A revolt is growing as more people refuse to pay back student loans

Except college costs have risen 360% since 1980.

avg_tuitionfees_byinstitutiontype.png

And guess what workers wages done in that time:

Worker-Productivity-Annual-Wage-Compensation.png

That's right, they have stagnated.

This is an economic crisis for the US. If people are paying $300-700/month to the federal government, that money isn't going to a mortgage, a car payment, or to any other economically stimulating activity.

And if people want to save that money, guess what? That 401K isn't going to be worth anything if the companies are not making any money thus have poor stock performance. Those companies would move operations to countries who have disposable incomes. That means work dries up here in the US, thus perpetuating the problem. Businesses don't care that people are "being responsible" by paying back the federal government, they want to make money. They go where the money is.

We need to properly fund higher education in this country. Its what is best for the future.
That is a great argument that what you propose doesn't work. Endless low interest government money is a bad idea. You want the cost of school to go down, eliminate government subsidized loans. Then students will pick schools based on the value they get and make better choices. Schools aren't accountable for creating economic value and the cost is skyrocketing. You want to double down on that over and over by flooding in even more government money to unaccountable administratoins.

Throw money at a problem and hope some of it helps. What a great plan. As a management consultant, I never tried suggesting that strategy to CEOs. I'll try that next time, thanks for the tip. Hey, I know it's a problem bro, throw money at it, maybe that will help. You know, like liberals do in government. Yeah, I'd be on the street by tonight. You people do know how to waste money, and wasting your own isn't enough for you

AS you've been told, those getting grants and student loans HAVE TO MAINTAIN A CERTAIN GRADE POINT AVERAGE. Derp.

Oh, now I get it. So if you get a B in underwater basket weaving, you will be able to get a good job. Got it.

You don't listen very well, do you? I'm talking about kids who have GREAT potential but cannot attend college because of monetary reasons.

There's always a "way" if you really ant it.

Not in today's day and age. You are wrong.

And a LOT of those are minimum wage paying jobs. And what of the kids who are smart enough and motivated enough to be doctor? They don't have any option except to accept going to a trade school?

And everyone doesn't have the drive or brains to be a doctor, you want to leave them with no option but medical school or the street?

No kidding. Trade schools are STILL an option for those who wish to do a trade. Your arguments are SO stupid.

That's what he said, try to keep up.

And personal responsibility, wow, what an idiot I am...

And my point is, that some students would like to do something more. The only thing stopping them, is costs.
That is what Stafford loans are for.

Let me fill you ion on something. Here in NY, the state decided to offer those that apply and qualify, an education for free in medical coding. It was not only for free....but they were paid a salary (or allowed to stay on unemployment during the term of the course, even though they were not actively seeking a job)...all they had to do was register for the course and attend the classes.

To qualify, you had to meet certain basic requirements....a HS diploma (or GED) and unemployed.

I supported the program as I was one that helped locate medical coding opportunities for those that graduated.

The problem?

Every class was booked...a good thing....by the last class and practical exam, less that 25% were still attending.....more than 75% stopped showing up. Of those that graduated, less that 50% accepted interviews....and of those that accepted interviews......about 67% showed up on the interviews......a little less than 1/3 just did not show up on the interview.

Bet if they paid at least something for the course...be it 25%.......a heck of a lot more would have capitalized on the opportunity.

Post a link.

Another excerpt from the link . . .

The second effect is ruinous debt. The average college graduate with loans now leaves college $25,000 in debt. Student loan debt exceeds $1 trillion and is now greater than credit card debt. And the debts are inescapable. Bankruptcy doesn’t extinguish them; even Social Security payments can be garnished to repay them.

These debts weigh down not only the holder but the entire economy. Students now graduate with a burden that forecloses choices. More and more are forced to return home to live. Marriage becomes less imaginable;public-interest work is less affordable. As Pam Brown, an organizer with the Occupy Student Debt Campaign, put it, “The debt makes us very individual; we can’t afford to help someone else.”

And another one . . .

