2012, the issues, the politics, the cliches.

out of curiosity,

1) whats the industry? (i dont need the company name just general industry)
2) how long ago did they receive their college degrees?
3) how old are those with the experience vs.the one with college degrees?

i would say there is probably a substantial age gap between the two. if its greater than 4 or 5 years, that more than makes up for the time it takes to earn a degree.

1) Tech
2) 1-3 years
3) ages are not on resumes - If you were a professional, you would know that

based on job history and the amount of years in the work force, you can usually speculate age. so in essence your probably comparing a 23-24 year old against someone in their 30's, not exactly apples to apples

and certain tech jobs you dont need a degree such as software engineering and website design.

but try getting a job in any form of engineering (mechanical, aerospace, civil etc) without a degree. good luck

Not really... age is not easy to determine... resumes are shortened... some older experience left off...

I generally choose not to hire college trained... I prefer military experience, even if fresh out of service over college and X number of years in the work force... I have found that the majority of college educated ask for more for no reason, do not have the work ethic (never taught) and tend to overthink theoretical or book solutions rather than take action and using work wisdom...

And your assumption on mechanical etc is also ill advised... know many in the field, even in the government, with no college...

Most every job in the tech field, you can get a degree that is related... and in most every case, the information/education obtained is absolutely worthless

1) Tech
2) 1-3 years
3) ages are not on resumes - If you were a professional, you would know that

based on job history and the amount of years in the work force, you can usually speculate age. so in essence your probably comparing a 23-24 year old against someone in their 30's, not exactly apples to apples

and certain tech jobs you dont need a degree such as software engineering and website design.

but try getting a job in any form of engineering (mechanical, aerospace, civil etc) without a degree. good luck

Not really... age is not easy to determine... resumes are shortened... some older experience left off...

I generally choose not to hire college trained... I prefer military experience, even if fresh out of service over college and X number of years in the work force... I have found that the majority of college educated ask for more for no reason, do not have the work ethic (never taught) and tend to overthink theoretical or book solutions rather than take action and using work wisdom...

And your assumption on mechanical etc is also ill advised... know many in the field, even in the government, with no college...

Most every job in the tech field, you can get a degree that is related... and in most every case, the information/education obtained is absolutely worthless

if you had read my previous posts, a military education through the services is just about equal an college education in terms of knowledge. getting any type of education whether college, military or trade school far trump those with only a high school education.

and try getting a job at any engineering company with an engineering degree, thats the minimum requirement, you cant walk in with a hs diploma and even get considered these days. (the only exception is if you had been working for many many many years in the field) anyone in their 20's or early 30's gets no consideration.

Is it possilbe for there to be general agreement on the real problems facing us today? And from there to begin to debate potential solutions critically, looking outside the box of ideological purity?
Fair enough. I'm pragmatic. To start a substantive discussion, what are the "real problems" you see facing the country today?

Sorry about the delay, the Mrs. and I went to SFMOMA for a showing of the Steins Collection of Matisse, Picasso, Cezanne, Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec and others. Sadly, they were out of the headphones so I looked, enjoyed but know not much more about Art than before our outing, however, the burger at the Burger Bar (in Macy's at Union Square) was one of the best I've ever had. Expensive, but really tasty. So what I didn't learn about early 20th C. Art I supplanted with early 21st C. burger knowledge, something I'll likely enjoy as much as a priceless painting.

Okay, what are the "real problems" facing our nation today.

1. Slow economy, high unemployment;

2. Deficit spending and an increasing debt;

3. Foreign entanglements;

4. The brain drain, our school are failing;

5. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

if you had read my previous posts, a military education through the services is just about equal an college education in terms of knowledge. getting any type of education whether college, military or trade school far trump those with only a high school education.

and try getting a job at any engineering company with an engineering degree, thats the minimum requirement, you cant walk in with a hs diploma and even get considered these days. (the only exception is if you had been working for many many many years in the field) anyone in their 20's or early 30's gets no consideration.

My first job was engineer without a college degree.. my baby brother is an engineer and has been for 3 years, he is now age 26... NO COLLEGE degree....

