1968 "Bullitt" Mustang sells for $3.74 million at Mecum

I’d rather have a Shelby Cobra

shelby-cobra-427-used-in-ford-v-ferrari-filming.jpg

So here's the thing: there is no "Bullitt Mustang." Several cars were used in the filming, most of which were destroyed in the process. This "unique" car is merely one of a couple.

As Bugs Q. Bunny used to say, "What a maroooooon!"

I’d rather have a Shelby Cobra

shelby-cobra-427-used-in-ford-v-ferrari-filming.jpg
First thing you ever got right!

It was the highest price ever paid for a Ford Mustang at auction, according to David Morton, marketing manager for the auction house in Kissimmee, near Orlando. The buyer has not been publicly identified.

The unrestored muscle car, its "highland green" paint looking rusty and black upholstery splitting apart, starred in a 10-minute sequence in the 1968 film, getting airborne a few times as it sped through the hilly streets of San Francisco.

The car was auctioned without a reserve, or minimum sale price, a risky decision that could have forced the owners to sell low.

McQueen filmed with the window down so viewers could see he was behind the wheel. Although credited as the driver, McQueen actually shared the wheel with Hollywood stunt driver Bud Ekins, according to the movie database IMDB.

After filming, the Mustang was sold to a Warner Brothers employee, and later to a New Jersey police detective. He in turn sold it for $6,000 in 1974 to Robert Kiernan of Madison, New Jersey, who held onto the car until he died in 2014.

Kiernan rejected multiple offers for the car, including one from McQueen himself, according to the New York Times. He left it to his son, Sean.

(Excerpt) Read more at yahoo.com ...

This is why I think I'm completely different to many people.

I heard that machine, and I know if I buy that car I must need to install a good muffler because sounds like it is open or with a hole somewhere.

If I pay $3,000,000 for that car, and drive it in the streets and I have an accident, and the whole bumper, two fenders, the hood and radiator end in bad condition, then according to its value based in the blue book, this car will be declared "total loss" because the repairs are beyond the value of the car.

No matter if you paid millions for that old rotten car, in the streets that car is just an old oil burner, unless you pay tens of thousands of dollars in car insurance to protect yourself in case of damage to it.

If you buy the car to have it in a garage, well, people do idiot things everyday, like having three million dollars parked under shadow for years.

No matter what the owner claims, and no matter if the car was in a movie, I won't pay more than $1,000 for it, because the car is old, I will have lots of trouble finding parts unless I buy them at the junk, has no back up camera, no chargers for phone but only the cigarette lighter, who knows if the AC works, has no airbags, no steering wheel radio controls, the radio itself is a piece of crap with no song title display, no GPS, side mirrors are simpler.

If the car uses lead gasoline then you'll have trouble finding the additive for unleaded gasoline.

Probably the car was a "hit" in the 60's because all the cars were alike, and girls were used to get inside those cars, but today... no way Jose... that car is to drive it "alone" because girls prefer a guy driving a Toyota Prius with good AC, good music sound inside, definitively more comfort by all means.

The former owner of that car is indeed a very smart guy, he has made three million dollars selling old good recycling metal...

Last edited:
Opinion ^^^^^ most are air heads who can't converse with a real man- if they prefer sissified pussy's who drive a Prius they need to get out more.

The "era" of the fantasy of a "macho car" is gone. The symbol of Mustang is just a past legend.

I'm not as old as you but I also lived those years when a Mustang in the street turned the look of people to the car, but today only a small percent of the new generation follows that tendency... like today is lesser the people who say "the king is alive" in reference to Elvis.

Those times are GONE.

I bet that noisy rotten car is without good AC, whatever you do to make it smell nice inside always smelling like old leather, dried plastic interior, kicking hard every time you change gears... come on, I drove those cars when young when that car still was smelling fine, I remember...

If that car of the video was in storage for months or years and never turned on at least one time every month, then sure leaks from the power steering system is a must, leaks from cooling system a must, most gaskets will fail, tires won't last long because are also dried... a sure piece of crap for 3 million bucks. Call an attorney and claim your money back...

Today I do love fixing cars by myself, including body work, it's a great entertainment. I know how painful is to find parts for old cars. I'm not a mechanic but I fixed a car with bent valves, removing the cylinder head, replacing the head gasket and all that stuff. It relaxes me working in cars as a hobby.

And girls... for them the fantasy of the "strong car better dude" is over. Perhaps poor farm girls will buy such a fantasy.

The culture has changed as the cars have also changed. Today what defines a car is the technology inside, Today a silenced electric car is more cool than the noisy standard three gear car.

Look at the video, sure the gas car beats the electric car, but pay attention to the noise... even when the electric car is slower, you can talk, you can listen music without loud noise as background.

Can't you see that in the 60's the Mustang was the "king" because no better technology was available... but today any modern car has better technology and comfort?

In the 60's, a computer with printer was the size of a wall to wall furniture. And the printing was "punch cards" Lol. You had to read two books with pages like the old telephone whit and yellow page books to learn how to use such a giant mole.

Today, you use the laptop or even your phone and can do much more than the old immense computers.

Same as well with cars. the old ones are just "good memories" but mean lots of trouble maintaining, are not worthy to have them unless you repair them by yourself. Still, hard to find a girl letting you to touch her with your greased hands every time you open the hood because overheating and waiting to cool off...

The "era" of the fantasy of a "macho car" is gone. The symbol of Mustang is just a past legend.
Opinion ^^^^^^

like today is lesser the people who say "the king is alive" in reference to Elvis.
I'm not a believer
You wanna get into it with me over cars or the mechanics of cars bring a flash light and lunch- I've likely forgotten more than you'll ever know.

Forum List

Back