$15 Minimum Wage Is Speeding Up the ERA of Automation

If automation can do the job, it will
Regardless if it pays $7 or $15

We have seen this for over a hundred years

So

If employees agree to work for $3 an hour, McDonalds won't put those machines in?
heard McDonalds have been using them in Europe for a few year's now, they have a high labor wage, right now with our minimum wage the way it is not worth the investment but raise it, then it will become worth the investment.simple as that.

So

If employees agree to work for $3 an hour, McDonalds won't put those machines in?
heard McDonalds have been using them in Europe for a few year's now, they have a high labor wage, right now with our minimum wage the way it is not worth the investment but raise it, then it will become worth the investment.simple as that.

Guess what?

Having a human take your order will disappear regardless of how little McDonalds pays them
A majority of customers have things called smartphones. All you need is an app and you can call up your order and pay for it before you leave your car
McDonalds is automating everything from the french fry cooker to the coffee machines

Keeping the minimum wage down will not stop that

So

Guess what?

Having a human take your order will disappear regardless of how little McDonalds pays them
A majority of customers have things called smartphones. All you need is an app and you can call up your order and pay for it before you leave your car
McDonalds is automating everything from the french fry cooker to the coffee machines

was just reading earlier on CNBC how much it cost to open a franchise maybe if you check out this link and explain to me why would they want to add another 250k ?to the start up cost
What does it cost to open a fast food franchise

First they will replace the cashiers. This won't be difficult
Protesters Aren t Going to Like How McDonald s is Reacting to Their Minimum Wage Concerns

Next they will get rid of the cooks. This was built in 2010, but I think $15 a hour will get it into play.
Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry - Singularity HUBSingularity HUB

Many Janitorial Jobs will be taken over by machines also.

So what jobs will be left:
(1) Loader of the Food into the burger maker. This could get automated also, but I think it will require a human.
(2) Machine Mechanic: Only 1-3 per location would probably be necessary. It would be a high pay position at least.
(3) IT Support: Ditto
(4) Janitor: I don't think a robot could do it all.
(5) Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: I could see a few working there.

Bottomline there will be far fewer workers in the fast food industry!

This is sort of why I'm not a Republican anymore. That you would begrudge people a living wage to a point where you'd spend a shitload of money on a machine that would be less reliable than a person is just crazy, but it shows the anger and stupidity of the Conservative Stockholm Syndrome.

Hey, here's the thing. So those poor people won't have jobs. Will they

a) Dutifully starve their families to death so the rich have a place to ride their Dressage Horses

or

b) Vote for Democrats who will create a bunch of government jobs and benefits so they can feed their families.

You see, if you Wingnuts had a fucking brain, you'd be getting behind a living wage, because when people are earning their own money, they really won't like the government taking it from them.

But if they are earning not enough to get by and have to get Medicaid, Section 8 and Food stamps, you've made them a Democrat for life.

This is the like the oldest e onomic argument ever and it is one that has been debugged thouroly. Consider this. If technology lead to less employment then the last two hundred years of technological manufacturing breakthroughs would mean that there would be a declining pool of employed peopke. Instead we have seen new jobs constantly being created by new industries.

So

Guess what?

was just reading earlier on CNBC how much it cost to open a franchise maybe if you check out this link and explain to me why would they want to add another 250k ?to the start up cost
Of course you wouldn't want to add $250 K to startup costs if you don't have to

But the price of beef also impacts your operating costs, so do things like building costs, insurance, permits, architectural costs, franchise fees....it is all part of the cost of doing business

If McDonalds is so concerned about the cost of opening a new franchise, why don't they relax some of their franchise fees instead of taking it out on low cost workers?

I agree that I have been re-thinking my position on this, too. If it's a matter of entry-level employment opportunities for unskilled workers, that's one thing. But when I am faced with even greater price increases because a "living wage" is demanded, well...I just cannot afford those wages. Oh, when you think about it, all of us who have worked to increase, improve, or acquire marketable skills, we will be taking a de-facto pay cut. Employers will certainly not be able to provide commensurate increases for those of us who do give a hoot about self-improvement through education and training.

