Zelensky Made No Military Gains in 2023

Just one problem...

What makes anyone think Russia would not just push deeper into Ukraine, the moment assistance ends?
If you had bothered to read my post, you would have seen that I addressed this in the need for peacekeepers on the ground. The idea is to reach an agreement, abide by said agreement, and enforce said agreement.

Or into the "Stans" or the other former Soviet Republics, including the Baltic ones.

The question is if Europe and the US are willing to go to war over it.
If they invade a NATO state, then yes, we will go to war over it. As a result, Russia is not going to invade a NATO state because they cannot sustain a war against us.

If you had bothered to read my post, you would have seen that I addressed this in the need for peacekeepers on the ground. The idea is to reach an agreement, abide by said agreement, and enforce said agreement.
No need for "peacekeepers" once the despotic clown Tenpercentskyy is toppled, and Ukraine restored to a relatively decent nation.

If they invade a NATO state, then yes, we will go to war over it. As a result, Russia is not going to invade a NATO state because they cannot sustain a war against us.

They may think the Baltic States aren't "NATO enough" and then put it to the test.

You assume the Russian leadership will guess right or not guess at all.

They may think the Baltic States aren't "NATO enough" and then put it to the test.

You assume the Russian leadership will guess right or not guess at all.
I don't know. I think we have been pretty clear about the Baltic states. I will say that deterrence depends somewhat on America projecting strength and not meely-mouthed diplomacy and constantly changing, reactive foreign policy like we got from Obama and now Biden.

OP, has Russia made any military gains?

If
so, what are they?

Last edited:
I don't know. I think we have been pretty clear about the Baltic states. I will say that deterrence depends somewhat on America projecting strength and not meely-mouthed diplomacy and constantly changing, reactive foreign policy like we got from Obama and now Biden.

That assumes as you said the Russians believe Europe and the US have the balls to put their military where their mouth is.

Look at the example of Czechoslovakia being abandoned at Munich.

The Ukrainians may have not made much of a gain this year but neither did the Russians.

In a war that was suppose to be over in a week the fact that the Ukrainians have held out for almost two years and have inflicted serious losses on the Russian forces is just short of a miracle.
The Russians have already achieved their goal...a land bridge to Crimea, access to fresh water for Crimea and continued access to their warm water port on the Black Sea.

All they have to do now is continue holding the territory they already occupy.

Screenshot_20231219-130927-024.png

Last edited:

Russia's goal remains unchanged.
No....Putin said that he wanted Finland next....Moldova is just a mere blip in between....so is Slovakia and the Czech Republick.

You really don't understand the Russian Federation whatsoever. They want to re-unite ALL the former Soviet Union countries together once again....they think that for whatever reason they have been lured away but desperately need to be taken back under the control of Russian leadership again.

Russia itself is a blend of 9 people groups....that fought each other constantly until they were united under a former leader (Peter).

To think otherwise is a Western mindset and not Eastern.

The Ukrainians may have not made much of a gain this year but neither did the Russians.

In a war that was suppose to be over in a week the fact that the Ukrainians have held out for almost two years and have inflicted serious losses on the Russian forces is just short of a miracle.
Ukraine can make annexation too expensive politically and economically for Putin....winning? They actually did have a good chance but the American advisors chosen are the "B" team and not the "A" team. And by that I mean those loyal to Biden politically. Usually it's Republicans who illicit the best military minds.

Russia has lost over 350,000 lives (admitted) but the number is likely much higher. So far, the worst for him was his officers that have died. The troops have been those of the poorest neighborhoods and prisons which have no political voice whatsoever.
But these people groups are beginning to run very low on men capable of serving. Soon its going to be those that are going to cost him politically and economically even moreso than before. (Always nice when you can erase the dregs of society by using them as cannon fodder)

So....Putin can't really escalate and Ukraine has valued its personnel more (due to never having enough)

Ukraine has nationalism and better overall morale....they will eventually win....but not for a while as yet another round of more severe sanctions has been approved.

This war is costing Russia a LOT. Elon Musk is pissed (as well as others) because the materials from Russia used in their products has stopped until sanctions are lifted.

No....Putin said that he wanted Finland next....
No, he didn't but even if he did, Russia wouldn't be capable of doing it. Don't forget that Russia is only a gas station with nuclear weapons.

No, seriously John, there is no large nuclear power that is capable of defeating another unless the aggressor resorts to nuclear war, Then all sides lose.

You can't make Russia out to be the omnipotent superpower that's capable of defeating America/Nato countries and then becoming the world's dominant force. Even if they do have superior rocket capabilities than America. Russia could conceivably sink all of America's aircraft carriers, but still not be capable of taking the war to America's 48.

Are you suggesting Russia and China combined, with Iran and several other Brics countries?

Ukraine can make annexation too expensive politically and economically for Putin....winning? They actually did have a good chance but the American advisors chosen are the "B" team and not the "A" team. And by that I mean those loyal to Biden politically. Usually it's Republicans who illicit the best military minds.

Russia has lost over 350,000 lives (admitted) but the number is likely much higher.
No again John, not true and certainly not admitted. Neither has the Ukraine admitted that it has lost 500,000.

Let's get back to what we really know. America hasn't been capable of defeating Russia so far.

And Russia 'has' admitted that it will not submit to being defeated.

We are destroying Russias military industrial complex and not having to expend a drop of American blood to do it.

Feed Ukraine as long as they exist.

I've only heard him say repeatedly that Russia needs to defend its borders against US/Nato aggression.
Which no rational, informed person ever believed. Putn knew he was lying, when he said that.

In fact, he has much of Russia believing that NATO is attacking Russia, right now.

If you had bothered to read my post, you would have seen that I addressed this in the need for peacekeepers on the ground

Peacekeepers... from where? That would not deter putin. He has already threatened the world with nukes for this very act.

but he is going to have a change of heart?

Forum List

Back