14 Ways Obama Can Push Gun Control Without Congress

Most illegal guns come from licensed dealers. Either through theft, straw man purchases or the small precent of dealers that are shady. Less than 15% of illegal guns are stolen from your average citizen, which is one of the reasons I don't favor gun restrictions on private citizens.

No that is not true. Provide a citation or retract it.

Most illegal guns come from licensed dealers. Either through theft, straw man purchases or the small precent of dealers that are shady. Less than 15% of illegal guns are stolen from your average citizen, which is one of the reasons I don't favor gun restrictions on private citizens.

" An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said....ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail gun dealers sell the majority of handguns that are used in crimes."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html

" An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said....ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail gun dealers sell the majority of handguns that are used in crimes."

frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

The FBI disagrees:

FBI reports:
According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from –
  • a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
  • a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
  • family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

An "illegal source" is very broad, and would fall under the same thing ATF says.

So you agree that the ATF is falsifying the numbers?

A "straw buy" is a highly illegal, criminal activity. The gun store has no control over it.

Also, why do so many criminals have Eastern European and Chinese arms, if they are buying them legitimately?

frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

yeah that PBS program was full of shit. They made a million mistakes and unsupported allegations.

Reagan-Scalia-Gun-Ban-sm.jpg

Here's an idea, since I'm absolutely positive that you aren't in favor of the "High Potentate" grabbing every gun in the United States...

why not just begin enforcing the laws that are ALREADY on the books? Wouldn't that solve the problem? Oh, of course not. Communists (like you) won't be happy until we are all under the boot of the central government.

Why not just come out and admit your hatred for all things "American"? I can respect someone who admits that. I have no respect for those who slither out from under rocks, take pot shots and then run and hide.

Not really...not at all hard if you know what to do.

It's virtually impossible.

The reason is that stamping causes metal fatigue which creates distortions that can be detected by laser topography, even if the serial number is ground off or acid washed. The Mexican drug cartels used acid to destroy the serial numbers on the guns Rahm Emanuel sold them in Fast and Furious - yet the FBI was still able to read them.

Destroying serial numbers is like outrunning the cops in a car chase; it looks good in the movies, but doesn't happen in real life.

Actually, it's not hard at all, though tedious: after grinding it off, use a hammer and punch to repeatedly dimple the area and deform the metal.

The biggest question for this thread, is how can anyone live with the executive branch going over congress' head and making de-facto laws? It wasn't cool when Bush was doing it. Why is it cool now?

Forum List

Back