Total stupidity from a non thinking retard. Prices increase due to inflation caused by government spending & loans to support underpaid workers. Most of the people clamped on government tits are workers & their families. The massive inflation caused by Republican spending & failed lending, landed a huge chunk of our workers on the government dole. That massive government dependance will continue skyrocket inflation if their pay is not raised to stop it.

Your crying about increased minimum wage makes feels like skilled workers "taking a de-facto pay cut" :lol: How did the actual pay cut feel when prices went up 400% :lol: Stop crying & tell your boss you demand a raise of stop being a pussy & start your own business.

Last edited:

So

Guess what?

Of course you wouldn't want to add $250 K to startup costs if you don't have to

But the price of beef also impacts your operating costs, so do things like building costs, insurance, permits, architectural costs, franchise fees....it is all part of the cost of doing business

If McDonalds is so concerned about the cost of opening a new franchise, why don't they relax some of their franchise fees instead of taking it out on low cost workers?
good question, even opening up a subway cost a bunch of upfront cash.

Protesters Aren t Going to Like How McDonald s is Reacting to Their Minimum Wage Concerns

Next they will get rid of the cooks. This was built in 2010, but I think $15 a hour will get it into play.
Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry - Singularity HUBSingularity HUB

(1) Loader of the Food into the burger maker. This could get automated also, but I think it will require a human.
(2) Machine Mechanic: Only 1-3 per location would probably be necessary. It would be a high pay position at least.

Why is era capitalized?

Why is era capitalized?

Earned Run Average

Why is era capitalized?

Earned Run Average
I thought it was the Equal Rights Amendment. But I am just old

Interesting report in a recent edition of The Economist about how automatic sewing is nearly ready for industrial use. That has the potential to eliminate hundreds of thousands of "needle trade" jobs, most of which are in low-wage other countries. Some feeling that it'll bring clothing production back to The U.S. but, guess what! Some of the biggest investment is coming from China and South Korea where garment-making jobs were lost to other, lower-cost, producers. Will America educate the sort of technicians who can program and maintain robotic sewing?

Probably not.

So?.....What's stopping them from improving their education/skills so that they can earn more?..Nothing but themselves.

Yeah, then they could be like those adjunct professors... 25% of whom are on food stamps. I have to conclude you have no idea what a lot of the job market is like these days.

Haven't seen what?...Are you the sole decider on what's fair?....Why not pay everyone $100k per year? How about that nonsense?

Why do you want to argue a point not made? Living wage. Everyone should pay one. Done.

Pilots make ends meet. Have two friends that were Turbo Prop drivers. Just like everyone else, they gained experience and with that, their salaries increased...dramatically. In other words, they EARNED their increases.

Again, it strikes me that if you have gained the ability to fly a plane, that should already entitle you to a living wage.

What system sucks? The one where hiring managers get to select the best candidate for the position?.....Gee, must have missed that one....I guess you feel a job is 'owed' to whomever applies?

Guy, I've been around long enough to realize that hiring managers are sort of inept at their jobs. I realize who isn't going to last in a job pretty much the first day they start. How the hiring managers can't figure that out is befuddling. Seriously, 400 applicants, this is the one you picked?

Oh, try firing a person based solely on orientation. See what happens. That person would own the company.

Um, not really. First, they come up with excuses. In the case I mentioned, their official excuse was they were 'reorganizing the department'. Which we all immediately knew was bullshit. Secondly, suing a company is actually kind of a long process, and usually not worth it.

Oh...I get it....So if one does not feel comfortable with the gay lifestyle or simply has a religious or moral objection to said lifestyle is a 'bigot'?.....Boy, you have a lot to learn.
Never mind....Your brain is steel trap close minded.....

