A Necessity, NOT A Luxury

My position is exactly as I stated in the root post.
So far you've just been complaining about greed.
The health care industry is a money machine, a legalized scam, a price gouging racket, and is pricing themselves way above what the average person can afford. It is actually bankrupting many people. The problem is one of over-charges, duplicate charges, exaggerated services, Medicare and Medicaid fraud and corruption, and price fixing.

I don't think doctors, or the insurance companies, or the pharmaceutical companies are any more greedy than any of the rest of us. We've just passed a lot of stupid laws that let them manipulate their markets. The same thing would happen in any market facing the idiocy we apply to health care.

How would I fix it? I would ask Congress to make all in the health care profession to justify charges. And, if they can't legally do that, then at least they could expose the scam to the public by naming names, naming corporations, naming companies, naming hospitals, naming doctors, and naming pharmaceuticals. I would ask Congress to do whatever to shame those that are bankrupting this nation. Health care cost has gotten totally out of hand. No one can justify $1,800.00 a day for a tiny filthy hospital room. No one can justify charging $5.00 for a single aspirin. No one can justify $20.00 for a breakfast consisting of powdered eggs and wheat toast.

We have the highest cost and poorest health care among industrialized nations. That data is available online. Americans spend more on health care than almost any other country. The data is readily available online. Americans are going bankrupt and getting poorer because of the rising cost of proper health care. It's gotten so bad, that even Mr. Obama attempted to fix it. But, as we all know now, his attempt failed big time. I say make those in the health care industry justify cost and charges. Shame them if necessary. Bring attention to them by exposing them publicly.

Well, shaming them won't do squat. That leaves government price controls. How would you enforce them? How would you punish people who pay their doctors too much?

The health care industry is a money machine, a legalized scam, a price gouging racket, and is pricing themselves way above what the average person can afford. It is actually bankrupting many people. The problem is one of over-charges, duplicate charges, exaggerated services, Medicare and Medicaid fraud and corruption, and price fixing.

I don't think doctors, or the insurance companies, or the pharmaceutical companies are any more greedy than any of the rest of us. We've just passed a lot of stupid laws that let them manipulate their markets. The same thing would happen in any market facing the idiocy we apply to health care.

How would I fix it? I would ask Congress to make all in the health care profession to justify charges. And, if they can't legally do that, then at least they could expose the scam to the public by naming names, naming corporations, naming companies, naming hospitals, naming doctors, and naming pharmaceuticals. I would ask Congress to do whatever to shame those that are bankrupting this nation. Health care cost has gotten totally out of hand. No one can justify $1,800.00 a day for a tiny filthy hospital room. No one can justify charging $5.00 for a single aspirin. No one can justify $20.00 for a breakfast consisting of powdered eggs and wheat toast.

We have the highest cost and poorest health care among industrialized nations. That data is available online. Americans spend more on health care than almost any other country. The data is readily available online. Americans are going bankrupt and getting poorer because of the rising cost of proper health care. It's gotten so bad, that even Mr. Obama attempted to fix it. But, as we all know now, his attempt failed big time. I say make those in the health care industry justify cost and charges. Shame them if necessary. Bring attention to them by exposing them publicly.

Well, shaming them won't do squat. That leaves government price controls. How would you enforce them? How would you punish people who pay their doctors too much?
Well, no one likes bad publicity, nor do they like negative headlines. It might not work, but at least it would expose them for what they really are. It might not do any good, but at least I would be in favor of trying it. I don't believe that government price control is the answer either. First, it would be almost impossible to figure out a fair price considering the zillions of variables that would come into play. Secondly, price control would only encourage them to find a way around it by breaking down blanket charges into itemized charges. There are ways around price controls. And, I would never punish the people. Why would I? The people are the ones being price gouged. It would be silly to punish patients, just ridiculous. Besides, who would over pay? People can't afford proper health care as it is, so why would anyone in their right mind over pay?

Well, no one likes bad publicity, nor do they like negative headlines. It might not work, but at least it would expose them for what they really are. It might not do any good, but at least I would be in favor of trying it. I don't believe that government price control is the answer either. First, it would be almost impossible to figure out a fair price considering the zillions of variables that would come into play. Secondly, price control would only encourage them to find a way around it by breaking down blanket charges into itemized charges. There are ways around price controls. And, I would never punish the people. Why would I? The people are the ones being price gouged. It would be silly to punish patients, just ridiculous. Besides, who would over pay? People can't afford proper health care as it is, so why would anyone in their right mind over pay?
So what would you do? If you don't want price controls, and shaming them didn't work (the concept seems kind of laughable, to be honest), what's left?

