149 years ago today

I'm not sure what welfare rolls have to do with this thread, but you are being completely disingenuous .

The claim was made that a a higher percentage of blacks are on welfare than whites. That is factual information.

Yes.

You tried to counter that by talking about the big picture? What big picture? I've seen you post, I know you're intelligent.

No. Take another look. I am telling Asclepias that his claim that "white people are the largest benefactors" of welfare is false cherry picking, because he's failing to take the big picture (i.e. the point you must made) into account.

oh, i have that dicklicker on ignore, so i didn't see his posts, I thought you werer saying the opposite. My bad

The truth, the Dixiecrats left the Democrat party for one presidential election cycle, then went back to their home, the democrat party. Now, if you disagree then please present the link that proves your point.

The truth, there was NO reason for the southern racist to leave the democrat party, as alledged in the BS about Nixon's southern stratergy. The Republican party supported EVERY civil rights act from the reconstructions. So where would the racists go? They went no where they stay right in the democrat party. Consider this, Nixon did more for blacks then has Obama. IF the racists did change to Republican they certainly didn't get their monies worth.

Here are some accomplishment of Nixon for blacks:

• raised the civil rights enforcement budget 800 percent;
  • doubled the budget for black colleges;
  • appointed more blacks to federal posts and high positions than any president, including LBJ;
  • adopted the Philadelphia Plan mandating quotas for blacks in unions, and for black scholars in colleges and universities;
  • invented “Black Capitalism” (the Office of Minority Business Enterprise), raised U.S. purchases from black businesses from $9 million to $153 million, increased small business loans to minorities 1,000 percent, increased U.S. deposits in minority-owned banks 4,000 percent;
  • raised the share of Southern schools that were desegregated from 10 percent to 70 percent. Wrote the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights in 1975, “It has only been since 1968 that substantial reduction of racial segregation has taken place in the South.”
Read more at The Neocons and Nixon 8217 s southern strategy

So if there was a switch, which there was not, but let's pretend. That means that JFK and LBJ were really conservatives? Or does the left just wish to cherry pick who they think were conservatives and who was not?

:lol:

I'm tempted to put him there myself. It's one thing to try getting away with a cherry picked argument. It's another thing completely to accuse others of cherry picking when they contribute additional data for more accurate context.

:lol:

I'm tempted to put him there myself. It's one thing to try getting away with a cherry picked argument. It's another thing completely to accuse others of cherry picking when they contribute additional data for more accurate context.

He's a worthless lying sack of shit. I've never once seen him post anything worth reading

How and why did anyone at that time justify slavery? What were those people thinking?

1). Were they too lazy to work themselves?
2). Did they believe other races were less equal?

Talk about a dark, dank, horrific time in American history.
what? Owning a slave back then as common as owning a computer today, dont judge or the future generations will judge you

How and why did anyone at that time justify slavery? What were those people thinking?

1). Were they too lazy to work themselves?
2). Did they believe other races were less equal?

Talk about a dark, dank, horrific time in American history.
what? Owning a slave back then as common as owning a computer today, dont judge or the future generations will judge you

according to the 13 amendment will still justify

a certain amount of slavery

The truth, there was NO reason for the southern racist to leave the democrat party

You are repeating the same oversimplified false dilemma, positing a uniaxis political identity where at least a dual axis, if not a tri-axis, is necesary. The parties have never been defined in terms of one issue, though the closest parallel in Civil War era was economic issues. One of the primary causes for the alignment shift that happened was transitioning economic views and priorities. However, there was also evolution across nearly ever form of issue, most of which eventually became viewed as connecting to other issues differently than used to be the case. This same type of realignment has continued to this day, resulting in, for example, a variety of Republican flavors.

Conservative southern Democrats were supported by a primarily rural, working class, and lower income electorate. The aftermath of the Civil War and the abolition of slavery inflicted substantial economic hardship on the south. Some parts still have yet to recover fully, to this day. Meanwhile, the Republicans of those days were more closely aligned with a more liberal, rich elite professional class. Conservatives back then were the champions of the poor and working classes, while liberals were the ones who advocated on behalf of the ownership and business classes. Republicans were champions of federal power, while Democrats were champions of state rights.

As southern Democrats attempted to use state measures to continue suppressing blacks, Republicans attempted to leverage federal power to suppress Jim Crow. As time went on, the race politics of both sides opened the door for both parties memberships to become more diverse on economic issues. By the early 20th century both parties had their own variants of conservative and progressive elements. Economic issues were more complex, and clear economic identities were difficult to maintain, and a variety of other issues became common identifying markers.

