A New Trend: Kindergartners Not Potty-Trained

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
You read that right. Not only in my district but apparently everywhere. Students coming to kindergarten and REMAINING in kind. in pull-ups. And having bowel "accidents" in pull-ups. Many of these students are not special needs, either. They have no known medical, physical, behavioral or emotional problems.

Naturally the important thing is that these students not be mocked and feel no pressure whatsoever....

Buffalo Teachers Say Having To Change Kids' Diapers Is A Bum Deal

What is wrong with parents today?

I loved disposables, but if they had never been invented, this would not be happening.

You read that right. Not only in my district but apparently everywhere. Students coming to kindergarten and REMAINING in kind. in pull-ups. And having bowel "accidents" in pull-ups. Many of these students are not special needs, either. They have no known medical, physical, behavioral or emotional problems.

Naturally the important thing is that these students not be mocked and feel no pressure whatsoever....

I would be careful with that. If you have a 5, 6, 7 year old in pull ups then you have something else going on. It is not uncommon for kids to regress. Schools seldom have the full picture.

Not housebroken yet?

"Most of it is concentrated in kindergarten and pre-K. However, we have some students that are 5, 6 and 7 years old that are having a similar issue."

How typically Progressive. Pathetic.

I loved disposables, but if they had never been invented, this would not be happening.

We have no shame as a culture--I mean that in a real sense. I'm not saying we should actually shame children but it used to be you would be embarrassed as a parent and feel deep embarrassment for your child if they weren't potty trained by a decent age. Now, every child is free to be whatever. If they're pooping in their pants at age six, we just have to accept it I guess.

And that, I think, is shameful.

I would be careful with that. If you have a 5, 6, 7 year old in pull ups then you have something else going on. It is not uncommon for kids to regress. Schools seldom have the full picture.

I wonder then why it seems to be an epidemic that we have only seen recently. I had never, ever heard of this in my 25 years of teaching before, say, the last 5 years.

I wonder then why it seems to be an epidemic that we have only seen recently. I had never, ever heard of this in my 25 years of teaching before, say, the last 5 years.
Because they now have pull-ups,which they didn’t a few years ago in larger sizes. That’s my take on it.

As a rarity, it's acceptable. Some kids don't progress well.

As a rule, or even a commonality, it's a problem.

First thing would be to check if they are even aware of what they are doing. Secondly, to back track (on an individual basis rather than as a group) through their personal history. Kids respond differently to traumatic events and instability.

I agree. But, the difference is between a kid that doesn't want to stop playing or has an overall fear of the restroom and something psychological. It's super-easy to say something like those parents today and dismiss it.

In 1961, when I was in first grade, one of my classmates wet himself several times. He wasn't "special." He just had accidents sometimes. His mom sent him extra pants to change into.

The reason for these normal children at the edge of the developmental spectrum when it comes to potty training is that they get so engrossed in what is going on that they don't notice in time that their bladder is full or that their bowels are rumbling. It embarrasses them as much as it annoys the teacher. They DO grow out of it.

I knew when I first read your OP that you would blame this on the dissolution of society. That's bosh. Do you really think there is a parent in this country that wouldn't LOVE to see their 4 or 5 year old potty trained? REALLY, Sue?

Maybe you're just hearing about this because it wasn't talked about before. Now it is some big deal that ultra conservatives will rush to exploit in order to show that LIBERALS don't potty train their children.

This is disgusting.

Last edited:

There have always been a few that might have an accident. It happens, but to be wearing diapers/pull-ups, tells me they are not doing their due diligence, unless there is a medical reason.

Where did she once bring liberals into it? She didn’t. You did.

In 1961, when I was in first grade, one of my classmates wet himself several times. He wasn't "special." He just had accidents sometimes. His mom sent him extra pants to change into.

The reason for these normal children at the edge of the developmental spectrum when it comes to potty training is that they get so engrossed in what is going on that they don't notice in time that their bladder is full or that they're bowels are rumbling. It embarrasses them as much as it annoys the teacher. They DO grow out of it.

I knew when I first read your OP that you would blame this on the dissolution of society. That's bosh. Do you really think there is a parent in this country that wouldn't LOVE to see their 4 or 5 year old potty trained? REALLY, Sue?

Maybe you're just hearing about this because it wasn't talked about before. Now it is some big deal that ultra conservatives will rush to exploit in order to show that LIBERALS don't potty train their children.

This is disgusting.

Where did she once bring liberals into it? She didn’t. You did.

The reason for these normal children at the edge of the developmental spectrum when it comes to potty training is that they get so engrossed in what is going on that they don't notice in time that their bladder is full or that they're bowels are rumbling. It embarrasses them as much as it annoys the teacher. They DO grow out of it.

This is disgusting.
Give her a little time, Depotoo.

You blame the diapers for parental negligence? Walk me through that.
You are right. It was still parental negligence.
But before disposables one had to clean cloth diapers in the toilet. It was not a fun thing to do at all. Then they had to be washed, whether by hand or washing machine. A parent would want to get them potty trained as soon as they could. With the advent of disposables, parents no longer had to deal with that, and less incentive to do so quickly.

There have always been a few that might have an accident. It happens, but to be wearing diapers/pull-ups, tells me they are not doing their due diligence, unless there is a medical reason.

Sometimes there is no medical reason and then it is reverting back to the difference between not wanting to stop playing or not even being aware. The parents may not even know which direction to go or they may not have access to resources.

So, then we need to start looking at environments. Start from the outside in. What does the neighborhood look like? What is the level of violence in the neighborhood? Who are the primary caretakers? What is the family structure? What is the socioeconomic status? How many siblings?

You blame the diapers for parental negligence? Walk me through that.
Disposables. Before disposables one had to clean cloth diapers in the toilet. It was not a fun thing to do at all. Then they had to be washed, whether by hand or washing machine. A parent would want to get them potty trained as soon as they could. With the advent of disposables, parents no longer had to deal with that.
Disposable diapers have been in use since the 1960's.

The reason for these normal children at the edge of the developmental spectrum when it comes to potty training is that they get so engrossed in what is going on that they don't notice in time that their bladder is full or that their bowels are rumbling. It embarrasses them as much as it annoys the teacher. They DO grow out of it.

This is disgusting.

Whoa I didn't say it was "liberals". I didn't give any political affiliation to the parents. I DO think it's in part due to a laissez-faire acceptance of all kinds of behaviors though, "she'll do it when she's ready".

And I am NOT talking about accidents. We expect accidents in the early grades and we prepare for them...yes, even several accidents. I am specifically talking about children who are NOT POTTY TRAINED. That means, as all parents know, they're not "accidents". They do not use the toilet on a regular basis.

Sometimes there is no medical reason and then it is reverting back to the difference between not wanting to stop playing or not even being aware. The parents may not even know which direction to go or they may not have access to resources.

So, then we need to start looking at environments. Start from the outside in. What does the neighborhood look like? What is the level of violence in the neighborhood? Who are the primary caretakers? What is the family structure? What is the socioeconomic status? How many siblings?

I don't disagree with any of this, but again, I worked in some very disadvantaged districts in the past and never heard of students coming to school in pull-ups or routinely having accidents (that aren't really accidents). So it's not THAT it happens--odd things happen. It's that it's happening to apparently many kinder teachers around the nation.

Forum List

Back