A Battle for the Soul of our Nation

Quantumbuc

Rookie
Feb 14, 2016
There is no question that the rolling tide of popularity among Republicans for Donald Trump is a signal that many Americans have finally had their fill of corrupt or ineffective politicians and the “same old, same old.” Under ideal conditions, I think this would be something that would unyieldingly sweep across party lines. However, the divide between the parties is greater than ever, as the values of each are just too far apart. But far more frightening than that, I have come to realize that this is not be merely a war of partisan values, but truly a battle for the soul of our nation.

It is a given that a good portion of Trump’s message is that the system is broken and requires someone not beholden to the deep pockets and controlling interest groups. This clearly differentiates him from every other candidate on both sides. They all say it as well, but he is truly the one who most represents it. And I wholeheartedly agree that he is correct about this. But it has also become frighteningly apparent that Donald Trump is the champion of “the Ugly American.” The values he eschews appeal to the basest of America’s fear, hatred and bigotry. While some of his followers “forgive” him for this and think it secondary to his true message, I see far more people than I ever believed possible publicly sharing his view on women, Muslims, Mexicans and any other “them” that he decides to target. Via social media, I see people (including some I thought I knew) spewing messages of hatred as one would share a daily prayer. Those that previously kept to the shadows and quietly seethed with loathing towards those of different race, religion, gender or sexual preference are now emboldened to be “loud and proud” about it. Being a bully has become, for them, in vogue. And they credit Trump with giving them the strength to come out of the closet.

As an Independent voter, I had never really bought into the concept that members of the two parties truly had different values. I saw it as mostly talking points to win votes, and ultimately found the politicians to be pretty much interchangeable. But this is different. I don’t believe that either Democratic candidate offers much in the way of change from the political norm, but at least the values expressed are those that I would expect and can get behind. Trump’s message has been, “God bless America, and nobody else.” Is this what we have truly become, or really want to be? A nation that says “Do unto others BEFORE they do unto us?” That (to paraphrase Mr. Trump from just this week) not only is torture acceptable, but that he’d bring back waterboarding and “a hell of a lot worse?” Unabashedly speaking your mind is a dual-edged sword. When a typical politician says something outlandish, we just accept that it is being said for shock value, and that they probably don’t mean it. But Trump makes it clear that he believes in what he says. By his own admission, these ARE his values.

Some say that my belief that we can and must be better than our enemies is naive optimism. That may be true, but what is the cost of the alternative? Are we truly ready to become what others already consider us: global bullies or, even worse, the world’s next great Evil? Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. I pray that we, as a nation, see the wisdom in those word before it is too late, and allow us to step away from the abyss.

Donald Trump is a rabble rouser, like Caesar, he knows how to make himself so popular with the people they are willing to throw out democratic institutions. And the damage Caesar caused to the Republic outlasted his untimely death. After him, the Senate was a rubber stamp to the Emperors.

Note I did not use more controversial modern examples.

feedanimals.jpg

History is full of examples of crises that turned the people temporarily crazy, which caused an extremist leader to take charge. And the result has always been bad for that country.

History is full of examples of crises that turned the people temporarily crazy, which caused an extremist leader to take charge. And the result has always been bad for that country.

Obama being the latest example...

There is no question that the rolling tide of popularity among Republicans for Donald Trump is a signal that many Americans have finally had their fill of corrupt or ineffective politicians and the “same old, same old.” Under ideal conditions, I think this would be something that would unyieldingly sweep across party lines. However, the divide between the parties is greater than ever, as the values of each are just too far apart. But far more frightening than that, I have come to realize that this is not be merely a war of partisan values, but truly a battle for the soul of our nation.

It is a given that a good portion of Trump’s message is that the system is broken and requires someone not beholden to the deep pockets and controlling interest groups. This clearly differentiates him from every other candidate on both sides. They all say it as well, but he is truly the one who most represents it. And I wholeheartedly agree that he is correct about this. But it has also become frighteningly apparent that Donald Trump is the champion of “the Ugly American.” The values he eschews appeal to the basest of America’s fear, hatred and bigotry. While some of his followers “forgive” him for this and think it secondary to his true message, I see far more people than I ever believed possible publicly sharing his view on women, Muslims, Mexicans and any other “them” that he decides to target. Via social media, I see people (including some I thought I knew) spewing messages of hatred as one would share a daily prayer. Those that previously kept to the shadows and quietly seethed with loathing towards those of different race, religion, gender or sexual preference are now emboldened to be “loud and proud” about it. Being a bully has become, for them, in vogue. And they credit Trump with giving them the strength to come out of the closet.

As an Independent voter, I had never really bought into the concept that members of the two parties truly had different values. I saw it as mostly talking points to win votes, and ultimately found the politicians to be pretty much interchangeable. But this is different. I don’t believe that either Democratic candidate offers much in the way of change from the political norm, but at least the values expressed are those that I would expect and can get behind. Trump’s message has been, “God bless America, and nobody else.” Is this what we have truly become, or really want to be? A nation that says “Do unto others BEFORE they do unto us?” That (to paraphrase Mr. Trump from just this week) not only is torture acceptable, but that he’d bring back waterboarding and “a hell of a lot worse?” Unabashedly speaking your mind is a dual-edged sword. When a typical politician says something outlandish, we just accept that it is being said for shock value, and that they probably don’t mean it. But Trump makes it clear that he believes in what he says. By his own admission, these ARE his values.

Some say that my belief that we can and must be better than our enemies is naive optimism. That may be true, but what is the cost of the alternative? Are we truly ready to become what others already consider us: global bullies or, even worse, the world’s next great Evil? Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. I pray that we, as a nation, see the wisdom in those word before it is too late, and allow us to step away from the abyss.
Nonsense.

A good portion of Trump's message is ignorance, arrogance, and bigotry – his is a 'campaign' which seeks to exploit the very worst of human nature: fear, stupidity, and hate.

And Trump neither reflects nor represents a majority of Americans, he represents a minority of 'angry' republicans who share Trump's ignorance, bigotry, and hate.

Forum List

Back