You, sir... are full of shit assumptions

This pic summarizes the major issue: Obama Made Things Worse.

boedicca-albums-mo-more-boedicca-s-stuff-picture3612-updated-unemployment-stimulus-graph.png

Aren't there enough "it's all Obama's fault"? There are plenty of threads for you to poison with partisan crap, please go away.

You asked a question. She answered it. Calling someone partisan is a laugh coming from you. Now suddenly it isn't about Obama anymore, even though he's on the ballot. Please.

The main issue is the economy. It's the economy, stupid.

We live in interesting times. The upcoming election will decide the quality of life for the next generation of Americans as the people will pick a new House of Representatives, one-third of the Senate and a President who will guide us until January 2017.

Since the election of Ronald Reagan our politics have been sorely divided along ideological lines, as the two major parties seek to fundamentally change America. The issues we face today have changed very little over the course of our history as a nation; today, unfortunately, the animosity amonst us maybe as severe as at anytime in our history, save for Civil War era.

Every week or so a new event clouds the landscape as the talking heads, blogosphere and 24/7 'news' issues BREAKING NEWS alerts, many times on salacious matters which have nothing to do with our real problems.

Is it possilbe for there to be general agreement on the real problems facing us today? And from there to begin to dabate potenital solutions critically, looking outside the box of ideological purity?

If we're speaking in terms of pure ideology; there is one political party; they disagree on very little in terms of the big issues and how to address them. Both are for expanding government, both are for expanding US influence overseas. Both live in fear of their PAC and main constituencies.

I doubt you'll find anybody really wishing to discuss the main problem that undercuts everything; the political parties and the politics that sees every issue as a football. Remember the "Culture of Corruption"? Political Football. "Swiftboat Veterans"? Political Football.

That main problem is that we have a Constitution that is over 200 years old--written before there were streetlights much less cars--and we're surprised that we're having problems unwilling to address the flaws therein.

My first job was engineer without a college degree.. my baby brother is an engineer and has been for 3 years, he is now age 26... NO COLLEGE degree....

the title of Engineer and being an actual engineer are not the same. Please let me know if either of you carry the Professional Engineering title after your name. Please tell me that you design buildings, or freeways, or overpasses, or Space Equipment, or Electrical System and a the stamp that reads your name with PE.

didnt think so....

Last edited:
We live in interesting times. The upcoming election will decide the quality of life for the next generation of Americans as the people will pick a new House of Representatives, one-third of the Senate and a President who will guide us until January 2017.

Since the election of Ronald Reagan our politics have been sorely divided along ideological lines, as the two major parties seek to fundamentally change America. The issues we face today have changed very little over the course of our history as a nation; today, unfortunately, the animosity amonst us maybe as severe as at anytime in our history, save for Civil War era.

Every week or so a new event clouds the landscape as the talking heads, blogosphere and 24/7 'news' issues BREAKING NEWS alerts, many times on salacious matters which have nothing to do with our real problems.

Is it possilbe for there to be general agreement on the real problems facing us today? And from there to begin to dabate potenital solutions critically, looking outside the box of ideological purity?

If we're speaking in terms of pure ideology; there is one political party; they disagree on very little in terms of the big issues and how to address them. Both are for expanding government, both are for expanding US influence overseas. Both live in fear of their PAC and main constituencies.

I doubt you'll find anybody really wishing to discuss the main problem that undercuts everything; the political parties and the politics that sees every issue as a football. Remember the "Culture of Corruption"? Political Football. "Swiftboat Veterans"? Political Football.

That main problem is that we have a Constitution that is over 200 years old--written before there were streetlights much less cars--and we're surprised that we're having problems unwilling to address the flaws therein.

In one sense you are spot on, not only do political parties see everything as a political football, so does the media which sadly controls what the hoi polloi believe.
Consider that our debt and deficit spending has been on-going for generations and not until this latest and deepest recession has the issue become part of the consciousness of most Americans. It's quite clear what the solution to the problem is, but no one in leadershiip is willing to stand up and tell the truth to the American people.

