A small trip to the grocery...a large aggravation.

Also food stamps are the best stimulus, retailers everywhere take them. It seems like a few of you are trying to make yourselves seem better than everyone else by continuing this nonsense.

You had to mention the "s-word?"

Really, don't you think that Food Stamps should be used to fulfill dietary necessity, and that buying cigarettes contravenes the "necessity?"

Yes and yes. The ciggies can be comforting to a depressed poor person though.

It is also obvious that some people, such as yourself, have a twisted bizarre view of how an economy works.

this 'twisted view' is the basis of every last larger developed economy in the world. it is only bizarre to folks who have not looked into the facts and history of the subject.

And part of the reason why most of those countries are facing sovereign debt crises. Turning people into dependents on the government instead of fostering a climate which spurs economic growth and job creation is a downward spiral maneuver - as we are seeing demonstrated in high relief in our current economy.

:eusa_hand: this is the driving force behind the high employment rates in these developed countries too. the developing and underdeveloped world cant crest our level of labor force utilization, even in the current state of our economy. economic growth measured per capita is more robust in the developed world as well.

i'll give you the fact that underfinanced entitlements and defense spending comprise the state of sovereign debt, but that is far from changing the international opinion as to which currencies are worth something and which aren't. that remains in the league of the developed world as well.

what all nations demonstrate is that people and enterprise are dependent on government in some ways. developed nations are the governments which have recognized this fact and owned up to the responsibility to steward the economy within their borders.

Also food stamps are the best stimulus, retailers everywhere take them. It seems like a few of you are trying to make yourselves seem better than everyone else by continuing this nonsense.

You had to mention the "s-word?"

Really, don't you think that Food Stamps should be used to fulfill dietary necessity, and that buying cigarettes contravenes the "necessity?"

Yes and yes. The ciggies can be comforting to a depressed poor person though.

Yep, ciggies definately have there place.....I've actually given away packs to the poor as a humanitarian gesture.

Barking up the wrong tree Einstein.
I flat out never - ever drink and drive. Not one f*cking time. I was in a terrible accident when I was 16 years old that resulted in severe injuries to one of my friends and killed my best friend right in front of me.
So you can stick that mistaken surmise where the sun don't shine.

And Leinekugal isn't imported beer, it has been made in WI since 1867.
Yet another brilliantly wrong point you tried to make.

So did you buy your food with tax dollars to afford your favorite beer? Or did you work for every penny you paid for you beer?

You know the answer to that one.

Sure i do. :) But for anyone else to believe you, you have to be the one to say it.

I know I did..

Actually, we were a family of 10 including parents and I had my share of bologna sammiches, or peanut butter, egg salad, for lunch, whatever what was around and inexpensive.

I can't see the people here sitting in judgement and acting like they know what "type" of poor person they are gawking at. It's not helpful.

Did your parents work or were they on welfare, food stamps and wick?

My father worked 2 jobs but that is neither here nor there. There was never enough but they were very good parents. You can't judge that woman anymore than you could judge my mother back then because you don't know what is going on in their lives.

Oh but yes it is here and there. Your father worked hard at two jobs to keep his family together, you were still raised poor and you did just fine. You didn't have all the extra stuff but you didn't starve. I commend your parents.

I'd certainly prefer for my tax dollars to provide nutritious food to poor folks,

and am horrified that soda pop is an allowed purchase with FOOD stamps.

Would you be any more comfy if this family was buying an expensive cut of meat? The food choices of the poor are probably less than ideal...but so are most of yours. Why can't a family on food stamps have some comfort food? Mebbe we should just drop off baskets of government cheese and powdered eggs and be done with it?

lol

http://www.usmessageboard.com/health-and-lifestyle/107913-grocery-store.html#post2064425

I rest my case. Ain't no pleasing you people.

Y'all need to accept this uncomfy truth: what someone buys with food stamps is none of your fucking business. Just because someone is poor don't mean they have lost their right to privacy, or dignity.

I rest my case. Ain't no pleasing you people.

Y'all need to accept this uncomfy truth: what someone buys with food stamps is none of your fucking business. Just because someone is poor don't mean they have lost their right to privacy, or dignity.

You seem to have missed the point. I think on both sides of the issue taxpayers find it irksome that the people they provide for either spend the money on junk or are able to buy food that would be an every now and again splurge for those providing the assistance.

No, I got that part Sunshine. I just don't find it persuasive. The needs of some people to meddle don't "feel" more important to me than the needs of poor families to shop in privacy and dignity, without shame.

No, I got that part Sunshine. I just don't find it persuasive. The needs of some people to meddle don't "feel" more important to me than the needs of poor families to shop in privacy and dignity, without shame.

The grocery store is a public place. It is well established in law that if you are in a public place you can have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

There is a social expectation that we don't make a running commentary about the contents of one another's carts, Sunshine. This upsets you? Do up a proposal for change...which foodstuffs do you want off-limits to poor families? And how shall that be enforced?

There is a social expectation that we don't make a running commentary about the contents of one another's carts, Sunshine. This upsets you? Do up a proposal for change...which foodstuffs do you want off-limits to poor families? And how shall that be enforced?

No, there really isn't.

