A new building material has been developed. Opinions please.

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
  • Tech
    TECH

Scientists make breakthrough brick from soil and sand with remarkable properties: 'Nature has been a great teacher'​

The innovation has the potential to change the very foundation of the construction sector. Scientists make breakthrough brick from soil and sand with remarkable properties: 'Nature has been a great teacher' This is the link to the article. I am just looking for some opinions on the subject from those with some knowledge and education in the field. As for me I grew up with hands on experience in all types of construction and to me their maybe be problems with the new building material depending on the climate conditions.

• Tech
    TECH

Scientists make breakthrough brick from soil and sand with remarkable properties: 'Nature has been a great teacher'​

The innovation has the potential to change the very foundation of the construction sector. Scientists make breakthrough brick from soil and sand with remarkable properties: 'Nature has been a great teacher' This is the link to the article. I am just looking for some opinions on the subject from those with some knowledge and education in the field. As for me I grew up with hands on experience in all types of construction and to me their maybe be problems with the new building material depending on the climate conditions.
Pretty sure people have been making bricks that way since ancient egypt or even before.

Sometimes I think we're only catching up to what man of the past already knew and made applicable.

Of course, there's probably a lot of shady reasons why it was all ''fogotten'' anyway.

Sometimes I think we're only catching up to what man of the past already knew and made applicable.

Of course, there's probably a lot of shady reasons why it was all ''fogotten'' anyway.

They just bake clay bricks in brickyards m

I have watched them make bricks in Arabia.. the heat and sun bakes them.

That was my thinking also like Adobe bricks. How would these new bricks hold up under extreme conditions is another question.
that depends largly on the composition of "soil" and the conditions of drying (adobe would be sun dried (and dependent on local conditions) kiln drying opens up all kinds of high tech variations of temperature, pressure, time in the oven, etc etc etc.

control can only be maintained by selection of soil and drying, mut i would say that teams of smart guys competing for the best bricks for an application might well be able to make a more uniform predictable brick, and probably uniform strength.

"a wall is only as stromg as its weakest brick"

• Tech
    TECH

I think 3d printed houses will be the next big thing in the construction world. This brick technology may be a nice complement.

• Tech
    TECH

The only brick I would consider decent in the UK is a Furness brick. Something compressed out of sand and soil does sound like a good candidate for the likes of Africa. Many Ibstock bricks are crap.

If not here then certainly on the moon or mars.
it would certainly make planetary or asteroidal colonization easier to plan, at least the initial phases, without shipping food, water, or return fuel to the weight manifest.

Construction is an interesting industry. There is always something new being developed and regular joes like me have to learn how to use it and install it. A new self-heating concrete is being developed. Not all new innovations work out I remember when Poly Butylene plumbing pipe and aluminum instead of wood was the big thing. Both have faded out due to unforeseen issues.

• Tech
    TECH

Can't wait to find out their reaction when they realize bricks have been made this way since about 7000 BC.

Can't wait to find out their reaction when they realize bricks have been made this way since about 7000 BC.
''The properties built with the materials can reportedly float, produce power, and grow food, all according to a news release from the university''. I would like to see structures built of it myself and exactly see what they are talking about. Like other posters it reminds me of ancient buildings made of adobe and other types of material which would stay cool in summer and mild in winter. I am not sure why being able to float would be positive and if it is that light how would it hold up to storm like winds. Or how it would produce food.

Construction is an interesting industry. There is always something new being developed and regular joes like me have to learn how to use it and install it. A new self-heating concrete is being developed. Not all new innovations work out I remember when Poly Butylene plumbing pipe and aluminum instead of wood was the big thing. Both have faded out due to unforeseen issues.
we lad a big freeze on super bowl sunday while i was out of town so every pipe under my house broke. i put in polybutalene . try to find a plumber, or pipe, after a freeze that deep and widespread in the southern gulf states. anyway my hardware guys had enough polybutalene and fittings. took me a few hours to put it in.

the guy i sold the house to later sued me over that polybutalene, i had to get him up to the newest code by a master plumber in the settlement.

my dad had aluminum wiring in his house once. i guess that was the code in like the 1970s or so.

i did manage to avoid the killer drywall.

Well it hasn't been all that long ago (historically speaking) since they rediscovered concrete in 1756.....With Portland Cement coming along in 1824......It had been lost since around 480 with the split of the Roman Empire.

Forum List

Back