81% of Americans Favor Legalizing Medical Marijuana:

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Eight in 10 Americans favor legalizing medical marijuana: poll | Raw Story

Certainly looks like the Medical Marijuana debate is over.

The medical marijuana debate among American voters is over.

Eight in 10 Americans -- 81% overall -- support allowing doctors to prescribe cannabis, according to an ABC News/Washington Post poll.

That's up from just 69% in 1997, the last time the two firms asked that question, and from 75% in 2003, according to Gallup.

The main divide among American voters today is how the medical community should be enabled to doll out the drug. The most recent state to allow medical marijuana -- New Jersey -- has the most strenuous controls found anywhere in the nation.

A slim majority, 56 percent, support differing to a doctor's discretion on who should be prescribed marijuana, according to the poll.

In spite of the apparent national mandate for medical marijuana, just 14 states allow it.

I was going to post my own opinion of this, but then I got high. :razz:

Its really not constitutional for the federal government to illegalize that. It technichally has no power to do so.

Good, then liberals can spend their time getting high and expecting the rest of us to work to support them.

Yes, because nothing says Conservatism and limited Government like throwing people in the slammer for 10-15 for Pot. Ahh, the smell of hypocrisy in the morning sure is fresh, or is that afternoon where you are? :eusa_whistle:

I hope the laws cahnge soon.

It would change soon, at least where you are living, if you guys would abandon the federal government's unconstitutional status of national legal authority and allow each seperate state to have that role.

Good, then liberals can spend their time getting high and expecting the rest of us to work to support them.

Yes, because nothing says Conservatism and limited Government like throwing people in the slammer for 10-15 for Pot. Ahh, the smell of hypocrisy in the morning sure is fresh, or is that afternoon where you are? :eusa_whistle:

Do you know what smells worse? The fact that most liberals spent the last 150 years turning the federal government into a national government and then complain about the fact the same government puts you in jail to long for minor drug use.

It seems like you guys wanted the big gun but then shot yourself in the foot with it.

"81% of Americans Favor Legalizing Medical Marijuana"

Personally I don't advocate legalizing medical marijuana, I advocate legalizing marijuana period, why should only sick people get to get high?

Personally I don't advocate legalizing medical marijuana, I advocate legalizing marijuana period, why should only sick people get to get high?

Yes. I consider marijuana the "all-purpose drug" with no real lasting side-effects. I mean this thing is sent straight from God himself. Why haven't we legalized this?

What the Hell is wrong with America?

Do you know what smells worse? The fact that most liberals spent the last 150 years turning the federal government into a national government and then complain about the fact the same government puts you in jail to long for minor drug use.

It seems like you guys wanted the big gun but then shot yourself in the foot with it.

Fact: The biggest supporters of the War on Drugs were Ronald Reagan and his other so called Conservatives. You cannot come to terms with that, so you're lashing out against me as a Liberal for no good reason.

Again, you're proving time and time again that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm a Pro-Gun (Pro Second Amendment), Pro School Voucher, Pro Death Penalty, Anti Patriot Act/FISA Liberal. You have no idea who you're bitching to. Hell, I'm probably more Libertarian/Conservative than you in some cases.

Legalizing Medical Marijuana is the first major step to legalizing Marijuana in general. But I'd much rather see Marijuana legalized. Or at the very least, decriminalized in the very near future.

Lol. Well when 81% of this nation pretty much agrees on something it's hard to get partisan. Somehow you people managed to do it.

Thing is, you can say what you want it ain't the leftists standing in the way of this one... it's the Christian Right... that likes to say they believe in "small government" to have some legitimacy with the rest of the Republicans. The neo-coons... who want a big christian values government. Damn shame... because they have their influences in both parties.

The right needs to get rid of the "values voters" for the world to change.

And then the Republican and Democratic parties become one in the same. Your party hasn't exactly been kind to The Constitution, Hope. In fact, the most blatant Constitutional tramplings in the last thirty years have been carried out by your party. The Dems have a history of this, but your last administration made it clear that the GOP could care less about our founding documents as well. Your party also grew the scope and power of the federal government to never-before seen levels. Pot, Kettle, Black.

Amen. Preach it!

Lol. Well when 81% of this nation pretty much agrees on something it's hard to get partisan. Somehow you people managed to do it.

Thing is, you can say what you want it ain't the leftists standing in the way of this one... it's the Christian Right... that likes to say they believe in "small government" to have some legitimacy with the rest of the Republicans. The neo-coons... who want a big christian values government. Damn shame... because they have their influences in both parties.

Bottom line is, it's should be an issue for the states to decide and the Federal Government should have no say in it (since the Constitution doesn't explicitly give them the authority to do so).... it'll still end up being partisan but at least it'll be partisanship at the state and not the national level.

Bottom line is, it's should be an issue for the states to decide and the Federal Government should have no say in it (since the Constitution doesn't explicitly give them the authority to do so).... it'll still end up being partisan but at least it'll be partisanship at the state and not the national level.

Unfortunetly, while I agree it ain't a federal issue, it's still going to take a fight at the federal level... we need the feds to decriminalize it totally and back the Hell off of the issue in order for the states to have full reign over what happens.

It will be FAR easier to get marijuana totally legal state-wise then in the federal government in most states. The states where the religious right have the most influence... maybe not so much.

Forum List

Back