50 years after "I have a dream"....A Progress Report

And after slavery, Jim Crow, higher rates of incarceration, unfair justice and law system, Inner City schools being unfunded or barely, unfair hiring practices and unfair housing this surprises you why?

Maybe it's time we admitted our welfare programs don't work, and may actually be holding people down.

So what do you think should be done with welfare since there are more whites on it than any other demographic?

Eliminated from the federal government. and no sneaking in funding to the states under the disguise of something else in order to 'help' them pay for whatever welfare they would support with their constitution and law

So what do you think should be done with welfare since there are more whites on it than any other demographic?

47% of African-Americans participate in means-tested welfare programs, vs. 17% of whites. These policies therefore have a much bigger impact on blacks proportionally that on whites.

And the worst effect of welfare is the disincentive it creates to advance at work. Check out this graph:

welfare%20cliff.jpg
Beautiful graph but you seem to miss my point. There are more whites on welfare than Blacks. What happens to those whites when they change or eliminate welfare?

Who cares what the races are of the people who finally get booted from the easy meal ticket??

47% of African-Americans participate in means-tested welfare programs, vs. 17% of whites. These policies therefore have a much bigger impact on blacks proportionally that on whites.

And the worst effect of welfare is the disincentive it creates to advance at work. Check out this graph:

welfare%20cliff.jpg
Beautiful graph but you seem to miss my point. There are more whites on welfare than Blacks. What happens to those whites when they change or eliminate welfare?

Welfare creates a disincentive to advance at work, regardless of one's skin color. And I'm not saying anything about eliminating welfare, but it should be reduced on a dollar-to-dollar basis as one's wages climb.

No question that Dr King was one of our greatest American patriots. While the revolution he started removed the institutional barriers to racism, strong cultural barriers still hold blacks back

Racism is still there but is not the primary reason blacks have not entered the mainstream. Until black culture significantly changes, they will remain second class

yes, I know, we get it RW, and heres why it really doesn't/didn't and should not matter anymore;

August 27, 2013, 6:59 p.m. ET

John McWhorter: A Better Way to Honor Dr. King's Dream
The goal of the civil-rights movement was opportunity—not a 'post-racial' society.

snip-

"It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the Negro," King announced from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on Aug. 28, 1963. He was right, and America knew it. The following year, segregation was outlawed with the Civil Rights Act. The year after, President Lyndon Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act into law.

It is easy to forget what an awesome moral landmark it was for an oppressed group to force the larger society to outlaw barriers to its success. But the victory of the 1964 and 1965 laws had an even greater impact than prohibiting segregation and racial discrimination in voter registration: It changed the culture. Personal racist sentiment rapidly became socially proscribed. The Norman Lear sitcoms of the early 1970s, in which bigoted whites were regularly held up to ridicule, would have been unthinkable just 10 years before.

However, in the decades since the March on Washington, black America has been taken on a detour by too many self-described progressive black thinkers and leaders, whose quixotic psycho-social experiment they disguise as a continuation of the civil-rights movement. With segregation illegal and public racism considered a moral outrage, we black Americans are now told that we will not truly overcome until Americans don't even harbor private racist sentiment, until race plays not even a subtle role in America's social fabric.

In other words, our current battle is no longer against segregation or bigotry but "racism" of the kind that can be revealed only by psychological experiments and statistical studies.

This battle is as futile as seeking a world without germs. "We have come to the nation's capital to cash a check," King said. But the preacher was talking about being freed from "the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination"—not asking whether Americans are aware of skin color or are more likely to associate black faces with negative words in an experiment.[

John McWhorter: A Better Way to Honor Dr. King's Dream - WSJ.com

welfare%20cliff.jpg

Who cares what the races are of the people who finally get booted from the easy meal ticket??

I was talking to the person that used race regarding welfare. Did you read his post?

In the long run yes but there has to be buy in from all concerned.

Or we end the programs and let people proceed on merits, now that government has been legally color blind since the late 1960's.

Do you believe that true equality has been achieved in the workforce? I dont but I do believe in achieving on my own merits personally. My personal problem with AA is that no matter what kind of job you do someone will always disrespect you because you had to have assistance. I left the workforce because I was in a constant state of anger even though I personally never benefitted from AA. There was always some clown who thought I shouldnt be the position.

The workforce will sort itself out as long as the government is color blind, this includes the courts. Do you really think a business that is known to discriminate will have any future continuing in large scale business?

Today marks 50 years since Dr Kings "I have a dream" speech. What has gone well and what hasn't

The Good

1. We have elected a black President
2. Affirmative Action has been effective. More black representation in politics, doctors, lawyers, corporate executives, military officers, teachers, astronauts, sports managers and executives
3. More integrated neighborhoods and schools
4. Acceptance of interracial marriages
5. A rise in the black middle class
6. Elimination of laws and policies that exclude or segregate blacks

The Bad

1. A disintegration of the black family
2. A black culture that has discouraged advancement, education and strong familiy values
3. Gang and drug culture
4. Surge in incarceration rates of black males
5. 70% of blacks being born to single mothers
6. There is still prejudice. It is no longer openly expressed, but lingers in the shadows

I absolutely agree with 99.9% of RightWingers post. However, I would argue two points:

1. Affirmative Action was, in its time, relevent and a way to address disparities within certain opportunities. However, we now have built a system in which people of any color can advance to the level that they aspire and WORK for (asians, Hispanics, etc.). Affirmative Action causes, because of its inabilities to be flexible with the times, divisions based upon decades old truths.
2. A President should LEAD this nation toward Dr. Kings vision. A man should be judged on his CHARACTER and not the color of his skin. The President we have now, cannot get past the 'victim' status of blacks. If your leader assumes blacks are victims, treats them like victims, then they will maintain that staus. Dr. Ben Carson, Thomas Sowell, Herman Kain, JC Watts will be the first to tell you that they are NOT victims. They reap the success that they sowed.