We are by some accounts spending two billion dollars a week fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, money which if put to use in the U.S. to employ Americans would do wonders in jump starting the economy. Real conservatives recognize we are not and cannot continue to police the world. The truth be told the only reason we are in the ME is for the oil; pull out and let nature take it's course.

We need to restrict immigration, at least until those Americans who want jobs are employed.

We need to fund community colleges and create an educated and trained workforce for the future.

We need to consider two-year universal service by all Americans between the age of 16-26, freedom isn't free and for the youngest of this group an opportunity to learn to work in a stuctured environment, and for the older members the experience to go along with the education and training they earned post high school.

We need to tax gasoline .50 cents a gallon, for all non-commercial use. Revenue earned should be by law spent to repair, replace, renew and build means of public transportation - heavy and light rail, flex fueled buses and commuter vans; government buidlings where practical should have solar panels on roofs and their fleet of vehicles should be hybrid or electric and our electric grid needs to be replaced.

the title of Engineer and being an actual engineer are not the same. Please let me know if either of you carry the Professional Engineering title after your name. Please tell me that you design buildings, or freeways, or overpasses, or Space Equipment, or Electrical System and a the stamp that reads your name with PE.

didnt think so....

Yeah.. I'm not a metalurgical engineer nor an aerospace engineer... but mine or my brother's design, construction, implementation, etc of systems don't make us engineers :rolleyes: .. and I have plenty of acronym letters after my name on resumes... the college degree or the piece of paper does not make you the engineer, asslick

You are one stubborn yet ignorant sonofabitch... and still full of shit assumptions

In one sense you are spot on, not only do political parties see everything as a political football, so does the media which sadly controls what the hoi polloi believe.
Consider that our debt and deficit spending has been on-going for generations and not until this latest and deepest recession has the issue become part of the consciousness of most Americans. It's quite clear what the solution to the problem is, but no one in leadershiip is willing to stand up and tell the truth to the American people.

We are by some accounts spending two billion dollars a week fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, money which if put to use in the U.S. to employ Americans would do wonders in jump starting the economy. Real conservatives recognize we are not and cannot continue to police the world. The truth be told the only reason we are in the ME is for the oil; pull out and let nature take it's course.

We need to restrict immigration, at least until those Americans who want jobs are employed.

We need to fund community colleges and create an educated and trained workforce for the future.

We need to consider two-year universal service by all Americans between the age of 16-26, freedom isn't free and for the youngest of this group an opportunity to learn to work in a stuctured environment, and for the older members the experience to go along with the education and training they earned post high school.

We need to tax gasoline .50 cents a gallon, for all non-commercial use. Revenue earned should be by law spent to repair, replace, renew and build means of public transportation - heavy and light rail, flex fueled buses and commuter vans; government buidlings where practical should have solar panels on roofs and their fleet of vehicles should be hybrid or electric and our electric grid needs to be replaced.

i agree with just about everything you mention hear, less the immigration thing, i agree it needs to be more regulated, but most americans are lazy and would not take a $9 an hour doing landscaping or working in the fields as a job.

Education is a HUGE must! although this will take an extremely long time as many American's dont value education anymore. Just look at who we elect. I'll use Obama as a key example. This is the man who attended Columbia for his undergrad in Political Science and gets a law degree from Harvard. (both Ivy league school and well respected). this resume along should allow the average person to gauge his intelligence on both a general level and in terms of understanding the law. then lets contrast this versus Sarah Palin. Palin has an undergraduate degree from the University of Idaho in Communications with an emphasis in Journalism. Now whether or not you personally like Obama or Palin is not the issue here, im looking solely at their academic credentials. This is a slam dunk, Obama clearly has the background in education that far exceeds Palins. Yet a large portion of Americans will overlook this and vote irrationally based on emotion not logic. they will simply say she was governor (although she quit before her first term was even over), yet she was elected to the office without the education to support such a high ranking position.

I had another argument on a thread here with a guy who says that he is willing to hire a person with a high school diploma over a person with a college degree of the same age because, they [with the hs diploma] have more "real world" experience. College kids are dumb and waste money only trying to party for a piece of paper. Yup, going to college is dumb....

the sad thing is that general public is extremely uneducated on most matters. they will simply only believe what they hear from a friend or on the news and no do their due diligence to actually research and understand the issues.