Free public colleges might slow the rise of private college costs, as they would have to compete with the free offerings of public schools. More students would attend school or advanced training. The United States would gain the benefits of a better educated citizenry and workforce. Young people, not burdened by debt, could be more entrepreneurial and more public spirited.

Washington is too paralyzed by the elite fixation on austerity and too polarized by partisan divides to consider investments to create a better job market — or anything this bold. The Occupy Student Debt Campaign has it right: Reforms will come only from outside the Beltway.

And everyone doesn't have the drive or brains to be a doctor, you want to leave them with no option but medical school or the street?

No kidding. Trade schools are STILL an option for those who wish to do a trade. Your arguments are SO stupid.

And my point is, that some students would like to do something more. The only thing stopping them, is costs.

Let me fill you ion on something. Here in NY, the state decided to offer those that apply and qualify, an education for free in medical coding. It was not only for free....but they were paid a salary (or allowed to stay on unemployment during the term of the course, even though they were not actively seeking a job)...all they had to do was register for the course and attend the classes.

To qualify, you had to meet certain basic requirements....a HS diploma (or GED) and unemployed.

I supported the program as I was one that helped locate medical coding opportunities for those that graduated.

The problem?

Every class was booked...a good thing....by the last class and practical exam, less that 25% were still attending.....more than 75% stopped showing up. Of those that graduated, less that 50% accepted interviews....and of those that accepted interviews......about 67% showed up on the interviews......a little less than 1/3 just did not show up on the interview.

Bet if they paid at least something for the course...be it 25%.......a heck of a lot more would have capitalized on the opportunity.

Post a link.
post a link?

This was MY personal experience I related to you. I was the one who had to keep the stats and submit it to the state. I believe they discontinued the program.

The fact that you doubt it is not my problem. I know it as fact. I offered it up to you for consideration.

The problem?

Post a link.
post a link?

This was MY personal experience I related to you. I was the one who had to keep the stats and submit it to the state. I believe they discontinued the program.

The fact that you doubt it is not my problem. I know it as fact. I offered it up to you for consideration.

Your personal experiences are irrelevant. If you can't post a link, your claims are pointless and might even be made up. I am posting the FACTS.

The Average Cost of U.S. Tuition Is 29 408 Per Year. In These 9 Countries It s Free - Mic

The average cost of attending in-state public college in the United States for the 2013-14 academic year: $22,826. The typical cost of private colleges: $44,750. The average cost of college tuition in the U.S. at a four-year institution: $29,408.

The cost of college in 9 other countries: priceless — literally.

While U.S. college students face tuition rates that far outpace inflation rates and more than $1.2 trillion in student debt, students in Germany, Finland, France, Sweden, Norway, Slovenia, Brazil, Luxembourg, and Iceland are receiving a quality education that's free.

College costs in the U.S. have risen by more than 1,122% since 1978, Mother Jones reports. That's a rate that far outpaces inflation, as well as the cost of other goods and services over the same period. To put this increase into perspective, the cost of medical care has jumped by 600%, while housing and food costs have gone up by less than 300%.

These massive spikes in college costs are leaving students — and their wallets — in the dust. Some students are opting out of higher education because they cannot afford it. Others are taking on an amount of debt that will be more than 65% of their salary their first year out of graduation. The average debt for a college graduate is $29,400.

And costs only keep going up. If the U.S. wants kids to keep going to college, it needs to figure out how to cut the debilitating debt that comes with a college education. These nine countries have solved the problem, and we should take note. If that doesn't happen, maybe American students should consider the following options.

That is a great argument that what you propose doesn't work. Endless low interest government money is a bad idea. You want the cost of school to go down, eliminate government subsidized loans. Then students will pick schools based on the value they get and make better choices. Schools aren't accountable for creating economic value and the cost is skyrocketing. You want to double down on that over and over by flooding in even more government money to unaccountable administratoins.

