230,000 guns stolen from "law abiding, responsible gun owners" every year

Status
Not open for further replies.
That few. Wow
Over 100,000 people are shot every year & very few are criminals.

wrong.....70-80% of shooting victims are other criminals......and as Americans use their legally owned guns to stop violent criminals 1,500,000 times a year....and you have yet to provide a link to your number.........can you do the math and tell us which number is bigger?

That few. Wow

your proof of that?

https://www.nap.edu/read/10881/chapter/3

"In 2000, over 48,000 victims suffered nonfatal gunshot wounds (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2001) and over 10,000 were murdered with a firearm (Federal Bureau of Investigation, 2001). Many more people, though not shot, are confronted by assailants armed with a gun. "

"Moreover, there are more suicides than homicides that are committed with firearms. And firearm-related accidents result in many serious injuries."

That few. Wow

your proof of that?

"In 2000, over 48,000 victims suffered nonfatal gunshot wounds (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2001) and over 10,000 were murdered with a firearm (Federal Bureau of Investigation, 2001). Many more people, though not shot, are confronted by assailants armed with a gun. "

"Moreover, there are more suicides than homicides that are committed with firearms. And firearm-related accidents result in many serious injuries."

You see...dumb ass....you can't cherry pick your CDC data...because someone will have gone through year by year showing you don't know what you are talking about....

Now.....
We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

Non fatal gun shot wounds.....by year.....they went down as far more Americans own and actually carry guns....you dumb ass.........

non Fatal gun accidents....
WISQARS Nonfatal Injury Reports
Non fatal gun injury stats from 1999......

Nonfatal and Fatal Firearm-Related Injuries -- United States, 1993-1997
CDC non fatal gun accident.....

1993... 104,390
1994... 89,744
1995... 84,322
1996... 69,649
1997... 64,207
2001.... 17,696

2002... 17,579

2003... 18,941

2004... 16,555

2005... 15,388

2006... 14,678

2007... 15,698

2008... 17,215

2009... 18,610

2010... 14,161

2011... 14,675

2012... 17,362

2013... 16,864

2014..... 15,928

Last edited:
That few. Wow

your proof of that?

They posted over 100,000 shot, you provide an old link stating 48,000.

Which is correct?

That few. Wow

your proof of that?

And suicide has nothing to do with gun ownership......

Fact Check, Gun Control and Suicide

There is no relation between suicide rate and gun ownership rates around the world. According to the 2016 World Health Statistics report, (2) suicide rates in the four countries cited as having restrictive gun control laws have suicide rates that are comparable to that in the U. S.: Australia, 11.6, Canada, 11.4, France, 15.8, UK, 7.0, and USA 13.7 suicides/100,000. By comparison, Japan has among the highest suicide rates in the world, 23.1/100,000, but gun ownership is extremely rare, 0.6 guns/100 people.

Suicide is a mental health issue. If guns are not available other means are used. Poisoning, in fact, is the most common method of suicide for U. S. females according to the Washington Post (34 % of suicides), and suffocation the second most common method for males (27%).

Secondly, gun ownership rates in France and Canada are not low, as is implied in the Post article. The rate of gun ownership in the U. S. is indeed high at 88.8 guns/100 residents, but gun ownership rates are also among the world’s highest in the other countries cited. Gun ownership rates in these countries are are as follows: Australia, 15, Canada, 30.8, France, 31.2, and UK 6.2 per 100 residents. (3,4) Gun ownership rates in Saudia Arabia are comparable to that in Canada and France, with 37.8 guns per 100 Saudi residents, yet the lowest suicide rate in the world is in Saudia Arabia (0.3 suicides per 100,000).