Yeah, guy, they are bigots. Just because they dress up their bigotry in vestments and call it "religion" doesn't make them any less bigots. Frankly, there's a whole lot of rules in the big book of Judean Fairy Tales they ignore. Selectively picking this one makes them bigots.

Question....With all the bitching and moaning you've done about the wealthy. employers , corporations, etc, why is it you never decided 'hey, fuck 'em. I'll start my own business and treat my people the way I see fit? Or have you not done this because you believe you'd become "one of them".....Or is being a worker bee your pathway to being able to remain a chronic complainer?....Because that's all you lefties have. Complaints. If you had nothing to complain about, your lives would be empty shells.

Guy, I don't tell rape victims to go out and buy a strap-on dildo and go rape someone else.

The rich need to treat the worker bees fairly. Frankly, if you want to use bees as an example, bees are perfectly communistic. Even the "Queen" really doesn't have a much better life. Seriously, all the poor thing does is lay eggs all day.

I really have no problem with people who have more skills making more. Doctors, Engineers, etc. I'm actually kind of good with that.

I have a HUGE problem with the parasites on Wall Street, who make nothing and create nothing, profiting off the labor of others and finding new ways to cheat them.

Joe...What's this have to do with automation replacing people?.....

Not a thing. Automation will never replace people. I know this is a wet dream that the Corporatists have. But it never happens. They usually end up just getting an employee whose job it is to tend that machine or do that machine's work...
"Why do you want to argue a point not made? Living wage. Everyone should pay one. Done."
Just answer the question. It is pertinent to the discussion...You have failed to define what you believe to be a fair wage....You concluded your last reply with "creature comforts"...Another nondescript blanket statement.
"Again, it strikes me that if you have gained the ability to fly a plane, that should already entitle you to a living wage."...
And again....it is only YOU who have decided that these pilots do not make a 'living wage'....You've shown no evidence to support that. Do yourself a favor. Drop 'entitlement' or derivatives thereof from your vocabulary.
"Guy, I've been around long enough to realize that hiring managers are sort of inept at their jobs. I realize who isn't going to last in a job pretty much the first day they start. How the hiring managers can't figure that out is befuddling. Seriously, 400 applicants, this is the one you picked?"
Ahh, the joeB "I'm perfect" blame game. Save it.
"Um, not really. First, they come up with excuses. In the case I mentioned, their official excuse was they were 'reorganizing the department'. Which we all immediately knew was bullshit. Secondly, suing a company is actually kind of a long process, and usually not worth it."
"we all knew:".....Seriously?....Ahh yes the grand conspiracy. Did any of "we" ever bother to check on the WHOLE department or did you just figure there was "something going on here"?....
On lawsuits. Are you fucking serious? The mere mention of legal action by a person who is a member of protected class is answered with a virtual immediate settlement that usually includes a cash award
"Yeah, guy, they are bigots. Just because they dress up their bigotry in vestments and call it "religion" doesn't make them any less bigots. Frankly, there's a whole lot of rules in the big book of Judean Fairy Tales they ignore. Selectively picking this one makes them bigots."
Notwithstanding your Atheist views, all I see is your closed mind claiming that if a person for whatever reason chooses to object to the gay lifestyle is labeled BY YOU as a bigot...
Ya know what....We don't fucking care about your labels. They no longer have any effect. So flame away. It's a flyspeck....If there are bigots here, it is you people on the left.
As far as you people are concerned, there IS NO other viewpoint.
"Guy, I don't tell rape victims to go out and buy a strap-on dildo and go rape someone else."......Non sequitur
"The rich need to treat the worker bees fairly. Frankly, if you want to use bees as an example, bees are perfectly communistic. Even the "Queen" really doesn't have a much better life. Seriously, all the poor thing does is lay eggs all day."
All business owners are rich?
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! the workers have to do their jobs all day......Aww boo fucking hoo hoo...
"I have a HUGE problem with the parasites on Wall Street, who make nothing and create nothing, profiting off the labor of others and finding new ways to cheat them."
All investors are cheaters...Got it....
Define "fair".....
Automation will never replace people.....How did they build Hoover Dam? Mostly by hand....How did they build the Fontana Dam in NC( second tallest in the US)?.....With machines and a lot fewer people....
Have you been to an auto plant or other manufacturing facility in the last 20 years?.....
All I see here from you is bitching and moaning.
And of course you evaded my comment on you starting your own business.....Why? So you have something to complain about.

