CDZ A thought on armed teachers - how we could make it work

My wife is a public school teacher - 21 years in

one of her co-workers is retired military, Air Force Major

my thought - EVERY public school should have one ex military officer for every 100 - 150 kids enrolled

these teachers would be specially licensed to carry a firearm at the school

this would be in addition to the SRO (School Resource Officer) & would provide backup and added protection; the SRO would be the "point man" and be "in charge" in an emergency situation

so - a school with 500 students would have an SRO (real police officer) and FIVE trained and armed teachers for protection and emergency situations - for a total of 6 people trained and armed to secure the school

these ex military teachers (could also be retired police, or similar field) would receive an additional $5,000 - $10,000 per year for their added responsibility (that works out to $250 - $500 a month in pay - seems fair) and would be responsible to attend training and anti terrorism instructions at least once a quarter - all of them get together and run training exorcises and study and practice best hiding places for students; best modes of exit, etc)

I could easily see a state like Alabama or Louisiana piloting and testing a system like this & I also think it would work - IE reduce the number of shootings/incidents; because the knowledge of the added security would serve as a deterrent - would make schools less of a soft target

many schools already have ex military on staff that could already participate

what do y'all think of that?

in some places it is already in place

besides military there are other personnel within a school that are

or could become quite competent with firearms

agree. But then, I think if we spent more on education we would have a better society and probably fewer of these tragedie
We've tried pouring more money in

Let the public license know schools have armed and trained teachers

I like this better than tossing 2nd ammendment

I can't see any value in it all. Stop worrying about all the control freak bullshit and just let the teachers who want to carry, carry. Problem solved. Not one of these retarded lib freaks has came with anything that will stop it except the tired and worn out taking more guns away from people who had nothing to do with it.

Take a deep breath there, Mike. You will feel better soon.
I don't feel bad at all. All these people all over wringing their hands and proposing all these "solutions" and coming up with all kind of schemes is ridiculous. Not talking about the OP, just in general. All these pricks want is eventual gun removal which will make crime skyrocket.
There have been 18 school shootings SO FAR THIS YEAR!!!!!!! 6 WEEKS!!!!! But doing nothing is ok?

How about an ability to lock down a school quickly? Electronic locks on all classrooms. Doors within hallways to contain movement within the school (like firedoors).
Would not have mattered in FL

Kid snuck in and pulled fire alarm and started shooting as people filed out

Am armed and trained teacher could have dropped him and reduced deaths to 3 or 5 instead of 17

The school officer in FL never even saw the shooter IIRC

So when teachers have to spend money out of their own pocket at virtually EVERY school, so the kids will have what they need, the answer is "No!". But when it comes to spending lots of money to arm teachers for a relatively rare occurrance, somehow the money is there?

Will these retired military "teachers" be able to teach? People spend years learning to do it, and the test scores are still slipping. People with no experience will be able to do the job?

We spend a lot on education. Where is the money going?

Well, for starters there are more than 3 million full-time teachers. Add support staff and admin, textbooks, library materials, administrative equipment, computers, utility bills, internet access, buses (main. & fuel) and it adds up quick.

per student spending.

Spend-Ach-Staff-Pct-Chg-small.jpg

Very interesting to say the least. Why do you see Alabama or Louisiana as easy testing grounds for said program?
Two states that I think would be receptive to the idea and be easier to pass this and test the idea

Texas already allows this on a smaller scale, but not as a matter of actual policy

Doesn't Texas lock the doors and station 2 or 3 teacher's, resource officers at front door with an overhead security camera and you have to pass through these people in to get into the school?

I like the idea of metal detector's and door locking after everyone reports to school.

I spoke with a resource officer yesterday at our local schools he said it would be a nightmare if every teacher had a gun. It would make it very difficult when a swat team arrived to distinguish legal gun carrying teachers from the bad guys. But maybe just a few trained ex military is a good idea.