BTW, totally agree with your transportation argument as well. and i still dont understand why all new building (both residential and commercial) arent mandated to have solar panels on them.

Last edited:

didnt think so....

Yeah.. I'm not a metalurgical engineer nor an aerospace engineer... but mine or my brother's design, construction, implementation, etc of systems don't make us engineers :rolleyes: .. and I have plenty of acronym letters after my name on resumes... the college degree or the piece of paper does not make you the engineer, asslick

You are one stubborn yet ignorant sonofabitch... and still full of shit assumptions

so what you just said is that you are actually not an engineer. you just like to call yourself one... thanks for proving my point.

i know how to write, so now im also an author and journalist. i can draw, so im also an architect. you can call it whatever you want, if you work in construction, you probably do engineering working, but that doesnt make you an Engineer.

Last edited:

didnt think so....

So, when your done with the pissing contest why not comment on topic? Some of what I posted above is consistent with the point you make and have made over and over. Expand on the experience and training you recieved in the service. Can such a program and similar ones transfer to a non-military universal service committment for all youth 16-26? Or would you see this as the dreaded socialism?

didnt think so....

So, when your done with the pissing contest why not comment on topic? Some of what I posted above is consistent with the point you make and have made over and over. Expand on the experience and training you recieved in the service. Can such a program and similar ones transfer to a non-military universal service committment for all youth 16-26? Or would you see this as the dreaded socialism?

Why does it need to automatically transfer??

It is upon the individual ADULT to do it for themselves... jon the military, go to trade school, take a job that offers OJT, apprentice, do whatever the fuck you have to do... but it is not up to government to ensure it is there for you

didnt think so....

so what you just said is that you are actually not an engineer. you just like to call yourself one... thanks for proving my point.

i know how to write, so now im also an author and journalist. i can draw, so im also an architect. you can call it whatever you want, if you work in construction, you probably do engineering working, but that doesnt make you an Engineer.

No.. moron.. what I am saying is I don't have an engineering DEGREE... the piece of paper does not make you an engineer... it makes you a college graduate...

My title is indeed even a PRINCIPLE engineer...

As I said.. you continue to have bullshit assumptions...

You are about as ignorant as they come

No.. moron.. what I am saying is I don't have an engineering DEGREE... the piece of paper does not make you an engineer... it makes you a college graduate...

actually a piece of paper does make you an engineer because it certifies that you have had the education and been trained in that field. just as a piece of paper makes you a doctor, or a lawyer. i can call myself a doctor all i want but that doesnt make me one. you can believe all you want you are an engineer. but without a degree in engineering or a PE designation (which you can not take the PE test without a degree) you are still not an true engineer.

Engineering Requirements:
Is your goal to become an engineer in the United States? If it is, you must first earn a bachelor's degree in engineering and become licensed. Degree programs also provide you with the math and technical skills you'll need to design new products and processes, develop test procedures and read blueprints or schematics in your new career.
http://degreedirectory.org/articles...ments_for_Becoming_an_Engineer_in_the_US.html

PE Requirements

Education
In most cases it is required that an engineering program of 4 years or more be successfully completed (i.e. a bachelor’s degree is required). Usually the program needs to be accredited by the EAC/ABET, or the equivalent. Certified proof of graduation is generally required. Education received outside of the US can be evaluated and approved in some cases (NCEES Credentials Evaluations). Note that there is an effort underway to increase the amount of education required to include an additional 30 credits of acceptable upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level coursework from approved course providers or a master’s degree (Bachelor+30).

http://theprofessionalengineer.com/requirements/

Last edited:

actually a piece of paper does make you an engineer because it certifies that you have had the education and been trained in that field. just as a piece of paper makes you a doctor, or a lawyer. i can call myself a doctor all i want but that doesnt make me one. you can believe all you want you are an engineer. but without a degree in engineering or a PE designation (which you can not take the PE test without a degree) you are still not an true engineer.

