Zelensky Made No Military Gains in 2023

The Russians have already achieved their goal...a land bridge to Crimea, access to fresh water for Crimea and continued access to their warm water port on the Black Sea.

All they have to do now is continue holding the territory they already occupy.

View attachment 875518
Their goal was and is the 'demilitarization' and 'denazification' of Ukraine, or at least how they see that. It is no wonder that various Russian officials, including Putin himself, claimed that the 'SMO' would continue until all goals were met.

Ukraine can make annexation too expensive politically and economically for Putin....winning? They actually did have a good chance but the American advisors chosen are the "B" team and not the "A" team. And by that I mean those loyal to Biden politically. Usually it's Republicans who illicit the best military minds.

Russia has lost over 350,000 lives (admitted) but the number is likely much higher. So far, the worst for him was his officers that have died. The troops have been those of the poorest neighborhoods and prisons which have no political voice whatsoever.
But these people groups are beginning to run very low on men capable of serving. Soon its going to be those that are going to cost him politically and economically even moreso than before. (Always nice when you can erase the dregs of society by using them as cannon fodder)

So....Putin can't really escalate and Ukraine has valued its personnel more (due to never having enough)

Ukraine has nationalism and better overall morale....they will eventually win....but not for a while as yet another round of more severe sanctions has been approved.

This war is costing Russia a LOT. Elon Musk is pissed (as well as others) because the materials from Russia used in their products has stopped until sanctions are lifted.
According to most of the Prog produced news reports ever since the war started, Russia lost every battle. It seems they lost all of their field artillery, aircraft and ships. With all of this, Ukraine should be Vladivostok. Propaganda and lies is what rules us now.

Their goal was and is the 'demilitarization' and 'denazification' of Ukraine, or at least how they see that. It is no wonder that various Russian officials, including Putin himself, claimed that the 'SMO' would continue until all goals were met.
The actual goal was clearly to sieze the entire eastern half of Ukraine within the first 2 months, with the western half falling into line after.

He tried to roll 100s of tanks straight to Kyiv, and he had the new leader of Ukriane waiting in Belarus to take over in Kyiv. That's how quickly Putin thought he would take Kyiv.

Then the incompetent Putin and his incompetent army lined the tanks up single file on a road in the middle of mud fields.

Yeah... And we attacked Iraq to kill the terrorists and stop Saddam from producing weapons of mass destruction. 🙄

Putin said what he had to say to Mother Russia to make the war palatable to the Babushkas.

I understand you must toe the party line...the GRU is likely watching your every post.

The actual goal was clearly to sieze the entire eastern half of Ukraine within the first 2 months, with the western half falling into line after.

He tried to roll 100s of tanks straight to Kyiv, and he had the new leader of Ukriane waiting in Belarus to take over in Kyiv. That's how quickly Putin thought he would take Kyiv.

Then the incompetent Putin and his incompetent army lined the tanks up single file on a road in the middle of mud fields.
There are little doubts that the Putin regime expected this SMO to be a quick military operation with relatively small numbers involved and turning it into a 'military police' mission soon afterwards. Something like their Crimean operation in 2014 was, but in much greater scale.

But their expectations didn't come true, and instead of snap and victorious campaign they got heavy war lasting for almost 2 years. Will this war be victorious for them after all? I don't know. I have little doubts that the regime will manage to keep the occupied Ukrainian lands for the foreseeable future.

The rest of Ukraine? I can't rule out they will be able to turn Ukraine back under their sphere of influence. But then again, will it be a victory (or even the Victory) as they want to present? Don't know. The Pyrrhic victory, at best.

There are little doubts that the Putin regime expected this SMO to be a quick military operation with relatively small numbers involved and turning it into a 'military police' mission soon afterwards. Something like their Crimean operation in 2014 was, but in much greater scale.

But their expectations didn't come true, and instead of snap and victorious campaign they got heavy war lasting for almost 2 years. Will this war be victorious for them after all? I don't know. I have little doubts that the regime will manage to keep the occupied Ukrainian lands for the foreseeable future.

The rest of Ukraine? I can't rule out they will be able to turn Ukraine back under their sphere of influence. But then again, will it be a victory (or even the Victory) as they want to present? Don't know. The Pyrrhic victory, at best.
And let's remember:

The only reason Putin holds 10% of Ukriane is that he made an offensive nuclear threat. Not defensive. Offensive.

This violates every modern precept of MADD and of relative peace.

He needs to go.

Yeah... And we attacked Iraq to kill the terrorists and stop Saddam from producing weapons of mass destruction. 🙄

Putin said what he had to say to Mother Russia to make the war palatable to the Babushkas.

I understand you must toe the party line...the GRU is likely watching your every post.
Oh, man. To understand how the Russians view this war, and the Russian 'elites' too, you should understand their mindset. Actually, reading posts of Russian posters here might help you understand that had you taken a closer look on that.

The Russians are one of the biggest buffoons on Earth having a complex of their false grandeur. In their eyes they fight not for some land bridges or ports, or even not against 'Ukrainian Nazis' per se, but against American hegemonism and decadent Western values. They view Russia as a 'state-civilization' with its own periphery and sphere of influence.

Read about Russian November 2021 demands to the US and NATO. They were not only about Ukraine. They were also about taking all 'military infrastructure' of NATO to 1997 borders.