So what would you do? If you don't want price controls, and shaming them didn't work (the concept seems kind of laughable, to be honest), what's left?
Ask Congress to make them justify cost and charges. Just ask them to show justification, the same as they did on public TV with the oil industry when gasoline went to over $4.00 a gallon several years ago. The execs had to appear before Congress and explain the prices of gasoline. It was done through a live feed for all to see. I watched it and could tell they didn't have answers, they just did a lot of double talk and danced around the questions being asked. The exec that spoke for Exxon said that she had an obligation to the stock holders to make as much money for them as she could. She basically told them to take and like it, there's was nothing they could do about it. Exxon is very lucky that they are one of the main suppliers, or people listening to her words would have done anything to buy non-Exxon related products.

Ask Congress to make them justify cost and charges. Just ask them to show justification, the same as they did on public TV with the oil industry when gasoline went to over $4.00 a gallon several years ago. The execs had to appear before Congress and explain the prices of gasoline. It was done through a live feed for all to see. I watched it and could tell they didn't have answers, they just did a lot of double talk and danced around the questions being asked. The exec that spoke for Exxon said that she had an obligation to the stock holders to make as much money for them as she could. She basically told them to take and like it, there's was nothing they could do about it. Exxon is very lucky that they are one of the main suppliers, or people listening to her words would have done anything to buy non-Exxon related products.
Well, that's just pathetic.

How so? Care to explain? What would you do? Have a better idea?

Because it would be completely ineffectual.

If had my druthers, I'd deregulate the whole mess. Recognizing that as not currently politically viable, at the federal level, I'd do as little as possible. Maybe tax insurance benefits as income and use the commerce clause to overrule state interference with free trade related to health care and insurance sales.

Those are the prices you get when the Government and Insurance Companies are involved. Remove them especially the government and watch prices begin to level of at what the market will pay.
And don't forget everyone else in the medical profession. They all have a hand in it.

Scuze me. But INSURANCE is not part of the Health Care Profession.
Well, if health insurance is not a apart of the health care industry, I certainly don't know what is. So, even though medical bills are processed through health insurance companies, they're not a part of the health care industry? Gee, I certainly never heard of that before. Exactly how are they not a part of the health care industry?

They same way they're not part of the car care industry. You don't see the distinction?
Car care industry? What? Health care insurance ( medical insurance ) is a part of the health care industry. Are you saying that doctors, hospitals, labs, clinics, etc. do not bill through insurance companies? If they are not a part of the health care industry, why are we paying for health insurance? Please explain. And, how did cars get into this conversation?
They don't bill through them, they bill TO them.

The same way an auto repair shop bills the insurance of the auto. They do not BILL through the insurance, they bill TO it.

In other words, the insurance is OUTSIDE the healthcare complex.

If had my druthers, I'd deregulate the whole mess. Recognizing that as not currently politically viable, at the federal level, I'd do as little as possible. Maybe tax insurance benefits as income and use the commerce clause to overrule state interference with free trade related to health care and insurance sales.
Well, that's just pathetic

And don't forget everyone else in the medical profession. They all have a hand in it.

Scuze me. But INSURANCE is not part of the Health Care Profession.
Well, if health insurance is not a apart of the health care industry, I certainly don't know what is. So, even though medical bills are processed through health insurance companies, they're not a part of the health care industry? Gee, I certainly never heard of that before. Exactly how are they not a part of the health care industry?

They same way they're not part of the car care industry. You don't see the distinction?
Car care industry? What? Health care insurance ( medical insurance ) is a part of the health care industry. Are you saying that doctors, hospitals, labs, clinics, etc. do not bill through insurance companies? If they are not a part of the health care industry, why are we paying for health insurance? Please explain. And, how did cars get into this conversation?
They don't bill through them, they bill TO them.

The same way an auto repair shop bills the insurance of the auto. They do not BILL through the insurance, they bill TO it.

In other words, the insurance is OUTSIDE the healthcare complex.
Health care insurance is very much INSIDE the industry. My guess is that 95% plus of health care billing goes through insurance companies. That hardly puts them outside the health care industry.

LOL.... fair enough.

But my view is that the best thing government can do to help is to remove the impediments they've injected into the health care market via ill-considered regulation. And if states want to provide health care for their citizens, it should be done in the way we've handled public education. This keeps things localized and less of a centralized target for manipulation.

That said, I'm not one to say that the entire problem is one of over-regulation. A large part of the solution is for health care consumers to wise up, and recognize that insurance isn't a way to get out of paying for health care, that it actually makes health care cost a lot more in the long run. We need to come to the understanding that the we're better off with the least amount of insurance we can get by on.

What's sad is that this realization was beginning to gain traction, especially with the younger generations. I'm convinced that's why the health insurance industry joined forces with Congress to push for the mandate.

LOL.... fair enough.

But my view is that the best thing government can do to help is to remove the impediments they've injected into the health care market via ill-considered regulation. And if states want to provide health care for their citizens, it should be done in the way we've handled public education. This keeps things localized and less of a centralized target for manipulation.

That said, I'm not one to say that the entire problem is one of over-regulation. A large part of the solution is for health care consumers to wise up, and recognize that insurance isn't a way to get out of paying for health care, that it actually makes health care cost a lot more in the long run. We need to come to the understanding that the we're better off with the least amount of insurance we can get by on.

