A Simple Question About Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

He would have been proud of Pres. Obama. He probably would call Trump a disgrace like every other civil rights leader does.

Another lie.

Members of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King’s extended family came out in support of President Trump this week, on the national day of recognition for the civil rights leader.

Isaac Newton Farris Jr. and Alveda King, Dr. King’s nephew and niece, respectively, asserted in interviews that Trump is not a racist.

Who are Those MLK Family Members Expressing Support for Trump? | Afro

“I’m not saying he does not say racist stuff, but I’m trying to tell you, that it’s possible to say something racist and not be racist yourself or intending to be racist,” Farris told the newspaper.

None of us really know what MLK would have said about Trump- not even his Republican niece and nephew.

MLK's children are no fans of Trump

In Washington, King’s eldest son, Martin Luther King III, criticized Trump, saying, “When a president insists that our nation needs more citizens from white states like Norway, I don’t even think we need to spend any time even talking about what it says and what it is.”

He added, “We got to find a way to work on this man’s heart.”

In Atlanta, King’s daughter, the Rev. Bernice King, told hundreds of people who packed the pews of the Ebenezer Baptist Church that they “cannot allow the nations of the world to embrace the words that come from our president as a reflection of the true spirit of America.”

“We are one people, one nation, one blood, one destiny. ... All of civilization and humanity originated from the soils of Africa,” Bernice King said. “Our collective voice in this hour must always be louder than the one who sometimes does not reflect the legacy of my father.”

Meanwhile...

Black and Hispanic unemployment is at a record low

Isn't that great! The booming economy that started under President Obama has continued under President Trump, and the decline in unemployment rate with African Americans that started under President Obama continues under President Trump.

Hopefully Trump won't screw it up.

Those jobs under BHO didn't come with wage growth. What happened?

imrs.php

How about the decline of people on food stamps? BHO = Food Stamp POTUS.

imrs.php

Consumer Confidence?

imrs.php

Another lie.

Members of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King’s extended family came out in support of President Trump this week, on the national day of recognition for the civil rights leader.

Isaac Newton Farris Jr. and Alveda King, Dr. King’s nephew and niece, respectively, asserted in interviews that Trump is not a racist.

Who are Those MLK Family Members Expressing Support for Trump? | Afro

“I’m not saying he does not say racist stuff, but I’m trying to tell you, that it’s possible to say something racist and not be racist yourself or intending to be racist,” Farris told the newspaper.

None of us really know what MLK would have said about Trump- not even his Republican niece and nephew.

In Washington, King’s eldest son, Martin Luther King III, criticized Trump, saying, “When a president insists that our nation needs more citizens from white states like Norway, I don’t even think we need to spend any time even talking about what it says and what it is.”

In Atlanta, King’s daughter, the Rev. Bernice King, told hundreds of people who packed the pews of the Ebenezer Baptist Church that they “cannot allow the nations of the world to embrace the words that come from our president as a reflection of the true spirit of America.”

“We are one people, one nation, one blood, one destiny. ... All of civilization and humanity originated from the soils of Africa,” Bernice King said. “Our collective voice in this hour must always be louder than the one who sometimes does not reflect the legacy of my father.”

Meanwhile...

Isn't that great! The booming economy that started under President Obama has continued under President Trump, and the decline in unemployment rate with African Americans that started under President Obama continues under President Trump.

imrs.php

imrs.php

Consumer Confidence?

imrs.php

Great
thanks for all of those charts showing the economic recovery trends that started under President Obama and that have continued under President Trump.

I wonder what MLK would think about a President who reduced Black Unemployment to the lowest level in recorded history?
According to today's Dems, he would be thanking Obama

I think MLK Jr. would be amazed that America elected an African American President.

I don't think that he would have been at all surprised that some Republicans like Trump embraced the racist Birther theories in order to discredit the first African American President.

I wonder what MLK would think about a President who reduced Black Unemployment to the lowest level in recorded history?

I think MLK Jr. would be amazed that America elected an African American President.

I don't think that he would have been at all surprised that some Republicans like Trump embraced the racist Birther theories in order to discredit the first African American President.

Obama's own, hand-picked Literary Agents were the first to come up with the idea that B. Hussein O was born in Kenya.

Not the "Republicans" or Donald J. Trump, who just followed up on the information others turned up.

BTW, the literary agents turned out to be liars, who just came up with the story about Obama to give me credibility and to sell books.

