A new building material has been developed. Opinions please.

Well it hasn't been all that long ago (historically speaking) since they rediscovered concrete in 1756.....With Portland Cement coming along in 1824......It had been lost since around 480 with the split of the Roman Empire.

we know a lot more about roman concrete now that they have studied the materials from aqueducts and the pantheon. has anything we've learned made it to the field?

and, i do not believe that the gothic masons deliberately mixed human blood in their mortar. accidents happen on any large project, the cathedrals were the largest scale urban construction project ever in a feudal age of castles.

3 d printing is mind boggling. add artificial intelligence and advances comparable to this one in materials science. talk about a "great replacement theory."
I'm City &, Guilds qualified in trowel occupations (bricklaying in laymen's terms). When you are experienced in bricklaying, cavities, bonds, dpc, wall ties etc.. you kinda understand that 3D printing concrete, soil/sand bricks etc.. are a farce. But like I said, unless you're trained in construction, they won't understand.

No disrespect to Americans, building houses in wood is what we do with garden sheds. The nearest we get is timber frame with a brick/block outer leaf.

So those in the West who wonders why their 3D printed house washes away in a storm, they've just experienced the mud hut/shit brick house dilemma life in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc...

I'm City &, Guilds qualified in trowel occupations (bricklaying in laymen's terms). When you are experienced in bricklaying, cavities, bonds, dpc, wall ties etc.. you kinda understand that 3D printing concrete, soil/sand bricks etc.. are a farce. But like I said, unless you're trained in construction, they won't understand.

No disrespect to Americans, building houses in wood is what we do with garden sheds. The nearest we get is timber frame with a brick/block outer leaf.

So those in the West who wonders why their 3D printed house washes away in a storm, they've just experienced the mud hut/shit brick house dilemma life in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc...
my house has been in this location since it floated down the mississippi, loaded with cotton from kentucky. i kind of like a house of solid 2" creosote oak that is more likely to float than blow into tooth picks.

the city and guilds qualification is interesting . sounds much older than ISO 9000. is that achieved through apprenticeship and guild membership?

an extremely valuable aspect of our labor unions is their apprenticeship programs.

Haven’t bricks always been made that way?

Typical clickbait from a clickbait site.

Although I did get a chuckle out of this headline...

Scientists build compelling case to create a 'Category 6' hurricane classification: '[That wind speed] is probably faster than most Ferraris'​

Yeah, there is nothing of interest to see there.

''The properties built with the materials can reportedly float, produce power, and grow food, all according to a news release from the university''. I would like to see structures built of it myself and exactly see what they are talking about. Like other posters it reminds me of ancient buildings made of adobe and other types of material which would stay cool in summer and mild in winter. I am not sure why being able to float would be positive and if it is that light how would it hold up to storm like winds. Or how it would produce food.

Does not really matter. Just claim it can do everything, and people will click on it and spread it around.

3 d printing is mind boggling

3d printing buildings is mostly a big scam, and it always blows my mind how people still think this is a real thing.

Tell me, would you fly in a 3D printed airplane? Drive in a 3D printed car?

All they are in general is a slow and inefficient way to make a cement building. It is really nothing special, magical, or even cheaper. It is simply a really complex way to make a concrete house.

3d printing buildings is mostly a big scam, and it always blows my mind how people still think this is a real thing.

Tell me, would you fly in a 3D printed airplane? Drive in a 3D printed car?

All they are in general is a slow and inefficient way to make a cement building. It is really nothing special, magical, or even cheaper. It is simply a really complex way to make a concrete house.

i believe our speculations on these future events are transparently speculative. small replacement repair parts? i might like this capability in lieu of carrying 2 of everything you might need to mars.

i believe our speculations on these future events are transparently speculative.

And that is the key word that most overlook. "Speculative".

"Speculative" is not real, it is only a possibility. But in almost all of the cases of these science scams, they are taking what is only a very slim possibility and trying to scream it is a real thing.

When it comes to buildings, literally all a "3D printed Building" is, is concrete. Something that has been done for thousands of years already and much more efficiently with simple forms and molds. But there is always a segment of the population that will grasp onto anything proclaimed as "new", even if it is nothing new at all. The first time I heard of this over a decade ago, I simply shook my head as it seemed like an awfully complex and inefficient way to make a cement wall.

And hell, look back at Elron Musk with his Boring Company. Where he tried to claim that the company would recoup a lot of the expense of building Hyperloop tunnels by converting the dirt extracted into "super bricks".

Yet more pseudo-scientific vaporware. This is almost literally a rehash of a failed Musk project from 5 years ago. Because 5 years later, we are still waiting for his 10 cent bricks.

• Tech
    TECH

Scientists make breakthrough brick from soil and sand with remarkable properties: 'Nature has been a great teacher'​

The innovation has the potential to change the very foundation of the construction sector. Scientists make breakthrough brick from soil and sand with remarkable properties: 'Nature has been a great teacher' This is the link to the article. I am just looking for some opinions on the subject from those with some knowledge and education in the field. As for me I grew up with hands on experience in all types of construction and to me their maybe be problems with the new building material depending on the climate conditions.
Clay-and Sand Bricks have been made for thousands of years incl. adding all kind of additives. It all depends on the respective regions natural resources and it's particular requirements - at the end of the day it's an "unreasonable" price that stops most of those ideas and existing "restrictive" construction laws - that are in favor of protecting the existing products and industry.

Concrete roof tiles are known for a century to negatively impact the climate, the house climate itself, and the general environment far more severely then clay roof-tiles - but concrete roof-tiles have always been the cheapest to purchase and to lay. (labor costs for laying/fixing concrete tiles are far less).

Last edited:
<nitpick>

We make bricks out of cement and sand ... much much stronger than clay ... they're too poor in Bang-the-desk to use concrete ...

</nitpick>

• Tech
    TECH

Scientists make breakthrough brick from soil and sand with remarkable properties: 'Nature has been a great teacher'​

The innovation has the potential to change the very foundation of the construction sector. Scientists make breakthrough brick from soil and sand with remarkable properties: 'Nature has been a great teacher' This is the link to the article. I am just looking for some opinions on the subject from those with some knowledge and education in the field. As for me I grew up with hands on experience in all types of construction and to me their maybe be problems with the new building material depending on the climate conditions.
They will deteriorate IMO.

Forum List

Back