85,000 jobs lost last month

By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer Christopher S. Rugaber, Ap Economics Writer – 2 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The economy lost more jobs than expected in December while the unemployment rate held steady at 10 percent, as a sluggish economic recovery has yet to revive hiring among the nation's employers.

The Labor Department said Friday that employers cut 85,000 jobs last month, worse than the 8,000 drop analysts expected.

A sharp drop in the labor force, a sign more of the jobless are giving up on their search for work, kept the unemployment rate at the same rate as in November. Once people stop looking for jobs, they are no longer counted among the unemployed.

When discouraged workers and part-time workers who would prefer full-time jobs are included, the so-called "underemployment" rate in December rose to 17.3 percent, from 17.2 percent in October. That's just below a revised figure of 17.4 percent in October, the highest on records dating from 1994.

Economy loses 85K jobs, unemployment rate steady - Yahoo! News

85,000 lost last month........that really sucks

How does it stack up to recent trends?

Dec 09 - 85,000
Nov 09 + 4000
Oct 09 -127,000
Sept 09 -139,000

How does it compare to the last two months of Bush?

Dec 08 -681,000
Jan 09 -741,000

Source USA Today

He also managed to get unemployment to double digits.

We have had a net loss in jobs since 1999.

We haven't had a month where we created jobs since late 2008.

This sucks.

Yep and we have been losing ground on jobs needed in the USA for the last decade.

This sucks for a long time.

NAFTA is partly to blame (no im not blaming clinton as he couldn't pass nafta without congress)

So many things but the decimation of our manufacturing base, in my opinion, is our true economic problem.

We haven't had a month where we created jobs since late 2008.

This sucks.

Yep and we have been losing ground on jobs needed in the USA for the last decade.

NAFTA is partly to blame (no im not blaming clinton as he couldn't pass nafta without congress)

So many things but the decimation of our manufacturing base, in my opinion, is our true economic problem.

Yes and we all particiapted in that by buying lots of cheap Chinese stuff. Had we not bought it the retailers would not have imported it.

the nation got caught up in the If it is good for business/the market it is good for america mindless mantra.

What problem, the stock market is doing great.

Last edited:
By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer Christopher S. Rugaber, Ap Economics Writer – 2 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The economy lost more jobs than expected in December while the unemployment rate held steady at 10 percent, as a sluggish economic recovery has yet to revive hiring among the nation's employers.

The Labor Department said Friday that employers cut 85,000 jobs last month, worse than the 8,000 drop analysts expected.

A sharp drop in the labor force, a sign more of the jobless are giving up on their search for work, kept the unemployment rate at the same rate as in November. Once people stop looking for jobs, they are no longer counted among the unemployed.

When discouraged workers and part-time workers who would prefer full-time jobs are included, the so-called "underemployment" rate in December rose to 17.3 percent, from 17.2 percent in October. That's just below a revised figure of 17.4 percent in October, the highest on records dating from 1994.

Dec 09 - 85,000
Nov 09 + 4000
Oct 09 -127,000
Sept 09 -139,000

Dec 08 -681,000
Jan 09 -741,000

Source USA Today

don't cherrypick your numbers. and January 09 was only ~60% bush and then obama took office (yeah yeah i Know it was his first week and a half).

Why not be honest and post the numbers from January 2008 till january 2010?

Yes and we all particiapted in that by buying lots of cheap Chinese stuff. Had we not bought it the retailers would not have imported it.

the nation got caught up in the If it is good for business/the market it is good for america mindless mantra.
ah not all of us.

I've paid a lot of extra money over the years to make sure I buy stuff made here. If I can't i try to specifically avoid china due to things such as their labor policies and what they have done in tibet.

Dec 09 - 85,000
Nov 09 + 4000
Oct 09 -127,000
Sept 09 -139,000

Dec 08 -681,000
Jan 09 -741,000

Source USA Today

don't cherrypick your numbers. and January 09 was only ~60% bush and then obama took office (yeah yeah i Know it was his first week and a half).

Why not be honest and post the numbers from January 2008 till january 2010?

Be my guest

ah not all of us.

I've paid a lot of extra money over the years to make sure I buy stuff made here. If I can't i try to specifically avoid china due to things such as their labor policies and what they have done in tibet.

Not all of us true. But the vast majority.
Now most all we can find on the shelves is made in China, Malasya, etc.

