A revolt is growing as more people refuse to pay back student loans

I think it is pretty self-explanatory. You're just another kid here whining about free this and free that. It has been explained to you again and again and again that it is completely possible to get a higher education in this country if you want one. Some have to work at it harder than others, such is life.

As my Dad used to say.. "the world doesn't owe you a living".
Actually the exact opposite has been proven. 9% of those in bottom quintile get a bachelors, while 99% in the highest do so. You simply cannot attribute THAT disparity to the poor being lazy, especially because in 1970 the figures were 6% to something line 50% or a little less.

But at the same time, there's no support to the notion of just spending more will make it better .... or really a lot better.

I said nothing about the poor being lazy... nothing at all.. so don't pull out that tired drek. All I said was that it is possible to get an education... there are many ways of doing it. Maybe part-time, foregoing the whole on campus thing.

It can be done. Chrissy's point is that the only answer is federally funded for all, which of course is not the way to go. All you'll end up with is a bunch of career students... shit, you want to be a career student, then you pay for it.

No there is not. People like you are against raising minimum wage and against helping people in any meaningful way. Then you will bitch that your tax money goes to support people who cannot provide a living for themselves. Something has to give.

Yeah? Tell us... what have you done lately to help anyone? Coming here and demanding free shit for all doesn't count by the way. That's the gutless choice.

no matter what it is.... it's way more than you've ever done for anyone else.

Wow... you sure know a lot about me... what did I eat for lunch today Jilly? Did I shit this morning or later today at the office, or, both?

Unless a poster informs the board members of details on their identity, each of us anonymous.
So spare us your faux outrage.

So tell me . . . since you people want to use "how it was when you went to college," what decade were you attending college? I notice you are ALL hesitant to provide that data.

It's irrelevant. It can be done, people do it all the time. Two people I work with just completed an MBA and another their bachelors... last year. All I hear from you is "can't, can't, can't, can't".

how long did it take them?

The bachelors? Hard to say, they had some credits under their belt... the MBA? A few of years. Shit, it took me 6 to get a bachelors.. going part-time while working full-time.

In what decade was this?

Uhm, as I stated earlier...they got them last year... you do the math.

Sorry, but so far, all I've read is a bunch of whining and crying. What better way to invest in our kids' futures than to invest in a college education or other job training opportunities? I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would be opposed to such a fantastic idea.

There's a lot you obviously cannot understand... you wasted a lot of money on college, if you indeed did pay a cent toward your education.

You should have gone to work at the U.S. Postal Service... that would have been right up your alley.

Oh really? Why don't you explain your comment please. Or is this just you using insults again because you have NO good argument? :D

I think it is pretty self-explanatory. You're just another kid here whining about free this and free that. It has been explained to you again and again and again that it is completely possible to get a higher education in this country if you want one. Some have to work at it harder than others, such is life.

Actually the exact opposite has been proven. 9% of those in bottom quintile get a bachelors, while 99% in the highest do so. You simply cannot attribute THAT disparity to the poor being lazy, especially because in 1970 the figures were 6% to something line 50% or a little less.

But at the same time, there's no support to the notion of just spending more will make it better .... or really a lot better.

I said nothing about the poor being lazy... nothing at all.. so don't pull out that tired drek. All I said was that it is possible to get an education... there are many ways of doing it. Maybe part-time, foregoing the whole on campus thing.

It can be done. Chrissy's point is that the only answer is federally funded for all, which of course is not the way to go. All you'll end up with is a bunch of career students... shit, you want to be a career student, then you pay for it.
But the facts don't support your belief. Not with only 9% of the lowest quintile ever finished a bachelors.

this oft repeated BS about government being the reason for the high cost of college may be one of the more ignorant things made up by rightwingers.

Whether it is, or whether it isn't, false may not be that material. Kaz and I actually agree that it's not a good thing for kids to be borrowing so much money, unless they're in medical school or something, and even then it's certainly not optimal, because one reason docs here make so much more than in say .... France, is that they have to pay off the loans.

I'd also agree with Kaz that students should not be allowed to borrow above a certain amount, and that any loans in a given year require the student to show he/she completed x number of hours with x gpa.

That's better than what Chris and Jillian want, but don't you grasp the housing bubble we just went through where cheap, unaccountable limitless government money brought down the housing sector? It was exactly the same thing. When you borrow money in the free market, they want to know if you can pay it back. When you borrow government money, you borrow on arbitrary rules that government creates and hav nothing to do with your inability to pay it back.

Your solution is way, way lower than that accountability. And when students borrow and pump it into the schools, that removes the school's incentive to teach students who can pay back loans, they teach students to borrow and spend as much government money as you can.

You get what you incent, and you are incenting what we have now, a broke system, broke in more ways that one.

Again, do you understand the housing meltdown and grasp government is already doing the exact same thing here?

You continue under the misapprehension that I believe student loans are a good thing. What I do believe is that college should be accessible and affordable, but that students should have some "stake" in getting there, and getting out. Generally, I'd say a kid shouldn't carry more than 20K in debt.

