New duct work for the house.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
We've known for a while that the duct work in the house had some holes by the constant need for dusting and the $1200 to $1400 dollar electric bills in the heat of summer.
Welp we finally got an estimate and HOLY SHIT!!

$16'875 bucks!!!! Keep in mind this includes a new furnace. We've replaced all three A/C units and two of the furnaces so this is the last one.
They're also installing the 4 inch thick filters in each unit and adding the UV lights that kill mold and bacteria which can be a problem in the humid south.

Damn I hate spending money like this on the house!!!!
This would have paid for a new blower for my truck with a bit left over....aaaah the joys of homeownership.

We've known for a while that the duct work in the house had some holes by the constant need for dusting and the $1200 to $1400 dollar electric bills in the heat of summer.

$16'875 bucks!!!! Keep in mind this includes a new furnace. We've replaced all three A/C units and two of the furnaces so this is the last one.
They're also installing the 4 inch thick filters in each unit and adding the UV lights that kill mold and bacteria which can be a problem in the humid south.

This would have paid for a new blower for my truck with a bit left over....aaaah the joys of homeownership.

That would be one hella expensive blower for your truck. Superchargers aren't all that complicated.
I have one on mine and have never regretted it, especially after moving to a higher altitude.

But houses go up in value, and trucks, with or without a blower, go down in value. So you are making the better choice.

That said... please tell me you got 3 estimates. The biggest mistake is that people often go with the first estimate they get, and most companies know this. This is why if you get 3 estimates, usually the first one is the highest. The next two, know they are competing for business.

I would also ask your friends and neighbors. For some reason $17K seems high to me. But that might be normal in your area, I don't know.

Ouch!

Ouch! Well I can at least see a lot of labor in that job plus the new unit. Check this out, we have roots in our kitchen drain pipe so I called a plumber in. He bid $8200 to rooter out the pipe and recoat the existing drain with some epoxy stuff. 4 to 6 hour job! Needless to say I rejected the bid. I may go to a graywater system still looking into that.

That would be one hella expensive blower for your truck. Superchargers aren't all that complicated.
I have one on mine and have never regretted it, especially after moving to a higher altitude.

The Magnuson runs around 7k.
I could install it myself but if you have a certified dealer install it they pick up your engine warranty which of course you void if you modify your engine.
The install is around $2400,a bit steep but my Tundra only has 10500 miles on it.

But houses go up in value, and trucks, with or without a blower, go down in value. So you are making the better choice.

That said... please tell me you got 3 estimates. The biggest mistake is that people often go with the first estimate they get, and most companies know this. This is why if you get 3 estimates, usually the first one is the highest. The next two, know they are competing for business.

I would also ask your friends and neighbors. For some reason $17K seems high to me. But that might be normal in your area, I don't know.

I went with the same people who've done all my A/C work over the last 12 years.
They've installed three A/C units and 2 furnaces and I got multiple quotes at the time back then.
They are a bit more expensive but they always stand by their work and it's quality.

The house is just shy of 5k square feet and has three units so it really didnt surprise me when they quoted their price.
I've found that as I've gotten older I usually miss the mark by 25%. That rule held true yet again.

Ouch!

Thats what I said......only it sounded more Mother Fucker!!!!!

Ouch! Well I can at least see a lot of labor in that job plus the new unit. Check this out, we have roots in our kitchen drain pipe so I called a plumber in. He bid $8200 to rooter out the pipe and recoat the existing drain with some epoxy stuff. 4 to 6 hour job! Needless to say I rejected the bid. I may go to a graywater system still looking into that.

That does seem excessive.
I've found that plumbers and electricians are the most likely to gouge you over any other home repairs.

We just had a new roof installed that went 20k. But the house has a shitload of hips and valleys to contend with. The real kicker? It leaked in two places after a heavy rain storm. They of course came out and fixed it and paid for the water damage to our ceiling.

I have a buddy that has a gray water system hooked to his irrigation system and he loves it!!!

The thing that really pissed me off!!
The damn builder left no access to the duct work over the master bedroom. I mean NO access!!!!
We're going to have to cut a hole in the ceiling of the bedroom and of course have it repaired afterwards.

I could install it myself but if you have a certified dealer install it they pick up your engine warranty which of course you void if you modify your engine.
The install is around $2400,a bit steep but my Tundra only has 10500 miles on it.