Heck the only aftermarket muffler I could find for my Subaru a couple of years ago was made in Israel. very annoying, my Subie now goes yada yada yada yada wile driving down trhe road.

Yep I am guilty as well. I take responsibility for my actions.

Last edited:

ah not all of us.

Not all of us true. But the vast majority.
Now most all we can find on the shelves is made in China, Malasya, etc.

Heck the only aftermarket muffler I could find for my Subaru a couple of years ago was made in Israel. very annoying, my Subie now goes yada yada yada yada wile driving down trhe road.

Yep I am guilty as well. I take responsibility for my actions.

I work in the auto industry (i build custom exhausts in fact and do performance upgrades) and I buy all my steel (pipe, mufflers) from canada, the stuff from china is about 30% cheaper but you do get what you pay for. We buy all our suplies from made in the USA companies.

USA steel tubing is non-existent on the market, along with most style of muffler. They are all either Hencho en Mexico or Made in Canada.

@RightWinger...im not the one who made the obvious cherrypicked post so the onus should be on you...but I'll do it, give me 2 min

The 7.2 million drop in payrolls over the past two years has been the biggest as a percentage of all jobs since World War II was ending in 1944-45.

The Obama administration is under pressure after about half of the jobs lost during the recession occurred since the president’s inauguration in January of last year.

“This is a very stubborn recession,” U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis said in an interview today on Bloomberg Television. “We’re going to have to work harder to create jobs.”

In another government boost, the Census Bureau will hire 1.15 million temporary workers in the first half of the year to conduct the population count that takes place every 10 years. That hiring may boost payrolls by a peak of 700,000 in May before those workers begin getting dismissed in June, according to a forecast by economist Lori Helwing at BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research in New York.

Payrolls in U.S. Drop 85,000; Unemployment at 10% (Update3) - BusinessWeek

So, they're going to count jobs that last two to four months. August's numbers should be pretty grim.

Does anyone think the reason the war is not ending is because of the recession?
If we enbded Iraq we would put close to 1/4 million contractors out of work in Iraq alone.
Not counting the troops and the arms industry.

Current numbers in context

1262967159.jpg

1262967170.jpg

longjobs1.gif

Does anyone think the reason the war is not ending is because of the recession?
If we enbded Iraq we would put close to 1/4 million contractors out of work in Iraq alone.
Not counting the troops and the arms industry.

It crossed my mind, but I'd prefer to think Obama didn't consider that point.

I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were all bright talk about how the figures would really show the economy was out of recession etc etc. I thought, uh uh.
So instead of 8k lost, there were 85k lost, a miscalculation of 10 times. This is about the same margin of error as stimulus predictions and every other policy prediction from the Obama White House.
Why is anyone still believing these clowns??

When you figure that three million a month are filing Unemployment Insurance claims, and the Department of Labor says that these UI claimants usually are on Unemployment Insurance 29 months, you can see how totally ludicrous the Federal Numbers are

Let see 12 times those three million are 36 Million a year. If it takes a little over half a year of them to land a job, that means something like 20 million or more are out of work at any given time. Does that suggest that the Federal Numbers are total shit to you?

I know for a fact that any survey that determines that only 85 thousand jobs were lost if not interviewing real Americans and real companies.

It is going to hell so damned fast now that the riots should start in a few months. Are you prepared to defend yourselves???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

There is going to be a lot of people who will die in the coming chaos.

Fine I was wrong again. I said that we wouldn't lose jobs in december yet we lost more than 7x the number of jobs we lost in november :(

This sucks.

Obamanomics is failing at creating jobs :(

Employment Situation Summary

Obama is not even trying to create jobs. He has no real interest in it, because of the Big payoff he and the Democratic Party expect to get in a few weeks when they tank the stock market. There is a solid reason for all of the insane lies coming out of Washington, and it is not just lousy counting by the Department of Labor.

I have noticed all along that NPR has a mostly positive lean on the economy. Especially the Nightly Business Report.

Thank God that recession thing is over!!

*Ponders whether we have any politicians left who are prepared to do the hard stuff in order to fix the shit that these people have left us in.*

this time last yer, 700k jobs were lost. Think about that....700 thousand jobs lost in a month this time last year.
yup, I would say we are going in the right direction.

Go Obama.

Forum List

Back