Zone1 16-year-old Chick-Fil-A worker sent home over ‘unnatural’ hair color

She's only 16 years old and she has already been impacted by the type of systemic racism that we've been describing. It's not being called the N-word, or having a cross burned on your lawn. That's overt racism and easily understood. But there are a multitude of microaggressions and subtle forms of racism that we as Black people endure throughout our lives. We don't have to go looking for it, it finds us since the damage of founding this country on the premise of white superiority is still engrained in many parts and many of the people of the U.S. today.

I remember we were discussing the issues that Black hair causes for some white racists and many of the posters here did not believe it or claimed we were exaggerating or playing the race card. You all don't see it because you don't experience it due to not being Black but it still persists.

I'm glad she filed a complaint with the EEOC. I hope they step up and do their job properly so that this young lady doesn't have to experience the second tier of racism - "justice denied".

By the way, I'm pretty sure by unnatural hair colors they were referring to the rainbow colors that celebrities such as Megan Rapino and Billie Ilish sport, pink and lime green.

HARRISBURG, N.C. (WJZY) — Sixteen-year-old Autumn Williams is still trying to understand how the blonde hair color in her braids was deemed unnatural at her Chick-Fil-A job.​
She says she felt singled out and embarrassed.​
She’d only been working at a Chick-Fil-A in Harrisburg, North Carolina, for three months before she was pulled aside for an apparent uniform violation. What she was told caught her caught off guard.​
“She was like, ‘Hey, one of our supervisors came by and said they noticed blonde in your hair, and he asked that you leave and come back when it’s taken out since it’s an unnatural color to you,'” Williams said.​
This is the color Williams says she had at the time:​
(Courtesy of Autumn Williams)

(Courtesy of Autumn Williams)© Provided by WNCN Raleigh​
“I don’t know what blonde is in my hair because my braids were brown, and there wasn’t blonde in them, (even though) my natural hair color is blonde,” Williams said. “And the guy, when I had orientation, he never said anything about my hair color or it being an issue.”​
She claims other coworkers also had unnatural hair colors, but she was singled out.​
When she asked her human resources supervisor for clarification about unnatural hair colors, he referred Williams to the employee handbook.​
But the handbook doesn’t specify what unnatural colors are.​
Chick-Fil-A Handbook
She says the lack of clarification led to her quitting.​
Chick-Fil-A responded to a request for comment, saying:​
“The operator reached out to (Autumn) Williams today and had a good conversation.
In further detail, the operator explained that the policy was misinterpreted and said Williams was not terminated and she’s more than welcome to come back and work at the restaurant.”
“I was glad that I didn’t have to change myself to fit into someone else’s … image of what it’s like to be a Chick-Fil-A worker,” Williams said. “…I was just glad that I was able to just stay true to myself and move on and find somewhere else to work that’s fine with how I look.”​
“It’s a protective style for us,” said her mother, Nina Burch. “There was nothing eccentric about the color that was in her hair. So I think maybe there needs to be some sensitivity training about what people can and cannot look like. But that just sounds so crazy to say because who’s to say what anybody can look like based on their race?”​
Since her decision to quit, Williams says she’s filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.​

MSN
But, but, but The Chic is pro homosexual

They know the lib secret handshake and are untouchable

If they dont like the girls have thats none of your business

Do you think the fact that I got the highest score means that I WAS qualified even if I prevented a white person from getting a top slot?
Nope. You were the most qualified. I was just pointing out that preferences work both ways and have real world consequences.

I think so, that was my life back when I was turning 21. :)

Who told you that I am an engineer and why do you think this is about emotion? When you get pulled over by the police, do you assume that the officer is ticketing you due to how they're feeling emotionally that day or because you violated a traffic law?

This is no different.
I read what you write. You have stated that your degree is in Aerospace, although you have probably advanced to managerial level. As for my comment on emotion, I am referring to how Democrats and their media play on their bases emotions. The trigger bait is selected to elicit anger and hatred for White people, Conservatives or Police just as your 16 year old Chick-fil-A girl story did.

Blonde hair is an unnatural color for a black person. That's really not disputable. I don't see why it's a big deal, though.
Would you be surprised to discover you're mistaken? Aside from the Melanesians, there are mixed race Black people who have naturally blonde,

O.J. Simpson's daughter Sydney readily comes to mind.
OIP.680BJIk1BbEDEsvOKD_9fgHaE5

Does it discriminate? No. It says ALL WORKERS must have natural hair color.

And by natural, I would suppose that a person walking in to their store would KNOW that the person hasn't dyed their hair. Pretty obvious she has.
Is blonde a natural hair color? If yes then her hair color was not unnatural.

I'm pretty sure that by "unnatural" they were referring to primary colors - red, blue & green and shades thereof.

Is blonde a natural hair color? If yes then her hair color was not unnatural.

I'm pretty sure that by "unnatural" they were referring to primary colors - red, blue & green and shades thereof.

Imagine a worker turns up for an interview with black hair. Then has blond hair a week later.
"natural hair color"? Nope.

I read what you write. You have stated that your degree is in Aerospace, although you have probably advanced to managerial level. As for my comment on emotion, I am referring to how Democrats and their media play on their bases emotions. The trigger bait is selected to elicit anger and hatred for White people, Conservatives or Police just as your 16 year old Chick-fil-A girl story did.
Well if this story does indeed only serve to elicit anger and hatred for White People, Conservatives and the Police then there is something seriously wrong with the lot of you.