Perhaps one of the best examples of the quintessential liberal style of Republican of a century ago is Teddy Roosevelt. Roosevelt once said "We welcome the German and the Irishman who becomes an American. We have no use for the German or Irishman who remains such," in regards to his view that American immigration policy should contain the expectation that an immigrant "Americanize" and become a US citizen. This, his endorsement of the gold standard in monetary policy, and his support for protectionary tariffs to favor American products over foreign imports are examples of positions that would be considered conservative principles by today's standards. But he also pushed Congress to deliver a wealth of new regulations on business, called for substantial estate taxation, supported unions, and was known as the "trust-buster." By modern standards, these would be considered liberal positions.

You are repeating the same oversimplified false dilemma, positing a uniaxis political identity where at least a dual axis, if not a tri-axis, is necesary. The parties have never been defined in terms of one issue, though the closest parallel in Civil War era was economic issues. One of the primary causes for the alignment shift that happened was transitioning economic views and priorities. However, there was also evolution across nearly ever form of issue, most of which eventually became viewed as connecting to other issues differently than used to be the case. This same type of realignment has continued to this day, resulting in, for example, a variety of Republican flavors.

Conservative southern Democrats were supported by a primarily rural, working class, and lower income electorate. The aftermath of the Civil War and the abolition of slavery inflicted substantial economic hardship on the south. Some parts still have yet to recover fully, to this day. Meanwhile, the Republicans of those days were more closely aligned with a more liberal, rich elite professional class. Conservatives back then were the champions of the poor and working classes, while liberals were the ones who advocated on behalf of the ownership and business classes. Republicans were champions of federal power, while Democrats were champions of state rights.

As southern Democrats attempted to use state measures to continue suppressing blacks, Republicans attempted to leverage federal power to suppress Jim Crow. As time went on, the race politics of both sides opened the door for both parties memberships to become more diverse on economic issues. By the early 20th century both parties had their own variants of conservative and progressive elements. Economic issues were more complex, and clear economic identities were difficult to maintain, and a variety of other issues became common identifying markers.

Perhaps one of the best examples of the quintessential liberal style of Republican of a century ago is Teddy Roosevelt. Roosevelt once said "We welcome the German and the Irishman who becomes an American. We have no use for the German or Irishman who remains such," in regards to his view that American immigration policy should contain the expectation that an immigrant "Americanize" and become a US citizen. This, his endorsement of the gold standard in monetary policy, and his support for protectionary tariffs to favor American products over foreign imports are examples of positions that would be considered conservative principles by today's standards. But he also pushed Congress to deliver a wealth of new regulations on business, called for substantial estate taxation, supported unions, and was known as the "trust-buster." By modern standards, these would be considered liberal positions.
LOL. ^^^ this is the biggest bunch of bullshit ever posted. The parties never switched. The democrats of today started the KKK and voted for Jim Crowe laws. The only difference in their control of blacks now is their methods have changed. "I'm gonna have those ******* voting democrat for the next 200 years." --LBJ, democrat

149 years ago today, on Dec. 18, 1865, the 13th Amendment to the Constitution was adopted after ratification by 3/4 of the states. The Amendment prohibited slavery and involuntary servitude throughout the country.

A year before, the amendment had been passed by the Senate, but Democrats in the House voted against it in an effort to keep blacks "in their place" - a trend the Democrats continue to this day, starting and joining groups such as the Ku Klux Klan and passing legislation saying that black people can't manage their lives without the assistance of whites, despite strong objections of Republicans. With extensive political maneuvering by President Lincoln, the House finally overcame the resistance of racist Democrats and passed the Amendment.

How many Democrats can you name that are currently in the KKK?

I've lived here since 1961. I think I have a better personal picture than you do. When I was kid, all of the cops, clergy, judges, businessmen, politicians and any other significant white male personage was a true and vocal southern Democrat. A mere twenty years later that same demographic had flipped parties almost totally. You want to look for the segregationists? Look for the generational wealth that liked the old familiar social order and there they are, donating heavily to the GOP.
Yep, you Southerners all are under the impression that the GOP only supports the rich.

You really don't understand your own region.

