A revolt is growing as more people refuse to pay back student loans

Our GOVERNMENT gave the people of India money too. Duh. So did many other GOVERNMENTS. Maybe you should realize how much money our government gives to foreign countries every year (BILLIONS of dollars) of "YOUR" tax payer money. A lot of that money could be kept here to help US.

The American people gave far more than the American government did, contradicting your claim again we're a bunch of cheap, selfish people. Foreign was the reverse, almost all giving was their government. And yes, all foreign aid should be eliminated, every dime

I agree. NO more foreign aid to anyone. They love our money but after getting OUR money they have no problem kicking us in the teeth.

As for college?? No way should the taxpayers pay for someones college educations. You want to go to college get a loan or get off your ass and put yourself through college.

Seeing the way things are right now folks would be better off in a trade school. Electricians and plumbers are always in demand. The hell with college. Go for something thats going to help you in your life.

How many college kids out there can't find a job??

And . . . how many electricians and plumbers do we need? Good Lord.
machinists, carpet layers, store clerks, loading dock workers, truck drivers, civil servants,......I can continue if you would like.....item counters, quality inspectors, baggers, auto mechanics.......shall I continue?

And a LOT of those are minimum wage paying jobs. And what of the kids who are smart enough and motivated enough to be doctor? They don't have any option except to accept going to a trade school?

And everyone doesn't have the drive or brains to be a doctor, you want to leave them with no option but medical school or the street?

Yup, in the 80s. You are old and out of touch with the job market and the way things work nowadays. Your assertions make absolutely NO SENSE.

First, swish, you completely whiffed on the point I made.

As for out of touch with the job market…

:wtf:

My career has been in management, management consulting and entrepreneurship since the 80s. out of touch with the job market? You are insane. Yet lawyers who spent their career is politics, them you believe. Your brain is spaghetti.

Explain in detail how loans and grants raise prices instead of just making baseless claims. All loans and grants do is expand the pool of people who are allowed to go to college. Like I said before, GREED.

First, I’m not explaining any more in detail until you start addressing my points, which you are either unwilling or incapable of doing. As for greed, mirror, sweetie, it is you on a message board demanding money, other people’s money, for your cause.

Not to mention, if our taxes went to pay for college instead of other countries' needs, none of that would be an issue anymore.

You have no sense of perspective. Yeah, I’m against foreign aid, but ending foreign aid will provide free college educations? You’re freaking nuts.

Yes it would. That is billions of dollars every single year.

I didn't say they have to work for all the money. I ended up with $4K in debt. I worked odd jobs for $10 an hour in the eighties doing painting, yard work, etc. I also worked nights as a network operator.

I had to be there 4 hours a night. I didn't have to work unless the network is down, they were fine with me doing homework. Summer, winter, spring break I worked full time plus.

I worked at working at it. That's what it takes.

Except college costs have risen 360% since 1980.

avg_tuitionfees_byinstitutiontype.png

And guess what workers wages done in that time:

Worker-Productivity-Annual-Wage-Compensation.png

That's right, they have stagnated.

This is an economic crisis for the US. If people are paying $300-700/month to the federal government, that money isn't going to a mortgage, a car payment, or to any other economically stimulating activity.

And if people want to save that money, guess what? That 401K isn't going to be worth anything if the companies are not making any money thus have poor stock performance. Those companies would move operations to countries who have disposable incomes. That means work dries up here in the US, thus perpetuating the problem. Businesses don't care that people are "being responsible" by paying back the federal government, they want to make money. They go where the money is.

We need to properly fund higher education in this country. Its what is best for the future.
That is a great argument that what you propose doesn't work. Endless low interest government money is a bad idea. You want the cost of school to go down, eliminate government subsidized loans. Then students will pick schools based on the value they get and make better choices. Schools aren't accountable for creating economic value and the cost is skyrocketing. You want to double down on that over and over by flooding in even more government money to unaccountable administratoins.