Could we end automation by requiring Americans to work for free?
That's a GREAT idea...Imagine the profit margins.

Is your brain not functioning?......Few people with average intelligence would be unable to recognize an absurdity used to make a point....
So has your IQ been tested and the outcome that which resembles room temperature?

My IQ is in the top 2 percent of humanity. Where's yours?

Sure it is.....Ok, why would a person of your self proclaimed intelligence waste their precious time posting among us the great unwashed masses...
Save it.....Nobody cares

So I guess if a machine can do the job at the equivalent of a dollar an hour,

American workers will be expected to work for 99 cents.

And conservatives couldn't be happier.

Yeah, i'll never get them rooting for Americans to make less money and be unemployed. Their hateful greed has driven them mad. More Americans poor and unemployed will not be a good thing.

They won't just magically disappear. They'll still be here and will have to be dealt with. There's a whole lotta flaws in their Robot-Revolution fantasy.
I cannot believe there are people such as yourself who call themselves "intelligent" that believe this nonsense.
Ypu're not thinking this through.
Let's say for a moment that the min wage for these no skill fast food and service workers are given these federally mandated wages.....Just what do you think skilled and educated workers who have busted their asses to get to the wage levels which they EARNED are going to say about this?
Do you think they will just sit there and go "uhh, ok. Now the guy that flips burgers in a fast food joint is making almost as much as me"....
Do you not think those people are going to demand a wage increase in proportion to the new wage?...

Why not demand a wage increase? Good for them. If they don't do it for themselves, who else will? You think businesses give a shit about their workers' struggles? I can assure you they don't. They'll lay their own Mothers off if they think they'll make an extra buck out of it. The world is rough, it sure ain't fair. Sometimes you have to demand yours. Businesses aren't gonna give you anything.
Oh puhleeze......
Demand......Why? Just because?...
You" I demand a wage increase"
Boss: "Excuse me?"
You: " I want more money. You should pay me more"
Boss: "when you can prove to me you've earned a pay raise, come back and see me".
You: "That's not going to work for me"
Boss: "then you are free to explore other employment options. Now, is there anything else you'd like to discuss?"
Conversation ended

They don't care about their workers' struggles. Like i said, they'd lay their own mothers off if they saw an extra buck in it. So, workers should demand theirs. Why not? The world just isn't fair. You have to fight for what you want. Because the harsh reality is, no one cares about your problems. It's all on you.
Who is "they".....
Define "fight"....
How about just doing what generations of other workers have done....That would be , for example, get an education. Learn a trade. Make one's self more valuable to their employer.
Move on to another company that is willing to pay them a higher wage....

Yeah, i'll never get them rooting for Americans to make less money and be unemployed. Their hateful greed has driven them mad. More Americans poor and unemployed will not be a good thing.

They won't just magically disappear. They'll still be here and will have to be dealt with. There's a whole lotta flaws in their Robot-Revolution fantasy.
I cannot believe there are people such as yourself who call themselves "intelligent" that believe this nonsense.
Let's say for a moment that the min wage for these no skill fast food and service workers are given these federally mandated wages.....Just what do you think skilled and educated workers who have busted their asses to get to the wage levels which they EARNED are going to say about this?
Do you think they will just sit there and go "uhh, ok. Now the guy that flips burgers in a fast food joint is making almost as much as me"....
Do you not think those people are going to demand a wage increase in proportion to the new wage?...