Oh, man. To understand how the Russians view this war, and the Russian 'elites' too, you should understand their mindset. Actually, reading posts of Russian posters here might help you understand that had you taken a closer look on that.

The Russians are one of the biggest buffoons on Earth having a complex of their false grandeur. In their eyes they fight not for some land bridges or ports, or even not against 'Ukrainian Nazis' per se, but against American hegemonism and decadent Western values. They view Russia as a 'state-civilization' with its own periphery and sphere of influence.

Read about Russian November 2021 demands to the US and NATO. They were not only about Ukraine. They were also about taking all 'military infrastructure' of NATO to 1997 borders.
That's right. And they made those demands not out of fear of invasion by NATO, but out of fear that Putin could not invade his neighbors with relative impunity, the moment he felt like doing so.

And let's remember:

The only reason Putin holds 10% of Ukriane is that he made an offensive nuclear threat. Not defensive. Offensive.

This violates every modern precept of MADD and of relative peace.

He needs to go.
More like 20% percent, but nevertheless. He isn't going to go anywhere. He really has strong support among his population. He excellently caters to chauvinistic aspirations of his populace and believes in that himself. The SMO has become a national Russian idea.

That's right. And they made those demands not out of fear of invasion by NATO, but out of fear that Putin could not invade his neighbors with relative impunity, the moment he felt like doing so.
The only reason why they made these demands was because they believed 'the time has come' - presumably the West became too week and Russia became strong enough.

More like 20% percent, but nevertheless. He isn't going to go anywhere. He really has strong support among his population. He excellently caters to chauvinistic aspirations of his populace and believes in that himself. The SMO has become a national Russian idea.
Right, he needs to be helped to the exit.

The only reason why they made these demands was because they believed 'the time has come' - presumably the West became too week and Russia became strong enough.
Because he was under the impression that Trump had weakened NATO and Western alliances greatly, just as he had designed in trying to get Trump elected.

Imagine Putin's dismay when the entire alliance lined up behind Joe Biden and the US in the matter of about two days.

Too much propaganda. Reading what you cannot trust on a subject on which your knowledge is not complete only creates a faulty lattice for understanding.
I doubt that they are fundamentally different from any other population.
I'll do that.

No, I do not like Putin. But I like pissing away our own money on an unwinnable war even less. Ukraine has proven that without a constant flow of billions of American dollars in support and military hardware, Ukraine cannot defeat Russia. To any sane person, there was never a chance of Ukraine defeating Russia and driving them from Ukraine. Continued American support for Ukraine, a corrupt country with a thousand sticky hands in the western handout jar, is not sustainable. The United States is not at war with Russia. If we want to go to war with Russia over Ukraine, then we need to go to war with Russia. While I think this would be foolhardy on our part, it is the truth.

Given that the Ukraine military cannot go on without our financial help, then our continued funding of Zelensky and his Sticky Fingers Crew makes it absolutely clear that America IS at war with Russia, albeit by proxy. This is not good, and it invites retaliation from Russia and her allies. Moreover, it makes no sense. America needs to use whatever leverage it still has with Ukraine and shove them into a negotiation with Russia, preferably brokered by America, to end this war. And yes, that means ceding land to Russia in the form of the land bridge to Crimea and territory inhabited by majority ethnic Russians. Some peacekeeping forces and no-fly zones will most likely be needed to minimize Russian brutality against Ukrainians.

I take no pleasure in this result. But I take less pleasure in this adventure in Ukraine continuing. But wars happen. Borders shift. That is the way of the world. While we have authoritarian dictators like Putin around, it will continue.
As long as we’re just sending material, I don’t see the problem.

Just one problem...

What makes anyone think Russia would not just push deeper into Ukraine, the moment assistance ends?
Because they have already ruined their own military in the effort. Putin also needs a way out of the misadventure. He has foolishly squandered 100,000 Russian lives and left twice that many badly hurt. The really dark criminals here are neither Russian nor Ukranians....they are the denisons of war for profit and their demon lords inhabit DC. The destruction of an entire nation was needless.

According to most of the Prog produced news reports ever since the war started, Russia lost every battle. It seems they lost all of their field artillery, aircraft and ships. With all of this, Ukraine should be Vladivostok. Propaganda and lies is what rules us now.
Well they certainly do have equipment issues. Also all sorts of supply issues and morale issues.
That doesn't mean that they have lost yet or can't fight....it just means that they really don't have the manpower and equipment necessary to win unless Ukraine gives completely up. (Not happening with their level of nationalism)

So...the Russians are going to have to continuously fight to keep what they have....which IS a problem for them under increasingly heavier sanctions. They are going to pull out eventually....just a matter of time.

Because he was under the impression that Trump had weakened NATO and Western alliances greatly, just as he had designed in trying to get Trump elected.

Imagine Putin's dismay when the entire alliance lined up behind Joe Biden and the US in the matter of about two days.
Oh, again this partisan stuff, you Americans so love. No, I don't consider Trump to be Putin's asset. Did the Russians think that with Trump in office the US policy would turn more in Russia's favor? You can be sure they did. But I don't consider him as a 'pro- Russian' politician. After all, it was the Trump administration that began supplying Ukraine with weapons. Yes, they were in quite limited numbers, but nevertheless. Not Obama.

About the current policy of the Biden administration toward Ukraine, it is just doomed to fail. And only completely blind can't see that. They should either adjust it to realities or just go.

Forum List

Back