85,000 jobs lost last month

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer Christopher S. Rugaber, Ap Economics Writer – 2 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The economy lost more jobs than expected in December while the unemployment rate held steady at 10 percent, as a sluggish economic recovery has yet to revive hiring among the nation's employers.

The Labor Department said Friday that employers cut 85,000 jobs last month, worse than the 8,000 drop analysts expected.

A sharp drop in the labor force, a sign more of the jobless are giving up on their search for work, kept the unemployment rate at the same rate as in November. Once people stop looking for jobs, they are no longer counted among the unemployed.

When discouraged workers and part-time workers who would prefer full-time jobs are included, the so-called "underemployment" rate in December rose to 17.3 percent, from 17.2 percent in October. That's just below a revised figure of 17.4 percent in October, the highest on records dating from 1994.

Economy loses 85K jobs, unemployment rate steady - Yahoo! News

Thank God that recession thing is over!!

*Ponders whether we have any politicians left who are prepared to do the hard stuff in order to fix the shit that these people have left us in.*

Thank God that recession thing is over!!

*Ponders whether we have any politicians left who are prepared to do the hard stuff in order to fix the shit that these people have left us in.*

I doubt it and the people would revolt if they did anyway.

I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were all bright talk about how the figures would really show the economy was out of recession etc etc. I thought, uh uh.
So instead of 8k lost, there were 85k lost, a miscalculation of 10 times. This is about the same margin of error as stimulus predictions and every other policy prediction from the Obama White House.
Why is anyone still believing these clowns??

The false rosy picture of the economy started several years ago and still continues.

The payrolls report showed the anticipated revision of the November job losses to a gain of 4,000. So then the average monthly job losses of Q1 at 694,000 per month, versus Q4 to 69,000 per month: Can be counted as a fairly healthy green shoot.

In Castroville, CA. it might even count as a pretty hefty artichoke. And as for famous Napa-Sonoma-Mendocino California counties: There is easily said greenery in the vines. And then there is infamous Napa-Sonoma-Mendocino California counites: Potentially waking up to it all.

Soon there will be February 5, 2009, revisions again.

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(Sedona, AZ, need famous and infamous stuff, too: In Abundance! Need Help! Count Many Teepees . . .and new medicine lodges, like on coast!)

Last edited:
Lack of confidence in the economic recovery led employers to shed a more-than-expected 85,000 jobs in December even as the unemployment rate held at 10 percent. The rate would have been higher if more people had been looking for work instead of leaving the labor force because they can't find jobs.

The sharp drop in the work force — 661,000 fewer people — showed that more of the jobless are giving up on their search for work. Once people stop looking for jobs, they are no longer counted among the unemployed.

New strategy, get people to give up looking and we can take them off the list.

U-6 unemployment up to 17.3%, was 14% when Obama took office.

under FDR unemployment fell 3 points second year in office from when he took over, doesn't look like O will come close to matching that

For any who may have wondered, I was called a doomer by the Bushies for my negative view on our economy and it's future outlook.
I did not change this attitude when Obama took office unlike those on the right that went from all is fine to why doesn't Obama fix it.

there are posters on here who can verify that.

For any who may have wondered, I was called a doomer by the Bushies for my negative view on our economy and it's future outlook.
I did not change this attitude when Obama took office unlike those on the right that went from all is fine to why doesn't Obama fix it.

Verify what?? If you were doomsaying in 2005 then you were a wanker. If you were doing it in 2008 that was a no-brainer.
Who on "the right" (whoever that is) was saying "all is fine" while Bush was in office? Many of us were opposed to his policies of extending TARP bailout money to GM and Chrysler, as well as many other moves he made that eviscerated any pretense of his being a conservative.

Verify what?? If you were doomsaying in 2005 then you were a wanker. If you were doing it in 2008 that was a no-brainer.
Who on "the right" (whoever that is) was saying "all is fine" while Bush was in office? Many of us were opposed to his policies of extending TARP bailout money to GM and Chrysler, as well as many other moves he made that eviscerated any pretense of his being a conservative.

Many? Well you hid so well.

I can.

We dont always agree but USC was sure as shit predicting everything this economy did and he was spot on.

Last edited:

Maybe you should stop hiding your face in your ass and pick up a newspaper or something?
Auto Bailout Prospects Sour as Top Republicans Oppose Measure - Bloomberg.com

Maybe you should stop hiding your face in your ass and pick up a newspaper or something?
Auto Bailout Prospects Sour as Top Republicans Oppose Measure - Bloomberg.com

I was actually thinking a bit before TARP, GM bailout, etc. We were already in the depth by then.
remember back that far?
When Bush was spending like a drunken sailor. Remember the bush tax rebates?
Remember the ohh this minor economic adjustment will be over by christmas? What was that a couple of years ago?

The economy is sound?

By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer Christopher S. Rugaber, Ap Economics Writer – 2 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The economy lost more jobs than expected in December while the unemployment rate held steady at 10 percent, as a sluggish economic recovery has yet to revive hiring among the nation's employers.

The Labor Department said Friday that employers cut 85,000 jobs last month, worse than the 8,000 drop analysts expected.

A sharp drop in the labor force, a sign more of the jobless are giving up on their search for work, kept the unemployment rate at the same rate as in November. Once people stop looking for jobs, they are no longer counted among the unemployed.

When discouraged workers and part-time workers who would prefer full-time jobs are included, the so-called "underemployment" rate in December rose to 17.3 percent, from 17.2 percent in October. That's just below a revised figure of 17.4 percent in October, the highest on records dating from 1994.

Fine I was wrong again. I said that we wouldn't lose jobs in december yet we lost more than 7x the number of jobs we lost in november :(

This sucks.

Obamanomics is failing at creating jobs :(

Employment Situation Summary

Forum List

Back