Standing up for one's rights comes with risks due specifically to people just like you and others with the same mindset. Nobody is talking about burning down Chick-fil-a, or boycotting the store, putting the managers photo online and doxxing her/him. We simply expect remediation of the situation as should occur each and every time an offense occurs.

The fact that some white people react so negatively to legitimate unlawful offenses being pointed out so that they can be corrected is the primary reason our country is in the fix it is these days.

And for the record, my undergraduate degree is in aeronautical science/computer science. Some of my classmates were recruited by Boeing before they even graduated but calculus prevented me from going the engineering route, not that I'm not happy as a full lifecycle "computer programmer/analyst"

Imagine a worker turns up for an interview with black hair. Then has blond hair a week later.
"natural hair color"? Nope.
If the person is white, would they then get sent home for having an "unnatural hair color"? Not unless the company wants to get sued, right?

And there is no way for you to know which of the two colors is natural. Some women change up their hair color all of the time and not necessarily by dying it.

If the person is white, would they then get sent home for having an "unnatural hair color"? Not unless the company wants to get sued, right?

And there is no way for you to know which of the two colors is natural. Some women change up their hair color all of the time and not necessarily by dying it.

If a person turned up with one color hair one week and a different color hair the next, they might. I don't know the history here.

What do you think the chances are this woman has naturally blond hair? One a 100 million?

I figured I wouldn't have to spell this out but apparently I was wrong.

There are some people, mainly white racists, who believe Black people do not, can not, but more importantly, should not have blond hair (looking at you theHawk).

This thread is not "trigger bait", as alleged by MarathonMike thonMike, it is to add to the many ways that Black people are discriminated against in spite of such discrimination having been unlawful since 1964.

Meet The Dark-Skinned Melanesians With Natural Blond Hair

Turn about is fair play.

Blacks can tell whites not to appropriate their culture and no one says a thing

What about the white people who get discriminated against?

Like affirmative action. If a school or business says they will specifically bring in X amount of blacks that means they exclude X amount of non blacks based purely on their skin color.

So to try and paint everything as racist against blacks is either narrow vision or a lie. In fact racism against whites is bigger now than against blacks. In fact it's often proudly announced.

So if blacks want to be equal then they need to accept racism against them because they give it to whites.

And if discrimination is illegal then why can the president do it?

So Biden said a black, meaning not white, woman, meaning not a man. So not only did he announce his intentions to be racially discriminate but he also announced he would be sexist as well.

So if it's unlawful then how come it happens all the time openly where blacks are favored over whites?

Turn about is fair play.

Blacks can tell whites not to appropriate their culture and no one says a thing

What about the white people who get discriminated against?

Like affirmative action. If a school or business says they will specifically bring in X amount of blacks that means they exclude X amount of non blacks based purely on their skin color.

So to try and paint everything as racist against blacks is either narrow vision or a lie. In fact racism against whites is bigger now than against blacks. In fact it's often proudly announced.

So if blacks want to be equal then they need to accept racism against them because they give it to whites.

And if discrimination is illegal then why can the president do it?

So Biden said a black, meaning not white, woman, meaning not a man. So not only did he announce his intentions to be racially discriminate but he also announced he would be sexist as well.

So if it's unlawful then how come it happens all the time openly where blacks are favored over whites?
I would suggest that you look at the overall workface population. If you have 100 workers and 90 of them are white and 10 of them are Black, but the U.S. population is comprised of 87% white and 13% Black, then you have more whites and less Blacks than their representation in society.

If you remove 3 white workers from the workforce and replace them with 3 Black workers then your workforce will now be balanced, hypothetically speaking.

This is just a made-up example but it's not unrealistic. Prior to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the creation of affirmative action, there were no Black commercial airline pilots at all, so all 100% of those slots were filled by white men. After the passage of the CRA they slowly and dare I say carefully, began hiring African American pilots yet then just as now, the number of Black airline pilots doesn't even come close to their representation in society coming in at less than 3%. And while the slots those Black pilots are occupying would have normally been given to white pilots, their loss can't be attributed to favoritism for Blacks when white pilots still make up more than 80% of all airline pilots.

I hope this makes sense.

I would suggest that you look at the overall workface population. If you have 100 workers and 90 of them are white and 10 of them are Black, but the U.S. population is comprised of 87% white and 13% Black, then you have more whites and less Blacks than their representation in society.

If you remove 3 white workers from the workforce and replace them with 3 Black workers then your workforce will now be balanced, hypothetically speaking.

This is just a made-up example but it's not unrealistic. Prior to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the creation of affirmative action, there were no Black commercial airline pilots at all, so all 100% of those slots were filled by white men. After the passage of the CRA they slowly and dare I say carefully, began hiring African American pilots yet then just as now, the number of Black airline pilots doesn't even come close to their representation in society coming in at less than 3%. And while the slots those Black pilots are occupying would have normally been given to white pilots, their loss can't be attributed to favoritism for Blacks when white pilots still make up more than 80% of all airline pilots.

I hope this makes sense.
Not only is that a ridiculous way to measure racism, it’s racist in and of itself.

So a company with 100 people should have 13 blacks, for “equal” representation“? What about qualifications….experience…..educational background? Shouldn’t those be the deciding factors, rather than prioritizing skin color?

Let’s say I apply to a company with only 10 blacks out of 100 - and a less qualified black also applies. Should the black applicant get the job over me because they want to inch closer to “equal representation”? How is that not racist against ME, due to my skin color?

Also, there’s a reason that blacks are not represented proportionally to their numbers in the 100-person company. Employers want college graduates these days - even for jobs like receptionist - and whites are more likely to have a college degree.

Forum List

Back