[ With segregation illegal and public racism considered a moral outrage, we black Americans are now told that we will not truly overcome until Americans don't even harbor private racist sentiment, until race plays not even a subtle role in America's social fabric.

In other words, our current battle is no longer against segregation or bigotry but "racism" of the kind that can be revealed only by psychological experiments and statistical studies.

[[/I][/U][/B][/SIZE]

John McWhorter: A Better Way to Honor Dr. King's Dream - WSJ.com

and this is what repubs do. They claim the solution lies in something that cannot ever be done then blames usually the victims for its existence

Maybe it's time we admitted our welfare programs don't work, and may actually be holding people down.

Eliminated from the federal government. and no sneaking in funding to the states under the disguise of something else in order to 'help' them pay for whatever welfare they would support with their constitution and law

Are you saying that welfare should only be a state program? If so what happens if the state cant handle it? What happens to those people? Have you thought this all the way through?

Our society was broken
It needed to be fixed

We can all be thankful for Affirmative action. It did what it was supposed to do

Then end it.

Why? How does it affect you? Does it still happen?

Those poor white guys who are so damn oppressed need support people! :eusa_whistle:

Why? How does it affect you? Does it still happen?

Those poor black women who are so damn oppressed need support people! :eusa_whistle:\

Is my statement more offensive than yours, and if so, why?

I'm not even sure Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton really knew what MLKs dream was. They're too busy playing the race card getting themselves rich to help their fellow man.

Andrew Young was also there with MLK, what a different individual he is. One that deserves nothing but praise and respect. He made a difference, he continues to do so today. He understood the message.

The Bad

2. A black culture that has discouraged advancement, education and strong familiy values
3. Gang and drug culture
6. There is still prejudice. It is no longer openly expressed, but lingers in the shadows

Sounds like a black problem.

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

I so wish the far reactionary right would embrace this philosophy.

Or we end the programs and let people proceed on merits, now that government has been legally color blind since the late 1960's.

Do you believe that true equality has been achieved in the workforce? I dont but I do believe in achieving on my own merits personally. My personal problem with AA is that no matter what kind of job you do someone will always disrespect you because you had to have assistance. I left the workforce because I was in a constant state of anger even though I personally never benefitted from AA. There was always some clown who thought I shouldnt be the position.

The workforce will sort itself out as long as the government is color blind, this includes the courts. Do you really think a business that is known to discriminate will have any future continuing in large scale business?

You keep forgetting gender? I'm sure you are making it only about race and that's just an awful coinky dink. :eusa_shifty:

Today marks 50 years since Dr Kings "I have a dream" speech. What has gone well and what hasn't

The Good

1. We have elected a black President
2. Affirmative Action has been effective. More black representation in politics, doctors, lawyers, corporate executives, military officers, teachers, astronauts, sports managers and executives
3. More integrated neighborhoods and schools
4. Acceptance of interracial marriages
5. A rise in the black middle class
6. Elimination of laws and policies that exclude or segregate blacks

The Bad

3. Gang and drug culture

I absolutely agree with 99.9% of RightWingers post. However, I would argue two points:

1. Affirmative Action was, in its time, relevent and a way to address disparities within certain opportunities. However, we now have built a system in which people of any color can advance to the level that they aspire and WORK for (asians, Hispanics, etc.). Affirmative Action causes, because of its inabilities to be flexible with the times, divisions based upon decades old truths.
2. A President should LEAD this nation toward Dr. Kings vision. A man should be judged on his CHARACTER and not the color of his skin. The President we have now, cannot get past the 'victim' status of blacks. If your leader assumes blacks are victims, treats them like victims, then they will maintain that staus. Dr. Ben Carson, Thomas Sowell, Herman Kain, JC Watts will be the first to tell you that they are NOT victims. They reap the success that they sowed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/16/us/politics/15cnd-obama.html

We need fathers to realize that responsibility does not end at conception.”

“Too many fathers are M.I.A, too many fathers are AWOL, missing from too many lives and too many homes,” Mr. Obama said, to a chorus of approving murmurs from the audience. “They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.”

Obama: There's no longer time for excuses for black men

President Obama on Sunday told the graduating class at Morehouse College, the country's pre-eminent historically black college, there is "no time for excuses" for this generation of African-American men and that it was time for their generation to step up professionally and in their personal lives.

"We've got no time for excuses — not because the bitter legacies of slavery and segregation have vanished entirely; they haven't," Obama told the graduating class and their families who sat through intermittent rain and thunder. "It's just that in today's hyperconnected, hypercompetitive world, with a billion young people from China and India and Brazil entering the global workforce alongside you, nobody is going to give you anything you haven't earned."

Depends. I get the feeling that white people have had enough of any preferential treatment even if its only perceived and not actually true. Sounds good in theory but habits die hard and come back stronger and better prepared for opposition the next time.

What proof do you have to back up that statement?

LOL Try reading some history.

History has proof that a white employer in a private company hired someone based on skin color over someone who was more qualified that was African, Chinese, or Mexican?

There are countless examples of it throughout recent history. One of the reason AA was implemented. Please tell me you knew that?

Forum List

Back