Throw money at a problem and hope some of it helps. What a great plan. As a management consultant, I never tried suggesting that strategy to CEOs. I'll try that next time, thanks for the tip. Hey, I know it's a problem bro, throw money at it, maybe that will help. You know, like liberals do in government. Yeah, I'd be on the street by tonight. You people do know how to waste money, and wasting your own isn't enough for you

AS you've been told, those getting grants and student loans HAVE TO MAINTAIN A CERTAIN GRADE POINT AVERAGE. Derp.

Oh, now I get it. So if you get a B in underwater basket weaving, you will be able to get a good job. Got it.

You don't listen very well, do you? I'm talking about kids who have GREAT potential but cannot attend college because of monetary reasons.

Everyone can attend school now with loans. You aren't solving a problem that exists

The American people gave far more than the American government did, contradicting your claim again we're a bunch of cheap, selfish people. Foreign was the reverse, almost all giving was their government. And yes, all foreign aid should be eliminated, every dime

I agree. NO more foreign aid to anyone. They love our money but after getting OUR money they have no problem kicking us in the teeth.

As for college?? No way should the taxpayers pay for someones college educations. You want to go to college get a loan or get off your ass and put yourself through college.

Seeing the way things are right now folks would be better off in a trade school. Electricians and plumbers are always in demand. The hell with college. Go for something thats going to help you in your life.

machinists, carpet layers, store clerks, loading dock workers, truck drivers, civil servants,......I can continue if you would like.....item counters, quality inspectors, baggers, auto mechanics.......shall I continue?

And a LOT of those are minimum wage paying jobs. And what of the kids who are smart enough and motivated enough to be doctor? They don't have any option except to accept going to a trade school?

And everyone doesn't have the drive or brains to be a doctor, you want to leave them with no option but medical school or the street?

No kidding. Trade schools are STILL an option for those who wish to do a trade. Your arguments are SO stupid.

Yup, in the 80s. You are old and out of touch with the job market and the way things work nowadays. Your assertions make absolutely NO SENSE.

My career has been in management, management consulting and entrepreneurship since the 80s. out of touch with the job market? You are insane. Yet lawyers who spent their career is politics, them you believe. Your brain is spaghetti.

Explain in detail how loans and grants raise prices instead of just making baseless claims. All loans and grants do is expand the pool of people who are allowed to go to college. Like I said before, GREED.

First, I’m not explaining any more in detail until you start addressing my points, which you are either unwilling or incapable of doing. As for greed, mirror, sweetie, it is you on a message board demanding money, other people’s money, for your cause.

Not to mention, if our taxes went to pay for college instead of other countries' needs, none of that would be an issue anymore.

You have no sense of perspective. Yeah, I’m against foreign aid, but ending foreign aid will provide free college educations? You’re freaking nuts.

Yes it would. That is billions of dollars every single year.

And multiply a the cost of a college degree by the kids who would go to college for free

Our GOVERNMENT gave the people of India money too. Duh. So did many other GOVERNMENTS. Maybe you should realize how much money our government gives to foreign countries every year (BILLIONS of dollars) of "YOUR" tax payer money. A lot of that money could be kept here to help US.

that is what academic scholarships are for. Not just for the rich kid who earns a 3.9 and participated in school activities...but ANY kid who got a 3.9 and participated in school activities.

No kidding. Trade schools are STILL an option for those who wish to do a trade. Your arguments are SO stupid.

That's what he said, try to keep up.

And personal responsibility, wow, what an idiot I am...

This is an economic crisis for the US. If people are paying $300-700/month to the federal government, that money isn't going to a mortgage, a car payment, or to any other economically stimulating activity.

And if people want to save that money, guess what? That 401K isn't going to be worth anything if the companies are not making any money thus have poor stock performance. Those companies would move operations to countries who have disposable incomes. That means work dries up here in the US, thus perpetuating the problem. Businesses don't care that people are "being responsible" by paying back the federal government, they want to make money. They go where the money is.

We need to properly fund higher education in this country. Its what is best for the future.
That is a great argument that what you propose doesn't work. Endless low interest government money is a bad idea. You want the cost of school to go down, eliminate government subsidized loans. Then students will pick schools based on the value they get and make better choices. Schools aren't accountable for creating economic value and the cost is skyrocketing. You want to double down on that over and over by flooding in even more government money to unaccountable administratoins.