7 Big Lies Conservatives Want You To Believe About Martin Luther King, Jr.

I got one question to ask on the day we celebrate the life and lessons of Dr. Martin Luther King - (or as the Democrats call him, Martin Luther Coon) -- and that question is -- what prominent conservatives were marching along side of King down in places like Selma, Birmingham, Jackson?? Notice, I didn't ask what prominent "republicans" were marching along side of King, I asked what prominent "conservatives" were marching along side of him....and whenever you break it down along ideological lines instead of party lines -- the closet racists of today get triggered.....

"When you look at American history from a straight progressive versus conservative viewpoint, there have not been too many universally agreed upon conservative victories. Primarily because conservatives are conservatives and want things to stay the same. And things have changed. When women wanted the vote, obviously, the people not wanting that to change would have been considered conservative. Those who wanted to keep Jim Crow would have been conservatives. Many of those who would have been considered heroes to the conservatives at the time would seem super backwards to almost anyone today. No one is going around wearing a Joseph McCarthy t-shirt, and cool kids on campus are not sitting around reading “The Bell Curve.”

Since this question is so hard for today's conservatives to answer -- they resort to just flat out making shit up -- and hoping if they just keep repeating the lie enough, it will be truth -- pay no attention to what MLK said himself, they tell you...Popular lies like "King was a Republican, believe me...his niece even said it...and we pay her a lot of money to keep telling us that!!"....Here is what King said about the 1964 Republican convention...."The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” [Barry Goldwater] at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade."

History and facts are a troublesome thing for those who seek to try to invent their own...and when those people really get triggered -- they finally let it slip out that "King cheated on his wives, he is a rapist!!" -- "King was paid to say those radical things by the Commies!!" -- funny, weren't you just claiming he was a conservative Republican??

Let's also remember what your former God, St. Reagan (replaced by your new God, Trump) said immediately after the assassination of MLK....he basically said he was a radical lawbreaker and he had it coming....Even when he had to change positions and sign MLK day as a federal holiday -- he wrote an apology letter to a member of the racist John Birch society (Meldrim Thomson, Jr) to explain to him that he was only using the MLK day as political pretext to silence the mounting criticism of his positions on civil rights.

So....I'll simply ask....can you name me the prominent republican conservatives who were along side of King, putting his or her life on the line for civil rights? People who died for what they believed in, people like Viola Luizzo, Andrew Goodman, William Lewis Moore, Jonathan Daniels -- by the way, all of those people I just named were white.....the ones who were attacked as being "liberal trouble makers" and "N-word lovers" -- they damn sure were not murdered for being "prominent conservatives"

#Sinatra100: Frank sinatra, Civil Rights champion

The legendary singer Frank Sinatra, initially a democrat, turned republican in the 60s and became a staunch supporter of Ronald Reagan. 20 Famous Republican Musicians

Meanwhile...

imrs.php

imrs.php

Consumer Confidence?

imrs.php

Great
thanks for all of those charts showing the economic recovery trends that started under President Obama and that have continued under President Trump.

Of course. Bush was an idiot. Any lemming would look good next to him and 08.

I got one question to ask on the day we celebrate the life and lessons of Dr. Martin Luther King - (or as the Democrats call him, Martin Luther Coon) -- and that question is -- what prominent conservatives were marching along side of King down in places like Selma, Birmingham, Jackson?? Notice, I didn't ask what prominent "republicans" were marching along side of King, I asked what prominent "conservatives" were marching along side of him....and whenever you break it down along ideological lines instead of party lines -- the closet racists of today get triggered.....

"When you look at American history from a straight progressive versus conservative viewpoint, there have not been too many universally agreed upon conservative victories. Primarily because conservatives are conservatives and want things to stay the same. And things have changed. When women wanted the vote, obviously, the people not wanting that to change would have been considered conservative. Those who wanted to keep Jim Crow would have been conservatives. Many of those who would have been considered heroes to the conservatives at the time would seem super backwards to almost anyone today. No one is going around wearing a Joseph McCarthy t-shirt, and cool kids on campus are not sitting around reading “The Bell Curve.”

Since this question is so hard for today's conservatives to answer -- they resort to just flat out making shit up -- and hoping if they just keep repeating the lie enough, it will be truth -- pay no attention to what MLK said himself, they tell you...Popular lies like "King was a Republican, believe me...his niece even said it...and we pay her a lot of money to keep telling us that!!"....Here is what King said about the 1964 Republican convention...."The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” [Barry Goldwater] at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade."