People have commented on my shopping cart. Many years ago, I used to make wedding cakes. There was a grocer who would discount my cake mixes. One day I had 30 or 40 cake mixes in my cart and someone looked at me and said, 'Looks like somebody is going to eat cake.' It was not of his business, but he did anyway and there is no law against it.

Last edited:
We have all seen it...each time frowning in quiet frustration.
I saw it again today.
I decided to make a tomato-cucumber salad to go with chicken breast I am going to grill, but I didn't have any red onions, or for that matter cucumbers either.
I am standing in the "fast lane" looking at what this women and daughter in front of me were buying.
A quick inventory and I summed up the following:

4 -12 packs of soda pop.
2 - packages of bologna.
1 giant bag of cheese-ball puffs.
1 giant bag of cheese popcorn.
1 loaf of bread.
2 - 1 litre cold coke bottles (guess they can't wait till they get home..need it now)

Annnnd...3 packs of cigarettes.

She mentioned to the clerk to ring up the cigarettes separately. The clerk didn't blink an eye.
Then I understood why - she paid for the junk food and pop with a food stamp card, and the f*cking cigarettes with cash.

Yet another example of wasted taxpayer money.
Man that pisses me off.
Anyone that is a busybody to this extent...to actually spy on people in line at the grocery store...is a HUGE FUCKTARD.

Negged.

40 boxes of cake mix is weird, Sunshine, and the comment was "would you like a discount?" from the store manager. T'aint the same as needing to feel superior to someone...anyone...and choosing the stressed out single mom in line in front of you, then humiliating her because "you" paid for her family's food.

I can't say it often enough in this thread....you cause a poor person shame and suffering in this way, you should Just Fuck Off.

40 boxes of cake mix is weird, Sunshine, and the comment was "would you like a discount?" from the store manager. T'aint the same as needing to feel superior to someone...anyone...and choosing the stressed out single mom in line in front of you, then humiliating her because "you" paid for her family's food.

I can't say it often enough in this thread....you cause a poor person shame and suffering in this way, you should Just Fuck Off.

I don't recall iam saying anything about commenting on her purchases. If he did, then please post it.

I think taxpayers have every right to be concerned that their tax dollars are being spent in a wasteful manner.

I think that you are overly defensive and dramatizing the whole thing. Perhaps you are still getting public assistance. Looking at the times you post, one wonders how you hold gainful employment.

Last edited:
Yup. The person I mentioned earlier was fresh out of grad school and had only been at her job less than a year. She did not have a chance to build up a financial cushion. She got laid off (her company actually ended up going belly up). She resisted taking EBT for exactly this reason...folks might judge her. And, she had a LV handbag and a rocking diamond tennis bracelet (from her parents for finishing grad school).

I told her that if she didn't take the assistance, I would be pissed at her. Fuck 'em if they dared judge her...she and others know what she is. She is EXACTLY the type I don't mind getting asisstance.

She was only on it for a month, too.

This sort of shit makes me laugh at the profound level of close-mindedness of so many - laugh in a pathetic manner.

Last edited:
Yup. The person I mentioned earlier was fresh out of grad school and had only been at her job less than a year. She did not have a chance to build up a financial cushion. She got laid off (her company actually ended up going belly up). She resisted taking EBT for exactly this reason...folks might judge her. And, she had a LV handbag and a rocking diamond tennis bracelet (from her parents for finishing grad school).

I told her that if she didn't take the assistance, I would be pissed at her. Fuck 'em if they dared judge her...she and others know what she is. She is EXACTLY the type I don't mind getting asisstance.

This sort of shit makes me laugh at the profound level of close-mindedness of so many.

Hi Si! Seems like old home week, doesn't it?

That is not the generational welfare scenario.

I don't recall iam saying anything about commenting on her purchases. If he did, then please post it.

I think taxpayers have every right to be concerned that their tax dollars are being spent in a wasteful manner.

I think that you are overly sensitive and dramatizing the whole thing. Perhaps you are still getting public assistance.

No I ain't, you twitterpatted snit. That was 30 years ago....and only for a few months. I was ill and pregnant and alone, and my then-husband deserted me. Yet thankies to people like you, I still feel the shame all these years later.

There are ways to help, and then there are just ways to be an asshole.

I think that you are overly sensitive and dramatizing the whole thing. Perhaps you are still getting public assistance.

No I ain't, you twitterpatted snit. That was 30 years ago....and only for a few months. I was ill and pregnant and alone, and my then-husband deserted me. Yet thankies to people like you, I still feel the shame all these years later.

There are ways to help, and then there are just ways to be an asshole.

So giving poor people money to buy junk food is helping them? :lol:

This sort of shit makes me laugh at the profound level of close-mindedness of so many.

Hi Si! Seems like old home week, doesn't it?

That is not the generational welfare scenario.
(Hi sweetie! Yes, it does. Classic reactionary shit from the OP.)

No, it's not the generational welfare situation. And I agree that is not a good thing.

My point is, how on Earth would the OP know if this woman is entrenched in entitlements or in a similar situation as the example I provided?

He doesn't.

Yet, he judges. Some must need something to make them feel better about themselves. I don't need to create drama. The woman I desribed doesn't either; she had REAL drama to worry about.

Forum List

Back