Throw money at a problem and hope some of it helps. What a great plan. As a management consultant, I never tried suggesting that strategy to CEOs. I'll try that next time, thanks for the tip. Hey, I know it's a problem bro, throw money at it, maybe that will help. You know, like liberals do in government. Yeah, I'd be on the street by tonight. You people do know how to waste money, and wasting your own isn't enough for you

AS you've been told, those getting grants and student loans HAVE TO MAINTAIN A CERTAIN GRADE POINT AVERAGE. Derp.

Oh, now I get it. So if you get a B in underwater basket weaving, you will be able to get a good job. Got it.

You don't listen very well, do you? I'm talking about kids who have GREAT potential but cannot attend college because of monetary reasons.

Everyone can attend school now with loans. You aren't solving a problem that exists

7 countries where Americans can study at universities in English for free or almost free - The Washington Post

Now, if other countries can provide this, there is no reason why we couldn't too.

I didn't say they have to work for all the money. I ended up with $4K in debt. I worked odd jobs for $10 an hour in the eighties doing painting, yard work, etc. I also worked nights as a network operator.

I had to be there 4 hours a night. I didn't have to work unless the network is down, they were fine with me doing homework. Summer, winter, spring break I worked full time plus.

How do you determine if one has great potential?

Earning a 3.0 in high school? The student simply saying "I have great potential"?

And my point is, that some students would like to do something more. The only thing stopping them, is costs.

7 countries where Americans can study at universities in English for free or almost free - The Washington Post

Now, if other countries can provide this, there is no reason why we couldn't too.
Gee, I wonder if such is true, then why do so many foreign students leave their homes, families, friends...spend all kinds of money to come here to the US to pay 50K a year......

How do you determine if one has great potential?

Earning a 3.0 in high school? The student simply saying "I have great potential"?

What do you think academic scholarships are based on? Duh. Why don't you just admit that you don't want to give poor people the opportunity or any options.

Free pre-school, free child care, free public school, free university, free food, free healthcare, state jobs, subsidized housing, and retirement.

For the people comrades !!!!!

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Gee, I wonder if such is true, then why do so many foreign students leave their homes, families, friends...spend all kinds of money to come here to the US to pay 50K a year......

Most of our doctors are educated in OTHER countries. They obtain degrees from other countries where college is MUCH cheaper or even free.

And my point is, that some students would like to do something more. The only thing stopping them, is costs.

Oh, I know. By God, helping people better themselves and contribute to the economy instead of having to rely on public assistance is SOCIALISM!

An excerpt which I found interesting from my link . . .

Times Higher Education ranks two Brazilian universities among the world's top 400: the University of Sao Paulo and the State University of Campinas.

Except you have made NO valid points except for anecdotes about how things were in the 1980s. You are OUT OF TOUCH.

There's always a "way" if you really ant it.

Free college We can afford it. - The Washington Post

College costs have soared at a rate faster than health-care costs. Since 1980, the cost of living has nearly doubled; health-care costs have quadrupled, and college tuitions and fees have exploded eight times over.

This has had two major effects. As the National Commission on Adult Literacy reports, “The US is the only country among 30 OECD free-market countries where the current generation is less well educated than the previous one.” Once the leader in percentage of college graduates between the ages of 25-34, the United States has dropped to 12th out of 36 developed nations.

That is what Stafford loans are for.

Let me fill you ion on something. Here in NY, the state decided to offer those that apply and qualify, an education for free in medical coding. It was not only for free....but they were paid a salary (or allowed to stay on unemployment during the term of the course, even though they were not actively seeking a job)...all they had to do was register for the course and attend the classes.

To qualify, you had to meet certain basic requirements....a HS diploma (or GED) and unemployed.

I supported the program as I was one that helped locate medical coding opportunities for those that graduated.

The problem?

Every class was booked...a good thing....by the last class and practical exam, less that 25% were still attending.....more than 75% stopped showing up. Of those that graduated, less that 50% accepted interviews....and of those that accepted interviews......about 67% showed up on the interviews......a little less than 1/3 just did not show up on the interview.

Bet if they paid at least something for the course...be it 25%.......a heck of a lot more would have capitalized on the opportunity.

Forum List

Back