History and facts are a troublesome thing for those who seek to try to invent their own...and when those people really get triggered -- they finally let it slip out that "King cheated on his wives, he is a rapist!!" -- "King was paid to say those radical things by the Commies!!" -- funny, weren't you just claiming he was a conservative Republican??

Let's also remember what your former God, St. Reagan (replaced by your new God, Trump) said immediately after the assassination of MLK....he basically said he was a radical lawbreaker and he had it coming....Even when he had to change positions and sign MLK day as a federal holiday -- he wrote an apology letter to a member of the racist John Birch society (Meldrim Thomson, Jr) to explain to him that he was only using the MLK day as political pretext to silence the mounting criticism of his positions on civil rights.

So....I'll simply ask....can you name me the prominent republican conservatives who were along side of King, putting his or her life on the line for civil rights? People who died for what they believed in, people like Viola Luizzo, Andrew Goodman, William Lewis Moore, Jonathan Daniels -- by the way, all of those people I just named were white.....the ones who were attacked as being "liberal trouble makers" and "N-word lovers" -- they damn sure were not murdered for being "prominent conservatives"

The legendary singer Frank Sinatra, initially a democrat, turned republican in the 60s and became a staunch supporter of Ronald Reagan. 20 Famous Republican Musicians

Fun stuff about Frank Sinatra.

But there is no evidence that MLK Jr. was ever a Republican- and was not a big fan of either party.
No, Martin Luther King Jr. was not a Republican — but here’s what he had to say about them
n a 1958 interview, King said “I don’t think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses … And I’m not inextricably bound to either party.”

King did, however, weigh in on the Republican party during his lifetime. In Chapter 23 of his autobiography, King writes this about the 1964 Republican National Convention:

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

Senator Goldwater had neither the concern nor the comprehension necessary to grapple with this problem of poverty in the fashion that the historical moment dictated. On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.

In 2008, King’s son Martin Luther King III said “It is disingenuous to imply that my father was a Republican. He never endorsed any presidential candidate, and there is certainly no evidence that he ever even voted for a Republican.

Obama's own, hand-picked Literary Agents were the first to come up with the idea that B. Hussein O was born in Kenya.

Not the "Republicans" or Donald J. Trump, who just followed up on the information others turned up.

BTW, the literary agents turned out to be liars, who just came up with the story about Obama to give me credibility and to sell books.

Sorry- you have the timeline a little off there.

Birthers didn't know about that pamphlet until 2012- when Breitbart found it- 4 years after Birtherism started in 2008- and a year after Trump elected himself the King of Birthers.

1. "Why doesn't he show his birth certificate? There's something on that birth certificate that he doesn't like."
- March 23, 2011, on "The View"
2. "He's spent millions of dollars trying to get away from this issue. Millions of dollars in legal fees trying to get away from this issue. And I'll tell you what, I brought it up, just routinely, and all of a sudden a lot facts are emerging and I'm starting to wonder myself whether or not he was born in this country."
- March 28, 2011, on Fox News
3. "He doesn't have a birth certificate, or if he does, there's something on that certificate that is very bad for him. Now, somebody told me -- and I have no idea if this is bad for him or not, but perhaps it would be -- that where it says 'religion,' it might have 'Muslim.' And if you're a Muslim, you don't change your religion, by the way."
- March 30, 2011, on The Laura Ingraham Show
4. "I have people that have been studying [Obama's birth certificate] and they cannot believe what they're finding ... I would like to have him show his birth certificate, and can I be honest with you, I hope he can. Because if he can't, if he can't, if he wasn't born in this country, which is a real possibility ... then he has pulled one of the great cons in the history of politics."
- April 7, 2011, on NBC's "Today" show
5. "His grandmother in Kenya said, 'Oh, no, he was born in Kenya and I was there and I witnessed the birth.' She's on tape. I think that tape's going to be produced fairly soon. Somebody is coming out with a book in two weeks, it will be very interesting."
- April 7, 2011, on MSNBC's "Morning Joe"

And the literary agent admitted a mistake. Hardly one that sold books- since Obama in his own biography talked about being born in Hawaii.

No- your Dear Leader promoted the racist Birther lies for 4 years- until it was no longer politically expedient to do so- after he got the GOP nomination and was trying to move more into the mainstream.

I'll leave to more serious history buffs to find any conservatives who might have been there.

But I will point out, that conservatives of the GOP, had been at the forefront of equal rights for blacks before, during and after MLK.

They might not have been marching in the streets, prompting confrontations to get PR, but they were in the Congress passing laws and in the White House enforcing those laws.

