Anyone know what caliber would be referred to as a "9.9"?

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
A poster was bragging about his marksmanship and said "I could hit your skull from 100 yard with a 9.9".

I have asked several times what a "9.9" would be. I have been shooting for 50 years or so, and have been a student of firearms for as long. Despite that, I have very little experience with 9mm handguns.

I thought it might be a Tokarev, but he hasn't answered.

Any ideas?

Probably a typo. But given the 1000’s of calibers that have existed who’s to say..?

A poster was bragging about his marksmanship and said "I could hit your skull from 100 yard with a 9.9".

I have asked several times what a "9.9" would be. I have been shooting for 50 years or so, and have been a student of firearms for as long. Despite that, I have very little experience with 9mm handguns.

Any ideas?
The old .358 Remington or Winchester are also called a 9.9, it is also known as 9x49mm Browning and 9mm Don Gonzalo.
Apparently it's the only .35 that's still in production, it was introduced in 1909.

...he couldn't hit shit if someone is firing back at him
...marksmanship goes way down in REAL situations
...100 yards with a pistol is a looooong distance

Probably a typo. But given the 1000’s of calibers that have existed who’s to say..?

Yeah, that is why I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Calibers have been named for bullet diameter, black powder charge, year it was first made, and even speed of the bullet.

But, given my lack of experience with 9mm rounds, I thought someone else might know.

I think it’s something they use on Southern Afghanistan border.. some of the farmers are known to use them

I think it’s something they use on Southern Afghanistan border.. some of the farmers are known to use them

So it is a foreign pistol round? Ok, that is a start.

If you buy a box of ammo, what does it say on the box?

Any ideas?
The old .358 Remington or Winchester are also called a 9.9, it is also known as 9x49mm Browning and 9mm Don Gonzalo.
Apparently it's the only .35 that's still in production, it was introduced in 1909.

Ok, that I did not know. Good info. Thanks.

Marlin stopped producing the .35 Marlin? I shot one of those when I was a teenager. I thought it would make a decent brush gun for deer. Like a 30-30.

Any ideas?

Ok, that I did not know. Good info. Thanks.

Marlin stopped producing the .35 Marlin? I shot one of those when I was a teenager. I thought it would make a decent brush gun for deer. Like a 30-30.
it's often compared with the 30-30.

Even just shooting at the range, hitting something that small at 100 yards with a handgun is tough.

I can do it with a big bore revolver, but probably take a few shots to get the range down.

Even just shooting at the range, hitting something that small at 100 yards with a handgun is tough.

I can do it with a big bore revolver, but probably take a few shots to get the range down.
we fired as close as 7 yards in the USMC--it's not easy at all

I remember a farmer let me grab his when I was in the desert, I turned around and with one shot nailed my target a mile away ..

I remember a farmer let me grab his when I was in the desert, I turned around and with one shot nailed my target a mile away ..

You better be wearing hip waders. The bullshit is getting deep where you are.

we fired as close as 7 yards in the USMC--it's not easy at all

At the range I shoot my .45ACP at 25 yards and consider that a long distance. I have occasionally shot it at 50 yards, but not effectively.

If you set it up to simulate combat, with noise and stress, 7 yards is not easy.

Is this when you were there with Blackwater?

Forum List

Back