I never saw the old South ... so I'm not prejudiced by the memory of it. You on the other hand are. I moved here after the civil rights movement was over. Most of the old landholders are dead and gone long ago. What remains is a middle-class that still hangs on to their Democrat roots, although when you talk to them they sound like Republicans ... but only because you assume their racism or bigotry means they're Republicans. I'm sure that who the wealthy donate to they consider none of your business ... I can only assume you're making it up. Just like you're making up that all of those vocal Southern Democrats changed parties rather than just clammed up or eventual passed away. Up in Kentucky registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by a great deal. They voted in a Democrat governor.
Why are you still trying to contradict what I saw with my own eyes? I am not trying to Bullshit you here, there is only 15 - 20 years between Segregated schools in Alabama and Ronald Reagan, Not going to lose that many bigots from the voter rolls. They switched parties and, more importantly, brought their odious moral majority christian social conservative bullshit with them. Those people were studiously ignored by republicans until their votes began to matter.
You are messing up the narrative. Nobody wants to admit the southern strategy worked even though 2 GOP leaders admitted to it.
It does not really matter, this is a tried and true message board troll topic that I have argued many times. No one actually believes that when the south switched parties they did not bring their political baggage with them.
The parties never switched. Dems still believe in strong government and controlling people.
Yep, Democrats changed their tactics. Easiest thing to be in politics is a Democrat. It means you don't have to be honest.

[
LOL. ^^^ this is the biggest bunch of bullshit ever posted. The parties never switched. The democrats of today started the KKK and voted for Jim Crowe laws. The only difference in their control of blacks now is their methods have changed. "I'm gonna have those ******* voting democrat for the next 200 years." --LBJ, democrat

How many Democrats of 'today' voted for Jim Crow laws?

Name them.

No doubt.
I worked in a factory and was a member of a union here in TN. Lived in Georgia and North Carolina. I've lived in the South longer than I did my home state Montana.

Seems like all of the lower Middle-class whites have the idea that Republicans are only out to help the rich. Seems also that the less informed they are the more likely they vote Democrat. I even had one of them tell everyone that because I was married to a black woman that I'm a ****** and that everyone should avoid me. I also heard he was telling people that if his kids ever came home with a ****** that he would shoot them. His kids, along with the ******. That's pretty much a quote. My boss in the HVAC shop I work in on post is a Democrat. He's lived here all his life. He hates Republicans. To be honest, most of the Republican voters I know that live here are transplants from other states. Moved here because they were in the military.

That's the picture I've seen the last 30 years since I moved here. Other than a short 2 year stint in Germany ... I've lived here since 1984.
I've lived here since 1961. I think I have a better personal picture than you do. When I was kid, all of the cops, clergy, judges, businessmen, politicians and any other significant white male personage was a true and vocal southern Democrat. A mere twenty years later that same demographic had flipped parties almost totally. You want to look for the segregationists? Look for the generational wealth that liked the old familiar social order and there they are, donating heavily to the GOP.
Yep, you Southerners all are under the impression that the GOP only supports the rich.

I never saw the old South ... so I'm not prejudiced by the memory of it. You on the other hand are. I moved here after the civil rights movement was over. Most of the old landholders are dead and gone long ago. What remains is a middle-class that still hangs on to their Democrat roots, although when you talk to them they sound like Republicans ... but only because you assume their racism or bigotry means they're Republicans. I'm sure that who the wealthy donate to they consider none of your business ... I can only assume you're making it up. Just like you're making up that all of those vocal Southern Democrats changed parties rather than just clammed up or eventual passed away. Up in Kentucky registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by a great deal. They voted in a Democrat governor.
Why are you still trying to contradict what I saw with my own eyes? I am not trying to Bullshit you here, there is only 15 - 20 years between Segregated schools in Alabama and Ronald Reagan, Not going to lose that many bigots from the voter rolls. They switched parties and, more importantly, brought their odious moral majority christian social conservative bullshit with them. Those people were studiously ignored by republicans until their votes began to matter.
All I can say is you're making a sweeping accusation based on your own prejudices ... not on real facts. I was shocked to find out that most people that grew up in the South still vote Democrat. You can't change a 400 year old mind-set just by claiming you love Jesus.
You would argue with me if I claimed the sun would rise in east tomorrow AM. If you do not want to claim the legacy of segregation that's fine, I feel no kinship with bigoted people like that and I would hope that you also feel desegregation was necessary. I personally identify with those who opposed such institutionalized racism and still oppose that kind of thing to this day although I wonder about you.
Well, if you're from the South then that is your legacy. If you identify with those who opposed such institutionalized racism that would mean you identify with the GOP, because Democrats even today are pushing institutionalized racism ... only now they're going around causing riots over Ferguson. They're pushing Affirmative Action and special laws in support of Blacks and Hispanics. They claim that the Tea Party is a bunch of White terrorists/racists. They want to make sure that the content of movies are controlled and are now using Al Sharpton to shakedown Sony Pictures. They want to take away an NBA owner's rights to run his team and thus his business because of things he said in a private phone conversation. This is the political party you support. Practicing institutional racism under the guise of political-correctness.