Third, recent statistics in the state of Florida show that nearly one third of the guns used in suicides are obtained illegally, putting these firearm deaths beyond control through gun laws.(5)

Fourth, the primary factors affecting suicide rates are personal stresses, cultural, economic, religious factors and demographics. According to the WHO statistics, the highest rates of suicide in the world are in the Republic of Korea, with 36.8 suicides per 100,000, but India, Japan, Russia, and Hungary all have rates above 20 per 100,000; roughly twice as high as the U.S. and the four countries that are the basis for the Post’s calculation that gun control would reduce U.S. suicide rates by 20 to 38 percent. Lebanon, Oman, and Iraq all have suicide rates below 1.1 per 100,000 people--less than 1/10 the suicide rate in the U. S., and Afghanistan, Algeria, Jamaica, Haiti, and Egypt have low suicide rates that are below 4 per 100,000 in contrast to 13.7 suicides/100,000 in the U. S.

Then you should really oppose car ownership, since cars are used in 99.999999% of every crime.....

So I suppose that means you want to regulate guns as cars are regulated, then? So mandatory registration and insurance? Learner's permits and gun tests? Getting your guns inspected and the tags renewed every year?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Dude it's not a secret. Are you saying you have proof teachers weren't brainwashing kids and forcing them to protest?

Then it should be easy for you to provide proof of your claim that teachers forced the kids to march on a Saturday.

And me proving a negative isn't how debate works. You made the allegation, you back it up.

Allow their gun to be stolen? The whole idea of stealing is that someone takes something without be allowed to. :lol:

Yes, allow. Bringing a gun into your home is a choice. That choice has responsibilities and accountability with it. Bringing a gun into your home allows that gun to be stolen by thieves...and 230,000 are stolen every year from people exactly like you. Then, you're so irresponsible that you don't even report your gun stolen 90% of the time. You people cannot even get an A when it comes to responsibly informing the police when your weapons disappear.

Of course, the idea that not buying a gun will protect a person and their family because that gun cannot be stolen is pretty insane, as well.

Actually, no. That makes total sense. Because you can protect yourself and your family with other things that don't get stolen and used by thieves in other crimes.

Of course, the idea that not buying a gun will protect a person and their family because that gun cannot be stolen is pretty insane, as well.

Actually, no. That makes total sense. Because you can protect yourself and your family with other things that don't get stolen and used by thieves in other crimes.

Well, it's like a volcano.

"Hey guys, you can protect yourself from this volcano with this sheet of special material"

"Or, I could just get a long way away from the volcano, then there's no hard."

Get rid of the guns, and there's less need to protect yourself.

In a country which apparently already has more than 300 million guns in it, and a country in which the right to own guns is protected by the Constitution, disarming gun owners is a huge task..

We've done more impossible things before, like put a man on the moon. Surely we can figure out this. I believe in our ingenuity and creativity as a nation.

Also, if you offer a financial incentive for turning in your weapons, you not only get the weapons off the street but you stimulate the economy as well. When presented with the choice of either keeping the gun or getting paid 5 or 10 times the value of the gun, most if not all people will opt for the cash. Since the average gun owner owns 8 guns, and if you offer $5K per gun, that's $40K. You mean to tell me you couldn't use $40K more than your gun? You could use that $40K as a downpayment on a home in a safer area, you could use a fraction of it to install a home security system (why everyone doesn't have one is beyond me), stronger locks, a property fence...they even have these things that you can buy for like $50 that prevent door kick-ins (the most common way thieves enter homes is through the front door, kicking it in).

A gun doesn't prevent home break ins and nearly all guns in the hands of criminals are stolen from homes.

Why would you voluntarily increase the supply of guns for thieves to steal? Is that common sense?

I find it extremely unlikely an amendment nullifying the second will pass any time soon, and without that gun owners cannot simply be disarmed.

I don't. Look what happened in Wisconsin this past Tuesday; an NRA-backed Conservative judge running for re-election was trounced by a liberal, anti-gun female candidate. First time in 23 years that a liberal has won a seat on the WI State Supreme Court.

There is a blue wave coming, and the Democrats have made crystal clear what their plans are; All Conservatives have done is tow the line for the NRA which people identify as corrupt and in the pocket of the gun industry.