He was a communist, why would we support him?

It also looks like the critics that were against desegregation were correct about the negro people, as proven by the violence perpetrated by negroes today.

Fun stuff about Frank Sinatra.

But there is no evidence that MLK Jr. was ever a Republican- and was not a big fan of either party.
No, Martin Luther King Jr. was not a Republican — but here’s what he had to say about them
n a 1958 interview, King said “I don’t think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses … And I’m not inextricably bound to either party.”

King did, however, weigh in on the Republican party during his lifetime. In Chapter 23 of his autobiography, King writes this about the 1964 Republican National Convention:

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

Senator Goldwater had neither the concern nor the comprehension necessary to grapple with this problem of poverty in the fashion that the historical moment dictated. On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.

In 2008, King’s son Martin Luther King III said “It is disingenuous to imply that my father was a Republican. He never endorsed any presidential candidate, and there is certainly no evidence that he ever even voted for a Republican.
Everyone from that era knew that the Democrat party ruled the old south. Now why would a Black man in those days wanted to support the Democrat party? They were the ones that wanted to enslave the world. But at the time, the have to settled for the Blacks.

The Solid South or Southern bloc was the electoral voting bloc of the states of the Southern United States for issues that were regarded as particularly important to the interests of Democrats in those states. The Southern bloc existed especially between the end of Reconstruction in 1877 and the passage of the Civil Rights Act in 1964. During this period, the Democratic Party controlled state legislatures; most local and state officeholders in the South were Democrats, as were federal politicians elected from these states. Southern Democrats disenfranchised blacks in every state of the former Confederacy at the turn of the 20th century. This resulted essentially in a one-party system, in which a candidate's victory in Democratic primary elections was tantamount to election to the office itself. White primaries were another means that the Democrats used to consolidate their political power, excluding blacks from voting in primaries.[1] Solid South - Wikipedia

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Democrats-keep-blaming-Republicans-for-The-New-Jim-Crow-laws

George-Wallace.jpg

George Wallace was a Democrat; so was Bull Connor

Frank Sinatra was a democrat when he and JFK were banging Marilyn Monroe at the same time.

You know he was half white don't you? And raised by white grandparents

Well, I suspect he would look at this chart and be insulted by your question.

27bfyE1.gif

Err, that "insult",could you spell it out for those of us that don't quite see it?
No reason to.

What is insulting about wanting to give Trump credit for the record breaking improvements in black unemployment rates, that occurred since he took over?

Cause I'm really not seeing any insult.

Well, I suspect he would look at this chart and be insulted by your question.

27bfyE1.gif

Err, that "insult",could you spell it out for those of us that don't quite see it?
No reason to.

What is insulting about wanting to give Trump credit for the record breaking improvements in black unemployment rates, that occurred since he took over?

Cause I'm really not seeing any insult.
The insult is that a black person would look at that chart and give Trump credit for it, when the trajectory of the unemployment rate that Trump inherited was CLEARLY headed down. Most people are smart enough to see that, and it's an insult that a person would not.

My goodness, this place blows my freakin' mind. It really does.

Frank Sinatra was a democrat when he and JFK were banging Marilyn Monroe at the same time.

He became a Republican in the 60s to help fight for Blacks civil rights, after the Dems killed JFK.

I'll leave to more serious history buffs to find any conservatives who might have been there.

But I will point out, that conservatives of the GOP, had been at the forefront of equal rights for blacks before, during and after MLK.

They might not have been marching in the streets, prompting confrontations to get PR, but they were in the Congress passing laws and in the White House enforcing those laws.

Some members of the GOP certainly were fighting for equal rights for African Americans before MLK, but during the Civil Rights era and certainly after the Civil Rights Act passed- the GOP moved away from that position.

FDR started the first substantive movements for rights for African Americans- and for poor Americans- which is why much of the African American vote started shifting from GOP to Democrat during the '30's.
Then Truman abolished segregation in the military.
Eisenhower actually desegregated the military.
Kennedy proposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
Johnson was able to push the 1964 Civil Rights Act into passing- despite the opposition of every Southern senator from both parties. Johnson could not have passed the bill without active support from the Republican minority.

Then came the next election. When Republicans nominated Barry Goldwater for President. Goldwater was one of the only non-Southern Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Which is why MLK denounced the GOP Presidential conference.

As you said- I will leave it to the serious history buffs to decide which one of those Republicans were 'conservative' since that title seems to be a title of convenience changed by almost anyone who finds a need to.

Forum List

Back