best life has to offer. We can can also afford to give women the right to live for something other than existing as breeding stock and servants to men.
When human life dwindles to the point where the species may become extinct, then we can revisit the value of subjecting women to becoming involuntary incubators. Or maybe we will have the technology to make men serve as incubators. Maybe you all can do a better job of it. lol!

As it stands now, no need at all to subject human beings to those sorts of injustices.

Has it ever been?

I see your point... keep someone shielded from a possibly tough life by killing them.

Nice plan.

Maybe that's your plan. Certainly not mine.

Am I the only person in this thread to feel compassion for women forced by lack of access to birth control and abortion to give birth and then have to give their babies away to strangers?

Am I the only person in this thread to feel compassion for women forced by lack of access to birth control and abortion to give birth and then have to give their babies away to strangers?

You expect compassion on this topic? Good luck with that.

I would hazard to guess that the majority expect that if a female gets pregnant then that is too damn bad, time to step up to the plate and do what you gotta do. Excuses are not accepted.

You expect compassion on this topic? Good luck with that.

I would hazard to guess that the majority expect that if a female gets pregnant then that is too damn bad, time to step up to the plate and do what you gotta do. Excuses are not accepted.
All of us came from a mother. Regardless of our relationships with our mothers later on, in the beginning we wanted nothing more than to be with them. I find it astounding how callous people can be about a mother's desire to be with her baby.

If it weren't for sex, none of us would be here.

I am not thinking that the beef is with the sex but the consequences of the decision to have sex. "If you can't do the time don't do the crime". Back to the OP access is down to quality medical for everything in the past few years unless you have the money so it is not a surprise really.

A day later and still stone cold silence from the anti-abortion crowd on the subject of compassion for mothers who must abandon their babies to strangers.

I am not thinking that the beef is with the sex but the consequences of the decision to have sex. "If you can't do the time don't do the crime". Back to the OP access is down to quality medical for everything in the past few years unless you have the money so it is not a surprise really.
True about access to all kinds of medical care. Though in the case of abortion there is the factor of additional pressure brought on by the protesters.

Imagine if a whacko group decided to picket cancer centers and threaten oncologists?

Are you surprised to hear this sort of thing is happening in the Liberal North East?
Will abortion eventually become inaccessible anywhere in the US due to pressure from anti-abortion groups and locals who fear them?

This simply about the economy. There is no threat to access for abortions due to anti-Choice crowds and rent in Chestnut hill is really high. It is the typical over priced over policed white suburbia.

Has it ever been?

No one forces a woman to keep a child. In fact, what greater act of love than to put your child above your own desires and give it to someone who will love it and can afford to care for it properly.

I have several family members who are ours through adoption - two of whom are special needs. They are as much part of my family as anyone else. In fact, if we were ever able to meet the kind mothers of these children, we would say 'thanks' cuz their kids are a gift to our family beyond measure.

Are you surprised to hear this sort of thing is happening in the Liberal North East?
Will abortion eventually become inaccessible anywhere in the US due to pressure from anti-abortion groups and locals who fear them?

This simply about the economy. There is no threat to access for abortions due to anti-Choice crowds and rent in Chestnut hill is really high. It is the typical over priced over policed white suburbia.
Did you read the article? Not only are protesters trying to shut this clinic down, the neighbors are too. They are petitioning the town because they don't want the protesters to have an adverse effect on their businesses nearby. They don't want their kids to be frightened by these people on the way to day care.
If you think the death threats to GYNs has had no effect on their decisions to offer abortion services or not has no effect you have been misinformed.
Two clinics in Brookline have already had personnel murdered on site by a protester.

The move to Brookline was due to economic reasons. If the clinic must move again or close down, it will be due to the community's reaction to the protesters.

Forum List

Back