As gun rights rally looms in Virginia, Richmond residents fear another Charlottesville

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NewsVine_Mariyam, Jan 20, 2020.

1. NewsVine_Mariyam

NewsVine_Mariyam Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    I guess we'll find out after the fact if there actually was a threat but I thought I read somewhere that they hold this gun rally every year, presumably without incident?

Many say they'll be staying as far away as possible from the demonstration they worry will turn violent.

[​IMG]

Richmond on edge ahead of pro-gun rally at Virginia Capitol
    Jan. 19, 202001:40
    Jan. 19, 2020, 6:07 AM PST
    By Ben Kesslen

RICHMOND, Va. — As gun rights activists, white nationalists and militia groups prepare to rally at the state Capitol on Monday to protest proposed gun control laws, residents are praying it won’t be a repeat of the violent 2017 rally in Charlottesville that ended in a woman's death.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, which organizes the annual gun rights rally, said it wants a "peaceful event," but the crowd is expected to be larger than usual because Democrats took control of the Legislature last year and are proposing several gun control bills that would limit handgun purchases and require background checks, among other regulations.

The proposals come after a mass shooting in May in Virginia Beach, in which a disgruntled city employee killed 12 people in a municipal building.

“I’m very worried,” Francisca Benavides, a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, said.

Benavides, who's studying photography at the 31,000-student public research university, wanted to attend the rally to document it but is having second thoughts after Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency last week in anticipation of the event. He said "credible intelligence" indicated the rally would draw armed militias and hate groups.

“All my friends are trying to convince me not to attend,” Benavides said, adding she was reassured when Northam temporarily banned guns and other weapons from the grounds of the Capitol, and the state Supreme Court struck down the rally organizers' challenge to the order.

As gun rights rally looms in Virginia, Richmond residents fear another Charlottesville

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. bluzman61

bluzman61 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,429
    I believe cool heads will prevail and there will be NO violence from the Right. From the Left, that's another thing altogether. The Antifa bastards MAY be there to stir up trouble against those on the Right. I believe they won't even show because they know they will be severely outnumbered and they are too cowardly to fight unless THEY have the numbers. So I truly believe there will be little to no violence. Which would be very appropriate on the day that we honor the great MLK. Let's hope for a peaceful day.

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. NewsVine_Mariyam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Agreed, thank you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bluzman61

bluzman61 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,429
    You're welcome.

5. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,188
    The government is causing problems. Then they will blame someone else.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,803
    If anything happens, the fault will be on the Virginia government officials for using the issue in a divisive political way. The governor or any other involved should be jailed immediately if anything goes wrong, because if he or any other official baited the whole thing then he or any other involved should pay the consequences for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Johnlaw

Johnlaw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,915
    Wrong, if violence occurs it will be the fault of the militias and other right-wing extremists who would be resorting to terrorist tactics to overturn duly enacted laws.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. NewsVine_Mariyam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    I'm just trying to figure out what occurred recently that made them feel that this was an unsafe situation when it's been an annual event for close to 3 decades according to what I read.

Gun rallies/protest tend to be peaceful from what I've experienced over the last few decades. What makes them volatile is not the presence of the firearms, it's the appearance of those individuals such as the ones in Charlottesville who are spoiling for a fight or those instigating and goading people in order to give the event and it's underlying message a black eye, then they can crack down with even more restrictive gun laws.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  9. MisterBeale

MisterBeale Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,598
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. there4eyeM

there4eyeM unlicensed metaphysician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,820
    A well regulated militia would cause no problems. An unregulated militia is a clear and present danger that would justify immediate suppression.
    We shall see...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1