I can't see any value in it all. Stop worrying about all the control freak bullshit and just let the teachers who want to carry, carry. Problem solved. Not one of these retarded lib freaks has came with anything that will stop it except the tired and worn out taking more guns away from people who had nothing to do with it.

I don't feel bad at all. All these people all over wringing their hands and proposing all these "solutions" and coming up with all kind of schemes is ridiculous. Not talking about the OP, just in general. All these pricks want is eventual gun removal which will make crime skyrocket.
There have been 18 school shootings SO FAR THIS YEAR!!!!!!! 6 WEEKS!!!!! But doing nothing is ok?
As long as you continue to deny teachers a right to defend themselves and the kids YOU are responsible.

Very interesting to say the least. Why do you see Alabama or Louisiana as easy testing grounds for said program?
Two states that I think would be receptive to the idea and be easier to pass this and test the idea

Texas already allows this on a smaller scale, but not as a matter of actual policy

Doesn't Texas lock the doors and station 2 or 3 teacher's, resource officers at front door with an overhead security camera and you have to pass through these people in to get into the school?

I like the idea of metal detector's and door locking after everyone reports to school.

I spoke with a resource officer yesterday at our local schools he said it would be a nightmare if every teacher had a gun. It would make it very difficult when a swat team arrived to distinguish legal gun carrying teachers from the bad guys. But maybe just a few trained ex military is a good idea.

I'm sorry that the swat team can't just kill anyone they see with a gun...

Wait, I'm not. Haven't they ever heard of off duty or undercover police officers being killed by stupid cops who think anyone with a gun is a bad guy?

If their training is to shoot on sight, than that's the problem.

A lone policeman, armed with his service revolver is probably not going to engage a shooter. He is outgunned at that point. Normally they would call for backup

A single teacher, armed with a handgun, with little training is ill-equipped to do battle with an active shooter
If the opportunity arises, where he could get off a shot undetected, he may kill the shooter. But going head to head against an AR-15 is not adviseable

So when teachers have to spend money out of their own pocket at virtually EVERY school, so the kids will have what they need, the answer is "No!". But when it comes to spending lots of money to arm teachers for a relatively rare occurrance, somehow the money is there?

Will these retired military "teachers" be able to teach? People spend years learning to do it, and the test scores are still slipping. People with no experience will be able to do the job?

Well, for starters there are more than 3 million full-time teachers. Add support staff and admin, textbooks, library materials, administrative equipment, computers, utility bills, internet access, buses (main. & fuel) and it adds up quick.

per student spending.

Typical of what we do in this country. Throw money at an issue and expect that to solve the problem or improve an issue.

How about an ability to lock down a school quickly? Electronic locks on all classrooms. Doors within hallways to contain movement within the school (like firedoors).

Makes sense
Not just lock classrooms but lock off hallways restricting access to the whole school

A lone policeman, armed with his service revolver is probably not going to engage a shooter. He is outgunned at that point. Normally they would call for backup

A single teacher, armed with a handgun, with little training is ill-equipped to do battle with an active shooter
If the opportunity arises, where he could get off a shot undetected, he may kill the shooter. But going head to head against an AR-15 is not adviseable

Mass shooters have been stopped by lone cops with their carry guns and/or single armed teachers.

There are people walking around today, lots of them, because mass shooters were stopped by such people way before "back up" would have arrived.

my thought - EVERY public school should have one ex military officer for every 100 - 150 kids enrolled

this would be in addition to the SRO (School Resource Officer) & would provide backup and added protection; the SRO would be the "point man" and be "in charge" in an emergency situation

so - a school with 500 students would have an SRO (real police officer) and FIVE trained and armed teachers for protection and emergency situations - for a total of 6 people trained and armed to secure the school

these ex military teachers (could also be retired police, or similar field) would receive an additional $5,000 - $10,000 per year for their added responsibility (that works out to $250 - $500 a month in pay - seems fair) and would be responsible to attend training and anti terrorism instructions at least once a quarter - all of them get together and run training exorcises and study and practice best hiding places for students; best modes of exit, etc)