I totally agree... a loan I a loan. And a loan for "training" or "education" is no different. If you get trained in something that is not I demand, don't cry when you can't find a job in your field. Should have thought that through.

At t he same time, they shouldn't be continually lent more money.

The attitude that government should invest in us rather than our investing in ourselves is a big chunk of why we can't get out of this economic funk

the times of greatest economic growth in this country wee when government invested in us.

you can't tell someone to invest something they don't have.

we are the only civilized country that doesn't make sure that every able kid can obtain a decent education.

we understand that education isn't important to the right.... but it should be.

or do you think we're not as good as the countries that manage to educate their kids AND take care of their people's health needs?

There's a lot you obviously cannot understand... you wasted a lot of money on college, if you indeed did pay a cent toward your education.

You should have gone to work at the U.S. Postal Service... that would have been right up your alley.

Oh really? Why don't you explain your comment please. Or is this just you using insults again because you have NO good argument? :D

But the facts don't support your belief. Not with only 9% of the lowest quintile ever finished a bachelors.

Perhaps... but it doesn't always point to a money issue. There are all kinds of issues, family issues, social issues, lack of money, for sure, lack of adequate parenting, etc.

Looka... I have no problem with funding higher ed for those who truly cannot afford it and have demonstrated that they will excel. Fine.. I just reject this notion that every problem is solved by throwing money at it. A lot of the problems we face were caused by that very approach.

So tell me . . . since you people want to use "how it was when you went to college," what decade were you attending college? I notice you are ALL hesitant to provide that data.

It's irrelevant. It can be done, people do it all the time. Two people I work with just completed an MBA and another their bachelors... last year. All I hear from you is "can't, can't, can't, can't".

how long did it take them?

The bachelors? Hard to say, they had some credits under their belt... the MBA? A few of years. Shit, it took me 6 to get a bachelors.. going part-time while working full-time.

In what decade was this?

Uhm, as I stated earlier...they got them last year... you do the math.

No, I mean for yourself. In what decade did YOU attend college. Also, your anecdotes mean nothing and they prove nothing.

Perhaps... but it doesn't always point to a money issue. There are all kinds of issues, family issues, social issues, lack of money, for sure, lack of adequate parenting, etc.

Looka... I have no problem with funding higher ed for those who truly cannot afford it and have demonstrated that they will excel. Fine.. I just reject this notion that every problem is solved by throwing money at it. A lot of the problems we face were caused by that very approach.

Well, nobody said that EVERY problem is solved by throwing money at it. Where do you get that idea?

No there is not. People like you are against raising minimum wage and against helping people in any meaningful way. Then you will bitch that your tax money goes to support people who cannot provide a living for themselves. Something has to give.

Yeah? Tell us... what have you done lately to help anyone? Coming here and demanding free shit for all doesn't count by the way. That's the gutless choice.

Wow... you sure know a lot about me... what did I eat for lunch today Jilly? Did I shit this morning or later today at the office, or, both?

Awww, did she hurt your little feelings? You have been awfully free with throwing insults and making assumptions about others here as well. Stifle yourself.

Notice, this SOGGY person has refused to say when he or she went to college. That is most likely because it will show that he or she is most certainly out of touch with the costs associated with obtaining a college degree, the lack of jobs, our minimum wage that has not kept up with cost of living indices, etc.

Actor-Jim-Carrey-as-Ebene-008.jpg

Taxpayers should only be on the hook for students of social justice, sustainable energy, and climate change programs.

The important stuff. Lol

Well, nobody said that EVERY problem is solved by throwing money at it. Where do you get that idea?

Nobody ever says that explicitely...but their every solution involves spending more money.

Notice, this SOGGY person has refused to say when he or she went to college. That is most likely because it will show that he or she is most certainly out of touch with the costs associated with obtaining a college degree, the lack of jobs, our minimum wage that has not kept up with cost of living indices, etc.

When/where I went to college is none of your fucking business... but I will tell you this, it was in the nineties... which btw, isn't 40 years ago as you claim.

Awww, did she hurt your little feelings? You have been awfully free with throwing insults and making assumptions about others here as well. Stifle yourself.

:lol: Like I said... if you didn't carry on like such a child, I'd probably be more civil. As for Jillian, she's a known liar and faux lawyer.

He's bitter. If we were him, we probably would be too.

:lol: Like I said... if you didn't carry on like such a child, I'd probably be more civil. As for Jillian, she's a known liar and faux lawyer.

Sorry, soggy pants, it's you who is the childish one. None of your posts have been backed by any corroborating data. Basically, you just cry like a child. :D

When/where I went to college is none of your fucking business... but I will tell you this, it was in the nineties... which btw, isn't 40 years ago as you claim.

Yeah riiiiight! Lol. You aren't in your 30s. How old are you? Like 60 at least, would be my guess.

Nobody ever says that explicitely...but their every solution involves spending more money.

That's "explicitly." Perhaps you could take advantage of a free college course on 3rd grade spelling? ;)

Forum List

Back