What's sad is that this realization was beginning to gain traction, especially with the younger generations. I'm convinced that's why the health insurance industry joined forces with Congress to push for the mandate.
Yes, Congress is well connect to and paid by the health care industry. Many Lobbyists funnel untold $millions into the hands of members of Congress. Yes, votes are bought on the floors of Congress. Yes, Congress is on the take from many industries. Yes, Congress is corrupt and for sale. But, In my opinion, those in the health care profession, those that actually provide the medical treatments and services, are pushing prices to astronomical heights via price gouging. No one forces doctors to charge $300.00 for a 5 minute office visit that consist of nothing more than conversation. No one forces hospitals to charge $1,800.00 and upwards per day for a tiny filthy room. No one forces hospitals to charge $5.00 per aspirin when a bottle of 100 cost less than $2.00 at any drug store in America.

Those in the health care industry know that we need their services. They know that we can not operate on ourselves. They know that we can't buy our own MRI machine and use it when needed. They know that we can't do our own blood work and analysis. We are at their mercy. And, knowing how much we need them and depend on them, they take full advantage of the situation. Pharmaceuticals are making an astronomical profit off prescription medication. My main point is that price gouging by those in the health care industry is pricing citizens out of the market and causing many to file bankruptcy to keep from losing their homes and life savings. And, this is happening to those with health care insurance also. People are being milked dry by those that charge outrageous and insane fees for such simple things as office visits and lab tests. Those in the health care industry should be shamed on national TV every single day. Newspapers should run full page stories listing names of doctors and hospitals that engage in price gouging. The internet should be flooded with names and facilities that legally rob the public.

The president and members of Congress should call them before a panel, ask them to explain their justification for charging $5.00 for an aspirin, and allow the public to hear their answer. We should shame them into realizing the economic damage their doing to this nation and her citizens. Some spend more on health care than on a mortgage. I spend more each month on premiums than I do on my truck payment ( Ford F-150 ). In addition, I have co-pays, deductibles, and some prescription cost. And, that's with Cigna as my major medical, and Medicare as secondary coverage. And many people are not financially able to have the coverage that I am blessed with. Many have deductibles that range well above $5,000 and $6,000, plus additional co-pays that must be met. Some elderly are paying hundreds of dollars for blood pressure pills each month, in addition to what Medicare and Medicaid pays.

The bottom line is we can't continue to labor at a job just to stay healthy. If prices continue to rise at the present rate, a lot of working folks will be working just to pay premiums, deductibles, and co-pays for themselves and their family. At some point, the health care industry is going to price the average citizen completely out of the market. I do not have a crystal ball, but the present trend leads to financial ruin for many Americans.

LOL.... fair enough.

Yes, Congress is well connect to and paid by the health care industry. Many Lobbyists funnel untold $millions into the hands of members of Congress. Yes, votes are bought on the floors of Congress. Yes, Congress is on the take from many industries. Yes, Congress is corrupt and for sale. But, In my opinion, those in the health care profession, those that actually provide the medical treatments and services, are pushing prices to astronomical heights via price gouging. No one forces doctors to charge $300.00 for a 5 minute office visit that consist of nothing more than conversation. No one forces hospitals to charge $1,800.00 and upwards per day for a tiny filthy room. No one forces hospitals to charge $5.00 per aspirin when a bottle of 100 cost less than $2.00 at any drug store in America.

The problem is that no one is demanding lower prices. I don't think most people with health insurance even think about how much their doctor charges. If we were paying for health care out of pocket, a doctor's rates would be one of the first things we'd ask about. But we're not. So we don't. And honestly, if you're insured, you pretty much always have incentive go to with the more expensive option.

I don't think doctors are any greedier than anyone else. But with insured customers they have the luxury of no demand for lower prices. Any professional granted such a perk would take advantage of it to some extent.

The president and members of Congress should call them before a panel, ask them to explain their justification for charging $5.00 for an aspirin, and allow the public to hear their answer.

This is more or less what insurance companies are trying to do. That's why they refuse to cover many kinds of treatments, or cut back on the amounts they'll cover for different treatmenst. But every time they do, customers (understandably) howl, and turn to their state regulators to mandate this or that coverage. If anything, we should shame ourselves for having such childish expectations. We can't demand the very best health care and expect to get it on the cheap.

The bottom line is we can't continue to labor at a job just to stay healthy. If prices continue to rise at the present rate, a lot of working folks will be working just to pay premiums, deductibles, and co-pays for themselves and their family. At some point, the health care industry is going to price the average citizen completely out of the market. I do not have a crystal ball, but the present trend leads to financial ruin for many Americans.

Not unless they're extremely stubborn or stupid. Before this happens, most people will realize insurance just isn't a good deal, and that they're really better off paying cash for their health care and bargaining with doctors for cheaper rates.

Forum List

Back