Why not demand a wage increase? Good for them. If they don't do it for themselves, who else will? You think businesses give a shit about their workers' struggles? I can assure you they don't. They'll lay their own Mothers off if they think they'll make an extra buck out of it. The world is rough, it sure ain't fair. Sometimes you have to demand yours. Businesses aren't gonna give you anything.
Oh puhleeze......
Boss: "when you can prove to me you've earned a pay raise, come back and see me".
Boss: "then you are free to explore other employment options. Now, is there anything else you'd like to discuss?"
Conversation ended

They don't care about their workers' struggles. Like i said, they'd lay their own mothers off if they saw an extra buck in it. So, workers should demand theirs. Why not? The world just isn't fair. You have to fight for what you want. Because the harsh reality is, no one cares about your problems. It's all on you.
Who is "they".....
Define "fight"....
How about just doing what generations of other workers have done....That would be , for example, get an education. Learn a trade. Make one's self more valuable to their employer.
During the Great Bush Recession of 2008 we were losing 700,000 jobs a month. Those people had trades, had education, they had been valuable to their employers for decades.......yet they were still told their services were no longer necessary

Joe automation has been replacing people since the 80's I know several lights out factory's on 2nd and 3rd shift. The technology works today and continues to get better.

And do those machines run themselves, or do they need someone to operate them, then someone else to check the quality of the parts coming off the line to make sure they aren't screwed up?
Of course...
As opposed to the past where one or more people were used to operate a machine at one time, today those jobs are filled by people with advanced technical skills and 2/4 year degrees. And those technicians can operate multiple machines. They also are trained to make basic repairs. Cross training...
If the equipment is in need of major repairs, a contractor is hired to make those repairs. So what? The tech comes in is paid $75 per hour( for example) and the business does not have to worry about taxes or benefits which can drive the cost of repairs to stratospheric levels. The contractor is essentially in business for himself. he or she makes their own schedule, etc.....Everybody is happy.
IO realize this is all foreign to you Joe....
You're probably conjuring up some venom filled response. One that will include references to sick time. paid holidays, medical benefits and of course you'll wrap that up with some other bullshit referencing the business owner looking to cheat the contractor out of his "entitled benefits"......Please. Spare me the hammer and sickle workers unite horseshit.
Sell that to someone who's buying...

Hamburgers and/or Minimum Wage?

For those fast food employees striking for $15 an hour, let's do some math!

At $15 an hour Johnny Fry-Boy could make $31,200 annually.

An E1 (Private)in the military makes $18,378 annually.

An E5 (Sergeant), 8 years of service, only makes $35,067 annually.

I got to stop you right there, guy.

A private E-1 only make 18K as his BASE salary. He also gets combat pay if he's deployed to a war zone. If he's not living in barracks, he gets a housing allowance. If he's not eating at the Mess Hall every day, he is given a "Separate Rations" allotment. (If he gets the Sep Ration allotment and still eats at the mess hall, the Mess Sergeant is required to have him pay for his meal.) He also gets an alotment if he has dependents, one to pay for his uniform replacements beyond what he was originally issued. Not to mention he gets free medical care FOR LIFE and is eligible for tuition.

In short, you count up all the benefits and allotments, he is make a LOT more than the $15.00 an hour.
Cut the fucking bullshit.....None of that adds up to the risk these good people take so that your ass can spew the stupid shit on USMB....
BTW, .....People in combat roles are working 24 HOURS PER DAY......
FAIL....

Oh puhleeze......
Conversation ended

Who is "they".....
Define "fight"....
During the Great Bush Recession of 2008 we were losing 700,000 jobs a month. Those people had trades, had education, they had been valuable to their employers for decades.......yet they were still told their services were no longer necessary
Obama told us this would be "the new normal"..Pelosi said :"embrace the suck"...
Stop whining.

Forum List

Back