85,000 jobs lost last month

Employment figures is the market lag in a recession. The news is disappointing but not catastrophic. If the economy is gaining jobs by early summer and the health insurance industry reform act has passed, my party is going to remain a distant minority in Congress.

What if we have not started gaining jobs by summer or the number is so small as to make it insignificant?
Say we gain 200 jobs in july.

I think my party has a chance to pick up quite a number of seats then. I hope our reps and senators will be from centrist to rightofcenter; I am tired of the whacko teabag right.

Hopefully they put all those jobs in the blue states. Red states have already whined about how they want government out of their lives. Just, leave them alone.

Current numbers in context

1262967159.jpg

1262967170.jpg

longjobs1.gif

No question about it. This Bush recession is one of the worst ever.

President Obama sure has his job cut out for him. If he gets us out of this one he would have to be considered one of the greatest presidents of all time

People, it is not the Bush or Obama Recession. No one political party gave us the Housing Bubble or the Stock Market Bubble or the commodity bubble that still has not burst. It was the stupidity of both parties that signed off on legislation that allowed these bubbles in the first place.

The fact remains that no ONE political Party will provide the solutions to the problems presently destroying our country. We need to work together and right now that is not being done. Time to have a massive change in perspective and attitude, or we will NEVER climb out of this horrific Depression.

If things continue to decay at the present rate, the people will take their guns to the streets in the next few months. THAT will be a reality soon. We need to take action now.

Three Million a month losing their jobs is not recovery. It is not even a hint of recovery. I know that Toro says that it is a lagging indicator and that everything is getting better. Do not believe Toro. He is delusional or something.

As I have been saying for years, Increasing Unemployment in a Service Sector Economy (like ours is) is a LEADING INDICATOR. WE ARE COLLAPSING!

People, it is not the Bush or Obama Recession. No one political party gave us the Housing Bubble or the Stock Market Bubble or the commodity bubble that still has not burst. It was the stupidity of both parties that signed off on legislation that allowed these bubbles in the first place.

In case it hasn't already been pointed out in this thread, it took a Democratic Prez (Clinton) to sign legislation repealing Glass-Steagall, which was brought to him by a Republican Congress.

By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer Christopher S. Rugaber, Ap Economics Writer – 2 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The economy lost more jobs than expected in December while the unemployment rate held steady at 10 percent, as a sluggish economic recovery has yet to revive hiring among the nation's employers.

The Labor Department said Friday that employers cut 85,000 jobs last month, worse than the 8,000 drop analysts expected.

A sharp drop in the labor force, a sign more of the jobless are giving up on their search for work, kept the unemployment rate at the same rate as in November. Once people stop looking for jobs, they are no longer counted among the unemployed.

When discouraged workers and part-time workers who would prefer full-time jobs are included, the so-called "underemployment" rate in December rose to 17.3 percent, from 17.2 percent in October. That's just below a revised figure of 17.4 percent in October, the highest on records dating from 1994.

Economy loses 85K jobs, unemployment rate steady - Yahoo! News

85,000 lost last month........that really sucks

How does it stack up to recent trends?

Dec 09 - 85,000
Nov 09 + 4000
Oct 09 -127,000
Sept 09 -139,000

How does it compare to the last two months of Bush?

Dec 08 -681,000
Jan 09 -741,000

Source USA Today

don't cherrypick your numbers. and January 09 was only ~60% bush and then obama took office (yeah yeah i Know it was his first week and a half).

Why not be honest and post the numbers from January 2008 till january 2010?
Wishful thinking!

I have noticed all along that NPR has a mostly positive lean on the economy. Especially the Nightly Business Report.
NPR is a propaganda outlet for liberalism...controlled by kool-aid drinkers.

Typical loser reaction. NPR handles across the board material from the news through viewpoints through the discussion programs. What it does not tolerate looniness from left or right. This link will help you improve your writing: OPINION: 'Learn To Speak Tea Bag' : NPR

You, Rab, are government subsidized, and don't you forget it.

So sayeth Jake, King of the Unsubstantiated Statement.

You want to bear the full cost of your own schooling or childrens?

You want to bear the full cost of electrification for your home?

You want to bear the full cost of removing the waste, sewage, and garbage from your home?

You truly are ignorant.

You, Rab, are government subsidized, and don't you forget it.

So sayeth Jake, King of the Unsubstantiated Statement.

You want to bear the full cost of your own schooling or childrens?

You want to bear the full cost of electrification for your home?

You want to bear the full cost of removing the waste, sewage, and garbage from your home?

You truly are ignorant.

In fact I do.
What is your point, you ignorant pissant?
Oh yeah, you don't have one.

No, you don't. All of those activities are subsidized by your neighbors, you, and the taxing policy of the government. For you to suggest that you are self sufficient is a lie, Rabbi, and you know it.

Forum List

Back