A New Trend: Kindergartners Not Potty-Trained

You read that right. Not only in my district but apparently everywhere. Students coming to kindergarten and REMAINING in kind. in pull-ups. And having bowel "accidents" in pull-ups. Many of these students are not special needs, either. They have no known medical, physical, behavioral or emotional problems.

Naturally the important thing is that these students not be mocked and feel no pressure whatsoever....

Buffalo Teachers Say Having To Change Kids' Diapers Is A Bum Deal
I thought being potty trained was a prerequisite to be enrolled in kindergarten.

When did this change?

We really can't reject any children mostly due to the Disability laws and etc. There are no "Katie bar the door". So I'm sure that's the deciding factor here. We must accommodate whatever they bring in the "least restrictive environment"...that's what the federal law says.

You read that right. Not only in my district but apparently everywhere. Students coming to kindergarten and REMAINING in kind. in pull-ups. And having bowel "accidents" in pull-ups. Many of these students are not special needs, either. They have no known medical, physical, behavioral or emotional problems.

Naturally the important thing is that these students not be mocked and feel no pressure whatsoever....

I thought being potty trained was a prerequisite to be enrolled in kindergarten.

When did this change?
This particular district has a policy that the child does NOT have to be potty trained. In 2014 another school district in Spokane Washington raised this issue. Their grand poobah said that the situation is the same it has always been. It was more the issue of who gets to change the diapers. Some of the aides were saying it wasn't their job either.

In my Google search, I did not see articles from any other school districts with concerns about this problem. As I said earlier, I think this is a lot of far right baloney.

One in Spokane, one in Buffalo, one in the UK and two in two schools in my district. Previous to a few years ago I had never heard of this aside from special needs kids with severe impairments.

Local boards
of Ed are the worst

Then it's the community's fault. Absolutely.
Everyone thinks they're an expert. People with absolutely no understanding of educational policy or how to teach are micro managing schools.

Now you're getting political, right? Deciding who is best to run the schools, big govt in far-flung places or locally elected officials, is a political question.
I thought you weren't talking to me. I'm rude, remember?

I'm talking past you. You're unhinged

When did this change?
This particular district has a policy that the child does NOT have to be potty trained. In 2014 another school district in Spokane Washington raised this issue. Their grand poobah said that the situation is the same it has always been. It was more the issue of who gets to change the diapers. Some of the aides were saying it wasn't their job either.

In my Google search, I did not see articles from any other school districts with concerns about this problem. As I said earlier, I think this is a lot of far right baloney.

One in Spokane, one in Buffalo, one in the UK and two in two schools in my district. Previous to a few years ago I had never heard of this aside from special needs kids with severe impairments.
So, five schools in five years (one which is not even in this country) have had teachers and aides bitching about who changes the diapers. You just admitted to Muhammed the reason these kids are in class--although in your OP you insisted they are all perfectly normal--and you twisted it into a catastrophic reflection of leftist society. Well done.

When did this change?

So, five schools in five years (one which is not even in this country) have had teachers and aides bitching about who changes the diapers. You just admitted to Muhammed the reason these kids are in class--although in your OP you insisted they are all perfectly normal--and you twisted it into a catastrophic reflection of leftist society. Well done.

I see you're still unhinged. That must be unpleasant for you.

Why in God's name would any parent allow a child to go without potty-training any longer than absolutely necessary? How are they not eagerly counting the days until they don't have to change diapers? I know I was. Couldn't get those kids pottying fast enough to suit me.

I would be careful with that. If you have a 5, 6, 7 year old in pull ups then you have something else going on. It is not uncommon for kids to regress. Schools seldom have the full picture.

And again, why would the parent not have that kid at a doctor finding out why, and communicating same to the teachers?

I would be careful with that. If you have a 5, 6, 7 year old in pull ups then you have something else going on. It is not uncommon for kids to regress. Schools seldom have the full picture.

And again, why would the parent not have that kid at a doctor finding out why, and communicating same to the teachers?

And again, either no access to a doctor, no knowledge or hiding something.

I think that can account for many cases but, as the age of average potty training rises, we can expect the age of the "outliers" to rise as well. We know of a girl--a girl now--who completed training at the age of 4.5 and I know for a fact there are no issues--no abuse, nothing. Again the attitude is prevalent that "they'll do it when they're ready". This attitude has resulted in the average age of potty training now standing at 36.8 months in the US. That's obviously OVER 3 years old--and that's AVERAGE.