So, gun control is great and everything. How are you going to keep firearms out of criminals hands? Wouldn't it be easier just keep them out of EVERYONE'S hands? Doesn't that seem rather... obvious? We don't NEED guns in this country anymore than a fish needs a bicycle. Abolish the 2nd amendment.

I agree. Gun ownership is a weird and deadly fetish.

Breaking and entering is illegal.

Most all guns in the hands of criminals are stolen from homes.

Let that sink in.

Most all guns in the hands of criminals are stolen from homes.

So you buy a gun to protect your home from criminals armed with guns they stole from homes.

If you can't see the insanity of that, then you're actively trying not to.

I am not responsible for the acts of anyone other than myself

Wrong. You made a choice to join the gun owners when you brought a gun into your home. Therefore you bear responsibility for adding that gun to the supply of guns for thieves to steal. So you are responsible, as far as I'm concerned, for your gun at all times and for whatever happens to your gun and with your gun. That means you bear responsibility if your gun is stolen and used by criminals. You have chosen to make yourself a part of a group that all made the choice to make it that much easier for a criminal to get a gun.

If you can steal any of my guns I will give them all up.

Well, I have no need, want, or desire to steal your guns. But just because one of your guns hasn't been lost or stolen yet doesn't mean the possibility doesn't exist that they can be in the future.

Every day you have those guns in your house you increase the chances and odds that they will be stolen and/or lost. Or that you'll sell it to someone shady because you need the quick cash. It happens all the time and it's how 230,000 guns end up in the hands of criminals every. freaking. year.

In the time it took me to write this post, another 2 or 3 guns have just been stolen.

..we have a lot stolen in our city
..the NY prisoners that escaped got their gun from an unoccupied house
..I got into an accident with someone and what do you know?--the other guy starts telling me how he had his gun stolen from his car..what are the chances??!!--the 1st accident I had in about 5 years

here's another popular case:
Radio station KQED reported Woychowski said he put the semi-automatic handgun in a backpack hidden behind the reclined driver's seat of his personal SUV.
A federal agent whose stolen handgun was used to kill a woman on a San Francisco pier testified Thursday that he was confident the weapon had been stored securely in his SUV
Kate Steinle murder trial: Agent testified he secured gun that was later used in shooting

Yup. This is what I'm talking about. I don't even think law enforcement should be allowed to carry guns. They're just as reckless with them as the general public.

Yeah, that's why you oppose gun ownership...

Why do you support it, knowing that nearly all guns in the hands of criminals come from the homes of "responsible gun owners"?

I am not responsible for the acts of anyone other than myself

Wrong. You made a choice to join the gun owners when you brought a gun into your home. Therefore you bear responsibility for adding that gun to the supply of guns for thieves to steal. So you are responsible, as far as I'm concerned, for your gun at all times and for whatever happens to your gun and with your gun. That means you bear responsibility if your gun is stolen and used by criminals. You have chosen to make yourself a part of a group that all made the choice to make it that much easier for a criminal to get a gun.

If you can steal any of my guns I will give them all up.

Well, I have no need, want, or desire to steal your guns. But just because one of your guns hasn't been lost or stolen yet doesn't mean the possibility doesn't exist that they can be in the future.

Every day you have those guns in your house you increase the chances and odds that they will be stolen and/or lost. Or that you'll sell it to someone shady because you need the quick cash. It happens all the time and it's how 230,000 guns end up in the hands of criminals every. freaking. year.

In the time it took me to write this post, another 2 or 3 guns have just been stolen.
I didn't "join" anyone.

And tell you what the day any of my guns get stolen I'll sell my house and give you the profit.

And as part of the bet I want you to hold your breath until it happens

Which, if I'm not mistaken means that 99.9% are NOT stolen. That's really good!

LOL!

That's 230,000 stolen every year, not in the aggregate. Which means over the last 40 years, at least 9 million guns have ended up in the hands of criminals that they took from homes.

So you buy a gun to protect your home from criminals armed with guns they stole from homes.

That's insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back