Throw money at a problem and hope some of it helps. What a great plan. As a management consultant, I never tried suggesting that strategy to CEOs. I'll try that next time, thanks for the tip. Hey, I know it's a problem bro, throw money at it, maybe that will help. You know, like liberals do in government. Yeah, I'd be on the street by tonight. You people do know how to waste money, and wasting your own isn't enough for you

AS you've been told, those getting grants and student loans HAVE TO MAINTAIN A CERTAIN GRADE POINT AVERAGE. Derp.

Oh, now I get it. So if you get a B in underwater basket weaving, you will be able to get a good job. Got it.

You don't listen very well, do you? I'm talking about kids who have GREAT potential but cannot attend college because of monetary reasons.

No, no I am not.... I know people doing so. Unfortunately, too many like you have the "Can't do" attitude which will not take you very far in life... brace yourself.

The second effect is ruinous debt. The average college graduate with loans now leaves college $25,000 in debt. Student loan debt exceeds $1 trillion and is now greater than credit card debt. And the debts are inescapable. Bankruptcy doesn’t extinguish them; even Social Security payments can be garnished to repay them.

These debts weigh down not only the holder but the entire economy. Students now graduate with a burden that forecloses choices. More and more are forced to return home to live. Marriage becomes less imaginable;public-interest work is less affordable. As Pam Brown, an organizer with the Occupy Student Debt Campaign, put it, “The debt makes us very individual; we can’t afford to help someone else.”

And another one . . .

Free public colleges might slow the rise of private college costs, as they would have to compete with the free offerings of public schools. More students would attend school or advanced training. The United States would gain the benefits of a better educated citizenry and workforce. Young people, not burdened by debt, could be more entrepreneurial and more public spirited.

Washington is too paralyzed by the elite fixation on austerity and too polarized by partisan divides to consider investments to create a better job market — or anything this bold. The Occupy Student Debt Campaign has it right: Reforms will come only from outside the Beltway.
you still have not answered my question.....

If "free" higher education in other countries is such a great thing, then why are our universities flooded with students from foreign countries? Students that are paying 50K a year PLUS living expenses PLUS being 6-12 hours flying time from home?

No, no I am not.... I know people doing so. Unfortunately, too many like you have the "Can't do" attitude which will not take you very far in life... brace yourself.
you are correct. If one wants to do it, they find a way.

The real problem we have nowadays is people like Chris who say "you cant do that on your own"

And another one . . .

If "free" higher education in other countries is such a great thing, then why are our universities flooded with students from foreign countries? Students that are paying 50K a year PLUS living expenses PLUS being 6-12 hours flying time from home?

Because they're stupid, I guess. Why do you think they do? Especially when some of these FREE colleges are rated amongst the BEST.

God forbid you greedy selfish people even CONSIDER it though.
we have.

I ask again..

If free education works, why are foreign students flooding our universities at a cost of 50K a year? Why not go to one of those "free college" countries?

And another one . . .

Because they're stupid, I guess. Why do you think they do? Especially when some of these FREE colleges are rated amongst the BEST.
Oh... I see. They are stupid.

So tell me....how many well known ANYTHING graduated from one of those free colleges?

And another one . . .

Oh... I see. They are stupid.

So tell me....how many well known ANYTHING graduated from one of those free colleges?

Post links to you claims or they are meaningless.

you are correct. If one wants to do it, they find a way.

The real problem we have nowadays is people like Chris who say "you cant do that on your own"

I always relay my personal experience... yes, I wanted to go to Tulane... Tulane was $20k at the time, so that was out.. the University of New Orleans was my next choice.... I couldn't afford full-time, so, I worked fulltime and went to school part-time, evenings and days when I could. Yeah, it took me 6 years.. but I did it.

It can be done.

God forbid you greedy selfish people even CONSIDER it though.

Who is being greedy and selfish?

I've already completed and paid for MY education. I want to give people a way OUT of poverty, while you want to keep them there. Why do you want to punish people less fortunate?
because it has been proven time and time again...when something is not earned, it is not treated with the respect it deserves.

You see it in everyday life.

Oh really? You know people? What a lame argument. Post links and stats.

Forum List

Back