I have the TRD on my truck, I think since about 97 or 98 now. It was a learning experience as TRD cheapd out and ruined the heads on mine by not including adequate fuel mods. After a new engine from the dealership knuckleheads, I got it worked out myself and it's been great ever since. Over 100K miles now.
If you add forced induction of any kind, just be damn sure to add more fuel to go with all that extra air.

Last edited:

They've installed three A/C units and 2 furnaces and I got multiple quotes at the time back then.
They are a bit more expensive but they always stand by their work and it's quality.

The house is just shy of 5k square feet and has three units so it really didnt surprise me when they quoted their price.
I've found that as I've gotten older I usually miss the mark by 25%. That rule held true yet again.

I see. Yeah, you live in a different world than me. 900 sq ft is huge in my world. Can't imagine why I would ever need or want a larger place.

So, never mind then. That price seems logical for the size of house you have.

The damn builder left no access to the duct work over the master bedroom. I mean NO access!!!!
We're going to have to cut a hole in the ceiling of the bedroom and of course have it repaired afterwards.
Drywall work is no biggie, don't fret it. It's so easy sometimes I even do it myself.

If it makes you feel any better I dropped somewhere between 65 and 70 grand for a new deck in the last year or two. Elevated steel and concrete but that bitch won't burn or rot and the bugs can't eat it either.

Last edited:

I have the TRD on my truck, I think since about 97 or 98 now. It was a learning experience as TRD cheapd out and ruined the heads on mine by not including adequate fuel mods. After a new engine from the dealership knuckleheads, I got it worked out myself and it's been great ever since. Over 100K miles now.

Boy do I know those years!!
Had a 98 Tacoma with the TRD blower and it wasnt long before it started blowing head gaskets.
The first time it happened I noticed a large increase in HP.
Of course water doesnt burn so you got increased compression resulting in more HP......for a short time anyway.

I see. Yeah, you live in a different world than me. 900 sq ft is huge in my world. Can't imagine why I would ever need or want a larger place.

So, never mind then. That price seems logical for the size of house you have.

My lovely Bride wanted the house and the four car garage sold it to me.
It has one two car and a motorhome garage that has 14 ft ceilings and is 42 foot deep,220 for my welder,septic and water.
Had it not been for that I would have put up a fight.
A8FBC127-BA8B-451F-ADE4-1277B6E477F0.jpeg

Drywall work is no biggie, don't fret it. It's so easy sometimes I even do it myself.

If it makes you feel any better I dropped somewhere between 65 and 70 grad for a new deck in the last year or two. Elevated steel and concrete but that bitch won't burn or rot and the bugs can't eat it either.

I hate it!!!
Been through five surgeries over the last five or six years on my hip and back so those things I used to do my damn self are out of reach until I heal up.
That sounds like one hell of a deck!!!
Thats up there for what we paid for our first house back in 1988.
Of course you could buy a nice truck for 20k back then and these days you better be ready to ass up 40k for the same damn thing!!!

Had a 98 Tacoma with the TRD blower and it wasnt long before it started blowing head gaskets.
Of course water doesnt burn so you got increased compression resulting in more HP......for a short time anyway.

Mine cracked the webbing in the heads between the valves in the center jug on both sides. For what that cost for the bare heads you could buy a brand new small block crate engine. While they had the heads off I told the dealer to do a top overhaul as the engine had about a 100k on it. Only the dummies didn't put stuff back where it came from and that trashed the block. I made them replace the engine on their nickle because they were idiots and should have known how to do a simple top overhaul without screwing it up. Any fool knows you have to put the parts back where they came from orientated he same way. At least I thought they did. I guess these guys topped at oil and tire changes.

Mine cracked the webbing in the heads between the valves in the center jug on both sides. For what that cost for the bare heads you could buy a brand new small block crate engine. While they had the heads off I told the dealer to do a top overhaul as the engine had about a 100k on it. Only the dummies didn't put stuff back where it came from and that trashed the block. I made them replace the engine on their nickle because they were idiots and should have known how to do a simple top overhaul without screwing it up. Any fool knows you have to put the parts back where they came from orientated he same way. At least I thought they did. I guess these guys topped at oil and tire changes.

Sounds about right.
I caught the shitheads doing burnouts in my Tacoma when I went by Sterling McCall Toyota to check on the progress.
The truck only had 4k miles on it.

Forum List

Back