Is your goal to become an engineer in the United States? If it is, you must first earn a bachelor's degree in engineering and become licensed. Degree programs also provide you with the math and technical skills you'll need to design new products and processes, develop test procedures and read blueprints or schematics in your new career.
What are the Requirements for Becoming an Engineer in the U.S.?

PE Requirements

Education
In most cases it is required that an engineering program of 4 years or more be successfully completed (i.e. a bachelor’s degree is required). Usually the program needs to be accredited by the EAC/ABET, or the equivalent. Certified proof of graduation is generally required. Education received outside of the US can be evaluated and approved in some cases (NCEES Credentials Evaluations). Note that there is an effort underway to increase the amount of education required to include an additional 30 credits of acceptable upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level coursework from approved course providers or a master’s degree (Bachelor+30).

Professional Engineering License Requirements | The Professional Engineer

No... it does not, you moron....

It gives you a college assigned TITLE....

And of course an educational organization will state such things.. for it is in their interest of money making to do so...

What makes you an engineer is working as one in the aspect of doing engineering work... and I motherfucking guarantee I have a knowledge base and skill set above your so called "engineers" in name only, that are nothing more than paper tigers...

Go fuck yourself and your ignorant educational system elitist bullshit

Must suck for you to know that an actual licensed engineer does not have an engineering degree... sucks having your preconceptions blown out of the water...

This goes to further show the ignorance born in the so-called 'educational' system

PE Requirements

Education

And of course an educational organization will state such things.. for it is in their interest of money making to do so...

What makes you an engineer is working as one in the aspect of doing engineering work... and I motherfucking guarantee I have a knowledge base and skill set above your so called "engineers" in name only, that are nothing more than paper tigers...

yeah thats good, get angry because I'm the messenger. I didn't make the rules, if you don't like them you go try and change them. You can continue to call yourself an Engineer all you want, any Engineering Society would agree with me. I never said you didn't do Engineering work, you just can not claim the title of Engineer or Professional Engineer. Show me your PE stamp, or your Engineering Degree, or anything that meets the technical requirement of being an Engineer. If you can not, you are technically not a an engineer. keep trying though.

what is your so called engineering expertise? what field are you in? can you name projects you have designed an built and can claim credit for? can you should public record of being an engineer?

Last edited:

PE Requirements

Education

yeah thats good, get angry because I'm the messenger. I didn't make the rules, if you don't like them you go try and change them. You can continue to call yourself an Engineer all you want, any Engineering Society would agree with me. I never said you didn't do Engineering work, you just can not claim the title of Engineer or Professional Engineer. Show me your PE stamp, or your Engineering Degree, or anything that meets the technical requirement of being an Engineer. If you can not, you are technically not a an engineer. keep trying though.

No moron... I do not have the college degree in engineering.. . while being a licensed engineer and the title of principle engineer at my company and in my field.. and have even been an instructor attempting to teach these little degree-having paper tigers about the ins and outs of actual engineering work...

Your preconception means nothing.. just as some organization's recognition based on a college degree (for the sake of their own organizational money making) means nothing... I am licensed to do the work that I do as well as licensed in another aspect of my profession as an ENGINEER... without a degree... whine all you want... suck it up, you are speaking to an engineer who does not hold a college engineering degree...

Fuck off, troll

No moron... I do not have the college degree in engineering.. . while being a licensed engineer and the title of principle engineer at my company and in my field.. and have even been an instructor attempting to teach these little degree-having paper tigers about the ins and outs of actual engineering work...

Your preconception means nothing.. just as some organization's recognition based on a college degree (for the sake of their own organizational money making) means nothing... I am licensed to do the work that I do as well as licensed in another aspect of my profession as an ENGINEER... without a degree... whine all you want... suck it up, you are speaking to an engineer who does not hold a college engineering degree...

Fuck off, troll

suck a bag of dicks mr i made up my own engineering title. Show Proof of this License and PE Stamp you speak of. i can make all sorts of wild accusations on here as well, it means jack shit without providing any proof.

"Many private companies employ non-degreed workers in technical positions with engineering titles such as "test engineer" or "field engineer". Such position may not require an engineering degree at the discretion of the company.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back