A New Trend: Kindergartners Not Potty-Trained

This thread doesn't even belong under "education." It belongs under politics, which is Sweet Sue's agenda everywhere.

Wrong again. The way we view special needs children is colored by politics as is everything. But that's not a political topic per se.

You really don't deserve any rational or polite responses after you went off on me like a madwoman, so these responses are not for you. They're for any other reasonable posters reading.

when one thinks that its all the left then explain how in this county which is mainly republican and christian has these same issues....lazy parents exist on both sides...and trying to make it a political issue ignores the true root of the problem.....the us doesnt give a damn about kids they have zero value in the big picture of policy and money

1. This nation is deep in cultural rot. The rot is everywhere. I am not trying to make that a political issue per se, but yes, "victimology" does belong to the Left. Other things belong to the Right. "Troop Worship", which makes me increasingly uncomfortable by the way, belongs to the Right. And let me say I have respect for those who serve, we need them and it's valuable profession. But the reflexive worship has me a little uncomfortable these days. Just to show you that I see issues in the culture all the way around and like all fallible humans, have blind spots too no doubt.

2. This nation is no longer Christian. Hasn't been for some time.

3. And absolutely lazy parenting knows no race, religion, cultural barrier, or income. Agreed there.

4. Segments of the US are actually child-centric, and not in a good way. Entire households absolutely revolve around the children. To the children's detriment.

i dont think you can discuss education in the us without discussing the politics of it...esp since texas controls the textbooks
And that, bones, is the whole problem with education today.

Make it as local as possible. Do away with the Federal Dept of Ed and let the states take over. State by State decisions. Less political, problem solved.

Oh but wait, Big Gov't lovers always hate that solution.

The choices are not neglect or helicopter parents...i will freely admit CPS does not approve of my child rearing methods i tend to be a hard core parent

I have expectations of the wee ones

i dont think you can discuss education in the us without discussing the politics of it...esp since texas controls the textbooks
And that, bones, is the whole problem with education today.

Make it as local as possible. Do away with the Federal Dept of Ed and let the states take over. State by State decisions. Less political, problem solved.

Oh but wait, Big Gov't lovers always hate that solution.
The federal government only provides 8% of school funding, nationwide. 92% is already being f-d up by the states.
So I'm not seeing how that will be the "magic bullet" you seek.

The choices are not neglect or helicopter parents...i will freely admit CPS does not approve of my child rearing methods i tend to be a hard core parent

Being hard core is fine as long as you don't leave bruises.
And you love them.
I doubt very much if CPS has ever been or will ever be at your door.

Only poor teachers have low expectations.

"I love you too much to settle for your mediocrity"--good teachers everywhere

Kids are odd things...at this time the 4 yr old and i are just doing words...so far we got ...hot...bar...and lunch

You have to enjoy them and have a sense of humor

Local boards
of Ed are the worst

Then it's the community's fault. Absolutely.
Everyone thinks they're an expert. People with absolutely no understanding of educational policy or how to teach are micro managing schools.

Now you're getting political, right? Deciding who is best to run the schools, big govt in far-flung places or locally elected officials, is a political question.
I thought you weren't talking to me. I'm rude, remember?

Kids are odd things...at this time the 4 yr old and i are just doing words...so far we got ...hot...bar...and lunch

You have to enjoy them and have a sense of humor
upload_2019-6-10_9-8-30.png

You read that right. Not only in my district but apparently everywhere. Students coming to kindergarten and REMAINING in kind. in pull-ups. And having bowel "accidents" in pull-ups. Many of these students are not special needs, either. They have no known medical, physical, behavioral or emotional problems.

Naturally the important thing is that these students not be mocked and feel no pressure whatsoever....

Buffalo Teachers Say Having To Change Kids' Diapers Is A Bum Deal
I thought being potty trained was a prerequisite to be enrolled in kindergarten.

When did this change?

You read that right. Not only in my district but apparently everywhere. Students coming to kindergarten and REMAINING in kind. in pull-ups. And having bowel "accidents" in pull-ups. Many of these students are not special needs, either. They have no known medical, physical, behavioral or emotional problems.

Naturally the important thing is that these students not be mocked and feel no pressure whatsoever....

Buffalo Teachers Say Having To Change Kids' Diapers Is A Bum Deal
I thought being potty trained was a prerequisite to be enrolled in kindergarten.

When did this change?
This particular district has a policy that the child does NOT have to be potty trained. In 2014 another school district in Spokane Washington raised this issue. Their grand poobah said that the situation is the same it has always been. It was more the issue of who gets to change the diapers. Some of the aides were saying it wasn't their job either.

In my Google search, I did not see articles from any other school districts with concerns about this problem. As I said earlier, I think this is a lot of far right baloney.

Forum List

Back