18 year old charged with sex with 14 year old.

By the way her mom is a republican. Go to her Facebook page, Kelley Hunt Smith. She was a Romney Ryan supporter. What was that again about progressives teaching their children that no law applies to them?

They feel differently about a homosexual daughter than the national economy. Unlike democrats, republicans do not demand lockstep on every issue. Especially when their children are involved.

She doesn't want to see her daughter have to register as a sex offender, even though she deserves it.

Don't ruin her life. Her crime wasn't anywhere near as bad as other crimes - she doesn't deserve to be labeled a sex offender - she had sex with a girlfriend, she isn't a predator!

Hunt IS a predator and IS a sex offender. Not because she simply had sex with a 14 year old but because she could not control herself. She was obsessive. The victim's parents tried every avenue of stopping her. They went to Hunt's parents, went to the school, and the basketball coach recognized issues independently of the parents, the parents even went to Kaitlyn Hunt herself. Nothing stopped her and going to the police was the last resort. That makes her a compulsive predator and a sex offender.

This idea of "not ruining" someone's life is absolutely nonsense. That's how these mass murderers got to be mass murderers. No one wanted to ruin their lives by reporting bizarre behavior early on.

No one is ruining her life but her own compulsive behavior.

They feel differently about a homosexual daughter than the national economy. Unlike democrats, republicans do not demand lockstep on every issue. Especially when their children are involved.

She doesn't want to see her daughter have to register as a sex offender, even though she deserves it.

Don't ruin her life. Her crime wasn't anywhere near as bad as other crimes - she doesn't deserve to be labeled a sex offender - she had sex with a girlfriend, she isn't a predator!
I explained in a post above, and gave a link, that she has been offered a plea deal wherein she will not have to register as a sex offender and not have to go to jail. She would be under 'house arrest' for two years and be done with it. She has apparently so far refused the deal and is considering going to trial, which could end up with jail time and the sex offender register. IMO she's a fool if she chances a jury trial. She still doesn't think she's done anything wrong. She began this relationship when the younger girl was 13. Thirteen!

The last woman to say "no jury would convict me" is Jodie Arias.

What do the parents of the 14 year old think about homosexual relationships?
I think we have a motivation for their anger, don't we?

We don't know; anything we think would be speculation. To me, it doesn't really matter. They are protecting their child from a sexual relationship with an older person. That's enough for me. Doesn't matter if it is gay or not or if her parents are concerned about the homosexuality. Seriously, how can a child like that grow up knowing for sure how she feels about her sexuality when she has been seduced by a much older person? She should be left alone to make her own decisions!

You are forgetting that some 14 year olds are very mature for their age - even more mature than some adults. Its possible that this 14 year old is very mature and capable of making her own decisions.

I don't think this is a case of her being preyed on by a sexual predator. Even if the 18 year old had been a male, I would think the same. The age gap of four years is, to me, not a big deal.

Depending on where the act takes place, it may be Illegal. We don't advocate illegal activity here, Noomi. It is a big deal.

If Hunt had been a male who could not control himself and kept pursing the object of his compulsions he would be a sexual predator.

Hunt IS a predator and IS a sex offender. Not because she simply had sex with a 14 year old but because she could not control herself. She was obsessive. The victim's parents tried every avenue of stopping her. They went to Hunt's parents, went to the school, and the basketball coach recognized issues independently of the parents, the parents even went to Kaitlyn Hunt herself. Nothing stopped her and going to the police was the last resort. That makes her a compulsive predator and a sex offender.

This idea of "not ruining" someone's life is absolutely nonsense. That's how these mass murderers got to be mass murderers. No one wanted to ruin their lives by reporting bizarre behavior early on.

They also tried to say Hunt kidnapped their daughter when she ran away from home. Sorry if I only believe half of what they say.

They also tried to say Hunt kidnapped their daughter when she ran away from home. Sorry if I only believe half of what they say.

Sounds like there is a good chance of another locked jury?

Or not.

Legally--they were on school grounds when they did what they did. Hunt was 18 in Sept and this took place in Dec.
She had been suspended by the basketball coach and he spoke to her parents, maybe to the other girl's parents, too.
Hunt was a cheerleader and on the honor roll, fwiw.

Meanwhile, a girl that spent most of her life in homeless shelters was the valedictorian of her high school class, grade point 4.46. Her sister was also a valedictorian. That is what they felt they needed to do. I believe the first sister will start college as a junior next year.

If Hunt had been a male who could not control himself and kept pursing the object of his compulsions he would be a sexual predator.

Or he'd be a typical teenage boy who thinks he's in love.

He can THINK whatever he wants. If he cannot control his behavior his is a compulsive sexual predator.

Sexuality--over and over again.

Pandora's box is open and there is no turning back?

Somewhere, 'out there' I can only hope other priorities are explained.

I wouldn't be able to serve on a jury for this trial--'waste of time and money'.

Children are not capable of handling sexuality. Just because they can physically engage genitalia doesn't mean they are mentally or emotionally capable of a sexual relationship. Plenty of teens "fall in love" only to fall in love with someone else next week. Children can admire an older person and confuse that with love. One minute they are laughing and the next they are crying. That's why they are so easily led and manipulated. Certainly an 18 year old young woman can take a 14 year old's admiration for the way the woman dresses, or wears her hair, and convince the 14 year old it's love. That's the nature of being 14!

