A different question on Roy Moore

Assuming that Moore wins, the senate should:

• Attempt to eject Moore after he has been seated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, I think that a lot has been lost in the noise with the Roy Moore allegations. Those against Moore tend to point out that Moore is being tried in the court of public opinion and not in an actual court so the veracity of the evidence is immaterial. Those supporting him point out that there are no charges (as there cannot be) and that the yearbook as well as the timing of the stories is questionable. All of this is background noise to me considering that I am not an Alabama voter so I do not have any influence in the matter. What does interest me though is what happens after the election. If Moore looses than it is a moot point, and a devastating blow for the republicans as they loose a crucial seat in the senate. If he wins, well, it is still bad for the republicans because they are going to have to decide what to do with Moore.

Now, there has been a lot of talk about not seating him but as far as I can tell, the senate does not have the power to keep him from taking his seat.
Why the Law Might Not Allow the Senate to Expel Roy Moore

This also deals with expelling him as well. There are some things to take into consideration here:

Moore is innocent. This is not a conjecture. It is not a theory. It is not an opinion. It is legal FACT. Moore is innocent of the accusations because there can be no trial and, ergo, no conviction for those acts.

IF Moore wins then he has been 'tried in the court of public opinion' and the people have spoken with the full knowledge of the allegations against him.

So, given Moore is innocent according to the law and the people of Alabama chose him (again assuming he wins) I do not see how the senate has the power or the standing to eject him from his seat. They are going to have to accept him as a senator and deal with the allegations IMHO and they should. No matter how distasteful one may or may not find the situation the voters will have decided and they should have the final say unless the constitution specifically states otherwise.

What do you think the senate should do or even can do?
There is, in fact, a solid reason why it should matter to you.

Should Moore be defeated on the basis of unsubstantiated accusations from four decades ago, then no Republican Senator will ever be safe from this political tactic. It will, in essence, established that courts are unnecessary and elections are only necessary as an observance of the 'old ways'.

We will have returned to Plymouth colony era of governance as found in Salem, MA at the turn of the 16th century.

:lol:

Your histrionics aside, what do you believe should happen, if Moore wins the election and the Senate votes to expel him?
They are not histrionics. If the left pulls this off, do you really think they won't be doing this in every election in which a Republican has a commanding lead?

If Moore is expelled from the Senate, it won't be because of "the left".

What should happen if Moore wins is he takes his seat in the U.S. Senate and begins doing the people's business. I would be saying he should do the State of Alabama's business, but that was screwed up with the passage of the 17th Amendment.

That is quite clearly not an answer to the question I asked you.

If Moore wins the election, and is subsequently expelled from the Senate, what do you think should happen?

How do you expect the Senate to get a 2/3 majority to expel Moore if the Democrats do not go along?

Are you really that bad a math?
Seriously?

No one anywhere said anything about the democrats not voting to expel him. It is still not because of the left that he gets expelled. The republicans control the senate and it is up to them if they want to expel more or not. The democrats are a given - of course they are going to vote to expel a senator on moral grounds if his own party is trying to expel him.

So, I think that a lot has been lost in the noise with the Roy Moore allegations. Those against Moore tend to point out that Moore is being tried in the court of public opinion and not in an actual court so the veracity of the evidence is immaterial. Those supporting him point out that there are no charges (as there cannot be) and that the yearbook as well as the timing of the stories is questionable. All of this is background noise to me considering that I am not an Alabama voter so I do not have any influence in the matter. What does interest me though is what happens after the election. If Moore looses than it is a moot point, and a devastating blow for the republicans as they loose a crucial seat in the senate. If he wins, well, it is still bad for the republicans because they are going to have to decide what to do with Moore.

Now, there has been a lot of talk about not seating him but as far as I can tell, the senate does not have the power to keep him from taking his seat.

This also deals with expelling him as well. There are some things to take into consideration here:

Moore is innocent. This is not a conjecture. It is not a theory. It is not an opinion. It is legal FACT. Moore is innocent of the accusations because there can be no trial and, ergo, no conviction for those acts.

IF Moore wins then he has been 'tried in the court of public opinion' and the people have spoken with the full knowledge of the allegations against him.

So, given Moore is innocent according to the law and the people of Alabama chose him (again assuming he wins) I do not see how the senate has the power or the standing to eject him from his seat. They are going to have to accept him as a senator and deal with the allegations IMHO and they should. No matter how distasteful one may or may not find the situation the voters will have decided and they should have the final say unless the constitution specifically states otherwise.

There are millions and millions of Alabamians who have diddled kids. Sexually assaulting children is a way of life there.

Moore has a lock on the child molester voting bloc.

You'll see on December 12.
That is a pretty pathetic statement about almost 5 million people. Talk about broad brushing.

Must admit, I don't spend much time in AL except for trips to Gulf Shores. Never got the vibe that millions upon millions were molesting children.

There are millions and millions of Alabamians who have diddled kids. Sexually assaulting children is a way of life there.

Moore has a lock on the child molester voting bloc.

You'll see on December 12.
That is a pretty pathetic statement about almost 5 million people. Talk about broad brushing.
I was stationed in the Deep South for quite a few years. I rarely met a woman who had not had sex when they were underaged with an older man. Quite a few of the women's first love were preachers.

Most of the women in the Deep South had their first child before the age of 18.

Kids raising kids. Quite a lot of kids in the Deep South aren't even raised by their mothers. They are passed around from relative to relative.

"Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed" is still a truism in the Deep South. You hear it a lot, usually accompanied by a big donkey laugh from the fucking hicks.

You'll see. On December 12.

There is, in fact, a solid reason why it should matter to you.

Should Moore be defeated on the basis of unsubstantiated accusations from four decades ago, then no Republican Senator will ever be safe from this political tactic. It will, in essence, established that courts are unnecessary and elections are only necessary as an observance of the 'old ways'.

We will have returned to Plymouth colony era of governance as found in Salem, MA at the turn of the 16th century.

Your histrionics aside, what do you believe should happen, if Moore wins the election and the Senate votes to expel him?
They are not histrionics. If the left pulls this off, do you really think they won't be doing this in every election in which a Republican has a commanding lead?

If Moore is expelled from the Senate, it won't be because of "the left".

What should happen if Moore wins is he takes his seat in the U.S. Senate and begins doing the people's business. I would be saying he should do the State of Alabama's business, but that was screwed up with the passage of the 17th Amendment.

That is quite clearly not an answer to the question I asked you.

If Moore wins the election, and is subsequently expelled from the Senate, what do you think should happen?

How do you expect the Senate to get a 2/3 majority to expel Moore if the Democrats do not go along?

Are you really that bad a math?
Seriously?

No one anywhere said anything about the democrats not voting to expel him. It is still not because of the left that he gets expelled. The republicans control the senate and it is up to them if they want to expel more or not. The democrats are a given - of course they are going to vote to expel a senator on moral grounds if his own party is trying to expel him.

Again, it takes a 2/3 majority. If every DEM voted "no', what would be the result?

Forum List

Back