[

Name them.
How many were old enough or even born ... dumb ass.

Last edited:
[

Name them.
How many were old enough ... dumb ass.

Why are you telling me? I'm not the one who claimed it. At least you agree that AVGGuy is full of shit.

All I can say is you're making a sweeping accusation based on your own prejudices ... not on real facts. I was shocked to find out that most people that grew up in the South still vote Democrat. You can't change a 400 year old mind-set just by claiming you love Jesus.
You would argue with me if I claimed the sun would rise in east tomorrow AM. If you do not want to claim the legacy of segregation that's fine, I feel no kinship with bigoted people like that and I would hope that you also feel desegregation was necessary. I personally identify with those who opposed such institutionalized racism and still oppose that kind of thing to this day although I wonder about you.
Well, if you're from the South then that is your legacy. If you identify with those who opposed such institutionalized racism that would mean you identify with the GOP, because Democrats even today are pushing institutionalized racism ... only now they're going around causing riots over Ferguson. They're pushing Affirmative Action and special laws in support of Blacks and Hispanics. They claim that the Tea Party is a bunch of White terrorists/racists. They want to make sure that the content of movies are controlled and are now using Al Sharpton to shakedown Sony Pictures. They want to take away an NBA owner's rights to run his team and thus his business because of things he said in a private phone conversation. This is the political party you support. Practicing institutional racism under the guise of political-correctness.
You are fucking retarded, like talking to one of the dumber tree stumps. I am beginning to think you actually believe your own trolling. Do you actually sit around thinking white people are getting the short end of the stick in this country? Incredible.

You are fucking retarded, like talking to one of the dumber tree stumps. I am beginning to think you actually believe your own trolling. Do you actually sit around thinking white people are getting the short end of the stick in this country? Incredible.

What did you think would happen once the Al Sharptons of the world got the power they wanted? Did you think they would want to bring peace and happiness to America? Bury the hatchet? Nope. They want to turn the tables on us ... and are actively doing so every chance they get. And it's not racist to see this and point out that it's happening today.

Anyone who thinks it couldn't possibly happen must think that some of the favored classes inside the Democrat party would never stoop so low as to do the very thing that took place under Jim Crow once they had the ear of folks in Washington. This is what racism is. Thinking that your race can't be racist. And only a progressive feels that opposing viewpoints are trollish behavior. They can never bring themselves to discuss their warped perspectives on the world. They simply want to prevent the discussion from ever happening ... that way their ideology cannot be challenged.

politicalgrave3.jpg

hummmmm ??

What did you think would happen once the Al Sharptons of the world got the power they wanted? Did you think they would want to bring peace and happiness to America? Bury the hatchet? Nope. They want to turn the tables on us ... and are actively doing so every chance they get. And it's not racist to see this and point out that it's happening today.

Anyone who thinks it couldn't possibly happen must think that some of the favored classes inside the Democrat party would never stoop so low as to do the very thing that took place under Jim Crow once they had the ear of folks in Washington. This is what racism is. Thinking that your race can't be racist. And only a progressive feels that opposing viewpoints are trollish behavior. They can never bring themselves to discuss their warped perspectives on the world. They simply want to prevent the discussion from ever happening ... that way their ideology cannot be challenged.
You did not help your case even one tiny bit and then to talk of warped perspectives, priceless.

You did not help your case even one tiny bit and then to talk of warped perspectives, priceless.
So you believe that Al Sharpton only has good intentions. That he's not a race-hustler?

If so you definitely have a warped perspective.

You speak of things that happened over a hundred years ago and can't even see what's going on today.

Typical liberalism.

You must be one seriously gullible idiot to think that every racist in the Democrat Party suddenly shifted over to the GOP ... especially since the Democrats keep giving them excuses not to vote for the political party that made sure that blacks have civil rights today. Many Democrats are still pissed about that. All they needed was false accusations about helping the rich to keep voting Democrat.

Forum List

Back