When an adult cannot control their behavior, around anyone, male or female, that is obsessive compulsive behavior and needs some sort of external control. As soon as the parents said "NO", that should have been the end of it. Convincing a child to run away, to continue to engage in sexual behavior is sick. There is no other word for it. It is sick. Thinking of this as "love" demeans the concept of love. If they are so much in love, they can wait until their relationship can be entered into legally.

Children are not capable of handling sexuality. Just because they can physically engage genitalia doesn't mean they are mentally or emotionally capable of a sexual relationship. Plenty of teens "fall in love" only to fall in love with someone else next week. Children can admire an older person and confuse that with love. One minute they are laughing and the next they are crying. That's why they are so easily led and manipulated. Certainly an 18 year old young woman can take a 14 year old's admiration for the way the woman dresses, or wears her hair, and convince the 14 year old it's love. That's the nature of being 14!

When an adult cannot control their behavior, around anyone, male or female, that is obsessive compulsive behavior and needs some sort of external control. As soon as the parents said "NO", that should have been the end of it. Convincing a child to run away, to continue to engage in sexual behavior is sick. There is no other word for it. It is sick. Thinking of this as "love" demeans the concept of love. If they are so much in love, they can wait until their relationship can be entered into legally.

eh--I would consider both of them 'children'.

I suppose those with expertise in mental health will be consulted.

Emotional maturity. oh well--Take it to court.

I assume that by middle school--anywhere from 10 yrs old --sexuality is explored thoroughly

http://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/resources-and-publications/info/parents/just-facts/adolescent-sex.html

Last edited:
As it stands right now, Kate has rejected the plea deal that would have given her no jail time but branded her a convicted felon. Her attorneys have vowed to see the law changed, and even state senator Altman has agreed the law is wrong and has said he plans to see it changed.

As it stands right now, Kate has rejected the plea deal that would have given her no jail time but branded her a convicted felon. Her attorneys have vowed to see the law changed, and even state senator Altman has agreed the law is wrong and has said he plans to see it changed.

I wonder what would be better?

Better what?

If she got a plea deal that did not include prison time and she rejected it, she is a fool. When I was working in those prisons, I saw inmate after inmate who rejected their plea deal and got hard time. Juries love to convict.

Better what?

How should the law be changed--for the better. I assume some adjustment on the age of consent.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...ge-of-consent-in-establishing-who-is-an-adult

I suppose I am in the minority but at any age if you aren't certain the relationship has the potential to be 'healthy' then why complicate your life.

Last edited:

If she got a plea deal that did not include prison time and she rejected it, she is a fool. When I was working in those prisons, I saw inmate after inmate who rejected their plea deal and got hard time. Juries love to convict.

Even though the plea deal included no jail time, it really wasn't that great. Her attorneys, a team of the best lawyers in the state, seem to feel that if they go to trial, worst case they end up with the same sentence and best case she ends up with a lighter one.

Even though the plea deal included no jail time, it really wasn't that great. Her attorneys, a team of the best lawyers in the state, seem to feel that if they go to trial, worst case they end up with the same sentence and best case she ends up with a lighter one.

Any deal that does not include prison time is great, and only a fool would turn it down.

Better what?

How should the law be changed--for the better. I assume some adjustment on the age of consent.

Oh... I've mentioned before, many states allow more leeway with the age of consent issue. In my state if you are less than 4 years older (and one party is over the age of 18)its at most misdemeanor ,carrying a fine. If you are more than 10 years older its a felony.

The senator says he believes Florida law should allow for more forgiveness for teenagers who break the consent laws.

"Altman, a Rockledge Republican who represents Sebastian, plans to propose a bill next year dealing with the age limits in Florida’s sex offenses law. It’s illegal for a person 18 or older to have sex with someone younger than 16 in Florida, regardless of consent. In Hunt’s case, her then-14-year-old girlfriend filed charges in February over sexual engagement, which is detailed in an arrest affidavit.

“There are just better ways of dealing with this issue than through our courts and criminal justice system,” Altman said. “They’re using the same system designed to go after murderers, rapists and child abductors. That’s just flat out wrong. And it’s hurting these kids.” ....

Altman stressed that judges need to have more discretion in these cases.

“Our criminal justice system should be designed to allow human reason, rationale and judgment to come into this, and not just simple enforcement of hard, cold numbers,” Altman said.

Hunt’s attorney, Julia Graves, said in a prepared statement that she would fight “to have the (state) law changed so no other teenager finds themselves in this position.”

Though Altman said he hasn’t been in touch with the family, he’s moving forward with his bill next legislative session.

“We have 18-year-olds that are in high school that are classmates with 15-year-olds, 14-year-olds,” Altman said. “ ... I think we need to take a very hard look at this and try to provide rational standards that really are appropriate to our youth. These kids should not have to be going through what they’re going through right now.”

State Sen. Altman says he hopes to revise sex offenses law, offering protection to 18-year-olds like Kaitlyn Hunt » TCPalm Mobile

Forum List

Back