A ban on autos? Major cities consider going carless

The only place where that could work now is Paris. They have by far the finest Metro system on the planet. You can get from any point to any point in the city within 30 minutes. Until you can do that in every city it simply won't work. More green dreams that will amount to nothing.

I've said for a long time that if the enviro-fascists had their way we'd all be driving horse and buggies again. It looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

Horses and buggies if you are narrow minded and have never been to a city that functions via various transportation means including car, bike share (which saves parking hassle and I can beat any car to a destination in a downtown area--so time is hardly a factor), massive urban transit, bus, walking, skateboard etc.

Why would anyone think banning cars in a downtown area results in horses and buggies? Someone who cannot think if it wasn't for 20th century technology to coddle your urges and inane views. You think humanity reached its zenith in transportation in 1928 or 2014? Give me a break.

In 22nd century cars will not run on gasoline and we won't have a time parking them anymore. They will be tailored to new standards and will likely be available through simple sharing programs. Believe it or not but sharing works.

Last edited:
The only place where that could work now is Paris. They have by far the finest Metro system on the planet. You can get from any point to any point in the city within 30 minutes. Until you can do that in every city it simply won't work. More green dreams that will amount to nothing.

Because of people who do not care.

I don't drive, so I'd support this, if there was any logistical way it could possibly work.

But I certainly can't think of a way it could.

Hunter S. Thompson suggested something like this back in the seventies.

only a mental case would support this idea.

Not going to happen......but we will start seeing a mega-tax put on cars that enter the cities. You wanna go to the city in your car will mean, "FUCK YOU.....then you will pay $20.00 each way!!"

Last edited:

Only?

That could work in many places.

Amsterdam. Rome. New York. San Francisco.

Actually most major cities could probably get along without cars.

I've said for a long time that if the enviro-fascists had their way we'd all be driving horse and buggies again. It looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

Excellent idea, if it can be implemented.

You would have to triple the mass transit capacity of most cities before trying this.

Imagine everyone entering NYC by car now entering on the mass transit lines.

That's how the majority of New Yorkers commute. :cool:

Only?

That could work in many places.

Amsterdam. Rome. New York. San Francisco.

Actually most major cities could probably get along without cars.

Not unless they triple the capacity of the transit system first.

only a mental case would support this idea.

Not going to happen......but we will start seeing a mega-tax put on cars that enter the cities. You wanna go to the city in your car will mean, "FUCK YOU.....then you will pay $20.00 each way!!"

It's pretty close to that now.

How effin stupid...

Taking away peoples freedom and ability to get places.

Progressivism at its worst. This is what progressives live for. In the hands of a progressive, freedom is an endangered concept.

An extreme but often necessary step in some places like China, India, and the US where pollution is reaching crisis levels. By definition, a city with a well-developed public transport system doesn't need privately owned vehicles as getting around isn't a challenge. As electric cars catch on and get cheap enough to be widely used, could see allowing those or other 'zero polluting' vehicles back in. Horse? Not exactly zero-polluting, nor even safe and sensible as their feces risk disease.

To get the public to accept such extreme measures as car-bans, an incentive needs to come from the government/city like tax breaks and other motivators. Can't just bans cars without creating a massive burden unless the concern over pollution is so major such a ban is easy to justify.

Forum List

Back