In the United States, the age at which toilet training begins is climbing, according to the literature review in the Jornel de Pediatria.

For the paper, the researchers reviewed 85 studies on toilet training that were published between 1960 and 2007.

They found that in the US in 1947, 60% of children were toilet trained at 18 months. In 1974, about 60% were trained later, at 33 months. By 1980, the average toilet trained age varied from 25 to 27 months, and in 2003, it increased to 36.8, according to the paper.

"In Connecticut, I think the average age of toilet training around here is probably around 2½," Spiesel said of the state where he practices.

The American Academy of Pediatrics notes that there is no set age at which toilet training should be initiated, since it depends on the individual child's readiness. Most children become physiologically ready for toilet training around 18 months, but they may not be cognitively ready, according to the Academy.

Potty training around the world - CNN

i think those potty trained at 18 months are more the parents being potty trained not the 18 month old...now with that said...everyone expects the current yr old to be trained sooner than older sibling was...we shall see

Why in God's name would any parent allow a child to go without potty-training any longer than absolutely necessary? How are they not eagerly counting the days until they don't have to change diapers? I know I was. Couldn't get those kids pottying fast enough to suit me.

See the information I just posted. It would seem to me that the ability of toddlers to potty train has not really changed but the tolerance of parents has increased for some reason. Both mine were trained before their third bdays and would have been earlier if I would have had my way. Now that's younger than average.

That was in 2003 however...I'm going to look for more updated averages

From 2008:

Recent data show that training now often starts between 21 and 36 months of age, and that only 40 to 60 percent of children complete toilet training by 36 months of age.3

Toilet Training

So again, that's fully three years old--only 40-60% of three year olds have completed potty training. To me, that absolutely leaves the door open for the "outliers" now to be five years old.

Here's a mom asking a question about a family member. Nothing seems to be wrong, kid is just not potty trained, and mom seems to think the folks at school will change his diaper.

This is what I see as well. Parents seemed to be lulled into "he'll do it when he's ready".

My nephew will start kindergarten w/ my odd this August, but he isnt potty trained at all. My sister seems to think he can still go to school. I am positive he cant. No teacher is going to change his diaper. Anyone been through this? If hes not trained by August, he has to wait until the following year, correct?

Sorry it is probably obvious. I just dont understand why she refuses to train him.

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a60857770/kindergarten_and_still_in_diapers..

Where did she once bring liberals into it? She didn’t. You did.

I wonder then why it seems to be an epidemic that we have only seen recently. I had never, ever heard of this in my 25 years of teaching before, say, the last 5 years.
In 1961, when I was in first grade, one of my classmates wet himself several times. He wasn't "special." He just had accidents sometimes. His mom sent him extra pants to change into.

The reason for these normal children at the edge of the developmental spectrum when it comes to potty training is that they get so engrossed in what is going on that they don't notice in time that their bladder is full or that they're bowels are rumbling. It embarrasses them as much as it annoys the teacher. They DO grow out of it.

I knew when I first read your OP that you would blame this on the dissolution of society. That's bosh. Do you really think there is a parent in this country that wouldn't LOVE to see their 4 or 5 year old potty trained? REALLY, Sue?

Maybe you're just hearing about this because it wasn't talked about before. Now it is some big deal that ultra conservatives will rush to exploit in order to show that LIBERALS don't potty train their children.

This is disgusting.
That’s called “conviction”...

I blame Michael Landon...

The_Loneliest_Runner_Lance_Kerwin_1976.jpg

No access to doctor? You've never heard of free clinics?

From 2008:

Recent data show that training now often starts between 21 and 36 months of age, and that only 40 to 60 percent of children complete toilet training by 36 months of age.3

Toilet Training

So again, that's fully three years old--only 40-60% of three year olds have completed potty training. To me, that absolutely leaves the door open for the "outliers" now to be five years old.

My inclination is to think it links to the rise in helicopter parenting, parents who just have no interest in having their children grow up and become independent. Can't imagine why, though.

No access to doctor? You've never heard of free clinics?

Yep. I've heard of them. It doesn't mean everybody has one in an area they live. Some of them that exist go by zip code.

Forum List

Back