A "Nice" Oddity in the Used Car Marketplace

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
In a search for a new car for my wife, I have confirmed the continuing availability of a bizarre quirk in the used car marketplace. That quirk is the Certified Pre-Owned used car (aka "CPO").

In an attempt to help dealers make more profit on used car sales, most manufacturers have created CPO plans, whereby late-model used cars can have an extended FACTORY warranty, thus warranting a premium price. The customer pays more, the dealer gets more, and the dealer kicks back some to the factory for the parts coverage over the extended term.

But there are cases where the CPO warranty on used cars is actually BETTER THAN the new-car warranty was on that exact same car!

For example, you can get a warranty through 70,000 odometer miles on a used Mercedes. But you can find used Mercedes' with less than 10,000 miles on them, giving you - at least theoretically - a 60,000 mile warranty, which is better than that car carried when it was new. In the Mercedes example, there is a time limit - I think it's four or five years from the in-service date - so this would only be advantageous for a high-mileage purchaser.

I am looking at a used Jag with about 4,000 miles on it. The CPO warranty goes through 7 years or 70,000 miles, and also includes all factory-required maintenance for the first 50,000 miles. The car is only a couple months old (the reason for the trade has not been established), so as I said above, the warranty on this car is better than new.

You car guys will point out that Jaguar has a well-deserved reputation for being, in some ways, junk, but this particular dealer is very reputable and provides loaners when your car is in the shop. Since I'm now retired, I really don't care if I have to take it back a couple times a year for repairs under warranty.

CPO is a pretty cool thing, I think.

Any experiences with it out there in USMB-land?

we own 2 cars, neither that great on gas mileage and the hubby drives 60 miles a day back and forth to work, we love our cars so we were looking to buy a third small car, that had great gas mileage that he would use for work during the week....

So we bought a CPO Hyundai that got 44 mpg highway/ 37 city with 100,000 mile warranty....the car had 10,000 miles on it when we bought it...

Cars should run for a lot of miles these days. I never even care about warranty? If you need a warranty, leave the lot. Warranties are useless? They don't cover the stuff that breaks on you anyways? It covers pistons or gears. When is the last time you broke a valve? Anyone?

I bought brand-new........few times recently. I don't want to sit in somebody else's dirty seats and carpets. It is a lot of work to drive a lot of miles in traffic and keep it clean. A lot of work to do the required service. I know what I got at 30,60,90K miles. Am I wrong?

In a search for a new car for my wife, I have confirmed the continuing availability of a bizarre quirk in the used car marketplace. That quirk is the Certified Pre-Owned used car (aka "CPO").

In an attempt to help dealers make more profit on used car sales, most manufacturers have created CPO plans, whereby late-model used cars can have an extended FACTORY warranty, thus warranting a premium price. The customer pays more, the dealer gets more, and the dealer kicks back some to the factory for the parts coverage over the extended term.

But there are cases where the CPO warranty on used cars is actually BETTER THAN the new-car warranty was on that exact same car!

For example, you can get a warranty through 70,000 odometer miles on a used Mercedes. But you can find used Mercedes' with less than 10,000 miles on them, giving you - at least theoretically - a 60,000 mile warranty, which is better than that car carried when it was new. In the Mercedes example, there is a time limit - I think it's four or five years from the in-service date - so this would only be advantageous for a high-mileage purchaser.

I am looking at a used Jag with about 4,000 miles on it. The CPO warranty goes through 7 years or 70,000 miles, and also includes all factory-required maintenance for the first 50,000 miles. The car is only a couple months old (the reason for the trade has not been established), so as I said above, the warranty on this car is better than new.

You car guys will point out that Jaguar has a well-deserved reputation for being, in some ways, junk, but this particular dealer is very reputable and provides loaners when your car is in the shop. Since I'm now retired, I really don't care if I have to take it back a couple times a year for repairs under warranty.

CPO is a pretty cool thing, I think.

Any experiences with it out there in USMB-land?
Informative, if I had the money to blow I wouldn't even by a new jaguar, but to each his own and like you said if you don't mind having a tow truck company on speed dial go for it.

BTW people looking to buy a used car a word of advice stay clear of Craigslist, they are getting notorious for people flipping cars, you can still find a deal but make sure for one the car title is in the name of the seller.

I did hear of this "new kind of warranty" that included Oil changes and maybe some other basic stuff? If you drive a lot (30Kmi/yr) that is 4-6 oil changes at $50 each (rotate tires included). I used to do ALL oil changes myself (every 5K) but they put on a cover making it a lot of work to jack up and un-bolt cover. Forget about it, to rotate tires in your garage? TOO much work! I let them do it now every 7.5K.

I don't have the price (and I am not looking! too much work) but it seemed like it might have been a good deal? Get one of those type if any sort of warranty.

Warranties are for suckers

Most new cars reach 100,000 without needing major repairs
My car has 180,000 and has never had a tuneup

Warranties are for suckers

Most new cars reach 100,000 without needing major repairs
My car has 180,000 and has never had a tuneup

I would hope you have done at least 18 oil changes-filters? radiator-tranny fluid? brakes & brake-fluid? Wiper blades?

The "free maintenance" becomes an issue with European cars, which often have very expensive required maintenance at various mileage milestones. If you don't document the service, it doesn't void the warranty, but it could make the car unsellable. Jag and BMW have free maintenance for a few years on new cars.

An extended warranty is usually grossly overpriced, but so are repairs on these high end european cars. If it's free -as with a CEO used car, it is a significant inducement.

Forum List

Back