I could easily see a state like Alabama or Louisiana piloting and testing a system like this & I also think it would work - IE reduce the number of shootings/incidents; because the knowledge of the added security would serve as a deterrent - would make schools less of a soft target

I do not totally oppose having trained teachers who are permitted to carry concealed. I do not want open carry in schools

Raises a lot of issues on level of training, ability to handle an active shooter situation and expectation of the ability of a teacher to confront a gunman with an AR-15 using only a handgun

It works in the movies where the good guy always gets the bad guy despite overwhelming odds. In real life, an innocent student could get killed or the teacher could be confused with the gunman when the police arrive
There is no training for someone shooting at you. It is pretty simple though for most people with any sense. If the shooting starts, take cover, or shoot back or a combination there of. In the current situation made possible by the government who protects us all, it plays out like this: The shooting starts, lots of people die.

Police go to weeks of training on how to engage a shooter and they still make mistakes
Much like police, an untrained teacher would be jumping at shadows and firing at anything that looks like a threat

An armed teacher could kill a shooter.....but there are also risks

per student spending.

Typical of what we do in this country. Throw money at an issue and expect that to solve the problem or improve an issue.

When I was a child, my grade school had it's own inhouse bus garage and buses, and I think ONCE in my life there was an issue with a bus that messed up my going to school.

Today, my kid's school, outsources to the lowest bidder and it has been so bad, that when we moved, we moved to a place where we aren't on a bus route, and just take the kid ourselves, because they suck so much.

Where the f**k is the money going?

Total gun banner nonsense. If a teacher takes the shooter out, what are they all gonna keep shooting at? You people get more ridiculous everyday. But dont worry, if the teachers do shoot the guy, the will know who the shooter is. He'll be the dead guy with the gun.

That number is also largely propaganda, and has little to do with the actual school shootings we are discussing. When the list was published after the Kentucky school shooting, it included so bogus additions to the list. At least 2 of them were suicides by students. The fact that they used a gun was incidental. They would have done it anyway. One of the "school shootings" on that list is a pellet gun shooting of a school bus window. And one of the "school shootings" was a 30something year old man who committed suicide in the parking lot of an empty school. But the fact that he used a gun in an empty school parking lot makes it the same as some lunatic killing 12 or 17 kids? No. This kind of smear propaganda does no one any good.

I do not totally oppose having trained teachers who are permitted to carry concealed. I do not want open carry in schools

Raises a lot of issues on level of training, ability to handle an active shooter situation and expectation of the ability of a teacher to confront a gunman with an AR-15 using only a handgun

It works in the movies where the good guy always gets the bad guy despite overwhelming odds. In real life, an innocent student could get killed or the teacher could be confused with the gunman when the police arrive
There is no training for someone shooting at you. It is pretty simple though for most people with any sense. If the shooting starts, take cover, or shoot back or a combination there of. In the current situation made possible by the government who protects us all, it plays out like this: The shooting starts, lots of people die.

Police go to weeks of training on how to engage a shooter and they still make mistakes
Much like police, an untrained teacher would be jumping at shadows and firing at anything that looks like a threat

An armed teacher could kill a shooter.....but there are also risks
There's always risks. And the cops train for weeks with NO ONE shooting at them. There is no training on how to be shot at. LOL jumping at shadows. If the shadow has a gun shoot it. But lets face it all you RL's want is a gun ban, and that will not stop shootings.

per student spending.

Throw money at a problem? When the average teacher has to spend $500 a year out of their own pockets (which are not bery deep to begin with), we can't be throwing much money at the problem.

Total gun banner nonsense. If a teacher takes the shooter out, what are they all gonna keep shooting at? You people get more ridiculous everyday. But dont worry, if the teachers do shoot the guy, the will know who the shooter is. He'll be the dead guy with the gun.

No you people don't know your ass from a hole in a ground. When there are 50 teachers shooting who the hell do the cops know who the real shooter is? Answer that asshat. Some schools are big enough that every teacher doesn't know the other teachers. Think about that clown.

Forum List

Back