yule log hints and ideas?

they are soaked in rum....i love fruit cake....alas the sugar is too high

Oooo, Rum cake. My cousin makes the best Rum cake.

It'll get ya tore up!

Tastes so good, though! It's like..Super-chocolate Devil's food with Rum all in it.

Best I've ever tasted.

thats too easy

I'd go with a Strawberry Shortcake yule log. If you want more fruit, maybe mix in a parfait or fruit blend with sponge or angel food cake... I think people want a light/sweet dessert after a big Thanksgiving meal.

I bet there's still a fruitcake or two in my fridge someplace.

They never seem to decay, wonder why?

They never get eaten, either. :badgrin:
Last year after Christmas I saw a spot on the news about a fruitcake throwing competition. Like hurling. (ya know--throwing stuff, not puking)

I bet there's still a fruitcake or two in my fridge someplace.

They never seem to decay, wonder why?

They never get eaten, either. :badgrin:
Last year after Christmas I saw a spot on the news about a fruitcake throwing competition. Like hurling. (ya know--throwing stuff, not puking)

I seem to recall something about that. I have a couple entries..somewhere.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/77405687316253486/

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 2/3 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • FILLING:
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • FROSTING:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Sift flour, baking cocoa, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with cocoa powder. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; cool completely on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, for the filling, beat the cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and almond extract, beating until stiff peaks form. Unroll the cake; spread the filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, milk and vanilla until smooth. Frost the cake, using a metal spatula to create a bark-like effect. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Yule Log in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p41

i cant remember right now ....i know its not that long...and you dont do it till it cools....it will crack handled that much...i roll it up then relax it...then fill it .and roll it back again...the bad thing ....everyone else bakes too just i am the one with the time to do this, this time...so they are gonna judge me and the yule log

so i get to bring dessert for thanksgiving dinner.....and they want a yule log....so far i have discovered my hubby has trash my large baking sheet...so i need a 15 x 10 x 1 baking sheet and a ton of supplies....and they want chocolate....i do a rather traditional one with the cute mushrooms...so any recipes or hints? i have to hit a bakery and get serving container ...

A Black Forest log! - not sure how to make one. But, I'd use mascarpone and whipped cream with bits of candied cherries and a dribble of kirsch for the filling. Chocolate ganache on top, decorated with cherries atop small mounds of chocolate whipped cream, or chocolate mousse also with a dribble of kirsch added in. Or you could look for a recipe.:)

Recently, for the first time, caught part of a British baking show in which one of the tasks was making a log, There's a trick to the baking/handling of the sponge cake to make it easier to roll up - for the life of me I can't remember what it was. :eusa_doh:

Forum List

Back